It was a very long movie, and I did mind the viewing time (it wasnt like Gone With The Wind, which still has an element of suspense).
I believe the producers waiting too long between films. While their were many aspects I enjoyed, it wasnt a film I would choose to see again.
There was too much "war" in it that diluted the beauty created that I did like.
I'm ok with the war stuff, but I too would not see it twice. Not sure I understand how the other tribe spoke English.

Lord of the Rings battle scenes I remember were a bit too long and boring. I tend to fall asleep in those, and I can't always tell what side is which, but I suppose it would be obvious in Avatar with the blue people.

It turns out my friend and I are going to watch Titanic 3D at the Imax instead. I asked her if she could handle all that water (after our floods) and she said it was ok. So we are going.
Did you see it before it was made into 3D?

We used to have Titanic, the video cassette on VHS. It was a good movie and wouldn't mind watching it again on high quality.

Did you see it before it was made into 3D?
Yes I saw it with my Dad at the movies when it first came out. That was back in 1997.

I'd already seen A night To Remember loads of times, my brother was obsessed with the Titanic. He taped it off the TV.

The Titanic movie was more of a fictionalised story of course, so we watched it with a grain of salt. I am not sure how it will be in 3D but I've seen life of Pi in 3D and that was also featuring a lot of water, so I figured it would be like you were there swimming with the cast or something.

I don't think I've seen any CGI movies in 3D and I'm not really much of a fan of them. Am a bit old school and prefer 2D animation.

Verdict on Titanic in 3D
I don't really think the 3D added that much to the original except in some underwater sequences.

However it was nice to see it on the big IMAX screen and the time flew by it was full of action. I didn't cry at the end as I'd already known what happened...but! if only there was room left on that raft for two!!

I think Titanic does hold up as one of those big must-see movies. Ok Kate Winslet's accent was a bit dodgy but she and Leo had a good chemistry and they made the film what it was, a great love story. Otherwise it would have been just another disaster movie lol.

For the record, Jack did turn blue right at the end of Titanic. Sadly.

But they had the dream sequence at the end where he was still alive and they were in Titanic heaven on the grand staircase and everyone was clapping...

Verdict on Titanic in 3D
I don't really think the 3D added that much to the original except in some underwater sequences.

However it was nice to see it on the big IMAX screen and the time flew by it was full of action. I didn't cry at the end as I'd already known what happened...but! if only there was room left on that raft for two!!

I think Titanic does hold up as one of those big must-see movies. Ok Kate Winslet's accent was a bit dodgy but she and Leo had a good chemistry and they made the film what it was, a great love story. Otherwise it would have been just another disaster movie lol.
I did not think the 3D would have added much, as the movie is more about the story than the visual. Don't know if you have ever seen MythBusters? They did an entire show trying to figure if it was possible for both of them to fit on that piece of wood. They could not.

She should have given that big old diamond to her family.

Well he did first try to get on but the wood tipped over.

I don't know what happened to her mother at the end whether she had to face her again. Rose would have given the diamond to her mother I suppose, or at least she would find out she had it. I am supposing Cal would have traced it back to her but she claims she never saw him again.

I have all sorts of speculative theories of what happened at the end of Titanic. I thought maybe Fabrizio would end up with Rose but then I may have missed a scene where he drowned. Apparently 40 people were rescued from the water in the lifeboats not 6 as claimed in the movie.

I don't know if a high society girl like Rose could have just changed her identity upon returning to America when she was engaged and had her wedding all planned by her mother. Maybe she did though and ran off to the wild west and rode the rollercoaster and did everything she couldn't do if she had stayed in New York. Cal would have married someone else. Her widowed mother would have just had to suck it up in genteel poverty I suppose.

Well he did first try to get on but the wood tipped over.

I don't know what happened to her mother at the end whether she had to face her again. Rose would have given the diamond to her mother I suppose, or at least she would find out she had it. I am supposing Cal would have traced it back to her but she claims she never saw him again.

I have all sorts of speculative theories of what happened at the end of Titanic. I thought maybe Fabrizio would end up with Rose but then I may have missed a scene where he drowned. Apparently 40 people were rescued from the water in the lifeboats not 6 as claimed in the movie.

I don't know if a high society girl like Rose could have just changed her identity upon returning to America when she was engaged and had her wedding all planned by her mother. Maybe she did though and ran off to the wild west and rode the rollercoaster and did everything she couldn't do if she had stayed in New York. Cal would have married someone else. Her widowed mother would have just had to suck it up in genteel poverty I suppose.

Fabrizo did not make it. I think he was hit by falling debris. Of its total 2,240 passengers and crew, only 706 people survived the Titanic. Jack Dawson and Rose DeWitt Bukater, portrayed in the movie by Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, are almost entirely fictional characters (James Cameron modeled the character of Rose after American artist Beatrice Wood, who had no connection to Titanic history). "At 104, Beatrice Wood could not really get into her work studio any more. She couldn't go to the premiere of Titanic so James Cameron and Gloria Stuart brought the video to her. She refused to watch it. She said it was too late in life to be sad."

Aw. I saw a bio/memoir by Gloria Stuart somewhere but never read it. I don't know what other movies she has been in but she had to be aged to play the centenarian on screen when she was only in her 80s. She didn't like that! lol

I'm curious about what other movies James Cameron has made. Also I found out he's been married about five times, one of his wives he met on the set of Titanic.

I think he must have had huge financial backing to make this epic. It probably cost more than the real Titanic itself.

Ok $200 million for Titanic. No idea where he got that amount of money from, but then Hollywood has deep pockets.

Also there is a NZ connection - James Cameron lives here. What? According to wikipedia==

In early 2014, Cameron purchased the Beaufort Vineyard and Estate Winery in Courtenay, British Columbia for $2.7 million, to pursue his passion for sustainable agribusiness.[114] He sold the vineyard in 2020.[115][116] In June 2019, Cameron announced a business venture with film director Peter Jackson, to produce plant-based meat, cheese, and dairy products in New Zealand. He suggested that we need "a nice transition to a meatless or relatively meatless world in 20 or 30 years".[117] In 2012, Cameron purchased more than 1,000 hectares (2,471 acres) of land in remote South Wairarapa, New Zealand; subsequent purchases have seen that grow to approximately 5,000 hectares. The Camerons grow a range of organic fruit, nuts and vegetables on the land. Nearby in Greytown, they run a café and grocery store, Forest Food Organics, selling produce from their land.[118][119][120]

And..originally Canadian...

Cameron applied for American citizenship in 2004, but withdrew his application after George W. Bush won the presidential election.[144] Cameron resided in the United States, but after filming Avatar in New Zealand, Cameron bought a home and a farm there in 2012.[145][146][147] He divided his time between Malibu, California and New Zealand until 2020,[148] after which he sold his Malibu home and decided to live in New Zealand permanently.[149] He said in August 2020, "I plan to make all my future films in New Zealand, and I see the country having an opportunity to demonstrate to the international film industry how to safely return to work. Doing so with Avatar [sequels] will be a beacon that, when this is over [COVID-19 pandemic], will attract more production to New Zealand and continue to stimulate the screen industry and the economy for years.[150][151]

Cameron has said he is a "Converted Agnostic", adding "I've sworn off agnosticism, which I now call cowardly atheism".[54]

Ok I must not be up with the play. Avatar 2 was filmed in NZ mostly or at least post production at the Weta Workshop.

Cameron mentioned a possible third sequel for the first time in 2012; and was officially confirmed the following year.[57][58] Cameron was then looking to release Avatar 2 in 2015, but later that year, production was rescheduled for 2014, with the film to be released in December 2016, and to be followed by the two other sequels in 2017 and 2018.[59] By 2015, the scheduled release dates for the sequels were each delayed by another year, with the first sequel expected to be released in December 2017; this was due to the writing process, which Cameron called "a complex job".[60][61] The following month, Fox announced a further release delay.[62] In February 2016, production of the sequels was scheduled to begin in April 2016 in New Zealand.[63] In April 2016, Cameron announced at CinemaCon that there will be four Avatar sequels, all of which will be filmed simultaneously.[64] The four Avatar sequels share a $1 billion budget (e.g. $250 million each film).[65]

And thist

Live-action​

In February 2019, Landau stated that live-action filming for Avatar 2 and 3 would commence in New Zealand in the spring of 2019.[107] Cameron confirmed later the same month that they had "only wrapped for [the motion capture parts]. Now, that is the vast majority of the characters and it is the vast majority of the running time of the film. But that pesky little live action component is going to cost me five months of my life across the two movies."[108] Filming for 2019 concluded on November 29, to resume the following year in New Zealand.[109][110][111]

On March 17, 2020, Landau announced that the filming of the Avatar sequel films in New Zealand had been postponed indefinitely in response to the COVID-19 pandemic. He also confirmed that production would remain in Los Angeles.[112] However, virtual production continued in Manhattan Beach, California while visual effects continued at Weta Digital in Wellington.[113] In early May, health and safety production protocols had been endorsed by the New Zealand government, allowing filming to resume in the country.[114]

On June 1, 2020, Landau posted a picture of himself and Cameron on Instagram, showing that they had returned to New Zealand to resume filming. After their arrival, Cameron and 55 other crew members who had traveled to New Zealand started a 2-week government-supervised isolation period at a hotel in Wellington before they would resume filming. This would make Avatar 2 and 3 the first major Hollywood blockbusters to resume production after postponing filming due to the pandemic.[115][116][117][118] On June 16, 2020, Cameron resumed filming and Landau posted a photo of his crew on Instagram filming the production.[119][120] The New Zealand production hired 46 New Zealand cast members including Cliff Curtis (Tonowari) and Duane Evans Jr. (Roxto), 114 local stunt artists, almost 800 extras, and 36 apprentices and interns.[121][122] In September 2020, Cameron confirmed that live action filming in New Zealand had been completed, therefore completing the shooting of the film altogether after over three years; he estimated Avatar 3 to be "95%" completed, due to having live-action parts yet to be filmed outside of New Zealand.[123][124][125]

In July 2022, the New Zealand Film Commission disclosed that the Avatar sequels had received over NZ$140 million worth of public funding through the country's Screen Production Grant. By comparison, The Hobbit trilogy (2012–2014) had received NZ$161 million in film subsidies. While ACT party deputy leader Brooke van Velden criticised the Government's film subsidy programme for allegedly taking public funding from other areas, the Economic Development and Regional Development Minister Stuart Nash argued that New Zealand's film subsidies for major Hollywood products brought much needed overseas investment and jobs to the New Zealand film industry.[126]

Back