When we talk to God in Prayer does he answer?

Getting to know other cultures is a great thing. It gets us outside of our narrow perspectives. Having a broader view we can have greater empathy and love. We also can put our troubles and trials in their proper perspective. I think of countries like Sudan and unfortunately many others and almost cry to think of what their daily life is like and yet at least some in these harsh situations have amazing attitudes and perspectives that might put many of us to shame.

God can do so very much in the crucible of fire as he refines our rough spots and purifies us. When I see these amazing attitudes it brings real joy along with the sympathy you feel in their plight.

Hello CPerkins;

In our conversation I was blessed to live and go to school in other countries and coexist in their culture. Actually, as I think about it, I may have been the culture as a guest in their country.

One time while doing a short term missionary in Central America our group took a day of R&R and went to visit Guatemala. As we were at the border from Belize, a Guatemalan soldier was standing at the crossing. They just ended a civil war and He looked very intense with his rifle in hand. When we were allowed to cross I said hello to him and he seemed surprised. But then he replied with a hello and seemed to loosen up for a second and warmed up to our group as we all smiled at him while crossing the border.

I haven't been back and most likely will never see him again but am hopeful God used us at that moment to respectfully acknowledge the soldier with a greeting.

I happen to be a transplanted country boy and not ashamed of the country. :)

Some times God says wait which can be confused with no. Understanding that God is saying wait rather than no is important. Sometimes it is necessary to reflect on God's will in a matter, our thoughts and intentions and to pray for guidance.

We know God hears our prayers. We know God is a loving Father. We know that God desires only that which is good.

Amen brother. Country boys can survive!

A few months ago I found a great Bible study tool that I use a lot now. Some of you probably already use it, or have other tools you like better. Others may not have used it before.

There are a lot of references to "will" and many different Hebrew, Chaldean and Greek words translated will this Greek word often relates to God's purpose, desire or will

G2307 - thelēma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV) (blueletterbible.org)

There are 60 verses in the Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus) that use this word. For those that prefer the NIV there are 54 verses that use this word.

G2307 - thelēma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (NIV) (blueletterbible.org)

When I seek to understand a topic in particular. I like to search tools like this. The Englishman's Greek and Hebrew Concordances do this same task for those that prefer a book in hand.

A few months ago I found a great Bible study tool that I use a lot now. Some of you probably already use it, or have other tools you like better. Others may not have used it before.

There are a lot of references to "will" and many different Hebrew, Chaldean and Greek words translated will this Greek word often relates to God's purpose, desire or will

G2307 - thelēma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (KJV) (blueletterbible.org)

There are 60 verses in the Greek New Testament (Textus Receptus) that use this word. For those that prefer the NIV there are 54 verses that use this word.

G2307 - thelēma - Strong's Greek Lexicon (NIV) (blueletterbible.org)

When I seek to understand a topic in particular. I like to search tools like this. The Englishman's Greek and Hebrew Concordances do this same task for those that prefer a book in hand.

Hello CPerkins;

By chance, is blueletterbible.org free to subscribe? Man! You won't believe what I paid 3 years ago for Logos Bible Software! Yikes!

I've heard the Logos Software was expensive and I looked into other Bible software as well and just couldn't justify it at the time.

Blueletterbible.org is free there are ads. You can subscribe or not. The subscription is free as well.

MODERATOR'S CAUTION:

The link in this post goes to a website which sells goods or services or solicits donations. Members are advised to be wary of ANY such donation requests or sales and to research the group or individual making the request or sales and to PRAY before sending ANY donation or before purchasing any goods or service

I've heard the Logos Software was expensive and I looked into other Bible software as well and just couldn't justify it at the time.

Blueletterbible.org is free there are ads. You can subscribe or not. The subscription is free as well.

MODERATOR'S CAUTION:
The link in this post goes to a website which sells goods or services or solicits donations. Members are advised to be wary of ANY such donation requests or sales and to research the group or individual making the request or sales and to PRAY before sending ANY donation or before purchasing any goods or service

Dear staff;

I overlooked forum rule 7.1 and initiated the two softwares and will take responsibility. I apologize and recommend leaving the MODERATOR'S CAUTION displayed here.

Sincerely,
Bob

I haven't really had to use a concordance, I think I'm ok with reading the KJV bible.
If people use other versions that I'm not familiar with and I don't think it makes sense I just look up the same passage in the KJV and most of the time it usually becomes clear.

There are a few odd passages that had me scratching my head though, the one about women power on her head because of the angels I've never really got. 1 Corinthians 11:10

If someone could explain this to me - power? Hair is powerful perhaps? After all Samson had long hair and he was strong. Why is it because of the angels?

My favorite site for Bible reading and research is biblegateway.com I believe that all the Bible texts and references are free but I'm not sure. (I have been a subscriber for years)

I've used it as well and Biblehub. They are both free to use and subscribe to as well. There are good and bad points to each of these three. The all have ads though I don't believe any of these sites actually sells any product or service. I've never been asked for donations at any of these sites either.

Anything that might help in our conversation with God is a plus. That conversation though is deeply personal when done with sincerity and truth.

I haven't really had to use a concordance, I think I'm ok with reading the KJV bible.
If people use other versions that I'm not familiar with and I don't think it makes sense I just look up the same passage in the KJV and most of the time it usually becomes clear.
There are a few odd passages that had me scratching my head though, the one about women power on her head because of the angels I've never really got. 1 Corinthians 11:10. If someone could explain this to me - power? Hair is powerful perhaps? After all Samson had long hair and he was strong. Why is it because of the angels?

Hey Lanolin;

Many of the Corinthians had amoral problems with the way they worshiped in a church setting. They recognized the privileges of Christian liberty but the Corinthians didn't understand their outward dress or hairstyle practices that could send the wrong signals to the outside world.

Paul used Biblical, Greek and Jewish customs (veils or long hair, reference the KJV and other translations) of honor to God's church and the way we worship Him in a church setting. Therefore, the women's use of head coverings during worship signified their respective role of their husband as being the husband, head priest and father of her children.

The part of the angels was their presence of God in the place of worship including their presence and observance of men and women of God.

God bless you and your family. Happy New Year.

Dear staff;

I overlooked forum rule 7.1 and initiated the two softwares and will take responsibility. I apologize and recommend leaving the MODERATOR'S CAUTION displayed here.

Sincerely,
Bob

I am sorry Bob but we are going to have to give you 1 (ONE) point for your overlooking rule 7.1.:):)

Hey Lanolin;

Many of the Corinthians had amoral problems with the way they worshiped in a church setting. They recognized the privileges of Christian liberty but the Corinthians didn't understand their outward dress or hairstyle practices that could send the wrong signals to the outside world.

Paul used Biblical, Greek and Jewish customs (veils or long hair, reference the KJV and other translations) of honor to God's church and the way we worship Him in a church setting. Therefore, the women's use of head coverings during worship signified their respective role of their husband as being the husband, head priest and father of her children.

The part of the angels was their presence of God in the place of worship including their presence and observance of men and women of God.

God bless you and your family. Happy New Year.
I have never seen anyone wear a veil in church service apart from at a wedding.
Would be kind of interesting if every married woman wore their veil to church....? Maybe they did in Corinth?

I have never seen anyone wear a veil in church service apart from at a wedding.
Would be kind of interesting if every married woman wore their veil to church....? Maybe they did in Corinth?

We see a kind of head covering today in the Arab world, though woman often are required to wear so much more as well.

Ultimately it is about giving proper respect and honor to Christ who is pictured as the husband of the Church. Proper respect in marriage is important in both parties of a marriage. God was giving special instruction to both parties as he saw an issue regarding marriage common to the Corinthian church in particular.

Learning to love one another means learning to respect the other, coming to know the other, trusting each other, committing to one another and a host of other things. Love overlooks a great many faults that we all have, by showing mercy and forgiving. Marriage is like a small crucible of what it is like in the body of Christ. Learning to be Christian in marriage is no different than learning to be Christian in all other areas of our life. The physical is important, but the spiritual is vastly more important.

I'm not married on earth though I usually wear a hat. Why because it's sunny outside and I like to show respect to the sun, as my hair can get very hot - it's black.
On cold days I wear a beanie or a beret. So I suppose its kinda the same.

I notice other women don't like to wear any headgear, but I always do. Sometimes I'll be the only one in church wearing anything on my head. The annoying thing is nobody makes nice bonnets anymore that tie. So you have to make sure that whatever you wear fits properly or use a scarf.

why dosent God sometimes answer prayers?
I don’t know for sure...

But one thing that strikes me is in the scripture:

Philippians 2:13​

King James Version​

13 For it is God which worketh in you both to will and to do of his good pleasure.

So maybe He sees over our limitations in our spirit and because he knows what ultimately will be good for us.
Now I know sometimes this sounds harsh, I mean who wants their love ones to die? When someone we love is killed or abused... the above scripture sounds like God is an evil deity bent on seeing us suffer. But what if Something good comes out of it and we get to realise “the good” after “the bad”
Ie, someone may meet the love of their after being abused in the past.
Someone may come into a windfall to pay off their ideal house after being run over by a truck and get a large settlement...

like I say I’m just guessing, but the tree of knowledge of good and evil reminds me not to judge something too quickly as there could be a lot of good at the end of a bad situation. And sometimes He has us waiting because He knows we won’t be ready to fully appreciate what we ask for.( hence the fish and the stone scripture)
?
Hope someone chimes in with their views🙏
james tells us many times that we do not get, due to asking for selfish motives!

Back