Are We Close To The Second Coming?

Can I say, before this conversation takes place, that I expect disagreement and that I would urge everyone to not respond in anger? I believe we are.

Every generation in Church history has thought that the coming of Christ was just around the corner. In Second Thessalonians, Paul addressed the issue of some in that church who thought the Lord's Return was so close they no longer had to work and earn a living. There was a common belief in the 10th century that Jesus was coming in the year 1,000 AD. The outbreak of World War I saw a sharp increase in people believing the end of the world was approaching. But one thing is certain, we closer today than we were yesterday.

So do I. You are not the first to have this feeling......

I agree that I am not first - and probably not the last either. I feel we have reached a time in history - with the information, we literally have at our fingertips, that this in itself, proves the prophecy. I pray, every day that I am dead by that time.

Every generation in Church history has thought that the coming of Christ was just around the corner. In Second Thessalonians, Paul addressed the issue of some in that church who thought the Lord's Return was so close they no longer had to work and earn a living. There was a common belief in the 10th century that Jesus was coming in the year 1,000 AD. The outbreak of World War I saw a sharp increase in people believing the end of the world was approaching. But one thing is certain, we closer today than we were yesterday.

Rofl.. how right you are. And I do know that each generation thought they were close. Revelation, I believe was purposely written for that - to keep Christians aware.

Maranatha!

Ready or not, eh? Of course I agree. Do you think that we, as Christians, should be making ready for that day?

No one knows when Jesus is coming, but it certainly will not harm anyone's spiritual life to live as if he is coming in the next hour.

I John 3:2,3

Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
And every man that hath this hope in him purifieth himself, even as he is pure.

I don't want to do a Tolkien here - but it does say man and not woman. But seriously, I agree but we are told there are signs to look for.

I don't want to do a Tolkien here - but it does say man and not woman. But seriously, I agree but we are told there are signs to look for.

Silk, the biggest sign was May 14, 1948. That is when Isreal was once again placed into the Promised Land. That one fact then sets up all the reasof the things to come about in the prophectic Word of God.

Thank you for the compliment, Major. Do you think there is something we as Chrisitans can do to help the world prepare?

I don't think the world at large will ever be prepared.

Matthew 24:37-39

But as the days of Noe were, so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.
For as in the days that were before the flood they were eating and drinking, marrying and giving in marriage, until the day that Noe entered into the ark,
And knew not until the flood came, and took them all away; so shall also the coming of the Son of man be.

Mr. Darby Post: I don't think the world at large will ever be prepared.

I fear you are right and hope you are wrong.

Yes Silk: I think it is our Christian duty to get everyone, saved and unsaved , prepared as much as possible for His return. To fold our hands because others oppose that Call to be ready, especially confused Christians, is a sore and fearful thing, IMO.

Now some questions: As Calvin suggested, Christendom has mistakenly thought the End was upon them: WW1, the year 1000AD all the failed prophecies of Timothy Lahaye andf Hal Lindsey and a whole gamut of prophets of confusion.

So....What "signs" are specific to our time that were not evident in times past? Why would today be any different than many yesterdays of false hopes?

And secondly: If we are to know what is to come in any rational degree, we must have the right Bible eyesight to be able to see: it will not be on the News or some well meaning but faulty ranters website. This is why I talk so often about prophecy, as I see much confusion generated in the Church. How is that eyesight gained? Through human theological constructs from pop prophecy schools?

Going from memory here: The first thing I guess that is different is the very thing we use to converse here - the computer. The age of information is only now upon us. The world's economies are unstable and stumbling. The extreme weather sucks (can I say that?) and the rising cost of living does not come all that close to income. War and rumors of war. As major said - the state of Israel came into being in 1947. All of these things seem to be indicators. I pray that the tribulation does not come any time soon and I wish it never had to come. The Good Book tells us that if Christ doesn't come that there will be no one left to save.

Thank you for the compliment, Major. Do you think there is something we as Chrisitans can do to help the world prepare?

Get out the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ.

That is the ONLY thing that will make a differance !!!

We can use this WWW net such as this web site to get out the death, burial and resurrection of the Lord Jesus.

That is THE reason sites such as these are important as they now allow the gosple to go into all the world and reach the lost.

It is also why Christians should NOT be found confronting and argueing over trivial matters that lead no where. The lost who may be reading will see the agitation and say to themselves that if that is what being a Christian is all about, I do not want any part of it!

Back