Your Thoughts About Outreach (Witnessing/Evangelism/Apologetics)

I found working with children you might have to prepare the soil first before you even speak the Word.

Its like gardening, preparing the seedbed before sowing seeds so you have a better germination rate. And timing is also everything. Some seeds will only grow at a particular time of year.

So it may not look like you are even doing anything 'Christian' by mentioning Jesus or whatever. But you are preparing the soil, and it might even take a few years. Children respond to love and also they are a bit different from adults as children readily come to Jesus before they even know who He is, or they have some kind of inkling of God who is bigger than even their parents.

Parents can't always be there for their children unfortunately...and in big families, middle children can get lost in the shuffle.

With adults, they need to be ready with a listening ear and eyes to see. I think it's harder in many ways when adults are not open to learning anything new or feel like they can't. They get in ruts and often go through their routines cos its safe and familiar. While young people are always bouncing from one thing to the next open to life and all it has to offer.

I found working with children you might have to prepare the soil first before you even speak the Word. Its like gardening, preparing the seedbed before sowing seeds so you have a better germination rate. And timing is also everything. Some seeds will only grow at a particular time of year. So it may not look like you are even doing anything 'Christian' by mentioning Jesus or whatever. But you are preparing the soil, and it might even take a few years. Children respond to love and also they are a bit different from adults as children readily come to Jesus before they even know who He is, or they have some kind of inkling of God who is bigger than even their parents. Parents can't always be there for their children unfortunately...and in big families, middle children can get lost in the shuffle. With adults, they need to be ready with a listening ear and eyes to see. I think it's harder in many ways when adults are not open to learning anything new or feel like they can't. They get in ruts and often go through their routines cos its safe and familiar. While young people are always bouncing from one thing to the next open to life and all it has to offer.

Hello Lanolin;

I'm happy you posted this and I agree with you. I have to admit at first I was intimidated when I was asked to help with the children's group back in 1996. I know I date myself but I take to heart the good years and try not to dwell on the bad ones which were plenty in my life.

We had about 40 children, 5 - 12, but as I got to know them they turned out to be the most wonderful people. As they got to know me I found they were grounded in the love of Jesus but it still takes time to develop because they're getting to know who He is.

What's even amazing were the times the children actually ministered to me! šŸ˜Ž

God bless you always.

I found working with children you might have to prepare the soil first before you even speak the Word.

Its like gardening, preparing the seedbed before sowing seeds so you have a better germination rate. And timing is also everything. Some seeds will only grow at a particular time of year.

So it may not look like you are even doing anything 'Christian' by mentioning Jesus or whatever. But you are preparing the soil, and it might even take a few years. Children respond to love and also they are a bit different from adults as children readily come to Jesus before they even know who He is, or they have some kind of inkling of God who is bigger than even their parents.

Parents can't always be there for their children unfortunately...and in big families, middle children can get lost in the shuffle.

With adults, they need to be ready with a listening ear and eyes to see. I think it's harder in many ways when adults are not open to learning anything new or feel like they can't. They get in ruts and often go through their routines cos its safe and familiar. While young people are always bouncing from one thing to the next open to life and all it has to offer.
you hit the nail right on the head .your gardening example is very true and Bible

When considering outreach and witnessing, it is very important to encourage a new Brother along a supportive path.

When I first accepted Christ, there were three churches I considered attending.

One was the church where my mother brought me when I was small. The seed was sown there. Much of my early thoughts were meditating on what I heard here and considering how what I was learning about the world of science fit in.

The second had a youth group where I had many friends. The seed was watered there.

The third had a christian family that took me under it's proverbial wing. Brought me into their Bible study, and after a while put me to work teaching 4rth & 5th grade Sunday School. I was later 'demoted' to teaching 3rd grade.

The point is that as central as a commitment to Christ is, one should also be able to talk about joining the community of believers and strengthening their faith.

When considering outreach and witnessing, it is very important to encourage a new Brother along a supportive path. When I first accepted Christ, there were three churches I considered attending. One was the church where my mother brought me when I was small. The seed was sown there. Much of my early thoughts were meditating on what I heard here and considering how what I was learning about the world of science fit in. . The second had a youth group where I had many friends. The seed was watered there. The third had a christian family that took me under it's proverbial wing. Brought me into their Bible study, and after a while put me to work teaching 4rth & 5th grade Sunday School. I was later 'demoted' to teaching 3rd grade. The point is that as central as a commitment to Christ is, one should also be able to talk about joining the community of believers and strengthening their faith.

Hello Siloam;

I like when you outlined your God's watering of the seed planted in you. I know it's not just a 1, 2, 3 thing. There are years of growing, setbacks, failure, lessons learned, accomplishments and spiritual maturity.

My mother did the prayer of acceptance when I was a boy. The years in my early walk included growing, setbacks, failure and lessons learned where God grew me. But joining the community of believers was/is priceless. It helped strengthen their faith and mine as well.

God bless you, brother, and your family.

Under the broad topic of evangelism and the promotion of the God's Kingdom there is the practice of sending missions into God's world. Sometimes missions are sent to exotic foreign places, but sometimes they are planting a church somewhere closer by.

The first church I joined after receiving Christ supported several missions, but it was done more behind the scenes than a major part of the message. From time to time a missionary would come an talk about the efforts he/they have made (or intend to make) and the results they have seen. There would be a special offering taken specifically for their support, often along with promises by the church to send monthly or quarterly donations. Unless one where on the board of deacons where allocations were made, little of this would be visible as a regular basis.

The church I attend now makes a great effort to aid evangelistic efforts. In addition to many efforts to raise funds, we assemble tracts of scripture (particularly from Romans) in several languages and mail them all over the world to missionaries. When missionaried do visit, there is often a dinner in their honor (where additional collections are taken) and we hear of their efforts from the pulpit many times during year.

Supporting foreign and domestic missions can be a key part of the outreach of a church.

Back