Where Is The Love!

But what to do in a case like this? Jesus said "I am the way". We can look at it as fact or a matter of interpretation. When Jesus said I am the way, it is a fact that He is the only way. We have lot of people who claim Jesus did not mean or say He is the only way. Or we to tolerate that as interpretational difference?
Well then what you need to have is a discussion, exploring the possibilities, looking at the scriptures, reasoning, asking questions, challenging, etc. but all of which can be done respectfully, and if things end up deadlocked, it will have been an enlightening disagreement at the very least. And there's nothing wrong with walking away believing you were correct.

Could I suggest making hot thread a little more strictly moderated?

I find a lot of times the threads just spin off topic and degenerate, especially when we get charged language.

I think that the mods should try regulating the posts and keep them on track and give active warnings to members who break the rules. Usually we just close the thread but I don't think that will really solve the issue. Members who do get off track (and I am among them) I think need to be given a warning within the thread and the mod should bring the discussion back to the topic. And if members get snippy with the mod on the thread I think they should at least kicked off that thread.

When anyone clicks on a thread, the last page should still be carrying on the discussion of the OP. It feels like we always start off talking about whether "All Dogs go to Heaven" and end up arguing about sola scriptura.

Ideally members would have respect for all of the other members, but disrespecting a moderator I don't think can be tolerated.

Could I suggest making hot thread a little more strictly moderated?

I find a lot of times the threads just spin off topic and degenerate, especially when we get charged language.

I think that the mods should try regulating the posts and keep them on track and give active warnings to members who break the rules. Usually we just close the thread but I don't think that will really solve the issue. Members who do get off track (and I am among them) I think need to be given a warning within the thread and the mod should bring the discussion back to the topic. And if members get snippy with the mod on the thread I think they should at least kicked off that thread.

When anyone clicks on a thread, the last page should still be carrying on the discussion of the OP. It feels like we always start off talking about whether "All Dogs go to Heaven" and end up arguing about sola scriptura.

Ideally members would have respect for all of the other members, but disrespecting a moderator I don't think can be tolerated.
Now that we have more Staff, we will be able to more closely monitor threads. Remember, there's always the Report button.

Now that we have more Staff, we will be able to more closely monitor threads. Remember, there's always the Report button.

I know, but just for threads moving off topic, which I feel like is a big part of the problem, I don't feel like its appropriate to report.

I've also noticed we don't seem to assign jurisdictions to moderators. I've found most of the posts are in "General Discussion" so maybe if we divided that up into a few different sections and consolidated some of the other forums it would be easier for the Mods to regulate things. Usually we only have like 4 or 5 hot threads at a time, and those are the ones that probably need to be regulated the most.

I know, but just for threads moving off topic, which I feel like is a big part of the problem, I don't feel like its appropriate to report.

I've also noticed we don't seem to assign jurisdictions to moderators. I've found most of the posts are in "General Discussion" so maybe if we divided that up into a few different sections and consolidated some of the other forums it would be easier for the Mods to regulate things. Usually we only have like 4 or 5 hot threads at a time, and those are the ones that probably need to be regulated the most.
Reporting helps the mods know exactly where the issue is coming from. Even if you believe it's not a serious issue, and you just want to report to let the mods know to keep an eye out on a specific thread, it helps.

A good suggestion, but I prefer to allow the Mods and Helpers to roam. They will concentrate on the 'hot' threads.

The problem is, if we all correct others, thinking we know what Jesus wanted/meant/intended/said, what happens if we encounter someone else who is doing the same thing, and yet they have a different understanding?

That is where the Two Great Commandments come into play. Is the understanding wi
He didn't beat them up with Scripture.

Calling them vipers is a lot more strenuous than what I've seen here.

Except no one here is God.
And no one is called vipers here.

Because we DO have decorum, even if we disagree. I have not yet once seen the viper comment get thrown out nor the get thee behind me satan line.

Instead I see heated debate and then the thread is either abandoned or locked.

Because we DO have decorum, even if we disagree. I have not yet once seen the viper comment get thrown out nor the get thee behind me satan line.

Hm, I've been told I've been deceived by Satan here, possessed of a demon, and my personal favourite the Whore of Babylon has been bandied about. I think a viper would be preferable.

I've been called some nasty things too. And I've seen others call people even nastier things.

Once, I was called a cotton headed ninny muggin. At the time I was very offended. How could someone say something like that to me? Heartless. After some time had past, I thought about the situation again, and you know what.. I was being a cotton headed ninny muggin. They weren't being heartless. They were telling me the truth. It was something that I needed to hear. Now I consider that person a true friend, because they are honest with me, even though sometimes I am not honest with myself.

Hm, I've been told I've been deceived by Satan here, possessed of a demon, and my personal favourite the Whore of Babylon has been bandied about. I think a viper would be preferable.

Sometimes people take personally what was not meant. Cough, seriously...I thought the whore was female.

No hugs for you! Hugging is not a common thing in my culture.. We don't even give handshakes.. Traditionally.. Things have changed a lot these days..

I will give you "vanakkam".. Google for it. Same as Namaste in Hindi.. Vanakkam is the equivalent in my mother tongue..
vanakkam.gif
kinda like bowing to each other , am I right?

I was teasing Peace (which part?). As for being deceived by Satan - haven't we all fallen for one or the other of his lies? Or is that just me? (eeeek). What I mean is we can all find ourselves deceived - personally I'd rather find out now then after. People can be too thin skinned - on the other hand many typed phrases can be downright mean spirited. If you feel someone is - there are options a) ignore b)try to iron it out on PM c) call them on it from a civil, higher place. If you think you know everything, you are bound to have problems. I know I did when I first came here and I learned nothing. Pride is a big problem on any forum you go to. Some people go looking for fights. You won't learn much in those either. If you have humor use it, not to attack, but so everyone can step back and laugh.

I was teasing Peace (which part?). As for being deceived by Satan - haven't we all fallen for one or the other of his lies? Or is that just me? (eeeek). What I mean is we can all find ourselves deceived - personally I'd rather find out now then after. People can be too thin skinned - on the other hand many typed phrases can be downright mean spirited. If you feel someone is - there are options a) ignore b)try to iron it out on PM c) call them on it from a civil, higher place. If you think you know everything, you are bound to have problems. I know I did when I first came here and I learned nothing. Pride is a big problem on any forum you go to. Some people go looking for fights. You won't learn much in those either. If you have humor use it, not to attack, but so everyone can step back and laugh.
I understood and appreciated the tease :)

But if you do something I don't happen to like - is it better for me to say that it's my opinion that you've done something wrong, or to say that Satan's deceived you, got you in his clutches, whatever? In the first example you're stating an opinion. In the second, you're judging from a place you probably don't have the authority to judge from.

For the purposes of this forum, the first option is going to cause a lot less of a problem.

Back