Who Is The Great Whore Referred To In Revelation?

I always wonder who this evil creature refers to, the full title being "Babylon the Great, the Mother of Prostitutes and Abominations of the Earth."

I've always thought it to be the Pagan roman empire which persecuted Christians at that time, is that correct?

Jerusalem is the whore of Babylon.

You did not referrance the Bible verse so I am guessing you are referring to Rev. 17:1-2.

Rev. 17:1-2 says.........
“Then one of the seven angels who had the seven bowls came and talked with me, saying to me, ‘Come, I will show you the judgment of the great harlot who sits on many waters, with whom the kings of the earth committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth were made drunk with the wine of her fornication.’”

Rev. 17:5 goes on to say.........
“And on her forehead a name was written: MYSTERY, BABYLON THE GREAT, THE MOTHER OF HARLOTS AND OF THE ABOMINATIONS OF THE EARTH.”

You ask.....Who is this “whore of Babylon” and what is “mystery Babylon”; Then proclaim that it is Jerusalem.

It is a mystery for sure but I for one am very confidant that it is not Jerusalem!

But there is more as we see in Rev. 17:3...........
“Then the angel carried me away in the Spirit into a desert. There I saw a woman sitting on a scarlet beast that was covered with blasphemous names and had seven heads and ten horns.”

The beast mentioned in this verse is the same beast as in Revelation chapter 13:1........
“And I saw a beast coming out of the sea. He had ten horns and seven heads, with ten crowns on his horns, and on each head a blasphemous name.”

The beast in Revelation chapter 13 is understood to refer to the Antichrist, the man of lawlessness as explained in 2 Thess. 2:3-4 and Daniel 9:27. So, the whore of Babylon, whoever it is, is closely affiliated with the end-times Antichrist.

When we read the Revelation carefully, we see that in chapter 17 a "system" which is run and controlled by the Beast, Anti-Christ. It is apparent to me that it will be the Revived Roman Empire. A Beast system controlled by the Beast.

Then in chapter 18 we see another Babylon and it is a city. A city that is destroyed in 1 hour. Since Jerusalem is the Eternal city of God, and in fact New Jerusalem will desend down from heaven over to what is now Jerusalem in Rev. 21:1-2, and suspend in the air and will be the home of the church, how could it have been totaled destroyed in Rev. 18.

What is a whore but one who has intimacy for money. In reality, even then, whores could be either gender. But when I think of this "occupation" I think of these folks as being forced (by evil?) to do this. Today it might be celebrity of any kind that seduces for $$.

I always wonder who this evil creature refers to, the full title being "Babylon the Great, the Mother of Prostitutes and Abominations of the Earth."

I've always thought it to be the Pagan roman empire which persecuted Christians at that time, is that correct?

Well it depends on who you talk to.

Some say it is a new empire like Rome.
Some say it is the physical Jerusalem because it allows Jews and Muslims to still be there.
Many say it is The Roman Catholic Church.
Even some Catholics that were against Vatican 2 that it is the new version of The Church.
And some Messianic Jews believe it is both Catholics and Protestants.

Personally I do not believe it is any single entity. But an amalgam of all that is defiled in the fallen world. That is why it is in league with the beast.

Like The Church is in league with God because he is righteous.
So the defiled nations will side with The Beast because it is unrighteous.

Two adversaries and their two sets of followers.

Well it depends on who you talk to.

Some say it is a new empire like Rome.
Some say it is the physical Jerusalem because it allows Jews and Muslims to still be there.
Many say it is The Roman Catholic Church.
Even some Catholics that were against Vatican 2 that it is the new version of The Church.
And some Messianic Jews believe it is both Catholics and Protestants.

Personally I do not believe it is any single entity. But an amalgam of all that is defiled in the fallen world. That is why it is in league with the beast.

Like The Church is in league with God because he is righteous.
So the defiled nations will side with The Beast because it is unrighteous.

Two adversaries and their two sets of followers.

It certainly can be Rome, but it can not be Jerusalem because when the Temple of the Dome of the Rock is destroyed, the Muslims will be removed.

It may be a combination of the RCC & Muslims and Protestants not raptured which is my thought.

It certainly can be Rome, but it can not be Jerusalem because when the Temple of the Dome of the Rock is destroyed, the Muslims will be removed.

It may be a combination of the RCC & Muslims and Protestants not raptured which is my thought.

Well Qubbat As-Sakhrah is not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Nothing will happen there until Israel finally purges the Levitical way.

And that is not happening anytime soon either.

Well Qubbat As-Sakhrah is not going anywhere, anytime soon.

Nothing will happen there until Israel finally purges the Levitical way.

And that is not happening anytime soon either.

I do not feel comfortable saying that or believing it.

All it would take is one extreme Jew to go into that temple with a bomb and blow it up. One Jewish Jet pilot with a load of bombs could do the same thing in one moment.

I believe that when the Muslim Temple is removed, that would spur the Jews to move toward animal sacrifices and the Law.

The Bible says that the A/C will stop "obulation" in the temple and declare himself to be God. The only place that the Jews would ever be doing that is in their temple and it does not exist as of yet. WHY?????

Because the Muslim Temple sits where it must be. Therefore it will go away. WHEN?????

I am of the opinion that it will be very soon!.

I still don't see that as making Jerusalem a "whore of Babylon". The Dome was built when the Jews had no control and now that they have control - it is a matter of survival that they allow the Dome to continue. I do not see any Jew being stupid enough to try and destroy it. Besides, some say they can rebuild the temple while the Dome remains.
Having said that, I agree that something will happen to the Dome in the next few years. But I think the meaning of the whore is different.

You ask.....Who is this “whore of Babylon” and what is “mystery Babylon”; Then proclaim that it is Jerusalem.

1) The language and symbology of Revelation is highly based on the Old Testament. Jerusalem is called a whore in the OT.

2) Revelation displays contempt for Jerusalem by calling it Egypt and Sodom.

3) Revelation isn't about Rome.

When we read the Revelation carefully, we see that in chapter 17 a "system" which is run and controlled by the Beast, Anti-Christ. It is apparent to me that it will be the Revived Roman Empire. A Beast system controlled by the Beast.

None of that is from the Bible.

Then in chapter 18 we see another Babylon and it is a city. A city that is destroyed in 1 hour. Since Jerusalem is the Eternal city of God, and in fact New Jerusalem will desend down from heaven over to what is now Jerusalem in , and suspend in the air and will be the home of the church, how could it have been totaled destroyed in .

Yes, God's Jerusalem is the one above. The one below is a whore, utterly unfaithful to God.

1) The language and symbology of Revelation is highly based on the Old Testament. Jerusalem is called a whore in the OT.

2) Revelation displays contempt for Jerusalem by calling it Egypt and Sodom.

3) Revelation isn't about Rome.

None of that is from the Bible.

Yes, God's Jerusalem is the one above. The one below is a whore, utterly unfaithful to God.

1).
Of course that is true without question. If one does not have a knowledge of the Old Test. prophets, then the Revelation will make no sense at all.

2).
That is not relevant as many cities and nations other than Jerusalem and Babylon are also compared to Sodom and Gomorrah.

Zephaniah 2:9......
"‘Therefore, as I live,’ declares the LORD of hosts, the God of Israel, ‘Surely Moab will be like Sodom, and the sons of Ammon like Gomorrah . . .’"

Matthew 11:23-24......
"Jesus said it will be more tolerable for Sodom in the day of judgment than it will be for Capernaum.

Matthew 10:15Mark 6:11, and Luke 10:12 ......
we see that indeed any place that does not receive the messengers of Christ will find themselves in even worse shape in the judgment than Sodom and Gomorrah.

3).
Correct. It is all about Israel. However, that fact does not exclude another nation or city from being involved.

Have you read Ezekiel 38:1-8???
"The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him 3 and say, Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. 4 And I will turn you about and put hooks into your jaws, and I will bring you out, and all your army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed in full armor, a great host, all of them with buckler and shield, wielding swords. 5 Persia, Cush, and Put are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; 6 Gomer and all his hordes; Beth-togarmah from the uttermost parts of the north with all his hordes—many peoples are with you.
7 “Be ready and keep ready, you and all your hosts that are assembled about you, and be a guard for them. 8 After many days you will be mustered. In the latter years you will go against the land that is restored from war, the land whose people were gathered from many peoples upon the mountains of Israel, which had been a continual waste. Its people were brought out from the peoples and now dwell securely, all of them. "

We would be advised to consider ALL of the Word of God in context!

You said......
"None of that is from the Bible. "

Since I did not quote any Scripture I assumed it was obvious I was giving my opinion. Sorry about that.

I grew up with the teaching that it was Rome, but after living in Manama, Bahrain, I believe it's Saudi Arabia (or even a future rebuild of the old city of Babylon). I say this because of what one sees in Arabia, it's just like this:

Revelation 18:11-19 (KJV)
And the merchants of the earth shall weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more: The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and fine linen, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyine wood, and all manner vessels of ivory, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble, And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men. And the fruits that thy soul lusted after are departed from thee, and all things which were dainty and goodly are departed from thee, and thou shalt find them no more at all. The merchants of these things, which were made rich by her, shall stand afar off for the fear of her torment, weeping and wailing, And saying, Alas, alas, that great city, that was clothed in fine linen, and purple, and scarlet, and decked with gold, and precious stones, and pearls! For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And every shipmaster, and all the company in ships, and sailors, and as many as trade by sea, stood afar off, And cried when they saw the smoke of her burning, saying, What [city is] like unto this great city! And they cast dust on their heads, and cried, weeping and wailing, saying, Alas, alas, that great city, wherein were made rich all that had ships in the sea by reason of her costliness! for in one hour is she made desolate.

Google "Gold Souq" images and you'll see how opulent they are. They only sell 18-24k gold by law! Their malls are all marble and wonderfully beautiful inlaid wood with gold or mother of pearl trim. In fact the bathroom at the Bahraini airport was more lavish than some of the best European hotel rooms. Their gems and pearls are the best in the world and dirt cheap. In fact people here in Belgium go there to buy Belgium diamonds because they're so much cheaper! They are filthy rich yet they build everything on the slaves from India to Bangladesh (because the labor force is paid a dollar or two a day for 14-hours work, no AC in 140 degree weather and living in shanty towns). In fact Bahrain is one of the last places on earth you can still get natural pearls - not cultured, and Bahrain is only 25k from Saudi Arabia.

Back to the word of God...

Revelation 17:1-2 (KJV)
And there came one of the seven angels which had the seven vials, and talked with me, saying unto me, Come hither; I will shew unto thee the judgment of the great whore that sitteth upon many waters: With whom the kings of the earth have committed fornication, and the inhabitants of the earth have been made drunk with the wine of her fornication.

So here we have governments "fornicating" with this whore as well as the inhabitants of the earth being drunk with the "wine" of her fornication... notice in chapter 18 how the merchants, ships and their trade by sea were horrified as the black smoke. The biggest ship type in the world are oil tankers - "drunk with the wine". The world may seem to run on money, but it's Saudi oil that keeps it all flowing - pun intended. Remember when Kuwait was on fire and how the black smoke from the oil fields that burned? The merchants of the world wouldn't cry over Rome being destroyed, but if Saudi Arabia's oil was gone, yea, that would cause great anguish.

Just my thoughts...from experience...

That is not relevant as many cities and nations other than Jerusalem and Babylon are also compared to Sodom and Gomorrah.

I don't see what's so special about an assortment of cities to warrant the attention that the Whore of Babylon gets. No city in the world has more relevance to scripture than Jerusalem. And, by speaking of the Jerusalem above as the bride of Christ, we have a dichotomy of the unfaithful whore Jerusalem, where Jesus was killed, vs. the faithful Jerusalem that is above. Rome was never God's bride so Rome's faithless or whoring wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The whore also sits on 7 hills. Relatively few cities have a reputation of being on 7 hills. Jerusalem's hills are named in scripture, such as the hill where Jesus was killed. Nowhere in scripture are any of Rome's hills acknowledge.

Have you read ???
"The word of the Lord came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face toward Gog, of the land of Magog, the chief prince of Meshech and Tubal, and prophesy against him 3 and say, Thus says the Lord God: Behold, I am against you, O Gog, chief prince of Meshech and Tubal. 4 And I will turn you about and put hooks into your jaws, and I will bring you out, and all your army, horses and horsemen, all of them clothed in full armor, a great host, all of them with buckler and shield, wielding swords. 5 Persia, Cush, and Put are with them, all of them with shield and helmet; 6 Gomer and all his hordes; Beth-togarmah from the uttermost parts of the north with all his hordes—many peoples are with you.
7 “Be ready and keep ready, you and all your hosts that are assembled about you, and be a guard for them. 8 After many days you will be mustered. In the latter years you will go against the land that is restored from war, the land whose people were gathered from many peoples upon the mountains of Israel, which had been a continual waste. Its people were brought out from the peoples and now dwell securely, all of them. "

We would be advised to consider ALL of the Word of God in context!

You said......
"None of that is from the Bible. "

I see nothing in your quote about a "revived Roman empire." The cities identified in your quote wouldn't be the first places to be named if the subject is the Roman empire.

I don't see what's so special about an assortment of cities to warrant the attention that the Whore of Babylon gets. No city in the world has more relevance to scripture than Jerusalem. And, by speaking of the Jerusalem above as the bride of Christ, we have a dichotomy of the unfaithful whore Jerusalem, where Jesus was killed, vs. the faithful Jerusalem that is above. Rome was never God's bride so Rome's faithless or whoring wouldn't be as much of an issue.

The whore also sits on 7 hills. Relatively few cities have a reputation of being on 7 hills. Jerusalem's hills are named in scripture, such as the hill where Jesus was killed. Nowhere in scripture are any of Rome's hills acknowledge.

I see nothing in your quote about a "revived Roman empire." The cities identified in your quote wouldn't be the first places to be named if the subject is the Roman empire.
Seven-Hilled Cities... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_of_Seven_Hills

Mecca, Saudi Arabia - seat of Islam also keep in mind the whore was in the wilderness (Rev 17:3)
Jerusalem, Israel - seat of Judaism
Rome, Italy - seat of Catholicism

I don't think that's by coincidence...

and many more...

Take this verse with you:

Isaiah 21:9 (KJV)
And, behold, here cometh a chariot of men, [with] a couple of horsemen. And he answered and said, Babylon is fallen, is fallen; and all the graven images of her gods he hath broken unto the ground.

Another prophecy about Babylon's fall... then it goes on to talk about Dumah (v. 11) Arabia (v.13) and Kedar (v.16) all in Saudi Arabia... which is in the desert... as is stated in v.1

Isaiah 21:1 (KJV)
The burden of the desert of the sea. As whirlwinds in the south pass through; [so] it cometh from the desert, from a terrible land.

Last edited:
Also Isa 13:20 says the Arabs will no longer pitch their tents there... the only people still in tents are those going camping and Arabs. In fact if you see what's going on with ISIS in Iraq, the Kurds (ancient Medes) are taking a slice of Iraq, which could be a fulfillment too of Isa 13:17-18.

Not so my friend! You are very wrong on this as well.

Ancient Rome and even today has always been known to have been built on Seven hills and in fact when you look it up on Google the names of the hills can be found:

1. Aventinus (Aventine)
2. Caelius (Caelian)
3. Capitolium (Capitoline)
4. Esquiliae (Esquiline)
5. Palatium (Palatine)
6. Quirinalis (Quirinal)
7. Viminalis (Viminal)

Also Isa 13:20 says the Arabs will no longer pitch their tents there... the only people still in tents are those going camping and Arabs. In fact if you see what's going on with ISIS in Iraq, the Kurds (ancient Medes) are taking a slice of Iraq, which could be a fulfillment too of Isa 13:17-18.

Agreed!

The occupation of whore means that "she" can be bought. Which city is a port?

Excellent! Plus, what does the Bible in fact say about that?????

Rev. 18:17......
"For in one hour so great riches is come to nought. And EVERY SHIPMASTER AND ALL THE COMPANY OF SHIPS AND SAILORS AND AS MANY AS TRADE BY SEA stood afar off".

That seems to indicate that the city in question has to be a city with a sea port that does a huge amount of shipping and trade.

Back