Are we saved by Grace alone thru faith alone?

been in discussion with some who seem to discount the reformation, and they see water baptism as a requirement to getting saved?

YES.

Sola Scriptura was and should be the motto of the Christian faith.

Water baptism itself does not bring salvation; salvation inspires the water baptism. It should be the first thing we do after we are "born again". Those who have received Jesus in their hearts should desire to follow Him in this ordinance as an act of obedience.

Jesus Himself came to John the Baptist to receive His water baptism because He was to take the sins of the world at His death. These sins would be washed away by God for those who put their trust in Him in John 1:29-31........
“The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water”.

YES.

Sola Scriptura was and should be the motto of the Christian faith.

Water baptism itself does not bring salvation; salvation inspires the water baptism. It should be the first thing we do after we are "born again". Those who have received Jesus in their hearts should desire to follow Him in this ordinance as an act of obedience.

Jesus Himself came to John the Baptist to receive His water baptism because He was to take the sins of the world at His death. These sins would be washed away by God for those who put their trust in Him in John 1:29-31........
“The next day John seeth Jesus coming unto him, and saith, Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world. This is he of whom I said, After me cometh a man which is preferred before me: for he was before me. And I knew him not: but that he should be made manifest to Israel, therefore am I come baptizing with water”.
many though are very adamant that what you and I hold to is a "false gospel:, as they would see water baptism as a requirement to getting saved!

Hope that the thief promised eternal life by Jesus actually did make it!
He had Jesus’s word, that is as solid as it gets…I am sure he will make it.

I am guessing you meant malefactor, cuz both the thieves (aka robbers) cast the same in his teeth.

Mat 27:44 The thieves also, which were crucified with him, cast the same in his teeth.

been in discussion with some who seem to discount the reformation, and they see water baptism as a requirement to getting saved?

many though are very adamant that what you and I hold to is a "false gospel:, as they would see water baptism as a requirement to getting saved!

Hello YeshuaFan;

This disappoints me. If we cannot teach and distinguish water baptism and spiritual baptism then who is accountable?

The church's disciple training, or the individual's choice of belief?

I'm with you, YeshuaFan, but, what do you suggest we do to get the disciple back into the right teaching?

Since baptism is a type, does it matter of the type for the type we use?
WAS Christ sprinkled ? Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
do we fully bury the dead or just sprinkle dirt over them ? i follow Christ example .. will it send one to hell being sprinkled ? doubt it as baptism does not save us . that would make it works saved by. i was raised in the Methodist Church many was sprinkled. it cant be a watery grave and be sprinkled

WAS Christ sprinkled ? Colossians 2:12
Buried with him in baptism, wherein also ye are risen with him through the faith of the operation of God, who hath raised him from the dead.
do we fully bury the dead or just sprinkle dirt over them ? i follow Christ example .. will it send one to hell being sprinkled ? doubt it as baptism does not save us . that would make it works saved by. i was raised in the Methodist Church many was sprinkled. it cant be a watery grave and be sprinkled

Hey guys;

I agree the full enchilada is the proper way to do water baptism. But there was a time when we were limited, for example, for our baptismal font, or baptistery, is actually a jacuzzi. But it was out of order one Sunday so back at the sanctuary we have a wooden basin on a stand that I used to "sprinkle" water on two youth.

The youth took a baptism class and learned they were publicly repenting of their sin and proclaimed they would follow Jesus.

I for one believe that any Trinitarian Baptism applies the blessings promised in scripture. To me, since water baptism has not salvation in it, then The amount of water simply isn’t the issue, to me. The real flaw here is that so many see Baptism as Law instead of Gospel.

When those people place some intrinsic value in "water" for salvation, they have in effect said that "water" has more saving power than the shed BLOOD of God.

A man who is saved on the battlefield by accepting Christ and dies before he is made wet by water is just as saved as the man who is drowned in the ocean after coming to Christ.

Many very sick and elderly who could not walk, much less be immersed in water, were sprinkled and that means just as much as being in a swimming pool.

I for one believe that any Trinitarian Baptism applies the blessings promised in scripture. To me, since water baptism has not salvation in it, then The amount of water simply isn’t the issue, to me. The real flaw here is that so many see Baptism as Law instead of Gospel.

Amen, Major;

We make that clear to any member who desires to be baptized. We have a member who was saved in April this year but isn't ready to be baptized. I cannot divulge her personal reasons, nor can I force her. But between her and God she will know when she is ready.

Back