Would You Lie To Save A Innocent Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wow. I guess I fall in the no lies camp but I am astonished that it is the minority view. There is ALWAYS a way to tell the truth. Jesus never lied and He saved everybody! I have never seen a lie that wasn't self serving. And I worked in the criminal justice system for 27 years. And I have lied. I try especially hard not to do it any more. If you want to save innocent lives - turn them to Christ. It is a specious argument to say that someone should lie for any reason. You do not have to lie if you remain silent or misdirect with questions. For years I have heard it is okay to tell a "white" lie and I have never found any truth in that. I have never found truth in the so-called "brutal" truth either. Both are lies. And I have never seen a lie help an innocent. And it is very easy to lie, most of all, on computer. Lies are portals - doorways- into your very soul, and they open the way to evil. Not that many people hid Jews from the Nazis. Historical fact says that most people collected bounty in turning them in and those who hid them. Those who hid them, in most cases - were never asked. None of the people, who hid Ann Frank and her family were ever prosecuted.
I would question a burning bush that told me to lie. It is against God and love.

Great response!

One of the first things I learned as a Christian way back when was "never say never, and never say you would do something" Every time I said those kinda of things I found my self doing what I said I would not do, and not doing what I said I would do. I did not know any scriptures to back that up, but I knew there was some kind of spiritual law I was exercising that caused me to experience these things. Kinda like, what ever a man soweth that shall he also reap". These spiritual laws are operational in our life whether you know them or not. I kept telling new believers to not say these kinds of things because you can not guarantee for sure you would not do or do what you say. That is where James chapter 4 tells us....

James 4:13 Come now, you who say, "Today or tomorrow we will go into such and such a town and spend a year there and trade and make a profit"--
James 4:14 yet you do not know what tomorrow will bring. What is your life? For you are a mist that appears for a little time and then vanishes.
James 4:15 Instead you ought to say, "If the Lord wills, we will live and do this or that."
James 4:16 As it is, you boast in your arrogance. All such boasting is evil.
James 4:17 So whoever knows the right thing to do and fails to do it, for him it is sin.

When we say we would never do or do something about the future what we are really doing is "boasting" about ourselves, (which is pride, and we know that pride comes before a fall) which james calls evil. Now I know what spiritual laws I was breaking that caused me to experience these things. Never say never, and never say you would do something when you can not guarantee you would. :)
Well there is a difference between saying you would and you will. But I agree.

Mr 3:4 And he saith unto them, Is it lawful to do good on the sabbath days, or to do evil? to save life, or to kill? But they held their peace.

See in the "letter" legalistically they would be breaking the "law" but Christ came to show us a greater law! His commandment and law to love! (the Spirit)

Love is all about truth. It's not legalese. David committed adultury and set Uriah up to be slain. He's part of the bloodline too. I have found, when I think about it, there's is always a way to tell the truth . I may not give all of it or say anything at all but I no longer reach for a lie.

Hey when the government starts hunting down Christians and putting them into camps and killing them..you better remember Rahab and Christ Jesus...not Moses!

I said I read the scripture quickly and didn't see it - not that Rahab did lie or didn't. And I looked it up again when you posed. So what rooster is crowing???? And who is being honest here?

Love is all about truth. It's not legalese. David committed adultury and set Uriah up to be slain. He's part of the bloodline too. I have found, when I think about it, there's is always a way to tell the truth . I may not give all of it or say anything at all but I no longer reach for a lie.
I think the point Mitspa is trying to make is that lying in some cases may actually be loving. Just like how Jesus supposedly broke the sabbath to save a life, Rahab lied to keep people safe. It is not a sin to keep people safe, is it?

This was the same problem the pharisees had with Jesus. They didn't want to do anything on the sabbath so when those who needed help came to them they didn't want them to be healed, and that's why they were mad at Jesus. In the same we, we might be mad because someone lies to save another, but should we be?

Right Cosmo...we have been set free from this lower legalistic code, not so we can "sin" but so we can keep the HIGHER standards of God..which are always fulfilled in love! This is what Christ came to show us and give us!

Mark 2:27
And he said to them, “The Sabbath was made for man, not man for the Sabbath"

In the same way, “You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." is for man's sake. We were not made for this commandment, but it was made for our sake. Because in many cases, bearing false witness is not a loving thing. But if we bear false witness to protect our neighbor, where is the sin in that?

Rahab lied and all those of her people died. She saved 2 men and how many died? I get what is being said but lying is not righteous. And I don't say what anyone else should do - And if I am around when they demand I take the mark or die - I will gladly die. And I won't take any other hiding Christians with me. If the truth cannot be said - I will say nothing. In deadly/fatal circumstances, I will let the HS lead me but under normal circumstances, I do not live with apartheid or under Nazi Germany or under the antichrist, so I am going with lying is bad period.

Rahab lied and all those of her people died. She saved 2 men and how many died? I get what is being said but lying is not righteous. And I don't say what anyone else should do - And if I am around when they demand I take the mark or die - I will gladly die. And I won't take any other hiding Christians with me. If the truth cannot be said - I will say nothing. In deadly/fatal circumstances, I will let the HS lead me but under normal circumstances, I do not live with apartheid or under Nazi Germany or under the antichrist, so I am going with lying is bad period.
lying in and of itself is not righteous, but it can be done righteously and lovingly.

And of course we are not to take the mark of the Beast (that is a completely different subject), and I don't think we will even have the chance if you believe the pre-trib rapture.

The scripture did not say, "by faith Rahab lied" there is no such a thing. It says by faith she received the spies in peace. She believed that Israel were truly the children of God. Any one who lies is being influenced by the father of lies which is the Devil.

Taking the mark was already mentioned before I posted (I believe by King J) - I always read the entire thread before posting. Lying is a choice we make and to me it is serious and against scripture. Will God forgive me for it? I believe He already has. I can't think of a situation where I would lie if I didn't feel I had to. And I would try everything else I could think of to avoid it in a "good" cause. My experience so far is that lies are self serving and tend to lead to to worse places than the "temporary fix" it usually is.

The scripture did not say, "by faith Rahab lied" there is no such a thing. It says by faith she received the spies in peace. She believed that Israel were truly the children of God. Any one who lies is being influenced by the father of lies which is the Devil.
Have you read the scriptures?..or just those that you think apply to your false understanding of righteousness? Legalism is death, love is life...this is the Gospel!

Jos 2:3 And the king of Jericho sent unto Rahab, saying, Bring forth the men that are come to thee, which are entered into thine house: for they be come to search out all the country.
4 And the woman took the two men, and hid them, and said thus, There came men unto me, but I wist not whence they were:

Yes Rahab lied! and she was justified in her actions before God!

Jas 2:25 Likewise also was not Rahab the harlot justified by works, when she had received the messengers, and had sent them out another way?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back