Whatever Happened to the Old Time Hymns?

Well..........I am retired now. But as a believer in the Old Time Gospel Hour, we as a church did exactly that.

We sang songs of worship from the gospel hymnal such as.....Amazing Grace, Victory in Jesus, Just Over The Hill Top.
We had a choir with a woman music minister who is still there today.

We were "advised" by the SBC North American Missionary Board that if we wanted to survive we would HAVE to change to the new Contemporary style of worship 30 years ago.

We did NOT do that. We stuck with what we thought was right, and in a group of 50 churches, we were the only one that was able to actually refuse money from the SBC during Covid pandemic and was actually able to loan money to 3 other churches.

Well..........I am retired now. But as a believer in the Old Time Gospel Hour, we as a church did exactly that.

We sang songs of worship from the gospel hymnal such as.....Amazing Grace, Victory in Jesus, Just Over The Hill Top.
We had a choir with a woman music minister who is still there today.

We were "advised" by the SBC North American Missionary Board that if we wanted to survive we would HAVE to change to the new Contemporary style of worship 30 years ago.

We did NOT do that. We stuck with what we thought was right, and in a group of 50 churches, we were the only one that was able to actually refuse money from the SBC during Covid pandemic and was actually able to loan money to 3 other churches.

That's great, Major. The "contemporary" music is a serious compromise of the Gospel far a number of reasons I won't go into there, but suffice it to say that replacement of solid continuity with scripture, and traipsing off into the emotionalism of modern, "contemporary" music, it simply makes no sense. The convention trying to get their member churches to compromise on the basis of culture and society, that alone is clear evidence of some serious problems within the ranks of the upper leadership.

This is a great less on from Our Lord and Savior:

Luke 16:27-31
27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 'for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
29 "Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
30 "And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 "But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "

Now, one might argue, "But that's talking about unbelievers." No. It is not. The brothers of his house had the prophets and the Law, and they still were not following the Lord as they should, and that man in torment KNEW they were not in the faith and seeking to obey as they should.

The easy, emotionalism of modern churchianity organizations is epidemic. People go there, get that huge, warm fuzzy, and go out with a false sense of satisfaction from it. Meanwhile, their minds are not filled with absolute truth, therefore their falling in lock step with doctrinal drift and theological progressivism by acceptance of the WOKE-ism of modern culture, and in many other manifestations that ultimately are compromises of the absolute, objective truths of God's word.

We don't need to easy-believe-ism in modern "praise" music that compromises with the world. Without Christ in that limelight, it is a "service" of inferiority and falsehoods.

MM

That's great, Major. The "contemporary" music is a serious compromise of the Gospel far a number of reasons I won't go into there, but suffice it to say that replacement of solid continuity with scripture, and traipsing off into the emotionalism of modern, "contemporary" music, it simply makes no sense. The convention trying to get their member churches to compromise on the basis of culture and society, that alone is clear evidence of some serious problems within the ranks of the upper leadership.

This is a great less on from Our Lord and Savior:

Luke 16:27-31
27 "Then he said, 'I beg you therefore, father, that you would send him to my father's house,
28 'for I have five brothers, that he may testify to them, lest they also come to this place of torment.'
29 "Abraham said to him, 'They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.'
30 "And he said, 'No, father Abraham; but if one goes to them from the dead, they will repent.'
31 "But he said to him, 'If they do not hear Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded though one rise from the dead.' "

Now, one might argue, "But that's talking about unbelievers." No. It is not. The brothers of his house had the prophets and the Law, and they still were not following the Lord as they should, and that man in torment KNEW they were not in the faith and seeking to obey as they should.

The easy, emotionalism of modern churchianity organizations is epidemic. People go there, get that huge, warm fuzzy, and go out with a false sense of satisfaction from it. Meanwhile, their minds are not filled with absolute truth, therefore their falling in lock step with doctrinal drift and theological progressivism by acceptance of the WOKE-ism of modern culture, and in many other manifestations that ultimately are compromises of the absolute, objective truths of God's word.

We don't need to easy-believe-ism in modern "praise" music that compromises with the world. Without Christ in that limelight, it is a "service" of inferiority and falsehoods.

MM
From "MY" point of view, and I know some will same that I am out of touch and old fashioned, AND I AM, but the truth of the matter is that most Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) really isn’t Christian at all — not even close!

How do I know that? By listening to the lyrics. More often than not CCM is unbiblical, even blasphemous! But many Christians don’t have the spiritual discernment to pick up on it. Sadly, some people who profess Christ really don’t care about the words that go from their lips to God’s ears but simply like the rhythm and beat of the music.

Why? Mainly because worship is all about me, not about God, so little or no attention is paid to the words we sing to Him.

From "MY" point of view, and I know some will same that I am out of touch and old fashioned, AND I AM, but the truth of the matter is that most Contemporary Christian Music (CCM) really isn’t Christian at all — not even close!

How do I know that? By listening to the lyrics. More often than not CCM is unbiblical, even blasphemous! But many Christians don’t have the spiritual discernment to pick up on it. Sadly, some people who profess Christ really don’t care about the words that go from their lips to God’s ears but simply like the rhythm and beat of the music.

Why? Mainly because worship is all about me, not about God, so little or no attention is paid to the words we sing to Him.

Actually, Major, I used to DJ at a local CCM station that also played some pretty hard 'rock' (worldly style), and that's when I learned how great a departure that industry and its artists have made from the word of God. I remember DCTalk when they came out with that song, "God's Doing a New Thang." As hip-hop as that sounds, it taught a false message, along with so many others songs and artists.

As you know, God doesn't do a "thang," He has declared from the beginning what He is going to do, and there is no reason to think the Lord has opened back up the Canon in order to introduce new scripture from sources that clearly are not inspired. Amy Grant running nude on the beach in South America isn't an authoritative source from which to derive that the Lord now doesn't look upon public nudity as sin.

MM

Actually, Major, I used to DJ at a local CCM station that also played some pretty hard 'rock' (worldly style), and that's when I learned how great a departure that industry and its artists have made from the word of God. I remember DCTalk when they came out with that song, "God's Doing a New Thang." As hip-hop as that sounds, it taught a false message, along with so many others songs and artists.

As you know, God doesn't do a "thang," He has declared from the beginning what He is going to do, and there is no reason to think the Lord has opened back up the Canon in order to introduce new scripture from sources that clearly are not inspired. Amy Grant running nude on the beach in South America isn't an authoritative source from which to derive that the Lord now doesn't look upon public nudity as sin.

MM

I only have MY thoughts on this but I believe that the CCM has highly influenced by Rock and Roll. It seems to me that when Christians in church hear the rhythm and beat of the CCM they are taken back in their minds to a time in their lives when they were teenagers and Rock and Roll was their king.

So now when they here that same rhythm, they are now comfortable in what they hear even if they can not understand or even hear the words.

More often than not CCM is unbiblical, even blasphemous!
no not all while i am not a ccm fan person. there are certain artist /groups/ songs very much Bible. the wife and i are very big southern Gospel music fans . there are songs on the ccm label that has a wonderful message a group casting crowns has many good songs . while i am against a Church doing away with the hymns .. many has the notion that is rock n roll... not all C C M is like that. i am not musically inclined but there are c.m songs a person can sing with guitar. that you would not even know.

here is the words to one of the old c cm goes back over 20 years
Lyrics

My Jesus, my Saviour
Lord there is none like You
All of my days I want to praise
The wonders of Your mighty love
My comfort, my shelter
Tower of refuge and strength
Let every breath, all that I am
Never cease to worship You
Shout to the Lord all the Earth, let us sing
Power and majesty, praise to the King
Mountains bow down and the seas will roar
At the sound of Your name
I sing for joy at the work of Your hands
Forever I'll love You, forever I'll stand
Nothing compares to the promise I have
In You
My Jesus, my Saviour
My comfort
My shelter
In You
Oh nothing compares to the promise I have

In You

( I believe that the CCM has highly influenced by Rock and Roll. } your thinking of so called Christian rock n roll

i am posting a song i would like you to listen to.. its the message that is important all i ask is you listen tell me if you understand the words

One of my favorite hymns (you probably won't hear it in today's Church)

Jesus, thy blood and righteousness (compare the lyrics below to the lyrics above).

1 Jesus, thy blood and righteousness
my beauty are, my glorious dress;
mid flaming worlds, in these arrayed,
with joy shall I lift up my head.

2 Bold shall I stand in that great day;
who can a word against me say?
Fully absolved through these I am
from sin and fear, from guilt and shame.

3 Lord, I believe your precious blood,
which at the very throne of God
pleads for the captives' liberty,
was also shed in love for me.

4 Lord, I believe, were sinners more
than sands upon the ocean shore,
you have for all a ransom paid,
for all a full atonement made.

5 When from the dust of death I rise
to claim my mansion in the skies,
this then shall be all my only plea:
Jesus has lived and died for me.

6 Jesus, be worshiped endlessly!
Your boundless mercy has for me,
for me and all your hands have made,
an everlasting ransom paid.

O let the dead now hear thy voice;
Now bid thy banished ones rejoice;
Their beauty this, their glorious dress,
Jesus, thy blood and righteousness.

Nicolaus L. von Zinzendorf (1700-1760)
Translated by John Wesley (1703-1791)

Last edited:
At the church I attend we sing from the hymn book called Great Hymns of Faith. No instruments just our voices.
Someone leads us and we generally find our way..the music notation is in the book. The preacher just calls out the number of the hymn and we sing it. I think it's a little bit directed by him because we don't just pull a number out of a jar and sing whatever comes up lol.

At the church I attend we sing from the hymn book called Great Hymns of Faith. No instruments just our voices.
Someone leads us and we generally find our way..the music notation is in the book. The preacher just calls out the number of the hymn and we sing it. I think it's a little bit directed by him because we don't just pull a number out of a jar and sing whatever comes up lol.

Do you attend a Church of Christ group?

no not all while i am not a ccm fan person. there are certain artist /groups/ songs very much Bible. the wife and i are very big southern Gospel music fans . there are songs on the ccm label that has a wonderful message a group casting crowns has many good songs . while i am against a Church doing away with the hymns .. many has the notion that is rock n roll... not all C C M is like that. i am not musically inclined but there are c.m songs a person can sing with guitar. that you would not even know.

Lyrics

My Jesus, my Saviour
My comfort, my shelter
In You
My Jesus, my Saviour
My comfort
My shelter
In You

In You

( I believe that the CCM has highly influenced by Rock and Roll. } your thinking of so called Christian rock n roll

i am posting a song i would like you to listen to.. its the message that is important all i ask is you listen tell me if you understand the words

I love that song.

Lyrics

My Jesus, my Saviour
My comfort, my shelter
In You
My Jesus, my Saviour
My comfort
My shelter
In You

In You

Thanks for your opinion. I do not agree and that is because the CCM is a "Doorway" to sensuality. And that is also my opinion.

Churches and people must be careful that something sensual is not mistaken for something spiritual. James warns in 3:15 ....
“This wisdom descenth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish”.

Contemporary Christian music (CCM)is indeed earthly sensual because its roots are in Rock and Roll.

FACT check.....https://truthwatchers.com/why-contemporary-christian-music-is-not-christian/---------

When asked by Christianity Today to list their musical influences Jars of Clay members “listed no Christian artists” (Christianity Today, Nov. 15, 1999). Jars of Clay performs Ozzy Osbourne’s “Crazy Train” during their concerts. Osbourne is the filthy-mouthed former lead singer for the occultic rock group Black Sabbath.

When Crystal Lewis was asked what was in her CD player, she responded by saying, “I have six: Michael Jackson, ‘Thriller’; Billie Holiday; Led Zeppelin; Radiohead, ‘OK Computer’; Radiohead, ‘Kid A’; and Sting,…’Nothing like the Sun’.” There is a definite problem with worldliness when someone openly admits to listening to Michael Jackson and Led Zeppelin. Someone’s music would definitely be affected in a negative way by listening to such wicked men.

FACT CHECK........
Jimi Hendrix used to always talk about some devil or something was in him, you know, and he didn’t have any control over it, he didn’t know what made him act the way he acted and what made him say the things he said, and songs… just came out of him….
He was so tormented and just torn apart… and he used to talk about us going down there and having some root lady or somebody see if she could drive this demon out of him.
Source: cited by Dave Hunt & T. A. McMahon, The New Spirituality, Harvest House Publishers, 1988, p. 240

On April 17, 2005, when Rick Warren announced his P.E.A.C.E. program to Saddleback Church, he sang Jimi Hendrix’s drug-drenched song “Purple Haze” to the congregation, accompanied by his “praise and worship” band! He said he had wanted to do that for a long time.
Source:
David Cloud, What is the Emerging Church, Way Of Life Literature, Fourth edition 2009, p. 400-401

Am I the only one who has a problem with this kind of nonsense and we call it Christian worship?????

Deut. 12:30..........
“Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise”.

Has God changed His Word for the church?

I am guilty of being a product of my personal history. I much prefer 'old time' hymns, and am skeptical of the prevailing slant of contemporary christian music.

I would expect that if we were to listen to 1st century hymns, even disregarding the language difference, it would seem very different from anything today in this society.

As far as today's music, it's not so much the beat, etc but it offers a skewed vision of Christs work in us.

Its vision is that we are great as we happen to be. It is in awe that the Lord accepts one such as each of us without asking anyone to show their love of God in return.

Yes, the lord seeks us out and accepts us just as we are, but His desire is for us to become just as we could be through Him.

I am very skeptical of the 'everyone else is evil' view of man, But I am even more skeptical of the view that our free gift of salvation should not result in a freely returned gift of Love and service.

To be fair, though there are many old time hymns that are poorly thought out when examined line by line and word for word.

You already have songs in the Bible. They are called Psalms. Not sure why it has got changed to hymns...but there you go.

Mary and Moses also have their own songs in the Bible.

There are several groups/denominations that sing without instruments, for example the Primative Baptist Church.

While I find much such singing wonderful, I do note that several Psalms include notes for the musicians, so I see little purpose in aking that an issue.

Am I the only one who has a problem with this kind of nonsense and we call it Christian worship?????

Deut. 12:30..........
“Take heed to thyself that thou be not snared by following them, after that they be destroyed from before thee; and that thou enquire not after their gods, saying, How did these nations serve their gods? even so will I do likewise”.

Has God changed His Word for the church?
im sorry i tried to show you not all artist are of the rock n roll decent.. you welcome to how you feel. honestly there are some God fearing God called artist ..did you listen to the video i posted? or is is just the fact being c c m . my father n law was same way. not going to try to convince you your wrong.. once again not all contemporary is rock n roll and of the devil .

i have listened to some pretty up beat southern gospel music. reminds me of young man i listened to preach on the warning sounds of the trumpet . he started off saying he loved orchestra music his favorite section was precision section.. he then stopped said but we have to keep those ungodly drums out of Church.. while a piano and a guitar was in the house.. i am not big on drums being played with church music.. but it can be done.

man will classify what is GODLY and what is not. with out using scripture dont tap your foot or raise your hands you will be Pentecostal lol

Thanks for your opinion. I do not agree and that is because the CCM is a "Doorway" to sensuality. And that is also my opinion.

Churches and people must be careful that something sensual is not mistaken for something spiritual. James warns in 3:15 ....
“This wisdom descenth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish”.

Contemporary Christian music (CCM)is indeed earthly sensual because its roots are in Rock and Roll.
i have no objection to your opinion your lumping any thing with the tittle c cm as rock n roll . casting crowns for example are all ministers . the leader is youth pastor . the music is not southern style its the message . in the song .

let me ask this say you had a g son went seen casting crowns , at the end gave a altar call got saved. would you consider him saved or tell him he was never saved?

this is all pure discussion. i have deep respect for castings crowns. the leader carries a Godly testimony Dyslexia, managed to graduate from collage battled cancer gave God the Glory

another artist Chris Tomblin has a song my chains are gone i been set free another popular song from years back i can only imagine its all about what it will be like in heaven .

my whole intent is because its not our style does not mean its of the devil .that's Archie bunker thinking.. whats the old saying never judge a book simply by its cover.

the real Christian rock n roll i do not agree with but plz dont judge all by what a few has done. you mention rick warren i am not a fan of his even though i do have one of his books .

Back