What is the difference between these words, Gehenna, Sheol, Hades, hell and tarterus and lake of fir

γέεννα geenna (gheh'-en-nah) n.
1. valley of (the son of) Hinnom
2. ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem,

- Original: שׁאל שׁאול
- Transliteration: Sh@'owl
- Phonetic: sheh-ole'
- Definition:
1. sheol, underworld, grave, hell, pit
a. the underworld
b. Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead
1. place of no return
2. without praise of God
3. wicked sent there for punishment
4. righteous not abandoned to it
5. of the place of exile (fig)
6. of extreme degradation in sin

ᾅδης hades (hah"-dace) n.
1. (properly) unseen
2. (commonly) "Hades," the place (state) of departed souls

ταρταρόω tartaroo (tar-tar-oh'-o) v.
1. to incarcerate in the Abyss "Tatarus" to await final judgement and eternal torment

Lake of Fire is just that and hell is English.

Anything else?

γέεννα geenna (gheh'-en-nah) n.
1. valley of (the son of) Hinnom
2. ge-henna (or Ge-Hinnom), a valley of Jerusalem,

- Original: שׁאל שׁאול
- Transliteration: Sh@'owl
- Phonetic: sheh-ole'
- Definition:
1. sheol, underworld, grave, hell, pit
a. the underworld
b. Sheol - the OT designation for the abode of the dead
1. place of no return
2. without praise of God
3. wicked sent there for punishment
4. righteous not abandoned to it
5. of the place of exile (fig)
6. of extreme degradation in sin

ᾅδης hades (hah"-dace) n.
1. (properly) unseen
2. (commonly) "Hades," the place (state) of departed souls

ταρταρόω tartaroo (tar-tar-oh'-o) v.
1. to incarcerate in the Abyss "Tatarus" to await final judgement and eternal torment

Lake of Fire is just that and hell is English.

Anything else?

can you simplify it ?

Gehenna was a garbage pit that burned the garbage outside of Jerusalem. Sheol is hell, the grave, the underworld. Hades is Greek for Sheol. Tartaroo is where the angels that mated with the daughters of men are located awaiting judgement, Jude 1:6 and the pit where the devil will be placed for 1000 years, Rev 20:3, Mat 8:30-32. The lake of fire is where death and hell go to die.

Gehenna was a garbage pit that burned the garbage outside of Jerusalem. Sheol is hell, the grave, the underworld. Hades is Greek for Sheol. Tartaroo is where the angels that mated with the daughters of men are located awaiting judgement, Jude 1:6 and the pit where the devil will be placed for 1000 years, Rev 20:3, Mat 8:30-32. The lake of fire is where death and hell go to die.

Not to debate it but just to give my opinion on .......
"Tartaroo is where the angels that mated with the daughters of men are located awaiting judgement."

1) The angels are spiritual beings without physical bodies
and are incapable of procreation so there would not have been and sexual activity between demons and humans.

2) Jesus taught that at the resurrection, people, like the angels in heaven "neither marry nor be given in
marriage" - as seen in Mt 22:30.

But then it might be said that the sin of angels is something that took place before The Fall of man as is vividly portrayed in John Milton's "Paradise Lost".

Then scriptural evidence is for demons to have sex is very vague, and dependent upon passages that may be and are uselly taken out of context.

But that is just me.

Not to debate it but just to give my opinion on .......
"Tartaroo is where the angels that mated with the daughters of men are located awaiting judgement."

1) The angels are spiritual beings without physical bodies
and are incapable of procreation so there would not have been and sexual activity between demons and humans.

2) Jesus taught that at the resurrection, people, like the angels in heaven "neither marry nor be given in
marriage" - as seen in Mt 22:30.

But then it might be said that the sin of angels is something that took place before The Fall of man as is vividly portrayed in John Milton's "Paradise Lost".

Then scriptural evidence is for demons to have sex is very vague, and dependent upon passages that may be and are uselly taken out of context.

But that is just me.
Yep. We'll agree to disagree. If you remember, our first speed bump was on this subject right when I joined. People are supposed to marry so to procreate legally. Man doesn't follow the rules, fallen angels won't either, and there's no reason for them to marry to begin with. :)

Yep. We'll agree to disagree. If you remember, our first speed bump was on this subject right when I joined. People are supposed to marry so to procreate legally. Man doesn't follow the rules, fallen angels won't either, and there's no reason for them to marry to begin with. :)

Yes I remember. I still love ya though!!(y)

and all other words i might have missed :)

There is not a total consensus in the Christian community about the particulars.

The vast majority of Christians, however, boil the doctrine down to this: after you die, your soul will be judged by the Lord Jesus Christ after which you will be cosigned to heaven or hell for eternity. In a lot of Churches the sole determiner of this is whether or not you accepted the Gospel, and accepted Christ's sacrifice on the cross. Those who have are then rewarded for their good deed in heaven, while those who did not are punished for their bad deeds in hell.

Now, there is some variation on the intermediate state between death and final judgment. So, some traditions hold that the dead reside in Hades/Sheol awaiting judgment, and thus these hold neutral connotations. Gehenna, hell, tartarus and the lake of fire are all effectively synonymous.

Catholicism has another place called purgatory. In a rather hasty summary, when a person commits a sin they are expected to attend confession and will be assigned a penance by the priest. If they complete their penance on Earth before they die, they go straight to heaven. If they fail to do this, they will spend some amount of time in purgatory. If the person, willingly and knowingly, commits a grave sin, is not sorry for it, and does not confess it, then they are damned to hell forever.

A small fraction of Christians believe that after death the damned are punished in hades for some amount of time and then eventually destroyed completely (annihilated). Thus cease to exist.

Another small fraction believe that hell and all of its synonyms are really just a form of purgatory, and view eternal to be more akin to indefinite, or for the age, meaning that at some point everyone will ultimately be saved.

I personally make a distinction here, because I think that in some places hell (particularly Gehenna) is meant as the rejection of everything good, or the absence of it (Godlessness if you will) and in other places (the lake of fire) it is meant as the actual punishment, where God penetrates the darkness and everything evil is tormented by God's revealing light. This fits well into Biblical doctrine, and I also think it help alleviate some fear that people have. Good people have nothing to fear from God, it is only those who persist in evil that are punished, and I think it is a theological fallacy to suggest that the wicked are punished by demons beyond the presence of God. Rather, the wicked are held accountable by God, and they'll be tormented by the demons they themselves created.

That being said, nobody is perfect, so even the good people have to search themselves and deal with their own demons and look to God for forgiveness.

Back