And now, a Big Question...

IF we have a pre-conceived notion about something then we will use Scripture to enforce that thought.

I am one who believes that Job used "poetic language" to describe something that he could not explain.

We see that same kind of language in the Revelation and some call that …….."Proleptic" or better said, Picture Language.

If there were fire breathing dragons I am sure that God would have let us in on it somewhere in the Bible.

For mw, and oonly me, Job 40 & 41 is a real stretch.
I agree. Just trying to get your attention :)

The Bible is a masterpiece that, in my opinion, uses many styles of "story telling."

How about:

Its breath sets coals ablaze, and flames dart from its mouth (Job 41:21)

Smoke rose from his nostrils, consuming fire came from his mouth, burning coals ablaze out of it (Psalm 18:8)

rtm3039
Yep thats a good one. I'm sure theres more.

Unless all the animals in the Bible are metaphorical symbolic animals...we could post them all Major and you still wont believe. Which is a bit sad but lets post them anyway.

Ok go to this page its got 100 verses.
You can put to any bible version, its using ESV here, but yep theres dragons

Morning Lanolin,

As I read some of these verses, I see a common theme. From my untrained eyes, I see that “dragon” is being used as a metaphor for Satan, evil, etc. After all, Jesus often spoke in parables to illustrate his messages, so I see the use of “dragon” in the same light. Granted, the verses you offer does use “dragon” 35 times, but also uses devil/Satan/evil/serpent 31 times.

“He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.” (Revelations 20:2 (NIV))

At the end of the day, I have no idea how to reconcile the omission of dinosaurs or Neanderthals from scripture. Maybe we are not supposed to? I also can not explain why there are celestial bodies we cannot see, much less ever reach. I am sure of some things, like there is no way all of this happened by accident. The Bible is just too detailed to be made up and God gives us meaning and purpose. Maybe all of this is what Faith is all about?

rtm3039

Yep thats a good one. I'm sure theres more.

Unless all the animals in the Bible are metaphorical symbolic animals...we could post them all Major and you still wont believe. Which is a bit sad but lets post them anyway.

Lanolin.....do you really think that questioning my faith or Bible knowledge is the way to have a conversation?????

Have you considered that these hyperbolical expressions in Job are used concerning the leviathan to intimate the terror of the wrath of God, for that is it which all this is designed to convince us of.

Fire out of his mouth devours, Ps. 18: 7, 8.
The breath of the Almighty, like a stream of brimstone, kindles Tophet, and will for ever keep it burning, Isa. 30: 33.
The wicked one shall be consumed with the breath of his mouth, 2 Thess. ii. 8.:5

Morning Lanolin,

As I read some of these verses, I see a common theme. From my untrained eyes, I see that “dragon” is being used as a metaphor for Satan, evil, etc. After all, Jesus often spoke in parables to illustrate his messages, so I see the use of “dragon” in the same light. Granted, the verses you offer does use “dragon” 35 times, but also uses devil/Satan/evil/serpent 31 times.

“He seized the dragon, that ancient serpent, who is the devil, or Satan, and bound him for a thousand years.” (Revelations 20:2 (NIV))

At the end of the day, I have no idea how to reconcile the omission of dinosaurs or Neanderthals from scripture. Maybe we are not supposed to? I also can not explain why there are celestial bodies we cannot see, much less ever reach. I am sure of some things, like there is no way all of this happened by accident. The Bible is just too detailed to be made up and God gives us meaning and purpose. Maybe all of this is what Faith is all about?

rtm3039
Its because the word for dinosaurs is a modern usage of the word dragon. Quite simple really.

Sorry you cant reconcile. I'm fine with it.

STAFF CAUTION: There have been some posts in this thread, and two other threads, that are getting personal and may be a technical violation of Rules 3.1 (demeaning), 2.1 (common courtesy) and 2.2 a & b (courtesy related).

We caution participants to play nice with each other. As we have stated MANY times in this forum since 2006, there are differences of opinion based upon individual beliefs and world regional differences in cultural word usage from various Bible versions. If you disagree with someone, please honor their beliefs and follow Rule 2.1. Guests and search engines view these conflicts and that can have a negative impact on the "Friendly" status and ratings of CFS on the net. We do not wish to start issuing Warning Points and suspending memberships here, but if any of this continues, there will be consequences. Thank you for your cooperation.

STAFF CAUTION: There have been some posts in this thread, and two other threads, that are getting personal and may be a technical violation of Rules 3.1 (demeaning), 2.1 (common courtesy) and 2.2 a & b (courtesy related).

We caution participants to play nice with each other. As we have stated MANY times in this forum since 2006, there are differences of opinion based upon individual beliefs and world regional differences in cultural word usage from various Bible versions. If you disagree with someone, please honor their beliefs and follow Rule 2.1. Guests and search engines view these conflicts and that can have a negative impact on the "Friendly" status and ratings of CFS on the net. We do not wish to start issuing Warning Points and suspending memberships here, but if any of this continues, there will be consequences. Thank you for your cooperation.

Yes, it is very sad that a courteous discussion about controversial issues cannot be conducted.

I expect that a thread that I started and in which I participated was at least one of the "two other threads".

In that thread, I started by asking the community why it was improper to use the evidences from Gods creation to understand Gods Word. My brothers there presented their views that the Bible is its own best commentary and whatever we have learned about God's universe should not be used to understand scripture. Again I thank my brothers for that, even if they did not get at my question of why to exclude the witness of God's creation.

Then the discussion 'evolved' into a discussion of my viewpoint.
While I found much of the discussion respectful on all sides, even when we disagreed (and I believe I took pains to be respectful of others), there was another participant that insisted on drawing poorly founded conclusions about what I believed or failed to believe. I found that generally insulting. I'll get over it.

The point of this is that we, as Christians need to show our brothers Christian Love, as my current Signature quotes John 13:34-35, which is an exhortation to show our brothers in Christ a special measure of Love (above and beyond the general exhortation to love our neighbors).

Yes, it is very sad that a courteous discussion about controversial issues cannot be conducted.

I expect that a thread that I started and in which I participated was at least one of the "two other threads".

In that thread, I started by asking the community why it was improper to use the evidences from Gods creation to understand Gods Word. My brothers there presented their views that the Bible is its own best commentary and whatever we have learned about God's universe should not be used to understand scripture. Again I thank my brothers for that, even if they did not get at my question of why to exclude the witness of God's creation.

Then the discussion 'evolved' into a discussion of my viewpoint.
While I found much of the discussion respectful on all sides, even when we disagreed (and I believe I took pains to be respectful of others), there was another participant that insisted on drawing poorly founded conclusions about what I believed or failed to believe. I found that generally insulting. I'll get over it.

The point of this is that we, as Christians need to show our brothers Christian Love, as my current Signature quotes John 13:34-35, which is an exhortation to show our brothers in Christ a special measure of Love (above and beyond the general exhortation to love our neighbors).

Siloam, I did not view your particular post, but it is obvious that mine was the second of two. My pastor often makes the comment: "It is what it is, but it isn't what is seems." I bring this up, because there are occasions where the language to a particular post might appear inappropriate, but that was not the intent. This is the problem with written communication, as it often times lacks personality. I use to compose messages (e-mails) that were a bit on the sarcastic side. If I made the comment in person, this would have been obvious and most people would have found it funny. This is not always the case with written communications.

Having said all that, an exchange of ideas is worthless, if people have to be prepared to be ambushed. All opinions have value, even the one's you don't agree with.

rtm3039

I'm not quite sure where you got this information. Care to share your source?
This is interesting:

The word dinosaur literally means "terrible, powerful, wondrous lizards." The word became popular after biologist and paleontologist, Sir Richard Owen coined the term "Dinosauria" in 1841. The word dinosaur derives from two greek words (deinos) "terrible, powerful, wondrous" + (sauros) "lizard".

Reference:

https://www.forbidden-history.com/dinosaurfacts-owen.html

Morning Lanolin,

rtm3039

Agreed.

Many times, prophets wrote in a way which they tried to explain the vision they saw or the words God gave to them when in actuality they did not know what they were writing. They were being obedient to God in the best language that they had at the time.

In Revelation, John uses phrases that he has no idea what they are. He was transported 2000 years into the future while on Patmos and shown the end of the age. He was then told to write down what he saw. The problem is that his understanding and knowledge was rooted in the 1st century and not the 21st century.

Again, your concern is going to rest upon whether you conform to the Young Earth or Old Earth theology. Remember, Old Earth theology DOES NOT have anything to do with evolution at all.

Siloam, I did not view your particular post, but it is obvious that mine was the second of two. My pastor often makes the comment: "It is what it is, but it isn't what is seems." I bring this up, because there are occasions where the language to a particular post might appear inappropriate, but that was not the intent. This is the problem with written communication, as it often times lacks personality. I use to compose messages (e-mails) that were a bit on the sarcastic side. If I made the comment in person, this would have been obvious and most people would have found it funny. This is not always the case with written communications.

Having said all that, an exchange of ideas is worthless, if people have to be prepared to be ambushed. All opinions have value, even the one's you don't agree with.

rtm3039

Well said!

Its because the word for dinosaurs is a modern usage of the word dragon. Quite simple really.

Sorry you cant reconcile. I'm fine with it.

Just so that we will all know...…...
There aren't *any* paleontologists who believe that the dragon legend was invented by ancient human beings who glimpsed a living, breathing dinosaur and passed the story down through countless generations.

Last edited:

Not that you need my approval in any way, but I actually agree with you 100%!!!!

This is interesting:

The word dinosaur literally means "terrible, powerful, wondrous lizards." The word became popular after biologist and paleontologist, Sir Richard Owen coined the term "Dinosauria" in 1841. The word dinosaur derives from two greek words (deinos) "terrible, powerful, wondrous" + (sauros) "lizard".

Reference:

https://www.forbidden-history.com/dinosaurfacts-owen.html
I do understand where the word "dinosaur" came from. I just don't understand how Lanolin thinks that "dragon" is an old word for dinosaur, and I'd like to see some sources that suggest that it is. Otherwise, it's only her personal unsupported supposition, and not historical fact or theory.

In fact, our word "dragon" comes from the Greek "drákōn", meaning serpent or water-snake. So this actually falls in line with the imagery used in the bible. The bible is not talking about the four-legged, scaled, sharp-toothed creature of science fiction or fantasy. And it is not talking about the extinct dinosaurs. As far as I know, dinosaurs have never been referred to as serpents/snakes (drákōn).

Agreed.

Many times, prophets wrote in a way which they tried to explain the vision they saw or the words God gave to them when in actuality they did not know what they were writing. They were being obedient to God in the best language that they had at the time.

In Revelation, John uses phrases that he has no idea what they are. He was transported 2000 years into the future while on Patmos and shown the end of the age. He was then told to write down what he saw. The problem is that his understanding and knowledge was rooted in the 1st century and not the 21st century.

Again, your concern is going to rest upon whether you conform to the Young Earth or Old Earth theology. Remember, Old Earth theology DOES NOT have anything to do with evolution at all.
Yes, but ....

“Above all, you must understand that no prophecy of Scripture came about by the prophet’s own interpretation of things.” (2 Peter 1:20 (NIV)) “All Scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness,” (2 Timothy 3:16 (NIV)).

Back