2 Cor 5:8 study

Status
Not open for further replies.
Many people take 2 Cor 5:8 out of context, and I would like to put it back into context. This passage speaks of the first resurrection. If we expand on this single passage, it is easy to see this in its entirety. Notice that 1 Cor 15:50-54 and 2 Cor 5:1-10 both speak of the first resurrection, immortality, being clothed and being swallowed up.

1 Cor 15:50-54 NIV I declare to you, brothers and sisters, that flesh and blood cannot inherit the kingdom of God, nor does the perishable inherit the imperishable. 51Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed— 52in a flash, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet. For the trumpet will sound, the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed. 53For the perishable must clothe itself with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality. 54When the perishable has been clothed with the imperishable, and the mortal with immortality, then the saying that is written will come true: “Death has been swallowed up in victory.”

2 Cor 5:1-10 NIV For we know that if the earthly tent we live in is destroyed, we have a building from God, an eternal house in heaven, not built by human hands. 2Meanwhile we groan, longing to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, 3because when we are clothed, we will not be found naked. 4For while we are in this tent, we groan and are burdened, because we do not wish to be unclothed but to be clothed instead with our heavenly dwelling, so that what is mortal may be swallowed up by life. 5Now the one who has fashioned us for this very purpose is God, who has given us the Spirit as a deposit, guaranteeing what is to come. 6Therefore we are always confident and know that as long as we are at home in the body we are away from the Lord. 7For we live by faith, not by sight. 8We are confident, I say, and would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord. 9So we make it our goal to please him, whether we are at home in the body or away from it. 10For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, so that each of us may receive what is due us for the things done while in the body, whether good or bad.

- ATP

Not another rapture thread! :confused: No one is going to change their mind on the subject... if you don't believe in it, fine; if do believe in it, fine. Why all the need for debates? (n)

For myself, I appreciate understanding the views of others. When something strikes me as inconsistent, I may ask a pointed question, but those are not meant to put the other on the spot, only to guide them to how they can address my concerns.

There have been times when my view abruptly changed during a discussion (or a sermon). There have been many more times that my understanding was refined. And there are times when a common view has been reinforced.

I find alternate points of view stimulating, and leave me with a better understanding of my own faith regardless of whether I found complete agreement, or a contrasting view.

It is not my province to define the limits of what may be called 'Orthodoxy'. It may be so for others, but I prefer to challenge my own understanding and, at the very least, understand where my brother's beliefs lie rather than charge in to assure that they conform to my 'ultimately correct' opinion.

In matters that are obscure and far beyond our vision, even in such as we may find treated in Holy Scripture, different interpretations are sometimes possible without prejudice to the faith we have received.
John Hammond Taylor;Augustine. St. Augustine: The Literal Meaning of Genesis (Kindle Locations 482-483). Kindle Edition.

Never looked at it before. As it is currently 11:24pm I'll be heading to bed. I'll pick it up when I can tomorrow. I should reply later in the evening my time. God Bless and good night :) :sleep:

Sorry I was becoming so blurry eyed from being tired I couldn't think straight. Yes, they are linked. What point are you trying to make?

I fail to see any false context being given to 2 Corinthians 5:8.

Here is the entire passage in context:

2 Corinthians 5:1-10
New Bodies
For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 7 For we live by believing and not by seeing. 8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 9 So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him. 10 For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.

That's why I thought you were going to talk about the rapture and my statement at the beginning of this thread.

Oh.

Well, let's continue. Can you find the first resurrection in 2 Cor 5:1-10. Where do you see it.

I fail to see any false context being given to 2 Corinthians 5:8.

Here is the entire passage in context:

2 Corinthians 5:1-10
New Bodies
For we know that when this earthly tent we live in is taken down (that is, when we die and leave this earthly body), we will have a house in heaven, an eternal body made for us by God himself and not by human hands. 2 We grow weary in our present bodies, and we long to put on our heavenly bodies like new clothing. 3 For we will put on heavenly bodies; we will not be spirits without bodies. 4 While we live in these earthly bodies, we groan and sigh, but it’s not that we want to die and get rid of these bodies that clothe us. Rather, we want to put on our new bodies so that these dying bodies will be swallowed up by life. 5 God himself has prepared us for this, and as a guarantee he has given us his Holy Spirit.

6 So we are always confident, even though we know that as long as we live in these bodies we are not at home with the Lord. 7 For we live by believing and not by seeing. 8 Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord. 9 So whether we are here in this body or away from this body, our goal is to please him. 10 For we must all stand before Christ to be judged. We will each receive whatever we deserve for the good or evil we have done in this earthly body.

Correct, and this entire passage is about the first resurrection.

Paul does teach about the first resurretion and what happens to us believers, but it also alludes to the fact that while we are in this body, we are in effect "away from the Lord", and so when we die and shed our bodies, we will be with Him. The first resurrection is all about getting our new bodies.

Verse 9 gives us an inkling about how we will be with the Lord outside of our earthly bodies when we die, and still without the new glorified bodies we will receive at the resurrection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back