"Why God Tries Our Faith

[
God leads me on a path- He knows waht is there and uses all for my good:D
/QUOTE]

I am a broken, sinful man and I have faced many hardships and trials but God has used it all (even my weaknesses) for my good and his greater glory. He is an awesome God, he leads us to green pastures and beside the still waters...he restores our soul.

:DPerhaps not tempting buy bringing to the point of trail -it is precious in His sight:cool:

I prefer to ask believing I receive because of His goodness- we really don't have to beg but we are called to believe, to lean on Him in total dependance and to walk by faith!

Amen Boanerges. The bible teaches us to ask, believing( Mark 11:22-24). Never does Jesus direct us to beg Him or God for anything. We simply ask, believing we have the petitions we request of Him. Furthermore, in Ephesians 6:10, we are instructed to "be strong in the Lord, and in the power of His might. This tells us that we are well able to overcome the tests and trials that come at us by the authority Christ gave us. By using the name that is above EVERY name, JESUS, and by putting on the WHOLE armour of God, we are able to quench the fiery darts of the wicked one. Further study of the Apostle Paul's epistle to the Ephesians, will teach us how to use our spiritual weapons against evil and wickedness in high places. For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places (Eph. 6:12). No, we don't have to beg Jesus' help. He already won for us on the cross. It's all been taken care of. By accepting and using the authority He gave us, is all the help we need. We have the Victory through Christ. Satan is a defeated foe. It's about time Christians realized who we are in Christ and take our rightful place (seated in heavenly places with Him, Eph. 2:6). Satan won't have any power in the life of the Believer who know who he or she is in Christ. He'll FLEE everytime the Word of God is used against him. God bless.

Sheba

I noticed that test and temptation were lumped together. God does not tempt us, but He does test us:

1 thes 2:4

But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts.

Exactly HS! God is good all the time and He is constantly poishing the rough edges of these living stones!:)

I noticed that test and temptation were lumped together. God does not tempt us, but He does test us:

1 thes 2:4

But as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, even so we speak, not as pleasing men, but God who tests our hearts.

Hi Humble Servant.:) That word "trieth" (or test if you prefer) is translated "examine" in the Greek. God does not test our heart, for He knows our heart. We must rightly discern the Word of God, and we can do so by looking at other scriptures comparable to the one in question. God examines our heart to see what our motives are. Take a look at 1 Sam. 16 :7 when the Prophet Samuel is directed to anoint one of the sons of Jesse who will replace King Saul:

But the LORD said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the LORD seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the LORD looketh on the heart.

Looking at the whole sentence (1 Thess. 2:4), we read the writer saying, "they've been approved by God to be entrusted with the Gospel". God examined (tried/tested) their hearts to know the condition of it and found they could be so entrusted to spread the Gospel to a lost and dying world. So we see that God does trieth (examines, looks at, observes) our heart to know it's pure and without hidden agendas. But for argument's sake, let's say He does test our heart. That is quite different than testing us with trials and tribulations isn't it? But scripture bears witness that He neither test us with trials/tribulations, or test our heart. He is the only One Who can see on the inside our very being. It's one reason we are commanded not to judge others motives because we see only the "outward appearance". But God examines (trieth, test) the heart. God bless.

Sheba

If God does not test us, then how do you explain gen 22 with Abraham going to sacrifice Isaac? How can you consider than anything but a test? "Now I see thou fearest God..."

gen 22:1
Now it came about after these things, that God tested Abraham, and said to him, "Abraham!" And he said, "Here I am."
hebrews 11:17
By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac, and he who had received the promises offered up his only begotten son,

deut 8:2
And you shall remember that the LORD your God led you all the way these forty years in the wilderness, to humble you and test you, to know what was in your heart, whether you would keep His commandments or not.

deut 8:16
who fed you in the wilderness with manna, which your fathers did not know, that He might humble you and that He might test you, to do you good in the end--

the word for test here is "nacah"... meaning:

"to test, try, prove, tempt, assay, put to the proof or test"

this is God putting Abraham, and Israel to test.

What were there tests?

Killing a son, wandering a desert in midst of peril with no man-made means of survival. Hard things... trying things. How could these things be anything but a test? What purpose is there if not to test and prove?

If we go through trials, but not of The Lord's will, then who is putting us on trial? If it isn't God, we therefore should not submit to it and have the power to not submit to it, leading trialess/testless lives.

It seems as if freewill is truly that. We have the power to choose "good or evil, blessing or cursing"... and God is working with us to change us and prove us, that those who are "faithful in little, might be faithful over much."

Ok I just found this..... Temptation, testing ( Heb, masah, gr peirasmos)----- The idea of putting to the proof- from either a good or bad intention.

Jesus , true man, faced bothtesting from God and temptation from satan.

The Lord tests individuals-- Abraham (Gen. 22:1 ) Job ( Job 23:10 Hezekiah (2 Chon 32 :31) and nations (Deut 8 :2, 16:33:8) Sometimes his testing is severe and painful (1Cor 11:32; Heb 12 : 4-11; 1 Peter 1 : 7;4:8-13 ) but it originates in holy love.

Until Jesus returns, satan has freedom to tempt people to sin ( 1 Chron 21:1) He is called the tempter ( Matt 4 :3; 1 Thess 3:5) and the adversary of Christians (1 Tim 5:14; 1 Peter5: 8) God sometimes uses this tempting to test believers. Satan afflicted Job within limits God imposed ( Job1:6-22;2:1-7) He decieved Eve( 1Tim2:14)

Christians are to be constantlywatching for temptataion ( Mark14:38;Luke 22:40; 2Cor 2:11; 1 Peter 5 :8)
They can overcome temptation(1Cor10:13) Satan tempted Jesus (Matt 4:1-11) Temptation is not sin---- sin is to submit.

To test God is to assert unbelief and lack of trust in him . ( Exod 17:7;Deut 6:16; 1 Cor 10:9 Ps 95:8-11;Matt 4:5-6; Acts 5 :9 ,15 :10; 1Cor 10 :9)

Before partaking of the Lord's supper believers are to test themselves ( 1 Cor11:28) to see whether they are spiritually prepared to participate. Such testing should be a regular feature of the Christian life (2 Cor 13:5; Gal 6:40)

Back