What is God really like?

Then we have the Christians who really love Jesus, but do not like the God of the OT, for he was 'cruel and bad", but was the very same God both testaments!
Now that is indeed a consideration. Objectors to the Bible generally go right into the OT where they point their fingers of accusation against God.

MM

Yes sir. The same God who came up with the glories of heaven is the same God who came up with the torments of Hell!
God grace all the way thru even in the OT, as how many times should he turned aside such a worthless people as they were to Him many times?

That would be the Jews under the Old Covenant, the ones that always seemed to be in rebellion against the ways of Yahweh!

YF, I don't know that I would have chosen that word as a descriptor of the Jews. We do read where they are referred to as a "stiff necked" and "rebellious" people. Do you really think "worthless" is the right adjective given that they were/are God's chosen people through whom the earth has observed the demonstrated grace and power of God? Did not the Lord demonstrate His regard for them with the coming of Christ Jesus exclusively to them after centuries of rebellion and idolatry?

MM

YF, I don't know that I would have chosen that word as a descriptor of the Jews. We do read where they are referred to as a "stiff necked" and "rebellious" people. Do you really think "worthless" is the right adjective given that they were/are God's chosen people through whom the earth has observed the demonstrated grace and power of God? Did not the Lord demonstrate His regard for them with the coming of Christ Jesus exclusively to them after centuries of rebellion and idolatry?

MM
You are right, as rebellious would be a better way to describe them!

Then we have the Christians who really love Jesus, but do not like the God of the OT, for he was 'cruel and bad", but was the very same God both testaments!
Then they don't really love Jesus do they.

I like to remind them of the 'sweet and loving' Jesus found in the New Testament
...in Revelation..

Revelation 19:11-15 (KJV) And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war. His eyes were as a flame of fire, and on his head were many crowns; and he had a name written, that no man knew, but he himself. And he was clothed with a vesture dipped in blood: and his name is called The Word of God. And the armies which were in heaven followed him upon white horses, clothed in fine linen, white and clean. And out of his mouth goeth a sharp sword, that with it he should smite the nations: and he shall rule them with a rod of iron: and he treadeth the winepress of the fierceness and wrath of Almighty God.

Last edited:
Back