When in The Stillness

I was reading in 1 Corinthians 10 for my quiet time with the Lord on 9/26/11. The children of Israel had experienced all of God’s blessings and provisions, as well as his guidance, leadership, and protection in bringing them out of slavery, and yet God was not pleased with them because they did not obey him. They wanted the blessings of God absent of obedience. Their lives are examples for us to keep us from setting our hearts on evil, and from becoming followers of idols, instead of followers of God. May we set the right kind of example of God’s love.

When in The Stillness / An Original Work / September 26, 2011

When in the stillness
Of this moment,
Speak to me, Lord,
I humbly pray.
Be my desire,
Set me on fire,
Teach me to love always.
Help me to walk in
Fellowship with You,
Listening to You;
Sit at Your feet.
Whisper Your words to me,
Oh, how gently,
Guiding me in Your truth.

While we are waiting
For Your blessing,
Lord, in our hearts
Be King today.
Help us to live for
You ev’ry moment,
List’ning to what You say.
May we not stray from
Your word within us,
Help us obey You,
Lord, in all things,
Walking each moment,
Lord, in Your presence,
Our off’rings to You bring.

Help us to love You,
Lord, our master;
Be an example
Of Your love,
Helping the hurting,
Lift up the fallen,
Showing them Your great love.
Teach them to love You,
Follow You always,
Bearing their cross and
Turning from sin;
Walking in daily
Fellowship with You,
Making You Lord and King.

I was reading in 1 Corinthians 10 for my quiet time with the Lord on 9/26/11. The children of Israel had experienced all of God’s blessings and provisions, as well as his guidance, leadership, and protection in bringing them out of slavery, and yet God was not pleased with them because they did not obey him. They wanted the blessings of God absent of obedience. Their lives are examples for us to keep us from setting our hearts on evil, and from becoming followers of idols, instead of followers of God. May we set the right kind of example of God’s love.

When in the stillness
Of this moment,
Speak to me, Lord,
I humbly pray.
Be my desire,
Set me on fire,
Teach me to love always.
Help me to walk in
Fellowship with You,
Listening to You;
Sit at Your feet.
Oh, how gently,

While we are waiting
For Your blessing,
Lord, in our hearts
Be King today.
Help us to live for
You ev’ry moment,
May we not stray from
Your word within us,
Help us obey You,
Lord, in all things,
Walking each moment,
Lord, in Your presence,

Help us to love You,
Lord, our master;
Be an example
Of Your love,
Helping the hurting,
Lift up the fallen,
Teach them to love You,
Follow You always,
Bearing their cross and
Turning from sin;
Walking in daily
Fellowship with You,

Good words, I will think of them throughout the day :)

When in the stillness
Of this moment,
Speak to me, Lord,
I humbly pray.
Be my desire,
Set me on fire,
Teach me to love always.
Help me to walk in
Fellowship with You,
Listening to You;
Sit at Your feet.
Oh, how gently,

While we are waiting
For Your blessing,
Lord, in our hearts
Be King today.
Help us to live for
You ev’ry moment,
May we not stray from
Your word within us,
Help us obey You,
Lord, in all things,
Walking each moment,
Lord, in Your presence,

Help us to love You,
Lord, our master;
Be an example
Of Your love,
Helping the hurting,
Lift up the fallen,
Teach them to love You,
Follow You always,
Bearing their cross and
Turning from sin;
Walking in daily
Fellowship with You,

Hi Sue,
This is all so very true and yet there is more to this as well. As the children of Israel walked in disobedience in many forms of the way. One thing that kept getting them into trouble is what they spoke. Thier words were apposed to what God had said.

It is the same very way for us today. We have Gods word to speak over or in any situation.
When we speak from what we see or how we feel or what we think - well we speak against the very word of God and hinder our Faith and trust in God. Our words bring our down fall or carry us over and through - that is if our words are Gods words .

2 went into the promised land and millions did not
2 spoke what God said........they are well and able
millions spoke he has brought us out here to die. We want to go back to Egypt- we can not defeat those giants....

Turn this around unto ones own life and you will find why you are where you are at and why you are going through the things that you are.
God Bless
Jim

Hi Sue,
This is all so very true and yet there is more to this as well. As the children of Israel walked in disobedience in many forms of the way. One thing that kept getting them into trouble is what they spoke. Thier words were apposed to what God had said.

It is the same very way for us today. We have Gods word to speak over or in any situation.
When we speak from what we see or how we feel or what we think - well we speak against the very word of God and hinder our Faith and trust in God. Our words bring our down fall or carry us over and through - that is if our words are Gods words .

2 went into the promised land and millions did not
2 spoke what God said........they are well and able
millions spoke he has brought us out here to die. We want to go back to Egypt- we can not defeat those giants....

Turn this around unto ones own life and you will find why you are where you are at and why you are going through the things that you are.
God Bless
Jim

Jim, I am not following you exactly. I understand you are speaking of the 2 spies who believed God as opposed to those who did not, and that those who lacked faith were not able to enter into the promised land, but the 2 spies and their households were able to enter because they believed God and they confessed that faith with what they spoke, yes. Yet, I don't understand the application you were trying to make or exactly to whom you were trying to make it. How does this explain why someone is where they are or why they are going through the things they are? And, who is "you"? Someone who is not listening to God, and is not responding in faith?

Caleb and Joshua went in. They took God at His word. Those who had their life cut short or the children of Isrielhad their life cut short out of disobedience. Thier mouth and the words they spoke we a huge factor in this.

Caleb and Joshua kept saying they are well and able and get this....40 years later they were just as well and able as they were 40 years before.
Now then if they had began to doubt God in this through out the 40 years they would not have had the victorious battle that they did.

It is the same for any born again Believer...........what they are speaking today will dictate where they are dowen the road. Our words either work for us or against us.
Speak doubt and unbelief or words opposed to the written wortd of God and you will reap from those words.

Oh sam says all the time he and his family always get the flue and it is always the worse kind and almost kills us........Sam keeps saying this even though the written word of God has something different to say about it........Well dont go around sams house during flue season....for they will be very sick,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If a person keeps making choices and speaking those choices that are opposed to Gods word - well they will not be moving forwad in Gods plan for them. The circumstances a person is in today are a result of what they have been saying and doing.

Blessings
Jim

It appears that "obedience" is tied to "faith". Hebrews 11 is all about faith which brought obedience. No faith = no obedience. Faith "works" by "love". God alone is love, and he alone is the only person who can do the "works of faith" We have faith in him and in his Word and he performs what we are believing in him to do. The Lord said this to me one day, "It is possible to have works without faith, but it is impossible to have faith without works"

It appears that "obedience" is tied to "faith". Hebrews 11 is all about faith which brought obedience. No faith = no obedience. Faith "works" by "love". God alone is love, and he alone is the only person who can do the "works of faith" We have faith in him and in his Word and he performs what we are believing in him to do. The Lord said this to me one day, "It is possible to have works without faith, but it is impossible to have faith without works"
Yes but we have works when it comes to faith. Our every action and reaction is as a works.
They will either work for against our faith.

"It is possible to have works without faith, but it is impossible to have faith without works"
Absolutely! What we do in obedience to our Lord, in the power and working of the Spirit of God within us, by faith, is the outgrowth of our faith, but it also is the evidence that true faith exists. If Noah did not build the ark, where would his faith be? If Abraham did not go with God even though he did not know where he was going, where would his faith be? If Moses did not lead the children of Israel out of slavery in Egypt, and if Joshua did not follow God's orders, and if the people did not cross the Red Sea, etc., where would their faith be? By faith they obeyed God, and their obedience revealed that their faith was genuine. If we believe God has set us free from slavery to sin, and that he put sin to death, and that he died that we might die to sin and live to righteousness, if we choose, instead, to persist in conducting our lives in the flesh and walking in the darkness, but claim to have fellowship with God, the Word says we are liars, and the truth is not in us. Faith without works is dead, says James.

Caleb and Joshua went in. They took God at His word. Those who had their life cut short or the children of Isrielhad their life cut short out of disobedience. Thier mouth and the words they spoke we a huge factor in this.

Caleb and Joshua kept saying they are well and able and get this....40 years later they were just as well and able as they were 40 years before.
Now then if they had began to doubt God in this through out the 40 years they would not have had the victorious battle that they did.

It is the same for any born again Believer...........what they are speaking today will dictate where they are dowen the road. Our words either work for us or against us.
Speak doubt and unbelief or words opposed to the written wortd of God and you will reap from those words.

Oh sam says all the time he and his family always get the flue and it is always the worse kind and almost kills us........Sam keeps saying this even though the written word of God has something different to say about it........Well dont go around sams house during flue season....for they will be very sick,,,,,,,,,,,,,

If a person keeps making choices and speaking those choices that are opposed to Gods word - well they will not be moving forwad in Gods plan for them. The circumstances a person is in today are a result of what they have been saying and doing.

Blessings
Jim
Jim, I am trying to understand you here. Are you talking about "health, wealth and prosperity" teaching?

Jim, I am not following you exactly. I understand you are speaking of the 2 spies who believed God as opposed to those who did not, and that those who lacked faith were not able to enter into the promised land, but the 2 spies and their households were able to enter because they believed God and they confessed that faith with what they spoke, yes. Yet, I don't understand the application you were trying to make or exactly to whom you were trying to make it. How does this explain why someone is where they are or why they are going through the things they are? And, who is "you"? Someone who is not listening to God, and is not responding in faith?

Think of it like this. Every word we speak is a seed.....so whatever comes out of our mouths is going to produce a result. In Matthew 12:35 it says a good person out of the good in their hearts brings forth good things and an evil person out of the evil in their heart brings forth evil things. Things can be translated as results. So if we constantly say (fill in the blank) then that is what we will have. If we speak the Word of God (which according to Mark 4 is a seed) then it produces the results that God says it does. Does this help?

James is a good place to start. It is all about our words.
God tells us our words are either life or death.
His entire word is full of His teaching us about our words.

here are but a few to ponder

The Bible teaches that words, especially ones you say, are important.

PROVERBS 18:20-21 NKJ
20 A man's stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth, and from the produce of his lips he shall be filled.
21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

ISAIAH 59:21 NKJ
21 "As for Me," says the Lord, "this is My covenant with them: My Spirit who is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your descendants, nor from the mouth of your descendants' descendants," says the Lord, "from this time and forevermore."

MARK 11:23 NKJ
23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says.

NUMBERS 14:28 NKJ
28 "Say to them, `As I live,' says the Lord, `just as you have spoken in My hearing, so I will do to you:

PROVERBS 6:2 NKJ
2 you are snared by the words of your own mouth; you are taken by the words of your mouth.

Words can get you in trouble. And words can deliver you (Revelation 12:11; Romans 10:10; Ephesians 6:17; see below). Words control your destiny.

MATTHEW 17:20 NKJ
20 So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, `Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

LUKE 17:6 NKJ
6 So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, `Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

HEBREWS 3:1; 4:14 NKJ
1 Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus,
14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.

HEBREWS 10:23 NKJ
23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

ROMANS 4:17 NKJ
17 (as it is written, "I have made you a father of many nations") in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;

EPHESIANS 5:1 NIV
1 Be imitators of God, therefore, as dearly loved children

MATTHEW 12:36-37 NKJ
36 "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

ROMANS 10:9-10 NKJ
9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation.

JOSHUA 1:8 NKJ
8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

1 PETER 3:10 NKJ
10 For "He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking guile;

MATTHEW 10:32 NKJ
32 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.

PHILIPPIANS 2:11 NKJ
11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

1 PETER 4:11 NIV
11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. . . .

EPHESIANS 4:29 NIV
29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

JAMES 4:11 NKJ
11 Do not speak evil of one another . . . .

TITUS 3:2 NKJ
2 to speak evil of no one . . . .

REVELATION 12:11 NKJ
11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.

EPHESIANS 6:17 NKJ
17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Here is but a little piece of what is written in His word.
Scripture tells us to be imitaters of God. This means Think like Him and Sperak Like Him and Act like Him.

People say words means nothing..They say God does not need your words to bless you or defend you etc. Well then scripture tells us ..........to hold fast, or hang on, to a confession of faith. Why weould we need to do this if words are not important.

Gods word tells us that our own words snare us. He tells us out of the abundance of our heart our mouth speaks. Heart is always in scripture talking about the core being or spirit man. He tells us to renew our Heart with His word. His words. His ways of doing things. Heart again is core being or spirit man.

So why command us to fill our spirit with His word or way of doing things which includes speaking if it was not important.

I will stop here for I have a thread to be posting all this in a better format.
God Bless
Jim

20 A man's stomach shall be satisfied from the fruit of his mouth, and from the produce of his lips he shall be filled.
21 Death and life are in the power of the tongue, and those who love it will eat its fruit.

21 "As for Me," says the Lord, "this is My covenant with them: My Spirit who is upon you, and My words which I have put in your mouth, shall not depart from your mouth, nor from the mouth of your descendants, nor from the mouth of your descendants' descendants," says the Lord, "from this time and forevermore."

23 "For assuredly, I say to you, whoever says to this mountain, `Be removed and be cast into the sea,' and does not doubt in his heart, but believes that those things he says will come to pass, he will have whatever he says.

28 "Say to them, `As I live,' says the Lord, `just as you have spoken in My hearing, so I will do to you:

2 you are snared by the words of your own mouth; you are taken by the words of your mouth.

Words can get you in trouble. And words can deliver you (Revelation 12:11; Romans 10:10; Ephesians 6:17; see below). Words control your destiny.

20 So Jesus said to them, "Because of your unbelief; for assuredly, I say to you, if you have faith as a mustard seed, you will say to this mountain, `Move from here to there,' and it will move; and nothing will be impossible for you.

6 So the Lord said, "If you have faith as a mustard seed, you can say to this mulberry tree, `Be pulled up by the roots and be planted in the sea,' and it would obey you.

1 Therefore, holy brethren, partakers of the heavenly calling, consider the Apostle and High Priest of our confession, Christ Jesus,
14 Seeing then that we have a great High Priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession.

23 Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful.

17 (as it is written, "I have made you a father of many nations") in the presence of Him whom he believed, even God, who gives life to the dead and calls those things which do not exist as though they did;

36 "But I say to you that for every idle word men may speak, they will give account of it in the day of judgment.
37 "For by your words you will be justified, and by your words you will be condemned."

9 that if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved.
10 For with the heart one believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation.

8 "This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth, but you shall meditate in it day and night, that you may observe to do according to all that is written in it. For then you will make your way prosperous, and then you will have good success.

10 For "He who would love life and see good days, let him refrain his tongue from evil, and his lips from speaking guile;

32 "Therefore whoever confesses Me before men, him I will also confess before My Father who is in heaven.

11 and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

11 If anyone speaks, he should do it as one speaking the very words of God. . . .

29 Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths, but only what is helpful for building others up according to their needs, that it may benefit those who listen.

11 "And they overcame him by the blood of the Lamb and by the word of their testimony, and they did not love their lives to the death.

17 And take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God;

Scripture tells us to be imitaters of God. This means Think like Him and Sperak Like Him and Act like Him.

People say words means nothing..They say God does not need your words to bless you or defend you etc. Well then scripture tells us ..........to hold fast, or hang on, to a confession of faith. Why weould we need to do this if words are not important.

Gods word tells us that our own words snare us. He tells us out of the abundance of our heart our mouth speaks. Heart is always in scripture talking about the core being or spirit man. He tells us to renew our Heart with His word. His words. His ways of doing things. Heart again is core being or spirit man.

So why command us to fill our spirit with His word or way of doing things which includes speaking if it was not important.

God Bless
Jim

I think something else to remember is that we are God's mouthpiece in the earth. If we don't speak He has nothing to say. Once Adam was created God gave the authority of speaking things to him, and that has never changed.

Think of it like this. Every word we speak is a seed.....so whatever comes out of our mouths is going to produce a result. In Matthew 12:35 it says a good person out of the good in their hearts brings forth good things and an evil person out of the evil in their heart brings forth evil things. Things can be translated as results. So if we constantly say (fill in the blank) then that is what we will have. If we speak the Word of God (which according to Mark 4 is a seed) then it produces the results that God says it does. Does this help?
Could you give some concrete examples of what you are talking about here, i.e. fill in the blanks? It would help me to understand what you are saying more clearly, for it is still kind of vague. Thanks.

God Bless
Jim
I agree words are important. I agree that the Bible has much to say on this subject. Our actions need to match our words and our words our actions, and we need to have Spirit-controlled tongues that honor and glorify God in what we say, as well as in what we do. I also believe God is the God of miracles, and that he wants us to believe him for miracles in our lives and in the lives of others, according to his word. I also believe in divine healing, and i am aware that many people just accept whatever a doctor tells them, and pop those hundreds of pills, without even thought to pray and ask God to heal them. I have been medicine free for over 5 years now, I believe. I pray through headaches, colds - everything.

I believe, as well, that many people accept sin in their lives because they don't believe God's word which says that Jesus already defeated Satan and that we don't have to live in sin any longer because Jesus set us free. I believe a lot of people live spiritually defeated lives because they fail to claim the promises of God for their lives, taken in proper context, and correctly interpreted. My concern in what you were saying is that it sounded a little bit like "health, wealth, and prosperity," and "name it and claim it," which has some elements of truth in what they teach, but so much of it is not biblical. We can certainly claim the promises of God which he has given specifically to the church walking in fellowship with him, and the ones he has spoken to us individually for our own lives, but I believe some people go beyond the word of God in this area, and that is where we need to exercise caution.

Could you give some concrete examples of what you are talking about here, i.e. fill in the blanks? It would help me to understand what you are saying more clearly, for it is still kind of vague. Thanks.

Say you are praying for a job, yet you keep saying I'll never find work....your words are working against your prayers.
Say you are praying for a loved one that is sick, and in need of divine healing....but every time you turn around you are saying how sick they are to everyone....your words are working against your prayers.

Our angels that are here to minister to us only can respond to God's Words. So if we speak against what His Word says they cannot help us. For example if God's Word says that we are healed by Jesus's stripes, and we speak about how sick we are then our angels cannot minister health unto us. If we believe that Ps 91 is God's promise of protection over us and we constantly are worried (which is meditating on the lies of the devil) that we are going to be hurt in some way, our angels cannot keep us protected because we have spoken against or opposite the Word of God.

Hope this helps
Blessings

Say you are praying for a job, yet you keep saying I'll never find work....your words are working against your prayers.
Say you are praying for a loved one that is sick, and in need of divine healing....but every time you turn around you are saying how sick they are to everyone....your words are working against your prayers.

Our angels that are here to minister to us only can respond to God's Words. So if we speak against what His Word says they cannot help us. For example if God's Word says that we are healed by Jesus's stripes, and we speak about how sick we are then our angels cannot minister health unto us. If we believe that Ps 91 is God's promise of protection over us and we constantly are worried (which is meditating on the lies of the devil) that we are going to be hurt in some way, our angels cannot keep us protected because we have spoken against or opposite the Word of God.

Hope this helps
Blessings

I agree that our words and our actions need to be consistent with what we say we believe, so I agree with your first scenario about the job, because in that case the person, although praying for a job, is convinced he will never find work, so he is not praying in faith, believing God is going to answer. James talks about that, about not praying in faith, and about being double-minded.

Your second scenario, though, at least the way you worded it, is not necessarily the same as your first example. For instance, the prophets of old prayed earnestly for the people of God to turn their hearts back to God and away from their idols. Paul prayed earnestly for the salvation of the Jews. Yet, in these cases, and more like them, there were plenty of words said and written about how spiritually sick the people of God in the OT were, and how sick spiritually the Jews were (and are) who refuse to accept Christ as Lord and as Savior of their lives. There was much said in the NT, too, about Christians going back to sinful ways. Stating how sick someone is may be for the purpose to get others to join with you in prayer for their healing, but it is not necessarily saying you don't believe they will be healed, which is more clear by your first scenario. Only if you make statements, such as in your first example, which are the opposite of what you say you believe is this an issue, such as if I were to present to you the spiritual condition of the church in America, and to ask you to pray for healing, and if I made statements which indicated I did not believe the church could be revived and that God could heal them, then my words would be acting in opposition to what I claimed to believe. There are a lot of Christians who don't believe God will revive his church, and that just breaks my heart.

As far as what you spoke here about angels, though, would you mind giving some scriptures in reference to your statements here? God does not promise us that we will not suffer, or that we will not be hurt, but he promises us, as followers of Christ, that we are destined to be hated, persecuted, abandoned, and to suffer for the sake of Christ and of his gospel. He spiritually protects us, but he does not promise us protection from physical harm, which is evidenced by the life of Christ himself, and the lives of his NT apostles, who all suffered tremendous physical and emotional persecution at the hands of their enemies. Yet, God was with them, and he gave them the strength and courage to endure such difficulties for the sake of his name, so that his name might be glorified through them.

Back