Are Tatoos in the Right Context of Scripture Acceptable?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

Years ago when we studied Leviticus about the Lord forbidding tattoos on our bodies really hit hard with me.

In Leviticus 19 God gives a serious list of statutes from verses 19-35. In verse 28 thus saith the Lord, 28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

Anytime the Lord ends with "I am the Lord" makes me shudder. But through the years I have run into more people with tattoos and in the church there are brothers, sisters and Pastors with tats on them.

I never had an interest in having a tat put on me. I thought about an earring for my left ear but when I went to the mall and watched a 7 year old girl get her ear pierced with a gun, I got the heebee jeebees and wimped out.

To date my body doesn't have any markings or piercings and that's my choice.

No judgment here on my part. So, whether one has cuts, markings (tattoos) for pagan reasons, trends or personal, how do you reconcile this with Leviticus 19? If you do have a tat have you thought about removing later?

God bless everyone and your families.

Wasn’t the reason the Israelites was not allowed to get tats was because it was a way to keep them from being reminded of the past slavery?

They were tattooed whilst in slavery to Egypt and if I recall correctly.

But I don’t see how a tattoo today would cause us to slip from Faith.

I don’t have any but I am also a wimp when it comes to needles

Years ago when we studied Leviticus about the Lord forbidding tattoos on our bodies really hit hard with me.

In Leviticus 19 God gives a serious list of statutes from verses 19-35. In verse 28 thus saith the Lord, 28 You shall not make any cuts on your body for the dead or tattoo yourselves: I am the Lord.

Anytime the Lord ends with "I am the Lord" makes me shudder. But through the years I have run into more people with tattoos and in the church there are brothers, sisters and Pastors with tats on them.

I never had an interest in having a tat put on me. I thought about an earring for my left ear but when I went to the mall and watched a 7 year old girl get her ear pierced with a gun, I got the heebee jeebees and wimped out.

No judgment here on my part. So, whether one has cuts, markings (tattoos) for pagan reasons, trends or personal, how do you reconcile this with Leviticus 19? If you do have a tat have you thought about removing later?

What is the "right context of scripture"? That needs to be defined before the question can be properly addressed.

26 Ye shall not eat any thing with the blood: neither shall ye use enchantment, nor observe times. 27 Ye shall not round the corners of your heads, neither shalt thou mar the corners of thy beard. 28 Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.

LOL I think it was/is the meaning behind it that God forbade, not cuts in general. All meat has blood. So no eating meat. 😁 I don't have tattoo just because I don't care for them, but I did have my ears pierced as a child. But I only have one set of holes.
But can every verse like that be taken literally now today? What about women wearing pants? 🙂

Last edited:
So, whether one has cuts, markings (tattoos) for pagan reasons, trends or personal, how do you reconcile this with Leviticus 19?
Dear bobinfaith,
I also am not inked, but in my case this may be generational as much as anything. Most of my younger coworkers were conspicuously pierced, plugged or artfully decorated. Sometimes all of these.

This is old covenant law. There are different views on wether there is a Christian obligation in keeping dual covenant observance of both NT law and the OT moral laws as required, and the ceremonial laws of the OT.

So, is this a moral, legal or ceremonial law?

If ceremonial, then don’t most Christians follow Pauline teachings in matters of ceremonial law?

Such as:

2 Corinthians 3:6 KJV

6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

All this aside, perhaps it also depends on the tattoos themselves. I’ve seen some pagan and satanic tattoos that I imagine would be particularly difficult to explain before the Lord.

Leviticus 19:27
You shall not shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard.

the old time men use to get hair cuts . what i called white walls around the ears.. while i am not a tattoo fan . i feel its best not to. this is law we are under grace.

i have seen people on t.v that has a big cross tattooed on their back . i especially dont like them on women .. some women or should i say i had a nice who felt it was wrong to pierce her ears. if we follow one follow all imo

I thought that law was for the priests and Levites. I don't have any tats because I have never seen anything that I would want forever on my body. I had a friend who searched for scripture that said Christians could not have tats, he could not find any so he went and got one. I think that if God wanted me to have a mark on my body He would put it there, since my body is a temple of the Lord, who am I to put graffiti on it.

Good question. Mat I answer it by saying that In the ancient Middle and Near East, tattoos were used to mark slaves.
When a war was won or a nation conquered another, those inhabinats were taken as slaves. That is how Israel would up in Babylon.

The name of a slave’s owner, or the "sign" of his family or nation would be tattooed or branded on his hand or forehead of the slave.
That was done so that if or when the slave were to run away, he could be easily returned to his master. Thus, tattooing was seen as a sign of ownership.

Now many will come up with all kinds of explanations so as to try and minimize the act of tattooing, the Bible truth is very clear.

Tattooing WAS an insignia of owership and that is the reason God condemned it in Leviticus. The tattoo on the flesh remined the people of their salvery past. They had already been in slavery in Egypt for 400 years and tattooing WAS the practice of the Egyptian as well as a method of SLAVE ownership.
God said that YOU are no longer considered a slave. The children of Israel were then prohibited from marking their bodies by God!

Robert.........this specific act is just like all the others we can name. IF WE want to do something, WE DO IT. We will make up any excuss we can think of so as to make what we did acceptable NO MATTER WHAT GOD HAS SAID.

Brother.........it is the sign of the times and of the Last Days........
1 Timothy 4:1:..........
“The Spirit explicitly says that in later times some will fall away from the faith, paying attention to deceitful spirits and doctrines of demons”.

I thought that law was for the priests and Levites. I don't have any tats because I have never seen anything that I would want forever on my body. I had a friend who searched for scripture that said Christians could not have tats, he could not find any so he went and got one. I think that if God wanted me to have a mark on my body He would put it there, since my body is a temple of the Lord, who am I to put graffiti on it.

Actually it was for the nation of Israel.

However, ALL of the Commandments from God was for Israel. But in all things we have to consider the CONTEXT and determine if what is good for them is also good for us.

Israel was the example of God's people and HIs workings in their life. The Church is that instrument today.

Example: The Bible says that Jews then are not to EAT blood. The Bible does NOT SAY that JEWS are to not eat meat....but BLOOD.
The Bible makes a reference in Deuteronomy that directly says, those who require meat, may eat meat whenever they desire.
Paul said that everything is permissible to eat if it is blessed.

God told the Jews to not EAT BLOOD because of HIs love for them. Blood has all kinds of diseases in it as well as parasites and all meat has to be thoroughly cooked.

What is the "right context of scripture"? That needs to be defined before the question can be properly addressed.

Hello BibleLover;

In Leviticus 19:19-35 and 19:28 God is referring to the list of statutes by commanding us "You shall not" (ESV) or "Do not" (NIV)

God did not approve what the pagan (or Heathen) practiced, therefore, God is clear in His declaration of Himself, "I am the Lord your God."

Jesus takes it further by encouraging us when we love God with all our heart we will follow all of God's instructions and commands.

I hope this helps,
BibleLover. What are your thoughts?

God bless you, brother, and your family.

God told the Jews to not EAT BLOOD because of HIs love for them. Blood has all kinds of diseases in it as well as parasites and all meat has to be thoroughly cooked.
Yes, and the prohibition of eating pork is similar: Many parasites and diseases that plague man are also found in pigs, even those that appear healthy. God was looking to the health of His people when telling His people, especially when and where proper (and waste disposal) is primitive.

The witness of both Peter and Paul is that we are free to eat whatever animal we wish, but where and how do we draw the line and understand which and to what extent of the Old Laws are applicable under the NT law of Love.

I have been spending a little time looking at the Babylonian Talmud and note the extreme rigidity in its teaching and I am becoming more skeptical of dogmatic approaches to living for The Lord.

But we should not assume license to do whatever seems good to us.

-- For myself, tats are not part of my preferred aesthetic, but note that much of the images, even some of a more 'religious' nature glorify pain and death.

Yes, and the prohibition of eating pork is similar: Many parasites and diseases that plague man are also found in pigs, even those that appear healthy. God was looking to the health of His people when telling His people, especially when and where proper (and waste disposal) is primitive. The witness of both Peter and Paul is that we are free to eat whatever animal we wish, but where and how do we draw the line and understand which and to what extent of the Old Laws are applicable under the NT law of Love. I have been spending a little time looking at the Babylonian Talmud and note the extreme rigidity in its teaching and I am becoming more skeptical of dogmatic approaches to living for The Lord. But we should not assume license to do whatever seems good to us. -- For myself, tats are not part of my preferred aesthetic, but note that much of the images, even some of a more 'religious' nature glorify pain and death.

Hello Siloam;

I have heard many stories of people who traditionally eat pork as part of their diet from other countries. Many had high cholesterol and blood pressure leading to heart attacks.

In 2022 I began to reconcile my intake of pork - bacon, sausage, ribs, which I love eating, but have turned to more chicken, salmon and lean meats.

God bless you, brother and thanks for sharing.

Yes, and the prohibition of eating pork is similar: Many parasites and diseases that plague man are also found in pigs, even those that appear healthy. God was looking to the health of His people when telling His people, especially when and where proper (and waste disposal) is primitive.

The witness of both Peter and Paul is that we are free to eat whatever animal we wish, but where and how do we draw the line and understand which and to what extent of the Old Laws are applicable under the NT law of Love.

I have been spending a little time looking at the Babylonian Talmud and note the extreme rigidity in its teaching and I am becoming more skeptical of dogmatic approaches to living for The Lord.

But we should not assume license to do whatever seems good to us.

-- For myself, tats are not part of my preferred aesthetic, but note that much of the images, even some of a more 'religious' nature glorify pain and death.
The moral laws relate to justice and judgment and are often translated as "ordinances." They are said to be based on God’s holy nature. As such, the ordinances are holy, just, and unchanging. Their purpose is to promote the welfare of those who obey. The value of the laws is considered obvious by reason and common sense. The moral law encompasses regulations on justice, respect, and sexual conduct, and includes the Ten Commandments. It also includes penalties for failure to obey the ordinances. Moral law does not point people to Christ; it merely illuminates the fallen state of all mankind.

The ceremonial
laws literally means “custom of the nation”; the words are often translated as “statutes.” These laws seem to focus the adherent’s attention on God. They include instructions on regaining right standing with God (e.g., sacrifices and other ceremonies regarding “uncleanness”), remembrances of God’s work in Israel (e.g., feasts and festivals), specific regulations meant to distinguish Israelites from their pagan neighbors (e.g., dietary and clothing restrictions), and signs that point to the coming Messiah (e.g., the Sabbath, circumcision, Passover, and the redemption of the firstborn).

just how wrong is it?

I would think that is a personal decision. What is wrong for me is not wrong for you. I think that they are wrong.
Some Christians condemn all tattooing as immoral because God clearly forbids them in Leviticus 19:28.

Now my thinking is that if God chosse to condemn them in His Written Word, who then am I to say that He made a mistake.

may i ask of examples? there are many things i an skeptical of.
Many sabbath rules are different on various kinds of land. So the Talmud has several classes of land (private, public, unclaimed, wild)

Now if one is standing on private ground, may he bend over and pick up an apple that lies just beyond the line (or would that be doing work on public ground? May one standing on private ground extend his hand over public ground and hold the apple?

There are rules about selling something when the sabbath approaches afternoon close to sundown). There must be time left for the buyer to go to private ground before the sabbath begins, and the rules change if the lane outside is closed at one end (blind alley).

There are several things about a tailor and his needle. If he thrusts the needle into a cloth just before the sabbath and the sabbath the starts, he may not pull then pull it out. He may also not walk around on public land with a needle thrust in his garment because others may think he is working or plans to work on the sabbath.

There are rules about when one may give clothes to someone to wash. White clothes must be given early in the week so that they can be finished being cleansed before the sabbath. Colored clothes can be left later (but there must still be time to finish cleaning them before the sabbath).

As far as I have found, the Bible does not make these distinctions about the kinds of land and how sabbath laws are different depending on whether one is in public or private.

A 'friend' once convinced me to get my ears pierced so I could wear fancy earrings and so got it done with a piercing gun, like they punched holes in them. It hurt! But then they started bleeding and getting infected so I just let them close up and never wore any earrings again.

I don't even wear any rings or jewellery, I find them annoying and gets in the way.

Never saw any need to get inked - my skin is thin and I've had enough needles with all the blood tests I used to have to take so no thanks. If I want to remember something I write it down or put it into a book.

I would think that is a personal decision. What is wrong for me is not wrong for you. I think that they are wrong.
Some Christians condemn all tattooing as immoral because God clearly forbids them in Leviticus 19:28.

Now my thinking is that if God chosse to condemn them in His Written Word, who then am I to say that He made a mistake.
i pretty much agree my only and only thought is it also condemns shave around the sides of your head, nor shall you disfigure the edges of your beard. while i have no beard and i dont shave around the sides of my head.. if we say one is wrong then we must go by all is wrong . i have girl cousin loaded it tatts on both arms/ my only tattoo is a dot on the back of my arm. i call it my stupid dot. i was stupid' for getting it

Back