When Others Want More Than You Have To Give.

Indeed, that is why I prefer to give to organizations, through our church. They are better equipped to help those in need and helping them become more self-sufficient, whereas giving to the person on the street may very well be perpetuating their sin as bobinfaith illustrated.
We have similar issues with children being rented out to beggars as Major mentioned and it's illegal to give money to minors here.
Being unwilling to work and being unable to find work, is indiscernible from the outside, at least here, as there are discriminary processes at work here.
A while back, I went to Argentina to do some work. I was in Buenos Aires. I was a bit shocked at how prevalent the problem was there. It was actually the first time I saw children out asking for money. We do have a family of three (husband, wife, and a small female child) that are sometimes out asking for money, but I have not seen them out in a long time, and I always found it a bit cruel to have the little girl out in the heat. Here in Miami, I have not heard of any issues with people "renting" kids for that purpose.

I give at my church and United Way; however, that does not address the occasions when a person is on the street and approaches for that "extra change." In those cases, it's difficult to figure it out. It's not even about the money, but about the volume of people. Like I said before, some you can tell are not emotionally well. With others, you just can't tell. We have a couple who wear these white outfits (pants and jackets) with a patch on one shoulder that I am never close enough to see what it says, but you can tell they are held in place by a pin. We also use to get people on the streets asking for donations in return for a copy of a newspaper called "The Homeless Voice." I have not seen them around in a couple of years.

In the inner city, you also have some street vendors that sell water and food. In Miami, depending on the goods being sold. you need a vendor's license which cost between $160 to $500 annually. There also use to be some who would wait at the street corners and watch your windows. Those I have not seen in a very long time. They were annoying, as they did this without asking first.

No matter how you approach this, it is difficult because these are human beings. I know that there are those that use this as a hustle, but some just can't help themselves.

No matter how you approach this, it is difficult because these are human beings. I know that there are those that use this as a hustle, but some just can't help themselves.

Indeed, it is a very difficult subject and it differs from country to country, state/province. The municipalities here has also been cracking down on by-law compliance whereby street vendors require a license. That is just as difficult a topic as on the one hand, the little they do make goes toward the license but on the other hand, there's considerations of public safety and order in so far as where these vendors are allowed to operate.

Indeed, it is a very difficult subject and it differs from country to country, state/province. The municipalities here has also been cracking down on by-law compliance whereby street vendors require a license. That is just as difficult a topic as on the one hand, the little they do make goes toward the license but on the other hand, there's considerations of public safety and order in so far as where these vendors are allowed to operate.
The whole licensing thing makes me crazy. Where I live it, if you want to replace a ceiling fan, you need a permit. A permit!

Indeed, that is why I prefer to give to organizations, through our church. They are better equipped to help those in need and helping them become more self-sufficient, whereas giving to the person on the street may very well be perpetuating their sin as bobinfaith illustrated.
We have similar issues with children being rented out to beggars as Major mentioned and it's illegal to give money to minors here.
Being unwilling to work and being unable to find work, is indiscernible from the outside, at least here, as there are discriminary processes at work here.
Agreed. As a Southern Baptist, one of the things that we have is called the Cooperative Program. Each church gives to it and they are the ones who INVESTIGATE and determine who is qualified for help.

This is pretty much what we do. In addition to the admonition to not judge a book by its cover, we could add, “…there but for the Grace of God go I.” Perhaps it’s better to give to 2 who may not deserve it, than to miss the one that God sends your way. Compassion in action is not a weakness, or a failure of discernment, it is our Lord Jesus Christ in action.

In terms of action or inaction, and/or what we are able to give or not give, is a different matter. What I'm mostly concerned with, is what we think and feel in our hearts about another person. We can't judge a person in our hearts and decree them lazy, without knowing their situation. Nor can we decide that the person in question has not tried to obtain gainful employment from the take-away that they are sitting in front of, off of our own. I could never assume physical ability/inability of another person, as I know how easy it is to be mistaken. I also know how it feels to be judged 'lazy' by others when they were unaware of my underlying condition. In the case of the lady with the child and the alcohol, indeed, that changes the situation and I would feel compelled to act.

Hello brothers and sisters;

If we look at this topic a bit closer, I agree with what Tery shared regarding action / inaction and what we give or don't give are different matters. The only way they can all arrive at the core of one matter is by the prompting of the Holy Spirit. But it takes practice (application) as a disciple. We can't rely on theoretical thoughts and our keyboard, but by how much we physically rub shoulders and make contact with people, daily.

By reading everyone's posts and experiences with people of all flavors and circumstances is difficult, however, Jesus loved everybody - Legion (who was filled with the multitude of demons,) the Pharisees, Pontius Pilate, Judas, Thomas, etc...despite how difficult it was at that time and moment. There is no cookie cutter method on how we address each situation with people.

Our experience with the lady and toy doll happened back in 1989. Back then we were not seasoned disciples in this teaching nor did we take the time to analyse (discern) the intentions of our heart. But our love and compassion for the lady and her baby, not her outlook, led us to give. What happened after that is not on us but God watching the heart and motive from both sides.

I'm not there yet, but we continue to give thanks to God for leading us on what to say and do at that time and moment a person crosses our path.

God bless you all. Your sharing blesses me.

My concern is always that I wrongfully judge someone as trying to take advantage and do nothing. There are times when I see someone that is both young and looks emotionally healthy, those are the ones that I have an issue with, but you really can't tell.
And that is the weakness of doing anything. Those who beg for money know what you know. They understand that the worse they look, the softer will be your heart. That is why some have little children standing by them.

You give them money and they go to the nearest store and buy beer and cigarettes!

Try this.........next time you see someone begging for money, look around and see where the closest store is. Then go in and check out how much MadDog 20-20 they have on the shelf!

Fact: TWO years ago, Ashville NC defunded the police. As a result, panhandlers have risen by 28% and local crime by 23%.
There is NO police available to remove the panhandlers and as a result crime has soared. Now who in the world would have thought such a thing possible?

Hello brothers and sisters;

If we look at this topic a bit closer, I agree with what Tery shared regarding action / inaction and what we give or don't give are different matters. The only way they can all arrive at the core of one matter is by the prompting of the Holy Spirit. But it takes practice (application) as a disciple. We can't rely on theoretical thoughts and our keyboard, but by how much we physically rub shoulders and make contact with people, daily.

By reading everyone's posts and experiences with people of all flavors and circumstances is difficult, however, Jesus loved everybody - Legion (who was filled with the multitude of demons,) the Pharisees, Pontius Pilate, Judas, Thomas, etc...despite how difficult it was at that time and moment. There is no cookie cutter method on how we address each situation with people.

Our experience with the lady and toy doll happened back in 1989. Back then we were not seasoned disciples in this teaching nor did we take the time to analyse (discern) the intentions of our heart. But our love and compassion for the lady and her baby, not her outlook, led us to give. What happened after that is not on us but God watching the heart and motive from both sides.

I'm not there yet, but we continue to give thanks to God for leading us on what to say and do at that time and moment a person crosses our path.

God bless you all. Your sharing blesses me.
I certainly do not want to be the bug in the potato sack, but rather a voice of reality.

Having down a "Homeless Mission Shelter" as a Church out reach, and keeping meticulous records we came to some very startling facts.

When we interviewed those of whom we helped we found out that 80% were single men. That is 8 out of 10 for those not living in Alabama :).

Of those 8, by and large, a great number were diagnosed as mentally unstable and had been diagnosed as such in the past.
De-institutionalization or closure of mental hospitals in the 80's was initially believed to be a prime cause of homelessness as those people then had NO place to go or live. So they were in effect turned out to live on the streets.

Then we saw that of that group of people, almost 50% were habitually addicted to either drugs or alcohol. That may bebecause there place in life placed them in contact with those who would be users and abusers.

We did not see violence as their problem.

Now, we did have several mothers with children but their homeless position was not by choice but due to being abandoned by the husband. In all those cases, the homeless lasted only a few days or a most a couple of weeks and the women found friends and or family!

I will also say that it is a fact that those men who we helped, wanted food and shelter without doing any work. We had a home right beside the Church and it was 4 bedroom and 2 bath. All we asked the men there to do was odd jobs around the home and church such as mowing the grass or painting a room or trimming bushes. It only took a couple of days and POOF, they were gone.

Now, the ladies with children is another story! Those women always did great. They cleaned, and did whatever was asked and had their children pitch in as well. When I retired, two of those families ladies were still attending the church and one we now pay to clean the church!

And that is the weakness of doing anything. Those who beg for money know what you know. They understand that the worse they look, the softer will be your heart. That is why some have little children standing by them.

You give them money and they go to the nearest store and buy beer and cigarettes!

Try this.........next time you see someone begging for money, look around and see where the closest store is. Then go in and check out how much MadDog 20-20 they have on the shelf!
That's a lot of work for $1.00.

When you do it 50 times a day times 7 days a week........$350 a week ! Thats a lot of MD 2020.
I actually got to talk to one of my panhandler's this afternoon. He claims his son and him were injured. His son died and he had major back surgery. He showed me the scar, which covers almost his entire spine region. He spoke about his son one prior time, but that was (I believe) pre-COVID.

I actually spoke with him, because I only had a quarter on me (wife's car) and wanted to apologize. He replied that it was find as anything helps.

50 times a day, 7 days a week? I don't spend my day driving around looking for them, so at most it would be 2 times a day, 7 days a week; $14,00. I stopped at Publix on the way home and got me 5 Nashville chicken strips for dinner and a can of wet dog food for Georgia. That was more than $14,00 and that's for 1 day, 1 time.

The really odd thing is that this guy, under different circumstances, might actually be someone I would not have an issue being friends with.

The people asking for money need you to be their personal shopper.
Ask them what they want to buy with the money and go with them to buy it.

I actually got to talk to one of my panhandler's this afternoon. He claims his son and him were injured. His son died and he had major back surgery. He showed me the scar, which covers almost his entire spine region. He spoke about his son one prior time, but that was (I believe) pre-COVID.

I actually spoke with him, because I only had a quarter on me (wife's car) and wanted to apologize. He replied that it was find as anything helps.

50 times a day, 7 days a week? I don't spend my day driving around looking for them, so at most it would be 2 times a day, 7 days a week; $14,00. I stopped at Publix on the way home and got me 5 Nashville chicken strips for dinner and a can of wet dog food for Georgia. That was more than $14,00 and that's for 1 day, 1 time.

The really odd thing is that this guy, under different circumstances, might actually be someone I would not have an issue being friends with.
FIFTY (Minimum) opportunities (Approaching people) in a day. It is a LOT more than that but I was being nice.

Now, I am not trying to be antagonistic, but rational!

What hospital do you know of that would preform a major surgery without any medical insurance????

Being injured, my 1st thought is who was responsible, car Insurance?

Do you really think that he was being truthful to you. Could that scare have been from a knife fight?

Psalms 116:11.......
"I said in my haste, All men are liars."

FIFTY (Minimum) opportunities (Approaching people) in a day. It is a LOT more than that but I was being nice.

My uncle was a heroin addict and lived on the streets of Santa Ana, Ca for twenty years. He once told me that he "earned" at least $100/day panhandling each and every day of those twenty years (this was eighties and nineties) since that was approximately what his habit cost. Assuming he greatly exaggerated his claim, he probably still took home $20K annually back in a time and place where a one bedroom apt. still cost about $500 dollars.

He had his priorities in order: drugs came first; and he worked quite hard to meet his goals. Fact is, he did not want off the street. Sure, he would accept shelter if offered but he would not work for it, since shelter was not his priority.

I've become increasingly wary of charity organizations since more and more of them are a career stronghold for nepotism and other various -isms, with large percentages of their intake consumed by the internal organizational structure with plush offices. That's not an indictment against all, but many have changed course into that vein.

I could say much, much more on this topic, but will not belabor the point.

MM

Back