What is the difference between your Soul and your Spirit?

What is the difference between your Soul and your Spirit?

As I understand it your soul is your will and emotions and your spirit is that part of you that connects to God, the part of God. When you die, does your soul also die and your spirit keeps on living?

Your soul is who you are. The Spirit gives life. Your body will be united one day with your soul,(after the first death, cestation(sp?) of life) who your are, your personality on that great day for eternal judgement or life with our Savior.
Hope that helps:)

1 Thessalonians 5:23

23And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

So I guess judging from this verse that both must be blameless before the lord but do they both go back with him? I think yes because where else would your spirit want to go?​

If you are saved our spirit and soul go to God when you die.

1 Thessalonians 5:23

23And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.​

So I guess judging from this verse that both must be blameless before the lord but do they both go back with him? I think yes because where else would your spirit want to go?​

1 john 3:2-3, eph 5:25-27

If you are saved our spirit and soul go to God when you die.

That is correct. We are spirit beings created in the image of God. Also like God, we are triune beings; spirit, soul, and body. When we die, our spirit and soul live on (whether one goes to heaven or hell). Our body goes in the grave. At the resurrection, we will receive new, glorious bodies. I believe we will even look better than we do now.:) We'll be able to recognize one another as well. This is proven in Luke 16:22-25; the rich man in hell recognizes Lazarus in Abraham's bosom. We also see in this scripture, that we will be able to see, feel, and touch. Possibly smell and taste. For believers, those senses will experience pleasure in heaven; for sinners, torture, as we saw with the rich man, in hell. Our spirit man is the part that God communicates with. Satan has no access to the Born Again Believer's spirit. He only has access to our thoughts. That's why scripture commands us to be transformed by the renewing of our minds (Romans 12:2). That way, when Satan tries to bring ungodly thoughts to our mind, we can come back at him with the word of God and he has to cease. It's so important to know the Word. God bless all.

Sheba

Hebrews 4:12
For the word of God is living and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart.

Spirit or “holy spiritâ€........ that which we receive at the new birth is literally what God is.
I don’t know if anybody can explain what spirit is ….we can understand it to the extent that the Bible informs us, but to explain it would be to explain God, and again we are limited to the resource of the Bible.
We know that God is Spirit. We know that OT believers had spirit upon them conditionally, and we who are born again have it in us unconditionally, but there is nothing tangible about spirit….. it has no form.
We can see the attributes of God {who is Spirit} we can see the effects of spirit in our lives, but you cannot explain it. Spirit cannot be put in a test-tube and analyzed….. ascertained, yes, to an extent, but not analyzed ….however soul life can be, and I believe ….well maybe not believe, but think, that someplace within the soul, is the answer to many questions of being raised incorruptible.

The Bible states that I Corinthians 15:50Now this I say, brethren, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God; neither doth corruption inherit incorruption.Is it within the DNA of a person …..maybe ….maybe not, from an analytical point of view it’s plausible, but then again, it may be something that we as humans never understand.
What we do know is that when Christ returns for the Church of the body, we will either be raised or caught up together with new spiritual bodies that will not have the soul life that we utilized here upon earth. Because soul life is in the blood: and flesh and blood cannot inherent the kingdom of God. I know this doesn’t agree with several of the previous posts, but I believe Soul life is accurately defined in the Bible as such.

The following link will take you to the biblical definition of soul life

http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?p=21293#post21293

Azheis wrote:
Because soul life is in the blood: and flesh and blood

Azheis, first let me say greetings from a fellow Michigander, (temporarily living in the Tulsa area in the state of Oklahoma). :)

I have to disagree that the soul is in the blood and flesh. Our soul is made up of the mind, will, and emotions. Our soul lives on (as does our spirit) when our bodies give out and die. The body is flesh and blood, and not part of the soul. We are tripart beings like our heavenly Father. Spirit, soul, and body (1 John 5:7-8). God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. Man is a spirit, who possess a soul (mind, will, and emotions), and who lives in a physical body (flesh & blood). Whether one goes to heaven or hell, his/her spirit and soul will live, though the physical body be dead. We will still be able to hear, see, taste, smell, and touch (Luke 16:22-31). God bless.:)

Sheba

Azheis wrote:

Azheis, first let me say greetings from a fellow Michigander, (temporarily living in the Tulsa area in the state of Oklahoma). :)

I have to disagree that the soul is in the blood and flesh. Our soul is made up of the mind, will, and emotions. Our soul lives on (as does our spirit) when our bodies give out and die. The body is flesh and blood, and not part of the soul. We are tripart beings like our heavenly Father. Spirit, soul, and body (1 John 5:7-8). God the Father, God the Son, God the Holy Spirit. Man is a spirit, who possess a soul (mind, will, and emotions), and who lives in a physical body (flesh & blood). Whether one goes to heaven or hell, his/her spirit and soul will live, though the physical body be dead. We will still be able to hear, see, taste, smell, and touch (Luke 16:22-31). God bless.:)

Sheba
Ok Sheba ….when someone asks you where your from in Michigan, do you hold up your hand and point to the place? I think people here would be lost without their hand.
Actually I was just out in Tulsa for a wedding ….I tried to stop it but I couldn’t ………………just kidding.

Alright back to the Word ……………
As you can see in Leviticus 17:11 it states “the life of the flesh is in the bloodâ€...

The word life in Leviticus 17:11 is the same word for soul {nepesh}
What happens when we die? The heart, which pumps the blood, which delivers the oxygen to the brain …… stops….. soul life ceases.
The life of the soul {flesh} is in the blood …….

Now I am not going to argue, your free to believe what you want, I am just stating what the Word declares
Although I totally agree we are body, soul and those of us born again have spirit. But the scriptures in I John are a bit misleading because there have been words added; it is commonly referred to as the Johanninecomma.

The words in red do not appear in any early MSS
I John 5:7&8: This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth.
7: For there are three that bear record in heaven, the Father, the Word, and the Holy Ghost: and these three are one.
8: And there are three that bear witness in earth, the spirit, and the water, and the blood: and these three agree in one.

As for the record in Luke, although you may disagree, it is a parable.

Abrahams bosomLuke 16:19-31
The first thing that should grab our attention is the way verse 19 starts out “There was a certain rich man†Now take a look at verse 1 of chapter 16. “There was a certain rich manâ€â€¦. Starting midway through chapter 14 and ending in chapter 16 verse 31 Jesus is teaching by way of parables.A parable is a comparison by sustained resemblance; it is an extended simile. The likeness or resemblance must be sought from the entire context. This parable is addressed to the Pharisees {verse 14} The Pharisees, who believed in rewards and punishment immediately after death. Jesus told this parable to the Pharisees in light of their Talmudic traditions and beliefs. It was they, not Jesus, who coined the phrase “Abraham’s Bosom†as one of several afterlife locations. Jesus uses the parable to condemn the Pharisees and catch them in their own erroneous belief.His intention was not to contradict the entire Old Testament by teaching survival after death. His primary intention was to show that the Pharisees were so evil that even if someone rose from the dead they still wouldn’t listen to him…… Just the opposite appears in Jesus teachings when we look at verses like John 11:14 Then said Jesus unto them plainly, Lazarus is dead .and Luke 14:14.And thou shalt be blessed; for they cannot recompense thee: for thou shalt be recompensed at the resurrection of the just. And Jesus could not have denied the abundance of scripture from the Old Testament like that of
Ecclesiastes 9:5,6, &10 For the living know that they shall die: but the dead know not any thing, neither have they any more a reward; for the memory of them is forgotten. 6: Also their love, and their hatred, and their envy, is now perished; neither have they any more a portion for ever in any thing that is done under the sun. 10: Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest How prophetic it was, as evidenced by his own resurrection from the dead, many of them did not believe
As an aside- Two ancient Greek manuscripts The Bezae Caulabrigiensis, and the Koridethian-Caesarean text include the words: eipen de kai heteran parabolen at the beginning of vers 19, which translate as “And He said also another parableâ€

Ok Sheba ….when someone asks you where your from in Michigan, do you hold up your hand and point to the place? I think people here would be lost without their hand.

:D That's funny! Think I'll try that next time someone ask me.;)

Okay, here's the thing about Leviticus 17:11. That scripture is talking strictly about animals. The life of the flesh is in the blood, that is in animals only. But Moses isn't speaking about the soul of man. Strong's Hebrew and Greek dictionaries define 'nephesh' as a "breathing creature that is animal". So we see the writer of Lev. 17 isn't talking about the soul of man.

As for Jesus speaking in parables concerning hell in Luke 16, that is a completely erroneous theory. But, I have class early in the morning and I'm unable to go into it right now. I shall however, return! :D God bless.

Sheba

Rev 6:9 And2532 when3753 he had opened455 the3588 fifth3991 seal,4973 I saw1492 under5270 the3588 altar2379 the3588 souls5590 of them that were slain4969 for1223 the3588 word3056 of God,2316 and2532 for1223 the3588 testimony3141 which3739 they held:2192Rev 6:10 And2532 they cried2896 with a loud3173 voice,5456 saying,3004 How long,2193, 4219 O Lord,1203 holy40 and2532 true,2228 dost thou not3756 judge2919 and2532 avenge1556 our2257 blood129 on575 them that dwell2730 on1909 the3588 earth?1093

:D That's funny! Think I'll try that next time someone ask me.;)

Okay, here's the thing about Leviticus 17:11. That scripture is talking strictly about animals. The life of the flesh is in the blood, that is in animals only. But Moses isn't speaking about the soul of man. Strong's Hebrew and Greek dictionaries define 'nephesh' as a "breathing creature that is animal". So we see the writer of Lev. 17 isn't talking about the soul of man.

As for Jesus speaking in parables concerning hell in Luke 16, that is a completely erroneous theory. But, I have class early in the morning and I'm unable to go into it right now. I shall however, return! :D God bless.

Sheba

Hi Sheba

When I first moved here….. I would laugh when people would put up the hand to show me where they lived then one day I caught myself almost doing it ….….it scared me ……..In Michigan, as long as we have the hand ….we don’t need GPS..

Your absolutely right Leviticus is speaking about animals When God created soul life it was created in animals first ….. and soul life was only created once. So whatever it is that sustains life in the blood, is the same for man and animals
http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?p =21293#post21293

but I think your taking the soul a bit too …. {trying to think of a word} ………..yes… still thinking. …..I think I am stuck on the hand thing …..Do you think the person who explored Michigan was the same genius who came up with the mile roads ….they were probably lines in his palm
ok…I’m back
Lets try “personal” …it’s not really what I am looking for …maybe you can help.
Soul is what gives us life …. breath life …...
I have used the term that “soul is what makes you ..you” which is true, but not in the sense that you acquired that from soul, because then we would have to say that the murder was pre-disposed to being a murder and therefore could never change; although I believe there is a significance to the bloodline, sin and genetic make up.
Regardless soul is what gives life……………I have seen the definition in Strong’s and I am not putting them or any other research aid down, I use them all the time. But my premise ….. actually I should say, my cornerstone in research is that the Bible interprets itself. Gods’ definition to words in the Word takes preeminence over what I think, and over anything man has written or defined.

Before you give me information on Luke 16 I should let you know………..that the hand is not a true representation of the state of Michigan ………sorry ….I need to let this hand thing go ….
What I was going to say is that I do not believe that hell is hell ….wow! was that profound or what….. …..nor do I believe the Word teaches immediate judgment upon death, to heaven, hell, or in this case Abrahams bosom.
http://www.christianforumsite.com/showthread.php?p=19745#post19745

I have a headache

Trying to follow the entire line of thought certainly stretched my meager brain cells. I will do my best from old seminary classes on this.

Soul - The part of us as human beings that is everlasting. Yes everlasting I said. All of mankind lives forever. Some will Live with the Lord and some will burn forever. To not believe in Hell ..... is profound and heretical. However, when one (unsaved sinner) dies they do not go to Hell directly. Hell is reserved for those brought before the Great White Throne Judgement who "HE" knows not. In simplistic terms at death if saved immediately the soul goes to Heaven. If unsaved you "sleep" (buried) until judgement is served, could be a second or thousands of years.

Our Spirit - The "personality" of the soul. Good verses Evil. All mankind has a Spirit.

The Holy Spirit - Fills our Heart, Soul, Body, and Mind after salvation. The Holy Spirit can speak to our hearts before salvation. But, we must open the door. Once we do our Soul, body, mind, heart and Spirit are changed forever.

Great discussion - Be a Berean

Steve

Does anyone perceive his spirit?
When I touch my leg, I know it's my leg.
When someone hurts my feelings, I perceive the hurt inside.
But my spirit I don't perceive like my leg or my feelings. This is not just my intellectual effort. If I could perceive my spirit, when I sinned, I would perceive the hurt of my spirit, and would stop sinning. When I get a cut on my finger, I know my body hurts and stop doing what caused the cut. The same principle.

I don't even know where my spirit is. It's got to be within my body, for when my body dies, my spirit must depart. But in the heart, or between my shoulder blades? I just don't perceive my spirit.

But there are exceptions, i.e., brief moments when I perceive my spirit. Mostly when my spirit grieves even for days. The grief is different from the sadness that I experienced many times even before I was found. Then I sense my spirit.

If anyone perceives his spirit as plainly as he perceives his feelings or body parts, please help me. Thanks.

Rupert

Your spirit is litterally your life force, your soul is your emotions,will,intellect.

Back