Which denomination do you belong to and why? Or what does Church mean to you?

When Theological Labels are used like "Replacement Theology" and "Annilationism" I'm lost. I'm learning many terms like this as I read through definitions, but it is not my primary study. The Bible is a treasure trove to be mined and only recently have I thought to understand terms like this so as to communicate better with others on certain topics.

So forgive me if I ask you define these for me as you understand them.

No problem brother.

"Replacement Theology" is the teaching where the Church has replaced Israel and it will receive all the promises God made to Israel

"Annilationism" is another teaching that says there is no torments in hell and that the body is totally consumed by the fires of hell.

Both are completely false Bible teachings.

No problem brother.

"Replacement Theology" is the teaching where the Church has replaced Israel and it will receive all the promises God made to Israel

"Annilationism" is another teaching that says there is no torments in hell and that the body is totally consumed by the fires of hell.

Thanks

Actually, I did a study and produced a work on different Faiths regarding what they believe and what they teach and if they are actually Christian.

We went through it on Sunday evenings several years ago as workbook mind of production. It took a whole year to get through it.

Hello Major;

I'm glad you mentioned your study of different Faiths and their conviction of being a Christian. Its important to ask, do they really believe?

Two of my seminary classes was One Church Four Generations by Gary L. McIntosh, regarding understanding and reaching all generations in your church.

The other study was How To Give Away Your Faith by Paul E. Little, regarding evangelism - establishing a common ground and how Jesus was the master at relating to others (for example, the woman at the well.)

You may have remembered a post I have shared in the forum how church leaders don't teach enough of "an orientation of the church" that their new members are attending, especially new believers.

I feel if our churches instill a more solid "orientation" class or workshop of the church that one is attending, they would get better grounding of the overall Christology, Bible and application of the church they're attending while being a servant of God.

Now, I have had my share of people problems and attitudes in the church I serve, even within the leadership, and even myself, God forgive me.

But our intention was to hold a workshop to the new church members so they are grounded of why they believe and understand the church they are attending and serving. Many have come and gone, but there is a sense that they left with a better Christian foundation and what they learned, they can pass onto the next church God may be leading them.

God bless you, Pastor, your family and Happy New Year.

No problem brother.

Would just add that some of us who hold to Covenant theology while do see the Church as spiritual israel, do also see national israel will be reborn unto the Lord at His second coming!

Why not do such a thread brother.

I will be more that blessed to join in.

I find that my understanding is too confined to my experiential limitations. Besides, I have been having a kind of extended senior 'moment' lately. Even in the limited fashion above, I conflated the information a little. I would not want to give offense at my limited of incorrect view of a brother's experiences.

Denominations are so confusing.
Especially for new believers who were never in one to begin with.

Some churches don't offer anything or if they do they can make it really complicated. I know some had ten page booklets and things you had to sign and pledge and what not, and go to even more meetings. I know of some new believers who were at church and home groups practically every night of the week.

Denominations are so confusing.
Especially for new believers who were never in one to begin with.

Some churches don't offer anything or if they do they can make it really complicated. I know some had ten page booklets and things you had to sign and pledge and what not, and go to even more meetings. I know of some new believers who were at church and home groups practically every night of the week.

I've run into some of this myself in the past. Coming to understand the particular beliefs of a church can sometimes be a challenge as well.

I found this:

Denominational-Chart01-GIF2.gif (3300×1840) (timfalk.com)

Would just add that some of us who hold to Covenant theology while do see the Church as spiritual israel, do also see national israel will be reborn unto the Lord at His second coming!

Just so that everyone is on the same page, allow me to say that Covenant Theology isn’t so much a “theology” in the sense of a systematic set of doctrine as it is a framework for interpreting Scripture. It is usually contrasted with another interpretative framework for Scripture called “Dispensational Theology” or

Dispensationalism is currently the most popular scriptural interpretative method in American evangelicalism, and has been so from the latter half of the 19th century. Covenant Theology, however, remains the majority report for Protestantism since the time of the Reformation, and it is the system favored by those of a more Reformed or Calvinistic persuasion.

While I for the most part am in agreement with covenant theology in regards to the doctrines of grace (Calvinism), I can not agree with Covenant Theology in regards to the relationship between Israel and the Church, and in regards to the end times.

Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism have many differences, and sometimes lead to opposite conclusions regarding certain secondary doctrines, but both adhere to the essentials of the Christian faith: salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone, and to God alone be the glory!

I do not know that, but he held that we would be literally changed into God, as God family meant all saved would become God also!

So then......some of the false teachings of the World Wide Church of Herbert Armstrong/Ted his son were........

1. The ten lost tribes are migrated to the Anglo-Saxon Countries of Britain and the United States.
2. Britain=Ephraim
3. Israel is to be distinguished from the Jews. The Jews are from Judah and no one from Israel is a Jew.
4. England is the throne of David. This is where Christ will sit and rule when he returns to earth. ie: The throne upon which the Queen of England sits is actually the stone which Jacob used for a pillow at Bethel.
5. The use of the Hebrew language in relation to British-Israelism to show the House of Israel is the covenant people: the Hebrew word for "covenant" is "Beriyth". The Hebrew word for "man" is "ish". Together they mean "men of the covenant". The original Hebrew language has no vowels and they don't pronounce their "h's". If you keep the "I" to preserve the "y" sound, you take the Hebrew final form and use the Anglo pronunciation-"Beriyth" becomes Brith. Brit + ish = British, or covenant man. Also, the ten tribes are descended from Isaac and are therefore Isaac's sons. Armstrong puts this into shorter form "ssac's son's" or SAXONS.

Source: THE CULT OF ARMSTRONGISM (biblelineministries.org)

Hello Major;

I'm glad you mentioned your study of different Faiths and their conviction of being a Christian. Its important to ask, do they really believe?

Two of my seminary classes was One Church Four Generations by Gary L. McIntosh, regarding understanding and reaching all generations in your church.

The other study was How To Give Away Your Faith by Paul E. Little, regarding evangelism - establishing a common ground and how Jesus was the master at relating to others (for example, the woman at the well.)

You may have remembered a post I have shared in the forum how church leaders don't teach enough of "an orientation of the church" that their new members are attending, especially new believers.

I feel if our churches instill a more solid "orientation" class or workshop of the church that one is attending, they would get better grounding of the overall Christology, Bible and application of the church they're attending while being a servant of God.

Now, I have had my share of people problems and attitudes in the church I serve, even within the leadership, and even myself, God forgive me.

But our intention was to hold a workshop to the new church members so they are grounded of why they believe and understand the church they are attending and serving. Many have come and gone, but there is a sense that they left with a better Christian foundation and what they learned, they can pass onto the next church God may be leading them.

God bless you, Pastor, your family and Happy New Year.

Bob.....I identify completely with your post. Now allow me to share something very personal from my heart and from my last 50 years in Christianity and I do believe that you will agree with my observation as you also are doing the very same thing.

We post here from what we have "Actually SEEN and experienced" in life and a lot of people post what they "THINK" or what they believe or what they wish things were like"

There is a world of separation between what "WE THINK and what is actually seen in reality. Now you aske..."do they really believe?"

My response is "some do" and a lot do not.

The 1st thing we do is conduct a "New Members" class for all who join the Church. We have done that from my very 1st day. It is a 6 weeks class which I taught personally and was required to be a church member. During that class we discussed what other faiths taught and then showed from the Bible if that was acceptable or was to be rejected.

Some people insisted that speaking in tongues was needed to be saved.
One even asked why we as Christians did not pray the Rosary.
Some over the years insisted that we should be meeting on Saturday.
One even asked why we did not handle snakes.

YES I know....how could any informed, Biblical person claim to be A Christian and ask such question and the answer is found in your question.......
"do they really believe?"

They "Accepted" the words of a church denomination INSTEAD OF THE WRITTEN WORD OF GOD'!!!

Now, when I explained WHY we believe what we believe what we believe, I then ask the new members if they can accepted what the Bible says that is above and beyond what a denominational man has told them and they say NO, I then have had to inform them that they could not be a member of our Southern Baptist church until they without question study and be found acceptable as a church member.

Now before someone posts what they "THINK" or make some kind of philosophical question.....WE ARE NOT QUESTIONING THEIR SALVATION!
We are only pointing out that what they have been taught from a denomination perspective does not match the Word of God and because of that false idea they must come to accept the Word of God over the word of man to be a member of our Bible Believing Church.

I have been at this a very long time brother and I can testify that I have never had a church revolt or confrontation in any way and I believe with all of my heart that the process I just described is the the reason. Instead of just accepting a person and then "ASSUMING" that they will come around to believe what the Bible says is a prescription for disaster.

As Barney Fithe one said......"Nip it in the bud".

We teach what a Southern Baptist believes and what the Essentials of the faith are Biblically. My experience is that a great majority of people who say that they are Christians actually do not know what they believe and that is played out right here in front of us in the form of UNBIBLICAL and in some cases UNCHRISTIAN responses.

Last edited:
I find that my understanding is too confined to my experiential limitations. Besides, I have been having a kind of extended senior 'moment' lately. Even in the limited fashion above, I conflated the information a little. I would not want to give offense at my limited of incorrect view of a brother's experiences.

Being just an old country boy....can you tell me in simple English what you just said.

Just so that everyone is on the same page, allow me to say that Covenant Theology isn’t so much a “theology” in the sense of a systematic set of doctrine as it is a framework for interpreting Scripture. It is usually contrasted with another interpretative framework for Scripture called “Dispensational Theology” or

Dispensationalism is currently the most popular scriptural interpretative method in American evangelicalism, and has been so from the latter half of the 19th century. Covenant Theology, however, remains the majority report for Protestantism since the time of the Reformation, and it is the system favored by those of a more Reformed or Calvinistic persuasion.

While I for the most part am in agreement with covenant theology in regards to the doctrines of grace (Calvinism), I can not agree with Covenant Theology in regards to the relationship between Israel and the Church, and in regards to the end times.

Covenant Theology and Dispensationalism have many differences, and sometimes lead to opposite conclusions regarding certain secondary doctrines, but both adhere to the essentials of the Christian faith: salvation is by grace alone, through faith alone in Christ alone, and to God alone be the glory!
Yes, and what I have found is that one can hold to a Covenant view on salvation proper, and yet still maintain a more Dispy eschatology, such as seen in theologies of Dr MarArthur and J Oliver Buswell!

So then......some of the false teachings of the World Wide Church of Herbert Armstrong/Ted his son were........

1. The ten lost tribes are migrated to the Anglo-Saxon Countries of Britain and the United States.
2. Britain=Ephraim
3. Israel is to be distinguished from the Jews. The Jews are from Judah and no one from Israel is a Jew.
4. England is the throne of David. This is where Christ will sit and rule when he returns to earth. ie: The throne upon which the Queen of England sits is actually the stone which Jacob used for a pillow at Bethel.
5. The use of the Hebrew language in relation to British-Israelism to show the House of Israel is the covenant people: the Hebrew word for "covenant" is "Beriyth". The Hebrew word for "man" is "ish". Together they mean "men of the covenant". The original Hebrew language has no vowels and they don't pronounce their "h's". If you keep the "I" to preserve the "y" sound, you take the Hebrew final form and use the Anglo pronunciation-"Beriyth" becomes Brith. Brit + ish = British, or covenant man. Also, the ten tribes are descended from Isaac and are therefore Isaac's sons. Armstrong puts this into shorter form "ssac's son's" or SAXONS.

Source: THE CULT OF ARMSTRONGISM (biblelineministries.org)
Yes, he held to the British and usa being lost 10 tribes of Israel, in addition ro the Sabbath, jewish dietary, good works, and that lost are burnt away, and saved will became as God!

more confusion...!

Many do not seem to know what is taught by their denomination. I think in part it is because it can take quite awhile to explain each element. I've found it necessary to speak to the minister of a flock to gain the understanding that I seek.

Ultimately, it is God that reveals any truth through his word. Each of us most spend time in God's word, listening to God, meditating on these words and trusting that God will bring the understanding we need. God is the greatest teacher that the world has known or ever will come to know.

The 1st thing we do is conduct a "New Members" class for all who join the Church. We have done that from my very 1st day. It is a 6 weeks class which I taught personally and was required to be a church member. During that class we discussed what other faiths taught and then showed from the Bible if that was acceptable or was to be rejected.

Some people insisted that speaking in tongues was needed to be saved. One even asked why we as Christians did not pray the Rosary. Some over the years insisted that we should be meeting on Saturday. One even asked why we did not handle snakes.

They "Accepted" the words of a church denomination INSTEAD OF THE WRITTEN WORD OF GOD'!!!

Now before someone posts what they "THINK" or make some kind of philosophical question.....WE ARE NOT QUESTIONING THEIR SALVATION! We are only pointing out that what they have been taught from a denomination perspective does not match the Word of God and because of that false idea they must come to accept the Word of God over the word of man to be a member of our Bible Believing Church. We teach what a Southern Baptist believes and what the Essentials of the faith are Biblically. My experience is that a great majority of people who say that they are Christians actually do not know what they believe and that is played out right here in front of us in the form of UNBIBLICAL and in some cases UNCHRISTIAN responses.

more confusion...!

Many do not seem to know what is taught by their denomination. I think in part it is because it can take quite awhile to explain each element. I've found it necessary to speak to the minister of a flock to gain the understanding that I seek. Ultimately, it is God that reveals any truth through his word. Each of us most spend time in God's word, listening to God, meditating on these words and trusting that God will bring the understanding we need. God is the greatest teacher that the world has known or ever will come to know.

Hello Major, Lanolin and CPerkins;

Thank you for allowing me to share from my experience, an ongoing, problem of misdefining the Christian church. When the leadership does not instill an orientation to the new members - the Biblical teachings of being a Christian, why they believe in God, and the blessings of serving Him; the church members can stray for lack of knowledge in the church they're serving. Overtime the minister becomes inadequate and at some point God will hold him accountable.

I believe this goes a long way in part of the growth in Christ of all believers, therefore, the called, Spiritual leader must hold a higher standard of training and help minimize the confusion of church polity.

CPerkins made a good point of a believer going to their church minister and ask him what is being taught. Afterall, the Shepherd is to be prepared and accountable of the flock they are leading (serving.)

In Ephesians 4:1-16, the overseer must teach that church governance requires member's accountability as well.

My ongoing prayer is that churches going forward today will instill more solid orientation classes for the benefit of the new member(s) so in God's time, whether we remain or move on they will have a more grounding foundation of their Christian walk and understanding of God's Church and it's Biblical teachings.

God bless you all and Happy New Year.

Being just an old country boy....can you tell me in simple English what you just said.
I do not feel qualified to expound on the approaches of various denominations and the themes they commonly employ in support, but I have noted a few in passing as I visit friends congregations.

Also, my cognitive abilities are in eclipse. I spend more of my time clearing mental fog, and I may not express myself well. I am still young (sort of) and may recover, but aging is not avoidable short of His return.

I am particularly wary of commenting on themes within my spiritual brothers experiences.

Back