2 Timothy 2:15

Through studying Acts 10, among other baptism related scripture, I had a revelation, which is always awesome to have when one studies scripture.

I had started with 1 Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

I was looking at it from the perspective of immersion and how this may pertain. Dwelling on this, baptism in this case seemed to be a connection or a joining to Moses, or to Christ thru Moses. Also this could be viewed as a dedication or a beginning of their journey.

Then I went to Acts 10, because this gives a solid example of baptism of Gentiles and the Holy Spirit connection.

43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

Then Peter answered, 47 “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

The first thing that jumps out is “whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.” Just as Abram (Abraham) was pronounced righteous because of his belief, so too, the remission of sin is from belief, calling on the Lord’s name as stated elsewhere. Abraham was not baptized, and yet he received remission of sin. But let’s lay that aside.

Next, we have the Holy Spirit falling on these new believers and they receive the HS into their being. God’s own Spirit can only be received by those who had their sins forgiven. As of yet, they were not baptized by water. So baptism does not forgive or remit sin. Hearkening back to Jesus healing and, what?, forgiving sins, when He did not baptize. To try to make an argument for those who had not received remission of sin, for lack of baptizing, to receive the Holy Spirit, credibility has been flushed.

Next we have Peter say, “Can anyone forbid water”? Can anyone say no to baptizing them? By forbidding it, what would that mean? That they can’t publicly show they are now Christian? That they can’t make a commitment to the faith? Of course they can, but there seems to be more to it.

Now I look up Galatians 3: 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

And with it,

1 Corinthians 12: 12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

What jumped out to me was “baptized into Christ” and “baptized into one body”. This what Peter was inferring to by “Can anyone forbid water”. Can anyone deny these people the joining with the body of Christ, the Church. Now this fits well with 1 Corinthians 10:2 . The joining and connecting to the Church, dedicating one’s life and beginning one’s ministry, and making the public statement of faith.

I believe you are saying that the "mystery" is the Church. Jews and Gentiles now come to God through faith in Christ and that body of believers is called the Church which was not seen in the Old Test.
The mystery is a new man. Where both Jewish and Gentile are both reconciled and made one.
If you say the "church" while it might be so used in its purest for Paul does not so use it but speaks of a new man far better then to stick to his definition as to the mystery as that alone is enough to be going one with.
In Christian
Gerald

I see no answer to why The Holy Spirit used the words remission or to wash away .
If God commands something ,God requires it .
If God commands baptism ,then God requires baptism.
Please explain how a command is not a requirement .
I am going to say it again .
I have never said that baptism saves, but it is required to wash away our sins .
We are only saved by the shed blood of Christ .
If you think that the words ( remission and to wash away ) are wrong ,just say so .I believe that The Holy Spirit used those words for a reason . If you think that The Holy Spirit should have used other words don't be afraid ,just spell out the words that The Holy Spirit should have used ,it is just that simple .
Your first question is for you to answer not to use the one verse to substantiate something that so contradicts a consistent doctrine espoused by the same holy spirit as to the blood.
Either you have misunderstood the verse you quoted.or the holy spirit is inconsistent.
My experience tells me I'm wrong when I contradict the holy spirit.
Might I suggest that you are mixing two things.
Baptism IS a requirement. You are not saved by it but neither are you not saved if you don't.
But why should you not be baptised if you are truly Christ's? For we are to be made conformable to Christmas in all things.

In Christ
Gerald

Through studying Acts 10, among other baptism related scripture, I had a revelation, which is always awesome to have when one studies scripture.

I had started with 1 Corinthians 10:1 Moreover, brethren, I do not want you to be unaware that all our fathers were under the cloud, all passed through the sea, 2 all were baptized into Moses in the cloud and in the sea, 3 all ate the same spiritual food, 4 and all drank the same spiritual drink. For they drank of that spiritual Rock that followed them, and that Rock was Christ.

I was looking at it from the perspective of immersion and how this may pertain. Dwelling on this, baptism in this case seemed to be a connection or a joining to Moses, or to Christ thru Moses. Also this could be viewed as a dedication or a beginning of their journey.

Then I went to Acts 10, because this gives a solid example of baptism of Gentiles and the Holy Spirit connection.

43 To Him all the prophets witness that, through His name, whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.”

44 While Peter was still speaking these words, the Holy Spirit fell upon all those who heard the word. 45 And those of the circumcision who believed were astonished, as many as came with Peter, because the gift of the Holy Spirit had been poured out on the Gentiles also. 46 For they heard them speak with tongues and magnify God.

Then Peter answered, 47 “Can anyone forbid water, that these should not be baptized who have received the Holy Spirit just as we have?” 48 And he commanded them to be baptized in the name of the Lord. Then they asked him to stay a few days.

The first thing that jumps out is “whoever believes in Him will receive remission of sins.” Just as Abram (Abraham) was pronounced righteous because of his belief, so too, the remission of sin is from belief, calling on the Lord’s name as stated elsewhere. Abraham was not baptized, and yet he received remission of sin. But let’s lay that aside.

Next, we have the Holy Spirit falling on these new believers and they receive the HS into their being. God’s own Spirit can only be received by those who had their sins forgiven. As of yet, they were not baptized by water. So baptism does not forgive or remit sin. Hearkening back to Jesus healing and, what?, forgiving sins, when He did not baptize. To try to make an argument for those who had not received remission of sin, for lack of baptizing, to receive the Holy Spirit, credibility has been flushed.

Next we have Peter say, “Can anyone forbid water”? Can anyone say no to baptizing them? By forbidding it, what would that mean? That they can’t publicly show they are now Christian? That they can’t make a commitment to the faith? Of course they can, but there seems to be more to it.

Now I look up Galatians 3: 27 For as many of you as were baptized into Christ have put on Christ. 28 There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither slave nor free, there is neither male nor female; for you are all one in Christ Jesus.

And with it,

1 Corinthians 12: 12 For as the body is one and has many members, but all the members of that one body, being many, are one body, so also is Christ. 13 For by one Spirit we were all baptized into one body—whether Jews or Greeks, whether slaves or free—and have all been made to drink into one Spirit.

What jumped out to me was “baptized into Christ” and “baptized into one body”. This what Peter was inferring to by “Can anyone forbid water”. Can anyone deny these people the joining with the body of Christ, the Church. Now this fits well with 1 Corinthians 10:2 . The joining and connecting to the Church, dedicating one’s life and beginning one’s ministry, and making the public statement of faith.
You answered correctly ,baptized into Christ .

Your first question is for you to answer not to use the one verse to substantiate something that so contradicts a consistent doctrine espoused by the same holy spirit as to the blood.
Either you have misunderstood the verse you quoted.or the holy spirit is inconsistent.
My experience tells me I'm wrong when I contradict the holy spirit.
Might I suggest that you are mixing two things.
Baptism IS a requirement. You are not saved by it but neither are you not saved if you don't.
But why should you not be baptised if you are truly Christ's? For we are to be made conformable to Christmas in all things.

In Christ
Gerald
It never stops amazing me to see that people say ,baptism is required but not needed . When God requires something ,it is needed !!!!!!
And for the reasons stated in Acts 2:38 ( for the remission of sins ) and Acts 22:16 ( wash away your sins ) .
You will not enter Heaven with your sins .

It never stops amazing me to see that people say ,baptism is required but not needed . When God requires something ,it is needed !!!!!!
And for the reasons stated in Acts 2:38 ( for the remission of sins ) and Acts 22:16 ( wash away your sins ) .

Why do you think that baptism is necessary? You have agreed that it is not for salvation.

I have constantly shown why baptism is required.
To everyone reading these posts.
It is very obvious ,that those who will not except that baptism is to wash away our sins ,or for remission of our sins ,as The Holy Spirit has very plainly stated in Acts 2:38 be baptized for the remission of your sins ,or Acts 22:16 be baptized to wash away your sins .
They will say that it is a " beleivers " baptism or a "memioral " baptism .
Those words are not found in any scriptures .
Baptism for remission of sins is found in Acts 2:38
Baptism to wash away sins is found in Acts 22:16.
( Do Not ) take my word for what I am posting ,check it out for yourself !!

I have constantly shown why baptism is required.

Not really. You only post constantly that it is required and then it is for the washing away of our sins, which is not the truth, and even then you only use a fractured portion of the verses that touch upon the subject. That is not a fair or scholarly treatment of the word of God. You have been asked at least three times to provide the verses in their entirety and you have proved yourself to be unwilling, which is rather unfriendly and can be viewed as deceitful.

To everyone reading these posts.
It is very obvious ,that those who will not except that baptism is to wash away our sins ,or for remission of our sins ,as The Holy Spirit has very plainly stated in Acts 2:38 be baptized for the remission of your sins ,or Acts 22:16 be baptized to wash away your sins .
They will say that it is a " beleivers " baptism or a "memioral " baptism .
Those words are not found in any scriptures .
Baptism for remission of sins is found in Acts 2:38
Baptism to wash away sins is found in Acts 22:16.
( Do Not ) take my word for what I am posting ,check it out for yourself !!

Holy Spirit has not once said that water baptism is for the washing away of our sins. Please reveal and paste the entire verses that teach what you think.

You need to do a proper study on baptism from a reputed source, so that you will be corrected, but you will have to be malleable and willing to undergo the Holy Spirit's correction.

Last edited:
I have only been feeding the milk of The Word ,because it is very obvious that it is needed at this time . When the meat of The Word can be consumed I will advance to the more edifying and rebuking Words of the Scriptures .
Please keep studying and rightly dividing The scriptures ,
Keep in mind that only you can please God , no one can do it for you .

Acts 22:16
What are you waiting for? Get up and be baptized. Have your sins washed away by calling on the name of the Lord.’

Acts 2:21
But everyone who calls on the name of the Lord
will be saved.’

Romans 10:13
For “Everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.

As we all can see, we are saved and our sins are cleansed by the calling upon the name of the Lord!

I have only been feeding the milk of The Word ,because it is very obvious that it is needed at this time . When the meat of The Word can be consumed I will advance to the more edifying and rebuking Words of the Scriptures .
Please keep studying and rightly dividing The scriptures ,
Keep in mind that only you can please God , no one can do it for you .

Some of us are past the milk and onto the meat. You've just made a very serious error in judgment. Please, for your own sake, do not set yourself up as a teacher of the word here. We are a Christian forum, and we enjoy sharing our faith and the truth of the word of God with each other. As a new member here, you would do well to exchange views on various subjects with camaraderie in mind, and not viewing us as your students. We are not.

Verses which have remission in the KJV, all having to do with remission of sin.
Mat 26:28

copyChkboxOff.gif
Mark 1:4

copyChkboxOff.gif
Luke 1:77

copyChkboxOff.gif
Luke 3:3

copyChkboxOff.gif
Luke 24:47

copyChkboxOff.gif
Act 2:38

copyChkboxOff.gif
Act 10:43

copyChkboxOff.gif
Rom 3:25

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 9:22

copyChkboxOff.gif
Heb 10:18

You have simply not understood what I said.
to be made conformable to Christ you needs must be baptised even as he was.
baptism is Not needed to be .saved. or more accurately to be Born again.
But in obedience to the "law of Christ" you cannot as it were either be separated from Egypt or enter into the promised land.
Your fixation that you must be baptised to be cleansed from sin has no basis in scripture.
It is however the foundation for presenting your body as a living sacraf ice unto God.
It is a righteous work done by a person who through faith in christ has been counted righteous.
If however you seek to be counted righteous by baptism that is another matter.
Jesus was already righteous when he was baptised. He also had life.
So too do all believers who in obedience to Christ commit their bodies to Him through baptism and in likeness his death also. Fully comit ted according to the measure of faith they have. And in that confess not only are they Christ's in life and in death but also are committed to the work of God.
In Christian
gerald

'Beware lest any man spoil you through philosophy and vain deceit,
after the tradition of men,
after the rudiments of the world,
and not after Christ.
For in Him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.
And ye are complete in Him,
which is the head of all principality and power:'

(Col 2:8-10)

With respect, don't you see that you are all, for differing reasons, denying the completeness of the finished work of Christ? Do you not see that we are indeed made 'complete' in Christ? What is incomplete about the word, 'complete', that you feel that it needs to be made 'completely complete' by some work of ours?

* God has told us that we are, 'accepted in the Beloved', because of the finished work of Christ.

During the gospels and the Acts period, baptism in water was a requirement, but now, following the laying aside of Israel in unbelief, (temporarily), at the end of that period: with the revelation of the mystery given to Paul, and made known to us in the epistles which were written subsequently (Eph. Phil. Col. 2 Tim. Titus); baptism is of the spirit. Baptism into Christ: into His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand in glory. All is in Him, all is of Him, to the glory of the wondrous grace of God: by the Spirit.

'There is one body,
and one Spirit,
even as ye are called in one hope of your calling;
One Lord, one faith, one baptism,
One God and Father of all,
who is above all, and through all, and in you all.'

(Eph 4:4-6)

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
and not after Christ.

With respect, don't you see that you are all, for differing reasons, denying the completeness of the finished work of Christ? Do you not see that we are indeed made 'complete' in Christ? What is incomplete about the word, 'complete', that you feel that it needs to be made 'completely complete' by some work of ours?

* God has told us that we are, 'accepted in the Beloved', because of the finished work of Christ.

During the gospels and the Acts period, baptism in water was a requirement, but now, following the laying aside of Israel in unbelief, (temporarily), at the end of that period: with the revelation of the mystery given to Paul, and made known to us in the epistles which were written subsequently (Eph. Phil. Col. 2 Tim. Titus); baptism is of the spirit. Baptism into Christ: into His death, burial, quickening, resurrection and ascension to God's right hand in glory. All is in Him, all is of Him, to the glory of the wondrous grace of God: by the Spirit.

'There is one body,
and one Spirit,

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Then you will have to consider why Paul lists baptism in his list of the milk of the word in Hebrews.

To be complete in Christ does not mean that perfection to which Paul said he had not yet attained.
We are made perfect in Christ but it is a perfection that is in need of perfection.
That is to say a green and tender plant just come out from the soil is in itself 'perfect'
But it has still to reach that perfection for which it was created for and will be like unto the seed from which it sprang.
Thus baptism Is still required and is encumbent upon all believers.to fulfill righteousness.
Jess was baptised. Why?
If then he so then I.
For as Paul says of it in baptism we are "buried with Christ"
If then by faith you believe you are crucified with Christ " should you not also be buried with him also?
For how can you know also "raised together with him also?
Did not Paul speak of being made conformable to his death"?
and in another place "that I might know the power of his resurection"?
How can you know the power of his resurection unless you are dead?
Who can say Paul did not know either? Clearly he did.then it is also clear that while we are indeed complete in Christ,may I say there is more to Him than you do yet know and it is to your joy and his will that you work out your own salvation and come to know more of Him than you would ever have conceived yet was possible.
For clearly Paul though complete in Him saw vistas as it were and 'lands' yet to explore and know.
Both in the Lords death as also in His resurection as much as in the Person of our a lord Jess Christ.
and if this is still doubted.
then look at your Bible.
It is a finite book with an end and a beginning,it is complete.
men have been studying it for how many years? You have been for how many?
Be it ever so complete are you going to say that there is nothing more to know? For you or them?
and when I say 'know' I do not mean as head knowledge but rather like unto what is said of Adam and others they "knew "their wives,..

In Christ
Gerald

and not after Christ.

'There is one body,
and one Spirit,

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Good post. A question popped into my head while reading. Did Jesus need to be baptized? Definitely not for sins, so what was the purpose? And can the Christian be baptized for the same reason?

Good post. A question popped into my head while reading. Did Jesus need to be baptized? Definitely not for sins, so what was the purpose? And can the Christian be baptized for the same reason?

'The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him,
and saith,
"Behold the Lamb of God,
which taketh away the sin of the world.
This is He of whom I said,
'After me cometh a man which is preferred before me:
for He was before me.
And I knew Him not:
but that He should be made manifest to Israel,

therefore am I come baptizing with water.
And John bare record, saying,
"I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove,
and it abode upon Him.
And I knew Him not:
but He that sent me to baptize with water,

the same said unto me,
Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending,
and remaining on Him,
the same is He which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

And I saw,
and bare record that this is the Son of God.'

(Joh 1:29-34)

In Christ Jesus
Chris

'The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him,
and saith,
"Behold the Lamb of God,
which taketh away the sin of the world.
This is He of whom I said,
'After me cometh a man which is preferred before me:
for He was before me.
And I knew Him not:
but that He should be made manifest to Israel,

therefore am I come baptizing with water.
And John bare record, saying,
"I saw the Spirit descending from heaven like a dove,
and it abode upon Him.
And I knew Him not:
but He that sent me to baptize with water,

the same said unto me,
Upon whom thou shalt see the Spirit descending,
and remaining on Him,
the same is He which baptizeth with the Holy Ghost.

And I saw,
and bare record that this is the Son of God.'

(Joh 1:29-34)

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Yes, so Jesus was baptized to make Him known to Israel, or the public in that area, and also so John would be a witness and testify to who Jesus is and, therefore, why He came and what His purpose was.
So by this I can conclude that water baptism for Christians can be for the same reasons. To make known to the public or church who we are, child of God, and testify to others of our joining the body, beginning our ministry and confirming God as our father.

Jesus' baptism brought on His anointing and launch into ministry. I believe that this kind of anointing takes place when a Christian submits to water baptism as well.

Some of us are past the milk and onto the meat. You've just made a very serious error in judgment. Please, for your own sake, do not set yourself up as a teacher of the word here. We are a Christian forum, and we enjoy sharing our faith and the truth of the word of God with each other. As a new member here, you would do well to exchange views on various subjects with camaraderie in mind, and not viewing us as your students. We are not.

AMEN sister!

Back