Alcohol, Alcoholism, and Temperance.

Okay I'll start - one for fun.
I will challenge anyone to sit at a table with me, we will put any alcoholic drink/s in the middle of the table. Then we sit and see what evil it does there in the middle of the table.
More likely, we will die of old age.

Okay I'll start - one for fun.
I will challenge anyone to sit at a table with me, we will put any alcoholic drink/s in the middle of the table. Then we sit and see what evil it does there in the middle of the table.
More likely, we will die of old age.

If I may, for argument's sake, are you saying that if something doesn't hurt you, then it's OK?

No. I'm saying there is not evil in the glass/es of alcohol standing in the centre of the table.
The evil comes in mishandling of the alcohol. Same with guns, tools, cars, motorcycles, money, children, computers, internet, work tasks, employees, etc, etc.
And that evil comes from the person doing so. Anything can be used for evil, it depends on the person, not the "anything".

No. I'm saying there is not evil in the glass/es of alcohol standing in the centre of the table.
The evil comes in mishandling of the alcohol. Same with guns, tools, cars, motorcycles, money, children, computers, internet, work tasks, employees, etc, etc.
And that evil comes from the person doing so. Anything can be used for evil, it depends on the person, not the "anything".

I agree.

In the time of Jesus, there was no possible way to keep grape juice for any length of time because it will either go off, or naturally ferment into wine.
The passover feast occurred 6-7 months after the grape harvest, so it would have been impossible to not have alcoholic wine for the passover and similarly for most other celebrations during the larger part of any year.

I know for me personally, I can sit down, have a beer and stop myself at one.

Now do I do it? Nope, most beer tastes pretty bad to me and I never know who may justify their alcoholic behaviors because they saw me drinking a beverage.

There is nothing wrong with it so long as that you do not lead others into temptation, or become drunk/addicted.

Now do I do it? Nope, most beer tastes pretty bad to me,

I'm with you on that, do not fancy the bitter stuff.
Now and then I am with someone who is a fan of the barley drink and is shoved a beer in the hand, my attitude drops as I know I now have to labour through this unsavoury drink or risk offending the presenter of this most valued gift.
I always drink it with funny looking smile in between sips. My wife tends to laugh at me as she knows the truth.

Now do I do it? Nope, most beer tastes pretty bad to me,

I absolutely love British bitter beers. Never the imported stuff, and not the mass market rubbish, but the "real ales" made by the craft brewers.. The flavours are so amazingly varied and deep.
I brew my own beer quite regularly, from a kit at the moment, but I hope to try making the real stuff sometime soon.
I never get drunk and rarely have more than a pint or maybe two. Mostly I drink a small glass of my home brew with a meal in the evening.
Beer is far better for you as it has a fraction of the sugar content than non alcoholic pop drinks or orange juices.

Alcohol to me is just medicine... it doesn't taste good to me at all... breads and sweets are my vice :(
I do enjoy the sweeter variety of wine with a lunch or dinner, but I know what you mean about the sweets. A good dark chocolate struggles to survive running past my lips.

I absolutely love British beers. Never the imported stuff, and not the mass market rubbish, but the "real ales" made by the craft brewers.. The flavours are so amazingly varied and deep.
I brew my own beer quite regularly, from a kit at the moment, but I hope to try making the real stuff sometime soon.
I never get drunk and rarely have more than a pint or maybe two. Mostly I drink a small glass of my home brew with a meal in the evening.
Beer is far better for you as it has a fraction of the sugar content than non alcoholic pop drinks or orange juices.

I agree, I know a guy who owns a brewery, he is on fire for the lord, just happens to like to make beer. He makes some good beer though, I'd have to be careful if I could make what he makes :ROFLMAO:

I wonttake part cos you guys are drinking and excluding me from conversation. It is interesting that you just talk stuff but dont offer me any non alcoholic option, so Im just gonna pass out.

Also, it smells.

In defense of those who subscribe to the idea that alcohol is a sin itself, many times it stems from a relative or themselves having once been affected by alcoholism. Over-eating is a sin because it dismisses temperance. The repercussions of over-eating can also lead to being slothful and idle.

For many people, drinking alcohol can many times mean over-drinking, just like eating, so temperance is also dismissed there too--even if drunkenness never happens. Although, when it does happen, you don't just have slothfulness as a repercussion, you also have impaired judgment which can lead to even more sins.

Of course, I wouldn't argue that drinking alcohol is a sin. Personally, I don't care much for it and don't drink it (I'm very childish when I order drinks, I will order Shirley Temples). However, like anything, it can be abused. Sex is a wonderful thing that is very often abused, even within marriages. Eating, which is a necessary activity for everyone, can be abused. Drinking alcohol is often looked at as a sin because abusing it, like sex, isn't difficult if one wanted to. Of course that doesn't mean that it is a sin when it is not being abused and treated with responsibility.

I wonttake part cos you guys are drinking and excluding me from conversation. It is interesting that you just talk stuff but dont offer me any non alcoholic option, so Im just gonna pass out.

Also, it smells.

Lanolin, I made this thread also so that you could post your perspective. I made this with you in mind. And even if we disagree, you certainly are welcome to share your perspective as why alcohol is wrong, and not only that, but we are obligated (and more than happy) to treat you with the utmost respect.

Also, if it puts you at ease, I also don't drink alcohol. I prefer soft drinks and water.

Last edited:
If you want to see the power of God at work, read the story of Arthur Guinness the brewer, famous for that wonderful deep black drink with a big white head on top.

In mid 1700 in Ireland, there was a phenomena called “The Gin Craze.” An overwhelming large number of people were drinking whiskey and gin as their primary beverage. Water was deemed unsafe due to the micro-organisms and mysterious diseases found in water unbeknownst to everyone. The parliament forbade the importation of liquor in 1689, so the Irish and British began making their own. This led to excessive drunkenness resulting in a poverty-ridden, crime-infested time. Statistics show that every sixth house in English was a gin house.

Arthur Guinness was infuriated with this drunkenness. He constantly prayed to God to do something with the alcoholism on the streets of Ireland. In fact, he felt God calling him to “Make a drink that men will drink that will be good for them.” He then developed a dark stout beer called Guinness. Guinness contained so much iron that people felt full before they can drink more pints. The alcohol level was considerably lower than gin or whiskey.

Back