Can Christians Judge?

What I meant is we shouldn't tell people they are going to hell. That isn't what the scripture says to judge.

I wanted to apologize for calling your posts wrong. I realized after I posted that it was rude, so I'm sorry I did that.

So, yes, there is effectively two ways we can judge. Basically we can do it out of contempt or out of discernment. If we discern that someone is doing something wrong, and out of concern we approach them about it, that's OK. I get the sense that's what your advocating to.

But, then again, you can pretty much do that to an atheist also.

What I'm not real comfortable with is this notion that it's OK to judge as long as they're Christians. However you define judgment, I think you'll agree, using some common sense about it is a good thing.

I wanted to apologize for calling your posts wrong. I realized after I posted that it was rude, so I'm sorry I did that.

So, yes, there is effectively two ways we can judge. Basically we can do it out of contempt or out of discernment. If we discern that someone is doing something wrong, and out of concern we approach them about it, that's OK. I get the sense that's what your advocating to.

The web makes it hard to know what someone is saying. I had another verse in the OP that specifically states we leave the judging of non believers to God.

What I'm not real comfortable with is this notion that it's OK to judge as long as they're Christians. However you define judgment, I think you'll agree, using some common sense about it is a good thing.
Also thanks for apology. I didn't take it to heart. We are all passionate about the lord

I generally only read the first paragraph or so. The rest I either skim over or skip. I wish I had time for the long-winded posts but I'm one of the typical audience members that is lost on such methods. Good to know though. Maybe I'll go back and give it a closer look. [emoji106]

We make time for what is important to us.

The web makes it hard to know what someone is saying. I had another verse in the OP that specifically states we leave the judging of non believers to God.

Yes, I know but I think to interpret that as meaning we can just judge away for believers is wrong. I really think St. Paul meant that we have an obligation to watch out for those within the Church. I think he was trying to get us to be more comfortable making judgments about Christian's behaviors since we're all suppose to be looking out for each other. I don't think he wanted us to be like the thought police, actively looking for wrongdoing.

The Churches that he was writing to were doing some pretty messed up things, which is why he wrote the letters. As I said, having a judicial mentality and some common sense is what's called for here, not a license to do whatever we want.

We make time for what is important to us.
I agree 100%. [emoji106]

I'll quote my own post (#7) and bold the relevant portion which confirms my statement above.

I have and am. [emoji6] Also, after rereading my reply I see how it could come off as sounding rude. I wanted to make sure you knew that was not my intention. I'm just a short and to the point type and my learning/reading style reflects that.

Of course, when thoroughly researching and studying topics, that logic goes out the window. But, then again, when researching/studying I have a set block of time put aside for that purpose.

Anyway, just wanted you to know.

Yes, I know but I think to interpret that as meaning we can just judge away for believers is wrong. I really think St. Paul meant that we have an obligation to watch out for those within the Church. I think he was trying to get us to be more comfortable making judgments about Christian's behaviors since we're all suppose to be looking out for each other. I don't think he wanted us to be like the thought police, actively looking for wrongdoing.

The Churches that he was writing to were doing some pretty messed up things, which is why he wrote the letters. As I said, having a judicial mentality and some common sense is what's called for here, not a license to do whatever we want.
I can see your point. One thing I do in my own life is have an accountability partner. My brother-in-law and I get together once a month and basically talk about how we have come short and also tell each other what we have noticed. We pray about it and do our best to live without the lapses. I believe all Christians should want others to correct them. Just like at work I accept professional criticism because it can make me better.

1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

The "spiritual" man may judge all things, but he cannot be judged by others...Wow! :)

1Co 2:15 But he that is spiritual judgeth all things, yet he himself is judged of no man.

The "spiritual" man may judge all things, but he cannot be judged by others...Wow! :)
The natural man does not have the capacity to judge the spiritual life of a believer. They may think "Ooh he's just this" or "Ooh he's just that", but they don't really understand the relationship with have with God!

I can see your point. One thing I do in my own life is have an accountability partner. My brother-in-law and I get together once a month and basically talk about how we have come short and also tell each other what we have noticed. We pray about it and do our best to live without the lapses. I believe all Christians should want others to correct them. Just like at work I accept professional criticism because it can make me better.

Yes, in the EOC they encourage you to have a spiritual counselor who you can confess to. I'm still not sure if John 20:23 applies to all Christian brothers or just priests. This is where we see the sacrament of reconciliation established.

Ah yes, but you must have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit for this to be true. If no man can judge, then the Holy Spirit holds us accountable. So without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we would be just a group of clanging cymbals.

Ah yes, but you must have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit for this to be true. If no man can judge, then the Holy Spirit holds us accountable. So without the indwelling of the Holy Spirit, we would be just a group of clanging cymbals.
Yes of course, one must have the Spirit to be "Spiritual" :) But one must have learned to submit to the life that is in the Spirit as well, to be "Spiritual"

Just love the Lord Jesus and you will do fine :)
I used struggled in the past tense.

The sacrifice you desire is a broken spirit. You will not reject a broken and repentant heart, O God. (‭Psalms‬ ‭51‬:‭17‬ NLT)
Oh, give me back my joy again; you have broken me— now let me rejoice. (‭Psalms‬ ‭51‬:‭8‬ NLT)
The bow of the mighty is now broken, and those who stumbled are now strong. (‭1 Samuel‬ ‭2‬:‭4‬ NLT)

Brokenness has a way of humbling the proud. In my experience humility was required for submission.

Back