Why is homosexual sin so bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not asking if it is a sin or not, but why does it seem to be a so much worse sin than others in some Christian circles?

I'm not looking for answers like, "It's an abomination," but why is this particular abomination so much worse than other abominations such as gossip (Prov. 6:19)?

Cool! I didn't know a verse citation automatically produces a link to it.
biggrin.png

Homosexuality is no greater a sin than adults lusting after children, greed, envy, theft, or any of the hundreds of activities considered sinful.
In this culture it was just such a rarity until modern times that it was easy to pick on, especially by men who are easy to make feel insecure in their own masculinity. What I often find amusing is the castigation of homosexuals by those who are more than happy to support theft and murder.

Just as Glomung has stated, homosexuality is just as capable of send the sinner to hell as incest, rape, adultery and on to lies and beyond. Culture has made homosexuality repulsive in nature and the unlearned Christian has chosen to run hard and long from that point without pausing to read their Bible. Of course, Pew Whales are very common and they are also very difficult to teach so I do not know a cure.

Whilst it is true that all sin is rebellion against God, and that God hates all sin, it is not true that the Word considers all sin equal. Sexual sin in any form appears to be very high on God's list of things he hates. Throughout the Old Testament, it seems to take a disproportionate emphasis. I believe that this is because God created sex to be a beautiful expresssion of love between a man and a woman in a committed relationship, through which children would be produced. He never intended it to be a plaything to be used only for the gratification of people's lower urges.

In the New Testament, it takes on an even greater significance:

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. (v16) What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. (v17) But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. (v18) Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. (v19)What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

blessings,

Lynn

The "fornication" in 1 Corinthians 6:15 is the spiritual/occult/religious iniquity, when the believer follow/exercising/practice spiritual/occult/religious wickedness/unrighteousness, this is the profanation/desecration/defilement of own/self body/being, and this is the sin inside of (the) human.
See in Romans 1:17-32, also and (in) the next chapters.

Homosexuality is a sin that is considered by the world not to be a sin. This is becuase it is seen as an act of love between two consenting people, so whats the harm in it and how can you even start to say that it is equally bad as murder. As a result of this new moral reprogramming of society, where homosexuals have won legal rights and public acceptance, yet still continue to push it down our throats with gay pride parades and so on, homosexuality has become one of the major battlefields when it comes to bashing Christians and Christianity.

As a result of this continual bashing etc, its no wonder that many Christians are getting fed up with this stance and therefore, is no suprise when it comes to chastising people for it.

The "fornication" in 1 Corinthians 6:15 is the spiritual/occult/religious iniquity, when the believer follow/exercising/practice spiritual/occult/religious wickedness/unrighteousness, this is the profanation/desecration/defilement of own/self body/being, and this is the sin inside of (the) human.
See in Romans 1:17-32, also and (in) the next chapters.
I have vision problems. Normal text all runs together and moves around on me and can be quite a chore to read sometimes.

When you do a reply, do you think you can make it readable for me? Thank you! :) :)

In the New Testament, it takes on an even greater significance:

1Co 6:15 Know ye not that your bodies are the members of Christ? shall I then take the members of Christ, and make them the members of an harlot? God forbid. (v16) What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh. (v17) But he that is joined unto the Lord is one spirit. (v18) Flee fornication. Every sin that a man doeth is without the body; but he that committeth fornication sinneth against his own body. (v19)What? know ye not that your body is the temple of the Holy Ghost which is in you, which ye have of God, and ye are not your own?

That's a very good point, yet in many churches somebody dealing issues of lust or fornication will be accepted and encouraged, while somebody dealing with issues of same sex attraction will be cast out. Why does homosexuality seem to have become the most heinous sin one can commit? That's what I'm asking.

Homosexuality is a sin that is considered by the world not to be a sin. This is becuase it is seen as an act of love between two consenting people, so whats the harm in it and how can you even start to say that it is equally bad as murder. As a result of this new moral reprogramming of society, where homosexuals have won legal rights and public acceptance, yet still continue to push it down our throats with gay pride parades and so on, homosexuality has become one of the major battlefields when it comes to bashing Christians and Christianity.

As a result of this continual bashing etc, its no wonder that many Christians are getting fed up with this stance and therefore, is no suprise when it comes to chastising people for it.
Bashing Christians and Christianity?

I don't think so. Christians were anti-gay long before the gays started fighting back. In fact, if you look at the history of the modern gay movement, it was the spiritual gay bashing and anti-gay laws pushed primarily by Christians that started it all.

But that's not the question. Atheists and pro-choice folk are just as good or better at "bashing" Christians than gays. Why don't we see the same outright hatred directed at them?

Just as Glomung has stated, homosexuality is just as capable of send the sinner to hell as incest, rape, adultery and on to lies and beyond. Culture has made homosexuality repulsive in nature and the unlearned Christian has chosen to run hard and long from that point without pausing to read their Bible. Of course, Pew Whales are very common and they are also very difficult to teach so I do not know a cure.

I tend to agree a lot of it is cultural, but I wouldn't say it's just unlearned Christians. It's pastors and theologians as well. They're the ones teaching it to the unlearned Christians.

fwiw, I agree with Bill. I think it's culture/man made.
Yeah, it's certainly not Biblical. Considering the handful of verses that even broach the subject compared to the hundreds of verses addressing other common sins, some of which seem to be ignored completely, it seems odd that this particular sin has become the most cardinal sin of all.

Well there is definitely a double standard where homosexuality is concerned. Here's an example:
A heterosexual man several years ago was reported to police by his neighbor when she looked out her window and saw him masterbating in front of his window which faced her house. He was prosecuted and sent to court ordered treatment.
Slightly more recently an aid of former Minnesota Governor Jesse Ventura was caught masturbating in the locker room at the YMCA - in plan sight. A man who had his young son with him called the police. All h@ll broke out that this was homophobia. and our governaor even said the aid should never have been arrested as this was "a normal part of the homosexual lifestyle"

In other-words. public masterbation for heterosexuals in a crime and a mental disorder, but for homosexuals it is normal behavior!

These two comparison examples are not isolated events. This is very typical. Homosexuals can run whore house and law enforcement dare not disrupt their activities because the outcry claiming prejudice, bigotry and homophobia will crush them and bring on costly vicious lawsuits. But no one conplains or calls foul when heterosexual whorehouse gets busted.

If heterosexuals put on the type of graphic, public, sexual display in a parade that we see from the GLBT crowd, we would all be round up, hauled off, and locked up pending bail.

Ginger

Why does homosexuality seem to have become the most heinous sin one can commit? That's what I'm asking.
Actually, I do not believe that homosexuality (respectively homosexual intercourse) is a specially "heinous sin". All sins are actually leading to death, all sins require forgiveness.

However, homosexuality is a particularly difficult sin - and it is particularly difficult for churches to deal with it, because homosexuals, like people who have relationships outside of marriage or who live in adultery are usually in a state of sin. It has also turned out, that homosexuality is not a state which can easily be turned away from. A homosexual can not easily promise not to be homosexual in the future, since sexual projections are - so much at least for my own observation - compareable to very persistent brain-immanent habits like drug addictions. It is not for no reason that so many people even claim that homosexuality is genetically determined - often after desperately trying to get rid of their own homosexuality.

In my opinion, the premature condemnation of homosexuals by many churches has turned out to be a very sad and regrettable story. I know of some homosexuals who are actually believers in Christ but who do not attend any church because of their homosexuality. Indeed, homosexual intercourse is a sin - and indeed, sinners who insist on their sin are to be excluded from the congregation. However, and especially because homosexuality is such a difficult issue, the over-simplified actions of different Churches against it are obviously contraproductive. At the other hand we observe many churches which ordain even homosexual priests. It seems to be an issue which is by many Christians not handled 'christian' at all.

If heterosexuals put on the type of graphic, public, sexual display in a parade that we see from the GLBT crowd, we would all be round up, hauled off, and locked up pending bail.

Yeah, that's why everybody at Mardi Gras gets arrested every year.

How many Gay Pride parades have you seen? I've seen lots of them in three different cities. I've never seen the kind of graphic, public, sexual display that Christians claim go on there.

As for your other stories, that's all they are. Without the details I can't say anything about them.

None of which really addresses the question of this post.

Actually, I do not believe that homosexuality (respectively homosexual intercourse) is a specially "heinous sin". All sins are actually leading to death, all sins require forgiveness.

However, homosexuality is a particularly difficult sin - and it is particularly difficult for churches to deal with it, because homosexuals, like people who have relationships outside of marriage or who live in adultery are usually in a state of sin. It has also turned out, that homosexuality is not a state which can easily be turned away from. A homosexual can not easily promise not to be homosexual in the future, since sexual projections are - so much at least for my own observation - compareable to very persistent brain-immanent habits like drug addictions. It is not for no reason that so many people even claim that homosexuality is genetically determined - often after desperately trying to get rid of their own homosexuality.

In my opinion, the premature condemnation of homosexuals by many churches has turned out to be a very sad and regrettable story. I know of some homosexuals who are actually believers in Christ but who do not attend any church because of their homosexuality. Indeed, homosexual intercourse is a sin - and indeed, sinners who insist on their sin are to be excluded from the congregation. However, and especially because homosexuality is such a difficult issue, the over-simplified actions of different Churches against it are obviously contraproductive. At the other hand we observe many churches which ordain even homosexual priests. It seems to be an issue which is by many Christians not handled 'christian' at all.
Yeah, I should have made a distinction between homosexuality and homosexual acts in that comment.

I don't believe a homosexual can promise to not be homosexual in the future at all. They can promise to not engage in homosexual acts. I've been through the ex-gay ministry. They don't change gay to straight. At best, they teach people tricks to avoid acting on those feelings.

There are a lot of LGBT Christians out there, both practicing and nonpracticing.

I don't know anything about sexual scenes at Gay Pride Marches but I'm not convinced having them helps your cause.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back