A Biblical rebuke to the prosperity gospel movement

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know only of one person and he is on TV, who consistently focuses only on financial gain and that does bother me, and I turn the station whenever he is on.

When you share with others out of what you have, whether little or a lot, God will replenish and more.
Who is that?

Hi everyone. So, we're talking about prosperity, eh?

I don't understand... is it really wrong to preach about it? Is it wrong to want wealth as long as you love God?

Nothing is wrong about teaching Biblical Prosperity for it is NOT all about wealth. Cut a pie into slices and each slice is a piece of biblical prosperity and wealth is only but one little slice.
Now those who have no understanding in biblical properity MAKE IT ALL ABOUT MONEY. There hearts and minds are waxed closed and become way side to Gods word in this.

Now about Money or wealth - it in it's self is not a bad thing or against any scripture or ways of God HOWEVER what is against is THE LOVE OF or another words it is your main goal or all you care about and nothing including Gods ways will come between you and money. That is the sin.

However people just enjoy speaking out about what they donot know about or yet understand.
God Bless
Jim

Who is that?[/QUOTE
According to man, but He was never poor. He lived in faith to go about working the work of His Father and lived by it. He never lacked! That's riches!
Abdicate I want to add this to what you said.........
Another thing if Jesus was poor as in finances - why in the name of God did He need a treasurer ? To keep track of the bills ? Come on - Poor in spirit - does this mean He lacked ? Learn the meanings of words before you make assuptions please.

You mean like my church. Yesterday, they had a makeshift graduation ceremony for those who recently graduated. The music resembles R&B (which sounds absolutely terrible, secular or "Christian"), and the music focuses on the believer, not God. So does the message. I need to get out of there as soon as possible, but my mom goes there and I am forced to go with her because I don't understand the language of the Haitian church my dad goes to.

As I have said to you before my little brother........you are wise beyond your age!

You seem to be discerning exactly what you need to and in time when you are of age you will be able to do as you want. However you must obey your parents as that is the will of God. You should by all means talk lovingly to them about your concerns and allow the Spirit of God to be the one to convict them and grow them in knowledge.

Reactions: Juk
If his primary goal is in increase in finances, is he truly a Christian? Well, that is something that only God can judge.

Yes, he is a strong believer. You cannot judge people as unbelievers based on one error. Most Christians have some sort of erroneous belief at one time in their lives. God doesn't kick people out of His family for it!

Judgment needs information, knowledge… including what is in the hearts of men… who knows the what is in the hearts of men… Human court have this limitations, thus, it has no choice but to stick to the text of the law....

Do we have idea how to be poor? Of lacking where to get the next meal? I have no idea…thank God!

We can judge a teaching a doctrine though, imo…

BUT
Our Teacher, who knows the heart of men, observe how he handles: He continue to preach the gospel…

John 6:26-27New King James Version (NKJV)

26 Jesus answered them and said, “Most assuredly, I say to you, you seek Me, not because you saw the signs, but because you ate of the loaves and were filled. 27 Do not labor for the food which perishes, but for the food which endures to everlasting life, which the Son of Man will give you, because God the Father has set His seal on Him.”

Jeremiah 17:9 says........
“The heart is deceitful above all things and beyond cure. Who can understand it?”

In other words, the Fall has affected EVERY human being at the deepest level; our mind, emotions and desires have been tainted by sin—and we are blind to just how pervasive the problem is.

I have been to many churches Juk. Some churches are good only to be saved in and visit occasionally, not grow. But I don't need to tell you this. A baby will crave real milk and cry their lungs out until they get it!!!

Amen!

A baby will cry for milk until he gets teeth. Then he wants something to chew on.

This is why God loves EVERYONE because their Spirit is a part of God Himself. When they go to hell, He gets back His spirit but God is in everything everywhere. The Hopi indians believed that without even seeing Col 1:17!

I would just like to add, there is prosperity, and then there is prosperity, same with judging.
We can learn a lot from the Word of YHVH God about prosperity, and should cling to that, but I can also say, I have heard statements being made by some leading TV preachers on prosperity that just gives me the spinal hibby-jeebies. Things you know are not from the Word of God and a deceitful teaching.
So, before anyone mount their horses and grab their lances, there are two sides to this coin, as much like every other coin out there, if you get what I mean.

I love you my brother but I have to disagree. IMO the prosperity teaching coming out of the Word of Faith element is not Biblical in any way. It is what Paul called "another" gospel.

Reactions: Juk
Yes, he is a strong believer. You cannot judge people as unbelievers based on one error. Most Christians have some sort of erroneous belief at one time in their lives. God doesn't kick people out of His family for it!
That's why I said that only God can judge.

No one will be able to say that they do not know what the ole Major believes about Juk's question. He has made it clear over much time his stance on this. We have kicked this around and around and around but in responce to Jims question of ....................
"where in Gods word to us in how we are to conduct our selves does it say go and judge others and spread it around" i found the following to be helpful".........I feel that we must be crystal clear on this thing about JUDGING.

Many Christians misinterpret what the Bible says about judging and say that we should never judge or question when some does make a judgement.

John 7:24..........
Jesus said, "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

In this verse Jesus is talking about making righteous judgments in regard to God's laws. We must make judgments in matters of biblical doctrine and righteous living. The Bible is our foundation and if we don't discern and follow what God says then it will become just another book.

1 Cor. 5:11-13 ...........
" you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. 'Expel the wicked man from among you'.

James 5:19-20. .........
"My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins."

It's not possible to follow these instructions, and save this man from death, without first judging his actions. As hard as it may be to do, it is an act of love to confront a sinning brother or sister and it is uncaring not to try to help them.

In Ezekiel 33:1-9, God warns the Watchman that if he fails to sound a warning, then he will be held accountable. All Christians are Watchmen so let us lovingly encourage brothers and sisters who have gone off the path of righteousness. Also, if we don't keep God's standards of holiness, sin will soon work it's way through the people and the church will become just another unholy social club.

Even though people will tell us that we should not judge, the Bible makes it clear that we should.

Just so that we are all on the same page.

Many Christians misinterpret what the Bible says about judging and say that we should never judge or question when some does make a judgement.

John 7:24..........
Jesus said, "Stop judging by mere appearances, and make a right judgment."

In this verse Jesus is talking about making righteous judgments in regard to God's laws. We must make judgments in matters of biblical doctrine and righteous living. The Bible is our foundation and if we don't discern and follow what God says then it will become just another book.
Yes make righteious judgment - smart judgement according to His word - now where does this say - judge and spread it around - judge and speak your judgment to all ?

1 Cor 5:11-13 ...........
" you must not associate with anyone who calls himself a brother but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or a slanderer, a drunkard or a swindler. With such a man do not even eat. What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside? God will judge those outside. 'Expel the wicked man from among you'.

Exactly dont hang around a BROTHER in Christ who is this way. Again this does not give any one permission to go around running their mouth even via a keyboard and bad mouth those who belong to God. Judge these things as unto your life and walk.

James 5:19-20. .........
"My brothers, if one of you should wander from the truth and someone should bring him back, remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins."

It's not possible to follow these instructions, and save this man from death,without first judging his actions. As hard as it may be to do, it is an act of love to confront a sinning brother or sister and it is uncaring not to try to help them.

Again this judging here is not running your mouth and telling every one like you are the Godly Paul Revere - this just makes you a gossip and a nuisance and busy body.

In Ezekiel 33:1-9, God warns the Watchman that if he fails to sound a warning, then he will be held accountable. All Christians are Watchmen so let us lovingly encourage brothers and sisters who have gone off the path of righteousness. Also, if we don't keep God's standards of holiness, sin will soon work it's way through the people and the church will become just another unholy social club.
LOL Thats a pretty big strectch there using that point.

Even though people will tell us that we should not judge, the Bible makes itclear that we should.
There are ways to judge - running around spouting off accusations is not the Godly judging talked about in scripture but it is what undissciplined Christians do as they try to make the word back them and all in all they are just a noisy sound poluting the ears of God with this self made righteous judging of nothing but gossip and a busy body spewing out poison.

Just so that we are all on the same page.
Yep just so we are on the same page. Major in reality - there has got to be spiritual laws that govern how we judge other wise we are nothing more then a gossiper in the name of Christ.

This is what I have been saying - the bible is very clear on judging others especially those of the faith. People take this way too far and expect it to be ok because they have scripture taken out of context to back them.

Any way Major Thanks for answering me and as always NO disrespect or sarcastic words or tones. Just explaining what I mean.
Have a wonderful day
God Bless
Jim

Where does the Bible say that Jesus had a treasurer? And if Jesus was not financially poor, how was He poor. He certainly wasn't poor in spirit.

The bible tells us that Judas was the treasurer of the "band". The group would give money to the poor from their treasury. Not only that, but the upper room where they would meet was a room that was well-appointed for a larger gathering and cost money to procure...like our hotel banquet rooms of today.

John 13:29
Since Judas was their treasurer, some thought Jesus was telling him to go and pay for the food or to give some money to the poor.

Jesus was well acquainted with immense wealth, coming from heaven, but he also had all His needs met and more while in ministry, but it was on the cross that He literally divested all He had for our sake.

2 Corinthians 8:9
You know about the kindness of our Lord Jesus Christ. He was rich, yet for your sake he became poor in order to make you rich through his poverty.

As I have said to you before my little brother........you are wise beyond your age!

You seem to be discerning exactly what you need to and in time when you are of age you will be able to do as you want. However you must obey your parents as that is the will of God. You should by all means talk lovingly to them about your concerns and allow the Spirit of God to be the one to convict them and grow them in knowledge.
Yeah, that's something that I need to work on. I get angry easily and sometimes I disobey my parents. Thank you for the compliments.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back