What Is Happening Cfs?! :)

Ok, ok, I left the gate late. I see you are a "Sr Encourager Mod". You are obviously good at the encouraging, you should ask for a raise.
My name is John. The only sign language I know is foul and can get you slapped or punched.
1) Tell me one random fact about you. I'm as clumsy as a moose, but I look cute with my thumbs attached to the sides of my head with my hands shaped as antlers.
2) Tell me a good joke. Why didn't Noah and his family have much fish to eat on the ark? They only took two worms with them.
3) Would you rather never have access to the Internet or have NIcolas Cage always be within one meter of you? Oh easy, Nick Cage with me. I'd take him to church with me and sing Christian music to him and see if he would catch on fire.
4) And what's been the MOST exciting thing that has happened to you in the 6 months? Was asked to sing "Drink a Beer" by Luke Bryan for the end of a church service, yes a church service, in which a widowed member spoke about losing her husband. This song spoke to her about her ordeal, and since I could play guitar and sing, she asked me to perform it. My wife told me to think about my sister who pasted away from cancer at age 45, so I would have more "feeling" in the song. I ended up getting all choked up through the song and was barely able to finish it. Talk about a humbling experience.

Also I play guitar and write some music. I have taken lyrics from old hymnbook songs and put new music to them.

I'm sorry about your sister.

I'm currently learning the classical guitar and piano. Guitar chords are killing me.

I would love to play the guitar and the drums! Tell me, was it difficult to learn?

The only time I remember trying a drum kit, I thought it impossible. Gettting two hands to work didn't seem too bad but the minute the foot came in, one hand or other would follow the foot!

Drums of another type (the bodhran) can have a bad name in the sort of music I've played most. People see them as an easy route in but are quite capable of say battering 4/4 time out to a jig (that's 6/8 time), completely oblivious to what they are doing,. They can be great but the instrument is so dominant that it really needs a person who knows the tunes and who has sensitivity to the music playing one.

Anyway, to move to guitar briefly. The first thing you might get from one is sore fingers. It's just a stage we go through while the finger tips harden up.

@xspinningisfun
I never took any lessons, so I guess I made it harder to learn. I concentrated on playing chords rather than learning scales. So that makes me more of a strummer than a picker.
To start, you can make it easy by tuning your guitar to what they call an open tuning, which means tune all the strings to play a major chord when you strum it and don't hold any strings down. This allows you to take one finger and hold all the strings down on any one fret and be able to play any major chord depending on which fret you hold the strings down at. Many songs can be played that way.
Otherwise you have to learn chord "shapes". This refers to the relationship your fingers have to each other when fretting (pushing down the strings). It comes down to teaching your fingers to naturally go where they need to go.
What made me start? I guess God had this planned for me, so about 10 years ago I kept getting the urge to learn and I kept with it. It's really wild to think back to when I started and not knowing He would give me the ability to arrange music.

@xspinningisfun
I never took any lessons, so I guess I made it harder to learn. I concentrated on playing chords rather than learning scales. So that makes me more of a strummer than a picker.
To start, you can make it easy by tuning your guitar to what they call an open tuning, which means tune all the strings to play a major chord when you strum it and don't hold any strings down. This allows you to take one finger and hold all the strings down on any one fret and be able to play any major chord depending on which fret you hold the strings down at. Many songs can be played that way.
Otherwise you have to learn chord "shapes". This refers to the relationship your fingers have to each other when fretting (pushing down the strings). It comes down to teaching your fingers to naturally go where they need to go.
What made me start? I guess God had this planned for me, so about 10 years ago I kept getting the urge to learn and I kept with it. It's really wild to think back to when I started and not knowing He would give me the ability to arrange music.

For me, the mandolin or the the GDAE (and yes only 4 strings) tunings are more logical and I find myself wanting to play the melody.

For you, what tuning do you use, DADGAD? or a full open chord?

I question I'd like to ask you is does Antigua have any Calypso like music (I'm quite fond for example of Jamaica Farewell) or other traditional type of music?

Well, I'm Jamaican. Our music is reggae. Antigua's music is soca but I'm not sure, I would have to ask my folks there. Trinidad's music is calypso. I don't much because I don't pay much attention to the name of the music. I believe Antigua does have calypso type music. I have to get back to you tomorrow, though.

For me, the mandolin or the the GDAE (and yes only 4 strings) tunings are more logical and I find myself wanting to play the melody.

For you, what tuning do you use, DADGAD? or a full open chord?
Yes, I like the sound of a mandolin, it has a very distinct sound. The Isaacs in southern gospel use mandolin quite often, they do a lot of bluegrass, and they are one of my favorites.

I have an acoustic that I play with standard tuning. I have my dad's Dobro on which I play some slide guitar, so I use open chord DADF#AD or FFCFAF for a less muddy sound and a stronger bass sound. I have a baritone voice, so on bluesy songs with 7th and 9th notes in the vocals, I find that it sounds better with the less cluttered FFCFAF tuning.

I am a staff writer for GotQuestions going on 10 years (though we all do not always agree on every theological issue)

"Why did the chicken cross the road" because he was a priest (domini, domini, domini)!

Neither....

I got to debate an Israelite Jewish person (very learned) on Isaiah 52:13-53 on whether or not this song of Isaiah addresses Messiah...

Nice to meet you also sis...

In His love

Paul

I am a staff writer for GotQuestions going on 10 years (though we all do not always agree on every theological issue)

"Why did the chicken cross the road" because he was a priest (domini, domini, domini)!

Neither....

I got to debate an Israelite Jewish person (very learned) on Isaiah 52:13-53 on whether or not this song of Isaiah addresses Messiah...

Nice to meet you also sis...

In His love

Paul
Oh, wow! I've been to that website numerous times. It's an honor :)

Nice to meet you as well.

Well, I'm Jamaican. Our music is reggae. Antigua's music is soca but I'm not sure, I would have to ask my folks there. Trinidad's music is calypso. I don't much because I don't pay much attention to the name of the music. I believe Antigua does have calypso type music. I have to get back to you tomorrow, though.

Thanks.

Another question if I'm allowed on a different subject. Do many of you follow cricket? Starting in my teens the West Indies, then captained by Clive Lloyd had a great side. I was hopeless (except I think I could catch a ball) but I think many of my generation would have loved to have batted like Viv Richards or bowled like any of a number including Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, etc. As I've got older, I don't do sporting hero's the way I did as a youngster, but, none the less, I still follow the game and have fond memories of those sides. My parents would mention Garry Sobers but he's just a bit before me watching the game.

I sort of tend to assume everyone from your part of the world (and Ravindran's - wonder if he remembers Kapil Dev or Bishan Bedi btw) follows cricket but I'm not sure if it's true.

Thanks.

Another question if I'm allowed on a different subject. Do many of you follow cricket? Starting in my teens the West Indies, then captained by Clive Lloyd had a great side. I was hopeless (except I think I could catch a ball) but I think many of my generation would have loved to have batted like Viv Richards or bowled like any of a number including Michael Holding, Malcolm Marshall, etc. As I've got older, I don't do sporting hero's the way I did as a youngster, but, none the less, I still follow the game and have fond memories of those sides. My parents would mention Garry Sobers but he's just a bit before me watching the game.

I sort of tend to assume everyone from your part of the world (and Ravindran's - wonder if he remembers Kapil Dev or Bishan Bedi btw) follows cricket but I'm not sure if it's true.

Ok. well yes. Cricket is THE sport here. THE SPORT. lol.

Regarding music, I still need to ask my folks. But Antiguan music is soca. I know there's more, but I'm not remembering them.
Jamaica is reggae. But we do have different types. But reggae is the main style.

I play cricket also!! LOOK!

giant_crickets4.jpg

Back