Ask and it shall be given

I have been pondering this and thinking how when we ask God anything in Jesus name it will be given to us.

But many times we might ask other people things we get snubbed, fobbed off, not given a straight answer or the door shut in our face. Or we get our head bitten off for asking so we learn not to ask. Then theres the 'just do it' thinking where, since theres nobody around to ask, we end up just doing it all ourselves.

Matthew 7:9-10 goes on to say 'of what man is there of you, whom if his son ask for bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask for a fish, will he give him a serpent?

Notice its bread and fish which Jesus asked God to provided for miraculously the 5000, He didnt give everyone stones and serpents.
But how often do we experience asking for something and receiving stones and serpents instead of bread and fish, and if we do, what kind of person or father is this???

When Jesus was in the wilderness for 40 days, and he was hungry he was actually offered stones to eat. The devil tried to convince him that he could turn those stones into bread.
I dont know about the fish and serpent exchange, but I think I can relate to having my head bitten of for just asking a question. Am I asking the wrong person, or shall I keep asking. Because if say my own dad gave me a serpent instead of a fish that I had asked him for, I would think he either has to be joking, or he misheard me, or something must be really wrong?!

What do you think? Are there ever times when someone would deliberately shortchange or rip someone off, because I see it in the business world a lot and wondering if I should say anything or maybe just leave. Sorry if this doesnt make sense (it doesnt to me either) but Im just experiencing something in my workplace thats kind of like this and its bothering me.

Ok I need some help with this how do you write a resignation letter.

can I just say, sorry I will be no longer working for you because you are evil? Or do I just leave.

Hmm ok i seem to keep getting my head bitten off when I ask things again.

But the word says if we ask anything in Jesus name it will be given, so, even if we ask him to do something about the devil, He will deliver us. We just need to wait. Not by might, but by my Spirit.

But the word says if we ask anything in Jesus name it will be given, so, even if we ask him to do something about the devil, He will deliver us. We just need to wait. Not by might, but by my Spirit.
Hi Lanolin,
Yes scripture says this but let's look at it in perspective

11 Trust me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me, or at least believe on account of the works themselves.
12 I assure you that whoever believes in me will do the works that I do. They will do even greater works than these because I am going to the Father.
13 I will do whatever you ask for in my name, so that the Father can be glorified in the Son.
14 When you ask me for anything in my name, I will do it.

Now then we can clearly see that Jesus is talking about asking things agreeing with the Father's Will which is His Word.

Blessings

Hmm ok i seem to keep getting my head bitten off when I ask things again.

A key here is the phrase "in Jesus Name'

That is not simply a formalism if including a few words in a prayer. Asking in His name means claiming the authority on Christ, and should not be taken lightly. In many locations, claiming the authority of the sovereign gratuisly is treason and harshly punished.

But if we are claiming that authority, we must remember our Lord in the garden, and his prayer about taking the cup away. The cup was not taken away. But our Lord had placed His will subordinate to that of the Father.

All prayers claiming some special authority as a believer must, at least implicitly, be subject to the Sovereign will of the Father.

Thanks yes I was thinking of what we ask for in Jesus name, an sometimes peoples say, for Christ's sake.

As for the Lord in the garden, well the cup wasnt taken away true, but he was raised to life again, so,suffering is not in vain. Its like when women go through labour, they would not go through it were it not for the miracle of birth. Sometimes we need to endure pain.

Hello Lanolin;

Thank you for your thread, "Ask And It Shall Be Given"

This opens a lot of questions and testimonies about our "prayer request for others and ourselves."

I just did a book review late last night on Marriage Ethics for my Christian Ethics class this semester. This morning I called a brother who is also a pastor who offered to teach me about Christian Ethics. Instead of telling him politely I'm already enrolled in this course at seminary I accepted his offer as an additional answer to prayer.

I'll join the others in prayer regarding your job situation, sister.

God bless you and your family.

Was thinking on this and maybe your prayer doesnt get answered the way you think it should but its still will be answered and what you asked for will be given, its just the person you might have asked is not God so they cant answer your prayer, but God will, and there will be no mistake about who gets the glory because you asked for it in Jesus name.

Just an observation...

Many seem to be trying to force God into doing what THEY wish in the way THEY wish at the time of THEIR choosing.

This is never according to His will.

These will take a descriptive passage and insist on its being definitive.

But as I look back, I cannot think of a substantive prayer that I have prayed that He has not answered. At the same time, I cannot think of one that He did exactly as I specified. And, looking back, I am much better off.

Sometimes praying according to His will means adjusting my desires to His sovereign Will.

I think some people get a bit confused about Gods will when He doesnt do things they want right that instant.
For example, healing.
Some teachers will go 'you must never say 'if it is thy will' when you ask for healing its always Gods will to heal. But you cant force Gods hand, or 'name and claim' healing. Cos when it does not happen the way you expect, what do people who pray like this do..they either blame God or they say its a lack of faith.

The thing is Gods promises are worked out on His timing. Hes not like man who can lie and renege on their promise, and are full of hot air when they say stuff and it never happens. Salvation is promised, but He has not ever said to us He will give us a comfortable easy lifestyle in which we never suffer here on earth. We also cannot claim a promise thats meant for someone else, for example, if we want all the blessings promised to the israelites, then we have to be under the old covenant and that was conditional on following ALL the commandments otherwise we will get the curses. Yes there are curses God had prepared for the israelites if they did not follow all the commandments Moses laid out.

JEsus obtained that full blessing and also paid the curse under the old covenant.

GOd is not a man that he can lie.

But I just come across too many men who are liars who promise things then dont deliver :-(. Its really horrible to work under someone who boasts this and that but never follows through.

Why say something if you dont mean it? Isnt that evil???

Ok how do you write a resignation letter, do I just say, I ask to be let go as I cannot continue working for someone who is evil. Here is my last date.

Lanolin let me ask you a few things.
1. Why do you feel your boss is evil?
2. How do you feel towards your boss?
3. What thoughts do you have when you see or think of your boss?

Thank You

Back