Are we saved by Grace alone thru faith alone?

You were included in a response to YF regarding post #33. I thought you could clarify.

OK. I do not see me there in #33 but I would say that some people may think that the word "sacrament" itself involves some sort of "saving efficacy" but that is not what the word means or why the church employed it in the past. The word comes from "mystery" and if I recall it precisely means an outward sign (or symbol if you like) of an inward grace.

The Baptists I am aware of have only TWO ordnances and those are baptism and Communion and neither one of those have anything to do with the salvation of men.

Both are for those who are born again by faith in Christ and are acts of obedience rather than law or salvation.

OK. I do not see me there in #33 but I would say that some people may think that the word "sacrament" itself involves some sort of "saving efficacy" but that is not what the word means or why the church employed it in the past. The word comes from "mystery" and if I recall it precisely means an outward sign (or symbol if you like) of an inward grace.

The Baptists I am aware of have only TWO ordnances and those are baptism and Communion and neither one of those have anything to do with the salvation of men.

Both are for those who are born again by faith in Christ and are acts of obedience rather than law or salvation.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes, as the big difference is if one sees there being any effectual gracing towards us in and by partaking of them or not!

In the past few years, I have been noting different views and methods of water baptism. Many denominatiions around here (Mennonites, Church of the Brethern, Amish) stem from Anabaptist immigrants (Anabaptist refers to not baptizing infants). Most will not say that Baptism saves anyone, but they say it is an expected act of obedience.

There are those that say that if you were baptized in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Ghost, you need to be baptized again, specifically in the name of Jesus they cite the book of acts such as Acts 10:48.

In the Church of the Brethren, one is immersed once in the name of the Father, Once in the name of the Son, and once in the name of the Holy Spirit. They also bow forward for each immersion rather than leaning back.

I believe marriage is also called an ordinance, but like the other two it is not relating to being saved.

Something that one is commanded to do. A Sacrament supposedly has "Spiritual Magic" associated with it.
If baptism and the Lord's Supper is something we are 'commanded to do', what is the result of not doing them and does that turn baptism and the Lord's Supper into law rather than a means of grace?

If baptism and the Lord's Supper is something we are 'commanded to do', what is the result of not doing them and does that turn baptism and the Lord's Supper into law rather than a means of grace?
I don't attach much importance to either. I take communion when it's offered, and I got Baptized Because the Baptists like to get you in the tank as soon as they can after you're saved.

I don't attach much importance to either. I take communion when it's offered, and I got Baptized Because the Baptists like to get you in the tank as soon as they can after you're saved.
i agree communion is sacred a time of remembrance what Christ done for us . although i remind myself what Christ done for me every day. baptism i prefer to do a teaching on what it really is before baptizing . per crossnote question result not doing? i would say a blessing see the Lord supper and baptism should be taken serious. done under the leadership of the Holy spirit . to many treat it like some do coming to church. go through the motions .

Since baptism is a type, does it matter of the type for the type we use?
Consider that Eve was just one word off.
True, we don't expect perfection in the flesh but our perfection in Christ leaves no room for haphazard behavior but we give our all in our zeal to follow. So if we see it let's do it that way.
I believe types in the scripture pull things together for us and are a integral part to our understanding.

Consider that Eve was just one word off.
True, we don't expect perfection in the flesh but our perfection in Christ leaves no room for haphazard behavior but we give our all in our zeal to follow. So if we see it let's do it that way.
I believe types in the scripture pull things together for us and are a integral part to our understanding.
I guess we see types differently. I see them akin to a woman long waiting for her husband to return home from his tour of duty. When after 5 years he finally comes through the door, she runs past him, picks up his picture and starts kissing his picture (the type).

True, types help us to understand as they point to the the substance, the Substance being Christ and so...

Galatians 3:24-25 Therefore the Law has become our tutor to lead us to Christ, so that we may be justified by faith. But now that faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor.

Last edited:
Back