Constructive Criticism in Today's Preaching

Hello MusicMaster;

(Please expand your post)

God bless you and thank you. I'm in agreement with you and would like to respond to a couple of things you mentioned;

I can be in a room with a handful of brothers and sisters, discussing worship, praise and service and it will still be defined in various ways, but speaking for myself, I still get you when we break it down.

"Denying that our services never get that way," well, I'm not going deny our flaws, imperfections and mechanics during worship which is actually a part of the worship. We lay all our weaknesses and short fallings before the Lord so He can reveal His glory before the body of Christ. That is truly worship.

I will give more thought to what you shared and I do appreciate your encouragement to help me press on and persevere in the church.

You defined Worship, but now I have a question for you, brother. What is your experience of attending true worship with your family?

God bless you, MM, and thank you.

Bob, I always enjoy your feedback, and the heart you have for striving for that higher point on the mountain of life and faith.

You've asked a difficult question to answer in mere words. You see, from what scripture says throughout in relation to worship, and coupled together with what Jesus stated with very certain terms, that places worship that's acceptable to the Father on a plateau far higher than expressive language, if you know what I mean (you really like putting someone on the spot).

Hmm, well, the best I could do in answering your questions is to say this: My experience of worship WITH the family of faith would be far less if I didn't live worship outside the gathering. In other words, it would be mechanical, subject to mood music manipulations, deeply emotional wording from a reading, etc. Instead, there is that inexpressible joy, awe, reverence, being bowed down before the Throne and He who sits upon it, face to the ground, and something more... This is where I'm at a loss for words. There is that...something...or Someone...who gives utterances and higher expression that I cannot describe. It is so profound, so very meaningful and...perfect.

In SPIRIT and in TRUTH. The Spirit is the very Spirit of God, and Truth is a Person, not merely a collection of right and proper doctrines.

I can't satisfy the intellect beyond this, because it is so far beyond all that. Deep down, you just know that you can't contrive it from imagination or force of will and thought.

So, if that doesn't at least make a really good attempt at an answer, I don't know what would, and I apologize for that.

MM

Bob, as an additional note, what I tried to describe above isn't peculiar to the "corporate" scene for me. That indescribable phenomenon is with me throughout each day, mostly when I'm able to turn my mind to the Lord from all other things going on in life.

Now, I'm not like the hermit sitting on the pinnacle of some mountain, who dedicates his ever waking hour to worship and prayer. That's not what we're called to as followers of Christ, as you know. Learning to keep worship going, even throughout daily activities...that takes discipline, and a mindset that must originate from a Christ-filled life. The self-discipline portion, I've learned, is important to the success of ongoing worship.

I've been asked how this is done. Well, the closest thing to an instruction manual for this is the Bible itself, and those who ask me this are showing to me that they simply don't know their Bible...they haven't studied it enough to better understand the One of whom it speaks, and His instructions to us. They don't understand that some things just don't come to us by way of osmosis, and sleeping with their Bible under their pillow...

MM

Just some thoughts on this - worship and preaching, (in whatever form the meeting takes).

I believe as people come to appreciate the Lord more of who He is, then the overflow of that, is worship - adoration, appreciation, awe, exaltation, etc an overflow from our hearts of the utter glory of the Lord.

Thus said there needs to be more preaching/teaching on the Lord. Not Him teaching the beatitudes, or the sermon on the mount but HIM.
What He actually is as -

The Son of God, the Son of Man, the King of Kings, the Lord of lords, the name above all names, the teacher, the leader, the shepherd, the prophet, the apostle, the evangelist, the mediator, the sovereign king, the king of the ages, the king of heaven, the king of the nations, the king of the Jews, the king of Israel, the Alpha, the Omega, the worthy one, the lamb, the lion of the tribe of Judah, the Father, (of sons), the counselor, the governor of the nations, and on and on with 100`s of names.

And NOT to just say the name but to look into the meaning and open up these treasures of our risen, exalted, glorious Lord who is far above all, and leading us in triumph to glory.

Marilyn.

Bob, as an additional note, what I tried to describe above isn't peculiar to the "corporate" scene for me. That indescribable phenomenon is with me throughout each day, mostly when I'm able to turn my mind to the Lord from all other things going on in life.
Now, I'm not like the hermit sitting on the pinnacle of some mountain, who dedicates his ever waking hour to worship and prayer. That's not what we're called to as followers of Christ, as you know. Learning to keep worship going, even throughout daily activities...that takes discipline, and a mindset that must originate from a Christ-filled life. The self-discipline portion, I've learned, is important to the success of ongoing worship.
I've been asked how this is done. Well, the closest thing to an instruction manual for this is the Bible itself, and those who ask me this are showing to me that they simply don't know their Bible...they haven't studied it enough to better understand the One of whom it speaks, and His instructions to us. They don't understand that some things just don't come to us by way of osmosis, and sleeping with their Bible under their pillow...
MM
Just some thoughts on this - worship and preaching, (in whatever form the meeting takes). I believe as people come to appreciate the Lord more of who He is, then the overflow of that, is worship - adoration, appreciation, awe, exaltation, etc an overflow from our hearts of the utter glory of the Lord. Thus said there needs to be more preaching/teaching on the Lord. Not Him teaching the beatitudes, or the sermon on the mount but HIM.
What He actually is as -The Son of God, the Son of Man, the King of Kings, the Lord of lords, the name above all names, the teacher, the leader, the shepherd, the prophet, the apostle, the evangelist, the mediator, the sovereign king, the king of the ages, the king of heaven, the king of the nations, the king of the Jews, the king of Israel, the Alpha, the Omega, the worthy one, the lamb, the lion of the tribe of Judah, the Father, (of sons), the counselor, the governor of the nations, and on and on with 100`s of names. And NOT to just say the name but to look into the meaning and open up these treasures of our risen, exalted, glorious Lord who is far above all, and leading us in triumph to glory.
Marilyn.

I'm truly humbled by what I blue and red lighted.

I can sit with you both and have a cup of coffee and just talk Jesus. It's great when we can put on our disciple hats but to listen from the heart of others ministers to me.

From what I read this morning gives me some things to think about. During the sermon I can see some members flipping the pages in their Bible because they can't find the Scripture, looking down on their cell phone and others just don't pick up their Bible except on Sunday, makes it hard to appreciate the Mediator, the Alpha, Omega, the King of the ages.

The Christ filled life and what He actually is, also means I need to be more than a preacher or teacher, I need to include patience as He is with me.

God bless you and thank you for sharing with me.

Start a fan club for Jesus?

Well what do fans do for other people...they probably listen, read, think about their object of worship all the time. Then they get together and have coventions and dress up as their hero and maybe even fundraise for causes their hero believes in. Every time they do something its like WWJD and have a special language devoted to their hero and special songs and only those devoted really know who they are talking about....

I'm truly humbled by what I blue and red lighted.

I can sit with you both and have a cup of coffee and just talk Jesus. It's great when we can put on our disciple hats but to listen from the heart of others ministers to me.

From what I read this morning gives me some things to think about. During the sermon I can see some members flipping the pages in their Bible because they can't find the Scripture, looking down on their cell phone and others just don't pick up their Bible except on Sunday, makes it hard to appreciate the Mediator, the Alpha, Omega, the King of the ages.

The Christ filled life and what He actually is, also means I need to be more than a preacher or teacher, I need to include patience as He is with me.

God bless you and thank you for sharing with me.

Bob, I've known giants in the faith who started small groups focused strictly on studying about Jesus, and building upon that to lead the others in the group to that deeper, most intimate relationship with the One of whom the scriptures speak. One such man I've heard uses Revelation to bring people to a great depth in Christ. He shows them, teaches them, to see Christ standing right in the middle of all the horror going on throughout the earth as revealed in Revelation, holding His arms out in an open invitation to all.

Think about it... Look at Revelation 1:1 -
The Revelation of Jesus Christ, which God gave unto him, to shew unto his servants things which must shortly come to pass; and he sent and signified [it] by his angel unto his servant John:

Man, that says it all. From there, he then lets them continue in study of the other books to get even more glimpses into Christ, but Revelation, the book that most people tell me is the least understood to them.....if only they would look through all the smoke, they would see Him standing there in the midst of it all.

The name "Revelation" for the name of that book speaks loud volumes to the fact that it's singular because it's a revelation of a singular individual, not a bunch of sequential events, as most seem to assume. If people would read and heed that very first statement in that first verse, that can open up for them a revolutionary understanding of that wondrous book. It's actually my favorite, because no other horrors in all the world will ever come close to what's coming to this earth in those short, seven years. In the worst of it all, the Lord will still be standing there, arms outstretched, showing His love for this world that John 3 spoke of.

Blessings to you, Bob, and to all others here.

MM

Start a fan club for Jesus?

Well what do fans do for other people...they probably listen, read, think about their object of worship all the time. Then they get together and have coventions and dress up as their hero and maybe even fundraise for causes their hero believes in. Every time they do something its like WWJD and have a special language devoted to their hero and special songs and only those devoted really know who they are talking about....

There is already a fan club for Jesus......it is called the CHURCH!

Just some thoughts on this - worship and preaching, (in whatever form the meeting takes).

I believe as people come to appreciate the Lord more of who He is, then the overflow of that, is worship - adoration, appreciation, awe, exaltation, etc an overflow from our hearts of the utter glory of the Lord.

Thus said there needs to be more preaching/teaching on the Lord. Not Him teaching the beatitudes, or the sermon on the mount but HIM.
What He actually is as -

The Son of God, the Son of Man, the King of Kings, the Lord of lords, the name above all names, the teacher, the leader, the shepherd, the prophet, the apostle, the evangelist, the mediator, the sovereign king, the king of the ages, the king of heaven, the king of the nations, the king of the Jews, the king of Israel, the Alpha, the Omega, the worthy one, the lamb, the lion of the tribe of Judah, the Father, (of sons), the counselor, the governor of the nations, and on and on with 100`s of names.

And NOT to just say the name but to look into the meaning and open up these treasures of our risen, exalted, glorious Lord who is far above all, and leading us in triumph to glory.

Marilyn.

Agreed.

INPO........any teaching or preaching that is not Christ centered, is not really preaching at all!

Without Christ it may It may be positive motivation or information but without Christ it is not going to be convicting or lasting.

1 Colossians 1:15-18.......
"Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him (Christ) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, 9Christ) and for him: (Christ) And He (Christ) is before all things, and by him (Christ) all things consist. And he (Christ) is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he (Christ) might have the preeminence."

Agreed.

INPO........any teaching or preaching that is not Christ centered, is not really preaching at all!

Without Christ it may It may be positive motivation or information but without Christ it is not going to be convicting or lasting.

1 Colossians 1:15-18.......
"Who is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of every creature: For by him (Christ) were all things created, that are in heaven, and that are in earth, visible and invisible, whether they be thrones, or dominions, or principalities, or powers: all things were created by him, 9Christ) and for him: (Christ) And He (Christ) is before all things, and by him (Christ) all things consist. And he (Christ) is the head of the body, the church: who is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead; that in all things he (Christ) might have the preeminence."
Thank Major,

We agree on the most important truth - Christ.

Back