When we talk to God in Prayer does he answer?

If we are God's children or sheep we hear the voice of the Shepherd. Does God here our cries when we are in trouble? What about other times? Put another way, if we went to our physical father we he hear and answer? Or if the sheep need anything does the Shepherd ignore them? God is far better than either of these.

If prayers seemingly go unanswered, why might that be?

God sometimes says no, more often God says wait for it. Under what circumstances does God say no?

Food for Thought:

Matthew 7:7-12 (Luke 11:9-13)
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 21:24
24 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Ephesians 3:20
James 1:5-7
James 4:1-3

why dosent God sometimes answer prayers?
I don’t know for sure...

But one thing that strikes me is in the scripture:

Philippians 2:13​

King James Version​

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

So maybe He sees over our limitations in our spirit and because he knows what ultimately will be good for us.
Now I know sometimes this sounds harsh, I mean who wants their love ones to die? When someone we love is killed or abused... the above scripture sounds like God is an evil deity bent on seeing us suffer. But what if Something good comes out of it and we get to realise “the good” after “the bad”
Ie, someone may meet the love of their after being abused in the past.
Someone may come into a windfall to pay off their ideal house after being run over by a truck and get a large settlement...

like I say I’m just guessing, but the tree of knowledge of good and evil reminds me not to judge something too quickly as there could be a lot of good at the end of a bad situation. And sometimes He has us waiting because He knows we won’t be ready to fully appreciate what we ask for.( hence the fish and the stone scripture)
?
Hope someone chimes in with their views🙏

Last edited:
Hello CPerkins;

When I read the Bible and would wonder how God's servants could tell when He was answering their prayers - Adam, Eve, Noah, Moses, David, Jonah, John, Paul, etc...and Jesus His Only Begotten Son.

When I was a young man I used to be a nominal Christian. As long as I went to church consistently each Sunday I was good with God. Those were the days I "humbly" asked God if my future wife could be moderately attractive, smart but not as smart as me, a good housekeeper, stay at home housewife, and reside in the same city as me. In return I promised I would take care of her.

in 1984 I went overseas to attend my Grandfather's funeral with my parents. After the funeral I was too bummed to go anywhere so I would stay home with our relatives and parents and mourn my Grandfather. Two days before leaving to come home to the United States, my buddy invited me to join our small circle of friends for a night out to get my mind off things. One of the group was their childhood lady friend. We talked amongst the group and at the end of the evening I told her I was leaving to go home overseas so we exchanged addresses.

A month later she replied to my letter and we became "pen pals." Back then we didn't have the internet until 14 years later so slow mail was the way to go and much cheaper than an International phone call.

Back in the States I continued to date a little bit but was still asking God to make obvious about my future wife. My pastor at church encouraged me to get more involved than just Sunday worship by reading the Bible and pray more consistently.

It was in our Bible study in the Book of 1 Kings 19 that Elijah had a physical, mental and spiritual breakdown from his efforts and fled from Jezebel. It was then that God got Elijah's attention, through a gentle whisper. I kept waiting for God that He would speak to me through loud trumpets, which He can. But it was through His whisper that I heard His answer through my feelings, thoughts, a sense of direction and peace.

Through my feelings, thoughts, direction and peace did God answer me but with His best results. My future wife is extremely attractive more than I had asked, she is smarter than me, does not do housework, wanted her own career and resided across the miles, definitely not in the same city as me.

In June 2021 we will celebrate our 36 wedding anniversary. Praise His Wonderful Name!

When we focus on our commune with Him through His Word (He speaks to us) and our prayers (we speak to Him) God will answer us in so many different ways. So how do we know which way? God will make it obvious.

Thank you for allowing me to share my testimony when God answers our prayers.

God bless everyone and Merry Christmas.

why dosent God sometimes answer prayers?
I don’t know for sure...

But one thing that strikes me is in the scripture:

Philippians 2:13​

King James Version​

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

So maybe He sees over our limitations in our spirit and because he knows what ultimately will be good for us.
Now I know sometimes this sounds harsh, I mean who wants their love ones to die? When someone we love is killed or abused... the above scripture sounds like God is an evil deity bent on seeing us suffer. But what if Something good comes out of it and we get to realise “the good” after “the bad”
Ie, someone may meet the love of their after being abused in the past.
Someone may come into a windfall to pay off their ideal house after being run over by a truck and get a large settlement...

like I say I’m just guessing, but the tree of knowledge of good and evil reminds me not to judge something too quickly as there could be a lot of good at the end of a bad situation. And sometimes He has us waiting because He knows we won’t be ready to fully appreciate what we ask for.( hence the fish and the stone scripture)
?
Hope someone chimes in with their views🙏

We can come to know God's will as this scripture and others reveal. That understanding comes from God.

Many times I believe we lack the patience to wait on God. God tells us we have need of patience (Heb 10:36). Verse 35 tells us to not cast away our confidence which has great recompense of reward.

When we focus on our commune with Him through His Word (He speaks to us) and our prayers (we speak to Him) God will answer us in so many different ways. So how do we know which way? God will make it obvious.

Thank you for allowing me to share my testimony when God answers our prayers.

God bless everyone and Merry Christmas.

Thanks for sharing your testimony. I agree when I was a young Christian, I rarely knew if God answered my prayers. These past ten plus years though I have seen many answered prayers. Sometimes God answered quickly, but more times than not I've had to wait.

I've gone through some serious trials in my life. In the midst of one such trial God taught me so much about faith as I worked through a trial. God made his will clear to me early on during the trial, but it was 4 1/2 years before he miraculously brought the trial to an end. A number of people were surprised at the time, but I wasn't. When we know God's will in a matter, trust God, and let God work it in his own time great things can happen.

I know God hears and answers prayers. It is a wonderful knowledge to have.

Last year I was surprised by a subpoena that came in the mail. Turns out there was a hit and run incident that had occurred in a suburb about 10 miles from me. Reading it I discovered a car was involved that I didn’t own, owned by a man I had never heard of, occurred during a time that was impossible for me and in an area of town that I rarely have visited.

It was necessary to appear in court and get an attorney. In speaking with my attorney, it turned out there was a couple of pieces of paper in the car that seemed to indicate that I was in the car. After convincing my attorney that it was impossible to be me, he petitioned the court to have the prosecution further investigate the facts.

It turns out the car had been impounded. The owner grabbed these few pieces of evidence. The police had not searched the car at all. Not checked video cameras at a liquor store which supposedly had my birthdate on it and the time of the purchase.

After several months, the case was dropped by the prosecution.

I had prayed during the whole ordeal and put my trust in God. God allows such tests or trials.

Psalm 34:17 Is a wonderful promise. God allows trials and troubles of all sorts, but he also promises us to deliver us from them all. He doesn’t say how or when though.

I had prayed during the whole ordeal and put my trust in God. God allows such tests or trials.

Psalm 34:17 Is a wonderful promise. God allows trials and troubles of all sorts, but he also promises us to deliver us from them all. He doesn’t say how or when though.

Hey brother,

Thank you for the Scripture Psalm 34:17, for two reasons. 1) Many times when we pray we hope God will just "flow" us through the process and avoid the trials and troubles, 2) therefore, it's important we pray through the whole ordeal.

I can imagine what you and your wife went through with the subpoena and court. It would seem you folks remained calm until the Lord revealed the Truth. Praise Him!

God bless you and Merry Christmas.

Hey brother,

Thank you for the Scripture Psalm 34:17, for two reasons. 1) Many times when we pray we hope God will just "flow" us through the process and avoid the trials and troubles, 2) therefore, it's important we pray through the whole ordeal.

I can imagine what you and your wife went through with the subpoena and court. It would seem you folks remained calm until the Lord revealed the Truth. Praise Him!

God bless you and Merry Christmas.

God had prepared us beforehand so this was a small trial for us, though it was a surprise we didn't doubt that God would work it all out for the good. It is a great reminder of what God does for each of us his children.

I'll chime in and say sometimes God says 'no' when we ask amiss - for purely selfish reasons.

For example, a child might ask their parent if they can have ten candy bars, of course a loving parent is going to say 'no'! Even if they have the money to buy them.
Unless the child is sharing those candy bars with others, that is far too much for one child to consume.

I'll chime in and say sometimes God says 'no' when we ask amiss - for purely selfish reasons.

For example, a child might ask their parent if they can have ten candy bars, of course a loving parent is going to say 'no'! Even if they have the money to buy them.
Unless the child is sharing those candy bars with others, that is far too much for one child to consume.

Hey Lanolin;

Amen! And so true of God! He led my parents to say NO to everything my BIG EYES would see and want, which I believe turned out best for me.

God bless you, sister, your family and Merry Christmas.

Absolutely, if we ask with the wrong spirit, we ask amiss. This spirit of strife, fighting, hatred, greed , lust of all kinds. Asking just to add to our pleasure, pride or other gain is asking amiss. We must be careful not to be in this wrong spirit. (James 4)

Children don't always ask for those things and God is the greatest parent that will ever be. He leads us gently from conception to wherever we are today and into the future. We can trust that God is filling our hearts with his faith and love whereby we don't simply ask amiss. If we are not growing something is wrong and quiet likely trials are ahead that will bring about the changes we desperately need.

God is patient and requires that we learn patience. Often God is just telling us to wait. In my life only occasionally has God answered quickly. He also answers in surprising ways at time.

A key element though is trust. If we doubt we should not expect God to answer. Without faith it is impossible to please God (Hebrews 11:6).

Children don't always ask for those things and God is the greatest parent that will ever be. He leads us gently from conception to wherever we are today and into the future. We can trust that God is filling our hearts with his faith and love whereby we don't simply ask amiss. If we are not growing something is wrong and quiet likely trials are ahead that will bring about the changes we desperately need.

Amen, CPerkins;

Well said. What I just blue-lighted is an excellent reminder.

God bless you, brother, your family and Merry Christmas.

If we are God's children or sheep we hear the voice of the Shepherd. Does God here our cries when we are in trouble? What about other times? Put another way, if we went to our physical father we he hear and answer? Or if the sheep need anything does the Shepherd ignore them? God is far better than either of these.

If prayers seemingly go unanswered, why might that be?

God sometimes says no, more often God says wait for it. Under what circumstances does God say no?

Food for Thought:

Matthew 7:7-12 (Luke 11:9-13)
7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
9 Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone?
10 Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent?
11 If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask him?
12 Therefore all things whatsoever ye would that men should do to you, do ye even so to them: for this is the law and the prophets.

Matthew 21:24
24 And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.

Ephesians 3:20
James 1:5-7
James 4:1-3

God always answers our prayers in ONE of THREE ways..........

1, YES.
2, NO,
3. LATER.

God always answers our prayers in ONE of THREE ways..........

1, YES.
2, NO,
3. LATER.

In simple terms that is true. There are reasons why God says no. I believe it's important to know why when confronted by scoffers. We can trust God. We know he is a loving father and God makes numerous promises.

In simple terms that is true. There are reasons why God says no. I believe it's important to know why when confronted by scoffers. We can trust God. We know he is a loving father and God makes numerous promises.

Well, the truth is that I am a real simple minded old country boy!

Some other reason why God says NO to certain prayers......

1. We harbor unconfessed sin..........Psalms 66:18.+
2. We ask selfifhly..................................James 4:3.
3. Our request is not good for us....James 1:17.

Well, the truth is that I am a real simple minded old country boy!

Some other reason why God says NO to certain prayers......

1. We harbor unconfessed sin..........Psalms 66:18.+
2. We ask selfifhly..................................James 4:3.
3. Our request is not good for us....James 1:17.

I happen to be a transplanted country boy and not ashamed of the country. :)

Some times God says wait which can be confused with no. Understanding that God is saying wait rather than no is important. Sometimes it is necessary to reflect on God's will in a matter, our thoughts and intentions and to pray for guidance.

We know God hears our prayers. We know God is a loving Father. We know that God desires only that which is good.

I live and grew up in suburbia. I know the four boundaries of my rectangle section really well. I live in a cul de sac of about 130 other mostly single story homes that mostly are exactly the same. Each has 2 - 4 bedrooms, a driveway, a letterbox, a living room, a kitchen and a bathroom.

Trampolines, bbqs and gardens and pools and decks are extra.

Broadband was put in a few years ago so everyone has access to internet if they want it. Rubbish and recycling gets collected and we pay for water and power.

suburbia isn't too bad to live in, if you also work in it. I don't think I could ask God for anything more, knowing I probably couldn't handle a huge tract of land or living in a mansion. We do a community garden and church serves the community.

The thing about suburbia though its is kind of designed for cars and working commutes to the city centre, but I don't recommend living that way. You just get tired of driving or commuting into town all the time and fighting or sitting in traffic. But if you lived right in town, in an apartment you'd get used to the noise and pollution I suppose and you could just walk to places.

suburbia isn't too bad to live in, if you also work in it. I don't think I could ask God for anything more, knowing I probably couldn't handle a huge tract of land or living in a mansion. We do a community garden and church serves the community.

The thing about suburbia though its is kind of designed for cars and working commutes to the city centre, but I don't recommend living that way. You just get tired of driving or commuting into town all the time and fighting or sitting in traffic. But if you lived right in town, in an apartment you'd get used to the noise and pollution I suppose and you could just walk to places.

Getting to know other cultures is a great thing. It gets us outside of our narrow perspectives. Having a broader view we can have greater empathy and love. We also can put our troubles and trials in their proper perspective. I think of countries like Sudan and unfortunately many others and almost cry to think of what their daily life is like and yet at least some in these harsh situations have amazing attitudes and perspectives that might put many of us to shame.

God can do so very much in the crucible of fire as he refines our rough spots and purifies us. When I see these amazing attitudes it brings real joy along with the sympathy you feel in their plight.

Other thoughts when God says wait or be patient.

I often consider a parable on forgiveness and patience (Matthew 18:21-35)

Here a king is looking over the accounts of his servants. One was brought over that had a very great debt. The King listened to his cries for mercy and forgave his huge debt. Later this same servant went to a fellow servant that owed him a small amount. The one who had his debts forgiven would not forgive the debt of this servant which out him a little. He lacked patience to wait on God or his fellow servant. Instead he sent him to prison that his fellow servant could pay the last penny of that debt. The king was very angry with that servant who could not forgive and showed so little patience.

Romans 8:24-25 We are saved by hope, not in that which can be seen but in God and his handy work that cannot be seen patiently waiting on God. In prayer we must have faith, waiting on God with this hope in which we have confidence in God.

Hebrews 10:36-39 We have need of patience so that after we have done the will of God we may receive the reward. Some might limit this to the final reward of eternal life, but that is not what is being said.

Back