Christians, guns, and self-defense

I think things are a little simpler here in Canada and living in a rural setting firearms are quite commonplace.
Don't know too much about life in the fast lane, about the only time I'm on the run is when nature calls lol...

Or maybe a bear is wanting to be friendly!!!!

You know, in 25 years of law enforcement, I never had to shoot anyone. I came close twice, but decided against it.

Extensive training is how we get around having to "think" about what we can and cannot handle. It just becomes an automatic thing with little thought (aka: hesitation) involved.

California is one of those "funny states." You cannot re-sell a gun on your own, you have to go through a license gun dealer. (https://www.cashmyguns.com/blog/how-to-sell-a-gun-in-california/)

Rtm

I am not proud to say this Ray.......but I have no earthly idea how many times I have fired a weapon at an enemy.

How difficult is it to resell a gun? I live in California and I know we have some very restrictive gun laws. Do you happen to know if we have some sort of law against reselling them?

My wife is really the bigger hold out than I am. Maybe if I offer to sell the gun/return it if it feels really uncomfortable, she’d be ok with it. I offered to keep it in a safe deposit box but I don’t know if that would work. If the doo-doo hits the fan, I may not be able to get into the bank to get it on my way out of dodge.

How hard is it to resell a gun?????

Go to the local bar, ask the bartender and BOOM you are done.

You supposed to love your enemies, not shoot them though.
At least, LOVE is what Jesus said...

When someone breaks into your home, to steal your items, to take or rape your wife or husband or son or daughter, you don't kneel and pray. You have a responsibility to protect them from harm. Pray as you shoot them that the Lord have mercy on their souls.

That is the prayer they will get from me.

You know, in 25 years of law enforcement, I never had to shoot anyone. I came close twice, but decided against it.

Extensive training is how we get around having to "think" about what we can and cannot handle. It just becomes an automatic thing with little thought (aka: hesitation) involved.

California is one of those "funny states." You cannot re-sell a gun on your own, you have to go through a license gun dealer. (https://www.cashmyguns.com/blog/how-to-sell-a-gun-in-california/)

Rtm
In my working career I was the Building Operator at our local police station for a number of years. I can somewhat appreciate the training you had to go through. The politics involved in police behavior is beyond belief, and just let the media think they got something to say. In my opinion the media is the one that ought to be hung. No to get into detail but the media will absolutely destroy someone. Glad to hear you maintained your sanity.

Skipper - as you mentioned, your state has some strict laws - I found this here info from your Attorney General. Good luck.

https://oag.ca.gov/firearms/regs

`
I have never re-sold a weapon; not sure I would want to.

Now I have couple of weapons I am really no longer sure I remember what I was thinking about when I got them. But, they are mine and will stay that way, even if I never take them out to te gun range again.

Rtm

Yes, and just because you end up shooting someone does not mean you do not love them. These are two different actions.

Rtm
not sure about your logic there.
So gunshot suicides are ok?
Wouldn't like to clean up the mess...or go to peoples funerals that I shot. Maybe you just supposed to shoot people in the foot.

Here both would need permits. The moat creates wetlands adding new setbacks and other restrictions.
Just used barbed wire in NZ - or 'number 8 wire'. Not sure why it's called number 8 though.

In NZ our predators aren't crocs or bears. Our predators are dogs, and stoats and possums..and rats. They eat our precious native birds.

You are allowed to hunt deer (some people farm them when they found out that they are good eating) wild pigs, and possums..also rabbits. Oh and wild goats.

But you can't shoot sheep. That's a no no. Sheep are cared for. Horses too..wild horses are allowed to roam free in certain areas.

Wouldn't like to clean up the mess...or go to peoples funerals that I shot. Maybe you just supposed to shoot people in the foot.
Ok Lanolin, you have to stay focused. This is about defending yourself with a gun, but about suicide.

My point was/is that even in a situation where you are forced to shoot or take someone's life, it does not mean you hate that person. Many a soldier has risked his/her life to save the life of their enemy.

Rtm

You supposed to love your enemies, not shoot them though.
At least, LOVE is what Jesus said...

Yes He did.

However, When we see Joshua by Jericho in Joshua 5:13-15, a mysterious and powerful figure showed himself to Joshua with his sword drawn. When asked who he was, he identified himself as the commander of the LORD’s army. Joshua fell down and worshipped him. That was the pre-incarnant Lord Jesus Christ who LEAD ISRAEL IN BATTLE.

When the nation of Israel was commanded to go into battle against the Amalekites—Jesus was not disconnected from that order (1 Samuel 15:1-3). He was very much involved and engaged in the commission of Israel into war.

Also in Luke 22:26............
"He said to them, “But now let the one who has a moneybag take it, and likewise a knapsack. And let the one who has no sword sell his cloak and buy one”.

Now Lanolin, when someone has a knife to your childs throat and demands your wallet......tell them that you love them and give them a kiss and then you all can sit by the camp fire and sing a song together.

Maybe you need to be more "realistic" instead of dreaming my dear sister. Realtime life is a lot more complicated and incolved than what we want it to be in our thought and ideals.

We are discussing a man using a weapon to protect his family......not someone using a weapon to commit suicide.

When someone breaks into your home, to steal your items, to take or rape your wife or husband or son or daughter, you don't kneel and pray. You have a responsibility to protect them from harm. Pray as you shoot them that the Lord have mercy on their souls.

That is the prayer they will get from me.

Exactly! That is why you make that decision NOW to do what may or may not happen in the future.

Maybe you need to be more "realistic" instead of dreaming my dear sister. Realtime life is a lot more complicated and incolved than what we want it to be in our thought and ideals.

We are discussing a man using a weapon to protect his family......not someone using a weapon to commit suicide.

"Greater love has no one than this, than to lay down one’s life for his friends." John 15:13, NKJV

Rtm

Or HER friends.
Our lives are on the line everyday. This doesn't equate with actively using carnal weapons to defend ourselves.

Jesus taught us to put on SPIRITUAL armour and use HIS word as a sword.

I finished reading a book about the New Zealand wars, largely forgotten now. But so many people died its not funny, and they didn't even really gain anything from it, because relations between Maori and Pakeha (British) still take a lot of work to sort out. Maori learned how to speak and read English, (kind of forced to) but many of the British didn't even bother to learn how to speak and read Maori.

There still hasn't even really been a Maori Prime Minister even though there are designated Maori seats, and prisons are full of mostly Maori. That is a real problem for both groups of people.

Anyway I am just putting it out there that guns didn't solve anything in that case. The New Zealand Wars were also known as 'the musket wars'...guns being called muskets back in the day, when the Maori first laid eyes on what they called 'shooting sticks' they really wanted them because they loved fighting. Often it was like sport to them. So they gave up a lot of land and goods in order to have them..they were like I don't know...a new video game or something.

But, the Brits also introduced Maori to the game of rugby. Which I think, while still being somewhat violent, is maybe a better way to fight over a ball than supply everyone with a lot of guns!!!

(Riots at rugby tours is another story I'll share another time)

Back