12 tribes of Israel

I'd like to do a study on the 12 tribes of Israel and their attributes if anyone would like to join me.
I'm not sure how they link in with the 12 apostles but in the kingdom of heaven this will be the case, as we get grafted in.
If anyone wants to post scripture please feel free.
Can we start with the patriarchs and work our way to the NT? Also I have a question about Dinah, the only daughter and where she went..

Sounds interesting, Lanolin but I'm not sure, exactly what you wish to study. But I was drawn to this thread because I'm curious about the tribe of Dan (tribe of Samson) and why it is the one tribe not mentioned in Revelations. There is the apocryphal prophecies of Jacob for each tribe that assigned the serpent to that tribe. It is speculated that they helped do the gold work on the Ark of the covenant. It is also speculated that they may have migrated to the Greeks and Romans (their bloodlines) and Phoenicians. Here's a take from the Naked Archeologist:

Hmm thanks silk im gonna check that out in my Bible.
I havent really studied this before so..we can all learn together.

Here are the names of the tribes.
Juda (judah)
Reuben
Gad
Aser (or asher)
nepthalim
manasses
simeon
Levi
Issachar
Zabulon
Joseph
Benjamin

You ? forgot the tribe of Dan

Num_1:21 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Reuben, were forty and six thousand and five hundred.
Num_1:23 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Simeon, were fifty and nine thousand and three hundred.
Num_1:25 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Gad, were forty and five thousand six hundred and fifty.
Num_1:27 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Judah, were threescore and fourteen thousand and six hundred.
Num_1:29 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Issachar, were fifty and four thousand and four hundred.
Num_1:31 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Zebulun, were fifty and seven thousand and four hundred.
Num_1:33 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Ephraim, were forty thousand and five hundred.
Num_1:35 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Manasseh, were thirty and two thousand and two hundred.
Num_1:37 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Benjamin, were thirty and five thousand and four hundred.
Num_1:39 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Dan, were threescore and two thousand and seven hundred.
Num_1:41 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Asher, were forty and one thousand and five hundred.
Num_1:43 Those that were numbered of them, even of the tribe of Naphtali, were fifty and three thousand and four hundred.

Genesis says that Dan was like a serpent...when Israel blesses his sons and prophecies over them thats what he says.
dan is also likened to a lions whelp.
dan was Rachels son by her handmaid Bilhah.
He was the first to be born to her after Leah had all the other sons, Rachel grew desperate and got a surrogate.
In Judges, the tribe of Dan goes into idolatry.
Rachel declard that God had judged her, so she gave the name Dan, which means judge, to her son.

This is what ive read so far.
Anyone got anything else to add? Its all very interesting. I dont know if Dan was one of the brothers especially cruel to Joseph. Bible does not mention in that story/passage..but havent finished reading all it has to say about Dan yet.

In Revelation, the tribe is not mentioned as sealed:
Rev 7:4 And I heard the number of them which were sealed: and there were sealed an hundred and forty and four thousand of all the tribes of the children of Israel.
Rev 7:5 Of the tribe of Juda were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Reuben were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Gad were sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:6 Of the tribe of Aser were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Nepthalim were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Manasses were sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:7 Of the tribe of Simeon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Levi were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Issachar were sealed twelve thousand.
Rev 7:8 Of the tribe of Zabulon were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Joseph were sealed twelve thousand. Of the tribe of Benjamin were sealed twelve thousand.

Yes...it is not only apocryphal but in scripture that Dan was given the symbol of the serpent :Gen_49:17 Dan shall be a serpent by the way, an adder in the path, that biteth the horse heels, so that his rider shall fall backward.

Wasn't the tribe of Levi set apart to be the preists? I remember somewhere in the OT where they were left out of something because of this.

Wasn't the tribe of Levi set apart to be the preists? I remember somewhere in the OT where they were left out of something because of this.

Yes, Levites were set aside, as far as land (?) goes except the sanctuary cities? But I think the Levites all were of the bloodline of Aaron?

So would that make Aaron, brother of Moses, from the tribe of Levi? I'd have to go back and see if maybe Aaron's wife was Levi and Aaron from another tribe.

I am going to read bit more about Manasses (sp?) I do know it says somewhere about Ephraim and Manasseh being joined together, they were twins.

I can remember looking into this many years ago, and here I am digging in me memory when I should be digging in my Bible.

There were 12 sons whose progeny became the tribes. The land was divided among them, with the exception of the Levite's, who would be the priests of all.

There were 10 northern and 2 southern areas. That would mean a total of 13 (12 areas + The Levite's) . As I remember it the extra is because one tribe was split (each grandson choosing half)

I will look at the video later when got time..must go out. Thanks for posting it. The first part very interesting.

Back