24 elders

I would like to do a study on the 24 elders mentioned in Revelation.

I'm not sure exactly who is being referred to so I thought would ask here.

I always thought it maybe was the 12 apostles and also it represents the tribes of the 12 patriarchs from the Old Testament.
I'm pretty sure 12 of them are Jesus chosen disciples. But not sure the other twelve. Their wives?

I have searched on some other websites asking this question, others think it's angels, (maybe because of halos?) or actually the 24 Kings of Israel before Jesus, since they are casting their crowns.
Still others say it's the church - but which 24?
As I understand there were the firstfruits and some were resurrected at the time of Jesus resurrection so there are at least 24 people (humans) in heaven. But I could be wrong or misinterpreting this.

I will give scriptures later when can find all the verses. But remember I am learning too and don't have any fixed position on this. I am curious to know who these elders are. Could they be the prophets? How many prophets were there?

In my opinion(stress the word opinion), I think they are the 12 apostles that were with Jesus and the 12 patriarchs of the 12 tribes of Israel. The 12 apostles representing the church and the 12 patriarchs representing Israel the covenant people of God. I haven't done research on this so that is my initial opinion.

Last edited:
Yes thats what I thought too..
Although just searching around some claim it is the 24 appointed to high priesthood (levites) and in charge of the temple in David's time. I'm thinking maybe not the exact same people but the office is the same. I'm supposing they do need to represent each tribe, but how come 24 not just 12? I thought Jesus 12 were meant to represent the 12 from the patriarchs, nothing really said about the original patriarchs themselves, just their names given to their tribe.

what about those taken up to heaven bodily like Enoch and Elijah, and also Moses?
Remember John and Peter saw them with Jesus at the transfiguration.

As I understand there were the firstfruits and some were resurrected at the time of Jesus resurrection so there are at least 24 people (humans) in heaven. But I could be wrong or misinterpreting this.

Just know that there are millions of saints in heaven right now, with maybe thousands added every day.

2 Corinthians 5:8
Yes, we are fully confident, and we would rather be away from these earthly bodies, for then we will be at home with the Lord.

Philippians 1:23
I’m torn between two desires: I long to go and be with Christ, which would be far better for me.

Just so you know, with regard to your further quest concerning the 24 elders.

It says 24 elders...not millions..the multitude are those UNDER the altar. John could see it in his vision because it was made of glass.

It says 24 elders...not millions..the multitude are those UNDER the altar. John could see it in his vision because it was made of glass.

You said there must be at least 24 people in heaven. There are millions there. As for John's vision of souls under the altar, they would be innumerable.

Im talking about the 24 elders, not the multitudes that will be.

I want to find out who they are and what makes them special. Im thinking maybe its the prophets. If you count the books, there seem to be around 24.

Another theory says its the elders in the lineage of Jesus, although, there seem to be more than 24. The geneology is in luke and matthew.

It would be nice to have names.

The 24 are worshipping God on his throne, and I know jesus sits at his right hand..I dont know for sure that the 12 apostles are the ones before him that jesus said they will sit, in his kingdom, it does say 12 angels will be at the 12 gates of heaven. Because...john himself was an apostle and he is not one of the 24 obviously!!!

There seem to be two...one vision before gates of heaven are opened in the throne room before the wedding supper, and the other after it when everyone is invited. And then theres 12 thrones for the 12 tribes of israel.

Wedding supper hasnt happened yet, so, dont understand why ppl think the multitude of saints already in heaven. As this vision is future.

But I suppose some ppl want to interpret how they want cos it comforts them.

God and Heaven are outside the space-time continuum and from all that I have read - time is way different there. Scripture tells us, as @Euphemia posted, that believers, at the time of their physical death, go to Christ - who is in Heaven....so...

My knee jerk instincts have always seen the 24 elders as 12/12 of OT chosen people/Jews and the gentile Church. The Apostles are part of the Church. The Jews/Hebrews did not start until the time of Jacob. The term "elders" can mean those who are eldest and wise in the ways of God. I'm not sure that they can be identified at this point. But I'm still learning too.
**Edit..And that the elders are also wise in the ways of men. And I would guess they are all male.

Last edited:
Im talking about the 24 elders, not the multitudes that will be.

Yes, then don't speculate that there will be at least 24 people in heaven now, when you know there are millions there now.

The 24 elders represent the completed Church of Jesus Christ in heaven.

Wedding supper hasnt happened yet, so, dont understand why ppl think the multitude of saints already in heaven. As this vision is future.

But I suppose some ppl want to interpret how they want cos it comforts them.

The Wedding Supper of the Lamb takes place after everyone is gathered together at the resurrection (Rapture) and receive their new glorified bodies, and become married to the Bridegroom who has come to get them. In the meantime the spirits of the righteous dead are with Jesus, waiting for Him to receive the order from the throne to "Go get your Bride, Son!" That is from the word of God...and that is how Holy Spirit interprets it to those who really DO want to know the truth.

Listen up:

In the ancient Jewish wedding tradition, when the bridegroom's father deemed the wedding chamber ready, the father would tell the bridegroom that all was ready and to get His bride. The bridegroom would abduct his bride secretly, like a thief at night and take her to the wedding chamber. As the bridegroom approached the bride's home, he would shout and blow the shofar (ram's horn trumpet) so that she had some warning to gather her belongings to take into the wedding chamber. The bridegroom and his friends would come into the bride's house and get the bride and her bridesmaids.

Jesus' Fulfillment:

Just as the bridegroom would come for the bride in the middle of the night, with a shout and the sound of a shofar, so the Lord will come for us. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words. Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

http://www.bridalcovenant.com/wedding1.html

The Wedding Supper of the Lamb takes place after everyone is gathered together at the resurrection (Rapture) and receive their new glorified bodies, and become married to the Bridegroom who has come to get them. In the meantime the spirits of the righteous dead are with Jesus, waiting for Him to receive the order from the throne to "Go get your Bride, Son!" That is from the word of God...and that is how Holy Spirit interprets it to those who really DO want to know the truth.

Listen up:

In the ancient Jewish wedding tradition, when the bridegroom's father deemed the wedding chamber ready, the father would tell the bridegroom that all was ready and to get His bride. The bridegroom would abduct his bride secretly, like a thief at night and take her to the wedding chamber. As the bridegroom approached the bride's home, he would shout and blow the shofar (ram's horn trumpet) so that she had some warning to gather her belongings to take into the wedding chamber. The bridegroom and his friends would come into the bride's house and get the bride and her bridesmaids.

Jesus' Fulfillment:

Just as the bridegroom would come for the bride in the middle of the night, with a shout and the sound of a shofar, so the Lord will come for us. For the Lord himself will come down from heaven, with a loud command, with the voice of the archangel and with the trumpet call of God, and the dead in Christ will rise first. After that, we who are still alive and are left will be caught up together with them in the clouds to meet the Lord in the air. And so we will be with the Lord forever. Therefore encourage each other with these words. Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. 1 Thessalonians 4:16-17

http://www.bridalcovenant.com/wedding1.html
When I first read about the ancient Jewish wedding tradition it really helped me understand some things in the bible. Knowing ancient Jewish customs and traditions really does help get another layer of understanding in scripture.

If I had to pick 24 elders from the bible.

1. Abraham
2. Isaac
3. Jacob (Israel)
4. Moses
5. Elijah
6. Elisha
7. Enoch
8. David
9. Solomon
10. Job
11. Esther
12. Ruth
13. Gideon
14. Samuel
15. Hosea
16. Jeremiah
17. Isaiah
18. Ezekiel
19.Micah
20. John the Baptist
21. Daniel
22. Nehemiah
23. Ezra
24. Joel

I may have missed some out...but there can only be 24, so those are my pick and who seem like elders to me.

Back