Why won't my chilli's turn red?

I'm growing Spanish chilli peppers in my greenhouse. They are growing well, there are lot's of them and they're getting really big, BUT they are not going red. I've googled to no avail, can anyone help. Also, I'm growing them in the UK. What can I do?

Pic's please :). here's a link that I think you might be growing. Spanish Chili's. If it's a Naga / Jolokia strain they will turn red/orange/ yellow when ripe. Long season for those types. Sept/Oct

Unfortunately, they seem to be of some sort of very generic strain. As seedlings they were all I could get hold of during lockdown. And all it says on label is Spanish Chilli's. I think I might just pick a couple and feed them to the children (they like chilli), and see what happens. But I also wonder if I should just sit and wait. The picture on seedlings showed red chillis.

If I pick now, will chilli's be milder or hotter?

Unfortunately, they seem to be of some sort of very generic strain. As seedlings they were all I could get hold of during lockdown. And all it says on label is Spanish Chilli's. I think I might just pick a couple and feed them to the children (they like chilli), and see what happens. But I also wonder if I should just sit and wait. The picture on seedlings showed red chillis.

If I pick now, will chilli's be milder or hotter?
Milder in normal cases. Pick 1 , taste it, see what happens.

I’ve never been a fan of chillis.
They burn my mouth too much.
Though I’m not sure which ones burn more the green or the red ?
Depends on the strain :) For instance. Bell peppers are green to red to yellow to orange. All are not hot but have a mellow sweet flavor. Ghost chili's go from green to red to orange and are extremely hot. Even the devil wont eat them aaaahahahaha more for me. Cayenne is my favorite. High medicinal value. Boost immune system, full of V-C and not too hot. Hey guys here's a link where I buy my plants. It's a wealth of info on all the peppers they grow. Been using them for years. Enjoy :) http://www.chileplants.com/

OK Latest chilli update. My (unknown) plants have gone rogue. So, I severely cut them back, and during the process gained 8 still green chilli's, averaging 5 inches long. Took one and took a big old bite out of it. It tasted like a green bell pepper. So, I am going to use them in stir fries, and wait for the rest that are growing to turn red..

They are getting lots of heat and sunshine, coz in my part of the UK we have had a stonker of a heatwave. And, they are in my tiny greenhouse.

I think I am in possession of mystery chilli's.😎

My flowers are out now, got big purple ones! It's called an echium, I can't show you a pic though as it won't upload here (says it's too big file)
No chillis though!

I'm growing Spanish chilli peppers in my greenhouse. They are growing well, there are lot's of them and they're getting really big, BUT they are not going red. I've googled to no avail, can anyone help. Also, I'm growing them in the UK. What can I do?
Isnt it that the redder the chilli the hotter it becomes. Green chillis work well, they are just not as spicy.

The eagle has landed!

I was confused by the fact that my chilli's were full grown and yet not ripening. However, they have now decided to do so in September. I think the poor things have been confused by the strange weather patterns, or social distancing, or not being able to ripen in groups of more than six.

But I now have a greenhouse chock full of red chilli's.

Happy days x

The eagle has landed!

I was confused by the fact that my chilli's were full grown and yet not ripening. However, they have now decided to do so in September. I think the poor things have been confused by the strange weather patterns, or social distancing, or not being able to ripen in groups of more than six.

But I now have a greenhouse chock full of red chilli's.

Happy days x
ripple_bounce.gif

e-needpics.gif

(Just kidding... CONGRATULATIONS!!! But seriously.... pics?)

Back