Churches Today

I have been looking for a new church in my area. I love the preacher at this one particular church. He is fabulous and his preaching is wonderful. The praise and worship time is equally wonderful.

HOWEVER, they keep the lighting low in the church and use those low lights (blue lighting and low light yellow lights). This makes me so crazy. These low lights just seem weird to me. It gives off the vibe of cocktail hour or something. It has this hipster vibe that I just do not like. I want to see people, not struggle to find a chair If I walk in late....

Do I stay at the church because the preaching is really good, or do I leave? The lights make me crazy... lol
Am i just being weird and too picky?

Do I stay at the church because the preaching is really good, or do I leave? The lights make me crazy... lol

Roll your works upon the Lord [commit and trust them wholly to Him; He will cause your thoughts to become agreeable to His will, and] so shall your plans be established and succeed.
Proverbs 16:3 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/pro.16.3.AMPC

My suggestion is to pray and ask God for wisdom...

If any of you is deficient in wisdom, let him ask of the giving God [Who gives] to everyone liberally and ungrudgingly, without reproaching or faultfinding, and it will be given him. Only it must be in faith that he asks with no wavering (no hesitating, no doubting). For the one who wavers (hesitates, doubts) is like the billowing surge out at sea that is blown hither and thither and tossed by the wind.
James 1:5‭-‬6 AMPC
http://bible.com/8/jas.1.5-6.AMPC

CoffeeDrinker
Welcome to cfs!

My suggestion is to stop asking people about staying or leaving a Church and spend some time seeking The Father and find out what church He wants you in and then stay there until He says move.

This is where you will find provisions and Grace and everything else you will need !

Took me way to long to learn this but once I did, i started growing in the things of God like never before.

Again Welcome to cfs
Blessings
FCJ

If it was me, I don’t think I would leave a church and fellowship where I was comfortable with everything but the lighting, without first saying something about it to the pastor. If I didn’t want to say anything, I would print out a nice anonymous request for brighter lighting and put it in the suggestion box (if there was one), and if there wasn’t one I’d put it in the offering plate (with my offering of course :)). Other than that, I would do like Cturtle and Fish Catcher Jim said… pray about it.

CoffeeDrinker, if this pastor is teaching the true message of God, put the minor things aside. Or, if you feel comfortable enough, ask the Pastor about the lights but don't leave a true bible teaching church for lighting. Allow yourself to be sensitive to God's Holy Spirit.

1st Cor. 14:33, For God is not a God of disorder but of peace, as in all the meetings of God’s holy people.

Hebrews 10:24-25, Let us think of ways to motivate one another to acts of love and good works. 25 And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

Greetings:
That would creep me out.I like to go to a least two sunrise services a year;these people seem to be setting up for a visit from the prince-of-darkness.
bye

I have been looking for a new church in my area. I love the preacher at this one particular church. He is fabulous and his preaching is wonderful. The praise and worship time is equally wonderful.

HOWEVER, they keep the lighting low in the church and use those low lights (blue lighting and low light yellow lights). This makes me so crazy. These low lights just seem weird to me. It gives off the vibe of cocktail hour or something. It has this hipster vibe that I just do not like. I want to see people, not struggle to find a chair If I walk in late....

You seem to be in a very trying situation. Since you are a Christian, you must know that the Holy Spirit is responsible for leading you and convicting you of where you should be or where you should not be.

It is impossible for anyone to advise you of what you should or should not do in a situation such as you have described.
Personally, I would meet with the pastor and ask him why he is insisting on lighting that gives off the appearance such as you described.

I would remind him of 1 Thess. 5:22.............
"Abstain from all appearances of evil".

Now then, since the Holy Spirit is your helper and your guide, do you think that it may be that He is trying to tell you something?????
You are the only one who can answer that question.

But how do we recognize the Spirit’s guidance? How do you discern between our own thoughts and His leading? After all, the Holy Spirit does not speak with audible words. Rather, He guides us through our own consciences as seen in Romans 9:1 and other quiet, subtle ways.

One of the most important ways to recognize the Holy Spirit’s guidance is to be familiar with God’s Word. The Bible is the ultimate source of wisdom about how we should live (, and as a believer, "You" are to search the Scriptures, meditate on them, and commit them to your situation. The Word is the “sword of the Spirit", and the Spirit will use it to speak to us, to reveal God’s will for our lives; He will also bring specific Scriptures to mind at times when we need them most.

Knowledge of God’s Word can help us to discern whether or not our desires come from the Holy Spirit. We must test our inclinations against Scripture—the Holy Spirit will never prod us to do anything contrary to God’s Word. If it conflicts with the Bible, then it is not from the Holy Spirit and should be ignored and that is what I would advise you to do.

CoffeeDrinker
Welcome to cfs!

My suggestion is to stop asking people about staying or leaving a Church and spend some time seeking The Father and find out what church He wants you in and then stay there until He says move.

This is where you will find provisions and Grace and everything else you will need !

Took me way to long to learn this but once I did, i started growing in the things of God like never before.

Again Welcome to cfs
Blessings
FCJ

That's what i am doing. i have been staying put until i hear from God. But every time i walk in and see those lights it makes me nuts. but the preaching is good and i really like it. you are right. need to wait it out until i hear.

You seem to be in a very trying situation. Since you are a Christian, you must know that the Holy Spirit is responsible for leading you and convicting you of where you should be or where you should not be.

It is impossible for anyone to advise you of what you should or should not do in a situation such as you have described.
Personally, I would meet with the pastor and ask him why he is insisting on lighting that gives off the appearance such as you described.

I would remind him of 1 Thess. 5:22.............
"Abstain from all appearances of evil".

Now then, since the Holy Spirit is your helper and your guide, do you think that it may be that He is trying to tell you something?????
You are the only one who can answer that question.

But how do we recognize the Spirit’s guidance? How do you discern between our own thoughts and His leading? After all, the Holy Spirit does not speak with audible words. Rather, He guides us through our own consciences as seen in Romans 9:1 and other quiet, subtle ways.

One of the most important ways to recognize the Holy Spirit’s guidance is to be familiar with God’s Word. The Bible is the ultimate source of wisdom about how we should live (, and as a believer, "You" are to search the Scriptures, meditate on them, and commit them to your situation. The Word is the “sword of the Spirit", and the Spirit will use it to speak to us, to reveal God’s will for our lives; He will also bring specific Scriptures to mind at times when we need them most.

Knowledge of God’s Word can help us to discern whether or not our desires come from the Holy Spirit. We must test our inclinations against Scripture—the Holy Spirit will never prod us to do anything contrary to God’s Word. If it conflicts with the Bible, then it is not from the Holy Spirit and should be ignored and that is what I would advise you to do.

Yes, i understand the HS and do hear from Him. I was curious as to if I am just being ridiculous about the lighting. Maybe these things do not bother others. I have no idea. I am praying about the church. For now I feel I need to stay. I will do what the HS leads me to do, but the lights really irritate me. I am hearing a lot from others that churches are going in this direction now. I keep hearing it's so they can attract the millennial age group.

Hey, coffeedrinker,

When moving into a new area and church more than once because with my husband's business I found that six weeks is a good indication to me as to whether to stay or keep looking.

You say that the lights are like that when you arrive late. It goes without saying that this may not be quite the same problem if you get there a little early before the lights change.

Every church has flaws and if this bothers you from the beginning it could be indicative of other things which may bother you in that congregation. Sounds like they are catering to a certain type of crowd with the atmosphere being so. However, we were in a church which did that after the service started and even had the ushers have people who were late wait until there was a break (usually after the worship) before letting people open the doors. That way people aren't wandering in for an extended period of time after the service starts.

You may find it better to keep looking but certainly keep praying. Sometimes we have to adapt. Other times we are in the wrong place. Ask the Spirit to give you wisdom and discernment in your choice. Trust that the Lord will guide.

Blessings,

sandpiper >o<

Hey, coffeedrinker,

When moving into a new area and church more than once because with my husband's business I found that six weeks is a good indication to me as to whether to stay or keep looking.

You say that the lights are like that when you arrive late. It goes without saying that this may not be quite the same problem if you get there a little early before the lights change.

Every church has flaws and if this bothers you from the beginning it could be indicative of other things which may bother you in that congregation. Sounds like they are catering to a certain type of crowd with the atmosphere being so. However, we were in a church which did that after the service started and even had the ushers have people who were late wait until there was a break (usually after the worship) before letting people open the doors. That way people aren't wandering in for an extended period of time after the service starts.

You may find it better to keep looking but certainly keep praying. Sometimes we have to adapt. Other times we are in the wrong place. Ask the Spirit to give you wisdom and discernment in your choice. Trust that the Lord will guide.

Blessings,

sandpiper >o<

I arrive at church early because i like sitting in the front. I dont like distractions and sitting in the front helps me relax and stay focused. When i get there early the lights are still low, which i thought was so weird, but if you get there late they are even darker, which is even more weird. lol

You are right. there are other

I arrive at church early because i like sitting in the front. I dont like distractions and sitting in the front helps me relax and stay focused. When i get there early the lights are still low, which i thought was so weird, but if you get there late they are even darker, which is even more weird. lol

You are right. there are other
There are a few other things that bother me. they are trying so hard to attract young people.

But every time i walk in and see those lights it makes me nuts.

Just something to pray about.... could the enemy have your flesh being offended (stirred up, and making you nuts) in order to cause you to to be agitated through the service, then as you are technically in unforgiveness (unless you forgive the staff for their choice of lights and such every time you complain in your heart and mind), your not going to receive all that God intends upon you to receive. The devil is trying to steal the Word before you even hear it. If he can get you upset during the worship that is preparing your heart to receive, then he is being successful, but your so distracted by the frustration that you cannot see or recognize it.

Another thing that the enemy is doing is causing you to be in strife towards the staff and technically the pastor because of the lights. And as your "feeling nuts" inside, your not pulling on the Holy Spirit within him or the worship team to produce what God has in store for you and others.

Most of us don't realize that we are responsible for how we receive the Word and how much we get out of each service. Try reading mark 4, Matthew 13 and Luke 8 (parable of the sower) and see if what im saying makes any sense.

God bless you and keep you and bring you peace.

There are a few other things that bother me. they are trying so hard to attract young people.

I hear you and understand. A lot of churches are trying to attract a younger group.

IMO, the more the preaching is Jesus focused, the more the church will grow because faith does not come from music or programs or light fixtures but from hearing of the Word of God.

I These low lights just seem weird to me. It gives off the vibe of cocktail hour or something. It has this hipster vibe that I just do not like. I want to see people, not struggle to find a chair If I walk in late....
/QUOTE]

Wow, that so interesting as Im seeing this after I just had a rant about churches today and whether Almighty God is pleased inthe way we offer up praises and your quote above is part of what I am noticing with 'churches today, many places do resemble raves; the lighting the really, really loud music giving people the false feeling that they are experiencing the HolySpirit.

I dont think your being picky, you have to be discerning. and as others have said pray and ask the Lord where He wants you to be planted.

Good luck and God Bless

Just something to pray about.... could the enemy have your flesh being offended (stirred up, and making you nuts) in order to cause you to to be agitated through the service, then as you are technically in unforgiveness (unless you forgive the staff for their choice of lights and such every time you complain in your heart and mind), your not going to receive all that God intends upon you to receive. The devil is trying to steal the Word before you even hear it. If he can get you upset during the worship that is preparing your heart to receive, then he is being successful, but your so distracted by the frustration that you cannot see or recognize it.

Another thing that the enemy is doing is causing you to be in strife towards the staff and technically the pastor because of the lights. And as your "feeling nuts" inside, your not pullimg on the Holy Spirit within him or the worship team to produce what God has in store for you and others.

Most of us don't realize that we are responsible for how we receive the Word and how much we get out of each service. Try reading mark 4, Matthew 13 and Luke 8 (parable of the sower) and see if what imnsayimg makes any sense.

God bless you and keep you and bring you peace.

I love your insight. Thank you so much. I love hearing the Word of God and I love the way this pastor preaches. I think you are right.
The enemy wants to keep me from all the HS has for me. OMG, I am so glad you wrote that, complete confirmation back to me.

I love your insight. Thank you so much. I love hearing the Word of God and I love the way this pastor preaches. I think you are right.
The enemy wants to keep me from all the HS has for me. OMG, I am so glad you wrote that, complete confirmation back to me.

God knows how to speak to and confirm with us what is really going on "if" we are willing to listen.

But sometimes we get so tripped up by the cares of everything we cannot see or hear clearly. I lived thst way for 20 years. And God has been teaching me out of it, so that I can share with others and help them get free from the same trap.

God is sooo awesome! And good!
Glory to His mighty name.

But at the same time I just do not understand why some churches are working so hard and doing all these things to attract a certain type of person. I like seeing peoples faces and saying hi.

Back