Would You Lie To Save A Innocent Life?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to long ago a group of Christians on another forum asked me to answer yes/no "would I lie to save a innocent life?" They were not very happy with my response back to them, in fact nobody liked what I said.
So I am asking it here just to see what others thought.

Would you?
Is it ever OK to lie to do the will of God?

If you lie to save a life you're trusting in your own ability to save a life and not God's ability. So not only would the person be breaking a commandment by lying, but they would also be breaking a commandment by doubting God.

Where would our faith be if we had to sin to save a life?

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." - Bible verse

Last edited:
Not to long ago a group of Christians on another forum asked me to answer yes/no "would I lie to save a innocent life?" They were not very happy with my response back to them, in fact nobody liked what I said.
So I am asking it here just to see what others thought.

Would you?
Is it ever OK to lie to do the will of God?
Yes, to save a life. I have done it before too in defence of a friend.

If you lie to save a life you're trusting in your own ability to save a life and not God's. So not only would the person be breaking a commandment by lying, but they would also be breaking a commandment by doubting God.

Where would our faith be if we had to sin to save a life?

"Do not be afraid of those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. Rather, be afraid of the One who can destroy both soul and body in hell." - Bible verse
We need to judge the situation at hand harshly. Intention is everything.

If your child stole from you and was now going to get his hands chopped off, would you lie and say he didn't?

If it meant the other would go to heaven, a definite yes!

And now I'm playing this out in my head..

Insurgents have captured you and your lover Chester. In a heavy accent the insurgent screams at you, "TAKE DIS MARK OR WE SHOOT YOU LOVER CHESTER IN DEE HEAD!!"

You scream back, "Nooooooooo! PLEASE DON'T SHOOT CHESTER I LOVE HIM!!"

Insurgent demands, "Take de mark!"

You whisper, "Ok.. Ok, I'll do it for Chester."

Chester, "Equality!"

The insurgent tags you with the mark of the beast, and then points the gun at Chester and says, "Take DIS MARK OR WE SHOOT YOU LOVER KINGJ IN DEE HEAD!!"

He takes the mark, now you both have the mark, but at least you saved your lives...

:) You have quite an imagination. I would tell Chester that the mark has bigger ramifications. Hence, only if I knew Chester would go to heaven, would I take it. I would also tell Chester that we deserve hell if we were gay ;).

Let's consider someone dear to us and not Chester. If they said they would torture your wife and kid for years, unless you take the mark, would you?

:) You have quite an imagination. I would tell Chester that the mark has bigger ramifications. Hence, only if I knew Chester would go to heaven, would I take it. I would also tell Chester that we deserve hell if we were gay ;).

Let's consider someone dear to us and not Chester. If they said they would torture your wife and kid for years, unless you take the mark, would you?
"For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me will find it." - Bible verse

Last edited:
Rahab lied, and she became an ancestor to Jesus Christ.

Yes, Rahad did lie, but, She was only using the information she had heard about God to make her decision. She did not have God living on the inside of her like we do today. In the New Testament it says this......

Heb 11:31 By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace.

God dealt with her not because of her lie, but by her faith in receiving the spies with peace. :)

Last edited:
Just so you know, the forum I was on that wanted me to answer either yes or no on weather I would lie to save a life, they ALL said they would lie to save a life, and many of them were pastors.

I think a lot of Christians when they read the story of Rahab, and see how she lied and God spared her, and her family from destruction, they see her lie as a signal, that it is OK to lie as long as you have a good excuse.

I think a lot of Christians when they read the story of Rahab, and see how she lied and God spared her, and her family from destruction, they see her lie as a signal, that it is OK to lie as long as you have a good excuse.
And if thats the case then we can assume it was OK when David hooked up with Uriah's wife.. Since he was a man after God's own heart, right?

King David lied to Ahimelech the prophet which caused King Samuel to kill him and his family, and also all of the prophets in Israel along their families as well. That's more than 1000 lives over one lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back