Christians, guns, and self-defense

The water gun I did have to defend against dogs broke because I left it out in the sun and it fried the plastic.

But I don't really need it because the neighbours dog moved away anyway.
It did kill one of our chickens though.

I'm not going to buy another one because as long as we keep the gate closed no dogs will get in. But it's also the dog owners responsibility to keep their dogs fenced in their property.

I think a better solution would be, if say we had new neighbours and they had a dog, is just to talk to them and say hey we have pets as well including chickens can you please make sure that your dog is fenced in.

Right. Now if the time comes that you wake up and find a couple of hoodlums breaking into your home a 2 AM......You go right ahead and talk to them.

I lived by the sword before accepting Christ….and after that, I gave my merchandise away.

After about 15 years, when I felt I could handle it ….I acquired a handful of items …not really for protection, but because I found range time relaxing…..it’s something I enjoy, I’m good at, and I try to do it weekly.

I have turned the other cheek and walked the other way, contrary to what I would have done in the past, and it’s getting easier for me to do that. But I will stand my ground to protect my home, loved ones, and anyone who needs it …including myself should the situation arise.

There you go. That is the acceptable answer.

Jesus was not a pacifist.

One must decide NOW, today what they will do if they have some one trying to break into their home. If one waits untill that happens or wants to pray about what to do........it is too late.

I don’t know if I can handle taking a life. I have an alarm on my house, a dog, pepper spray, baseball bats, and knives for protection. I have had a gun pulled on me as a passenger in a road rage incident and have physically subdued an armed drunk individual to the point of “putting him to sleep” twice before the cops came and took him away.

I know I am capable of defending myself in the vast majority of situations but I also know I can be at a tremendous disadvantage by not having a firearm and that leaves me with vulnerabilities.

But I also know myself well enough to know I would be devastated to take a life even if I thought it was my only option at the time. I would reflect on it, possibly for the rest of my life, and think of all the “what ifs” that I could have possibly done differently to avoid ending someone’s life.

On the other hand, if something were to happen to a loved one and I failed to act and/or my actions were not enough to prevent it because I didn’t have the right tool (firearm), I would also be devastated for the rest of my life.

I also know possessing a firearm can lead to a false sense of security, potential accidents from stray bullets or mistaken identity, and I have two young children in the house.

I really do see the pros and cons of both sides and am genuinely conflicted. Others have quoted scripture about the two swords but I’ve heard interpretations of that verse that suggest it was not about defense and only about fulfilling prophecy. I’m afraid interpreting to turn the other cheek as only about minor insults and infractions may be too minimal in scope and a possible misinterpretation to justify a position.

In short, I’m still very conflicted.

The water gun I did have to defend against dogs broke because I left it out in the sun and it fried the plastic.

But I don't really need it because the neighbours dog moved away anyway.
It did kill one of our chickens though.

I'm not going to buy another one because as long as we keep the gate closed no dogs will get in. But it's also the dog owners responsibility to keep their dogs fenced in their property.

I think a better solution would be, if say we had new neighbours and they had a dog, is just to talk to them and say hey we have pets as well including chickens can you please make sure that your dog is fenced in.
So the neighbor's dog just had enough, packed his doggie house, and moved away?

He probably wanted to live in a neighborhood where people did not shoot him in the face with a water gun.

Rtm

Last edited:
I don’t know if I can handle taking a life. I have an alarm on my house, a dog, pepper spray, baseball bats, and knives for protection. I have had a gun pulled on me as a passenger in a road rage incident and have physically subdued an armed drunk individual to the point of “putting him to sleep” twice before the cops came and took him away.

I know I am capable of defending myself in the vast majority of situations but I also know I can be at a tremendous disadvantage by not having a firearm and that leaves me with vulnerabilities.

But I also know myself well enough to know I would be devastated to take a life even if I thought it was my only option at the time. I would reflect on it, possibly for the rest of my life, and think of all the “what ifs” that I could have possibly done differently to avoid ending someone’s life.

On the other hand, if something were to happen to a loved one and I failed to act and/or my actions were not enough to prevent it because I didn’t have the right tool (firearm), I would also be devastated for the rest of my life.

I also know possessing a firearm can lead to a false sense of security, potential accidents from stray bullets or mistaken identity, and I have two young children in the house.

I really do see the pros and cons of both sides and am genuinely conflicted. Others have quoted scripture about the two swords but I’ve heard interpretations of that verse that suggest it was not about defense and only about fulfilling prophecy. I’m afraid interpreting to turn the other cheek as only about minor insults and infractions may be too minimal in scope and a possible misinterpretation to justify a position.

In short, I’m still
Hello Skipper
Sounds like you should just purchase one then the indecision would no longer be in the mix. The concern about its inappropriate use and consequences are conditional so it is a more manageable concept and would bring the stress levels down. If after the purchase you still feel anxious you can always get rid of it and though it might still seem like a problem the solution has less unknowns.

I like tromping through the bush and filling the freezer and I enjoy sitting on the water trying to outsmart the fish but we are all different. It is not whether we do or don't.
I recall in morals & ethics the question was posed whether it was right for a mother to live imorally for the sake of providing for her children (that being the ONLY available option). Really that is a foolish question because scripture says that God will not put on us more than we can bear and He will always provide a way out - should it be the way. God is always 101% in control.
So owning a gun is not a scriptural requirement.
Is owning a gun a benefit???
We often think if I had such and such that would do it. Are the rich always happy and content? It doesn't matter where we find ourselves there are always enough variables for God to engineer His purpose. Is a owning a gun a benefit - if we are walking with Him then all things are lawful.
My response would be - if you want one go for it if you don't no need to fret.

You said.......
" So owning a gun is not a scriptural requirement.said............

Agreed.

I guess I didn't respond to your statement altogether.
I see scriptural requirements to be spiritual in nature so the tools one might use are neither here nor there.

Hello Skipper
Sounds like you should just purchase one then the indecision would no longer be in the mix. The concern about its inappropriate use and consequences are conditional so it is a more manageable concept and would bring the stress levels down. If after the purchase you still feel anxious you can always get rid of it and though it might still seem like a problem the solution has less unknowns.

Agreed. He can always sell it later it there is a concern.

So the neighbor's dog just had enough, packed his doggie house, and moved away?

He probably wanted to live in a neighborhood where people did not shoot him in the face with a water gun.

Rtm
well no their dog killed our chicken.
We might have sent him to the pound, but the neighbour apologised and then moved away so we never saw them again. I don't know if the dog is still terrorising neighbourhood chickens, but their cat was also quite mean and attacked our cat, she had to have stitches at one point.

Never had to use a gun since.

I don't think they do much good though, just cause fear and really a bit silly. You could just chuck a rock or a ball instead, be cheaper too.

Actually a ball would probably be better. I don't recommend throwing rocks at people. If they catch it, then good, if they can't, well then you can laugh and say well you missed that one.

Water bombs only work in summer, but they can also be a deterrent. Otherwise if you are really rich just dig a moat all the way around your property and fill it with crocodiles...could work.

Hello Skipper
How difficult is it to resell a gun? I live in California and I know we have some very restrictive gun laws. Do you happen to know if we have some sort of law against reselling them?

My wife is really the bigger hold out than I am. Maybe if I offer to sell the gun/return it if it feels really uncomfortable, she’d be ok with it. I offered to keep it in a safe deposit box but I don’t know if that would work. If the doo-doo hits the fan, I may not be able to get into the bank to get it on my way out of dodge.

How difficult is it to resell a gun? I live in California and I know we have some very restrictive gun laws. Do you happen to know if we have some sort of law against reselling them?

My wife is really the bigger hold out than I am. Maybe if I offer to sell the gun/return it if it feels really uncomfortable, she’d be ok with it. I offered to keep it in a safe deposit box but I don’t know if that would work. If the doo-doo hits the fan, I may not be able to get into the bank to get it on my way out of dodge.
You can always sell a gun to a certified gun dealer.

Actually a ball would probably be better. I don't recommend throwing rocks at people. If they catch it, then good, if they can't, well then you can laugh and say well you missed that one.

Water bombs only work in summer, but they can also be a deterrent. Otherwise if you are really rich just dig a moat all the way around your property and fill it with crocodiles...could work.
A moat is the easy part. It's the drawbridge that would be a hassle to get a permit......:ROFLMAO:

I think things are a little simpler here in Canada and living in a rural setting firearms are quite commonplace.
Don't know too much about life in the fast lane, about the only time I'm on the run is when nature calls lol...

Hello Skipper
You know, in 25 years of law enforcement, I never had to shoot anyone. I came close twice, but decided against it.

Extensive training is how we get around having to "think" about what we can and cannot handle. It just becomes an automatic thing with little thought (aka: hesitation) involved.

California is one of those "funny states." You cannot re-sell a gun on your own, you have to go through a license gun dealer. (https://www.cashmyguns.com/blog/how-to-sell-a-gun-in-california/)

Rtm

Back