Could you be a cult leader?

Cult is a System of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object. Small group of people having religious practices regarded as strange or sinister.

Charisma is having a compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

The WORD of God is defined as a manifestation of the mind and will of God. Scripture means "What God has said". The WORD of God is also used as the name that describes Jesus Christ.

Adam had the first spiritual encounter with God as a made "in our image" man.Through his grandson by Seth, man began to call on the name of God and recognise a higher power.

We are a chosen generation,a royal priesthood,an holy nation,a peculiar people; that he should shew forth the praises of HIM who called you out of darkness into HIS marvellous light 1 Peter 2:9

Conscience is an inner feeling that voices the rightness or wrongness of one's behaviour,an internal guide.
Does everyone have a conscience?
As a believer are you led by the Spirit of God?

Rms.8:14 /16 For as many as ARE LED BY the Spirit of God,they are the sons of God.
The Spirit itself beareth WITNESS with our spirit,that we are the children of God.

We see in this generation of whole denominations that have a cult like mentality.
I pray we get fruitful friendly input here.

I will respond as I can....Thank you.

Cult is a System of religious veneration and devotion directed towards a particular figure or object. Small group of people having religious practices regarded as strange or sinister.

Charisma is having a compelling attractiveness or charm that can inspire devotion in others.

The WORD of God is defined as a manifestation of the mind and will of God. Scripture means "What God has said". The WORD of God is also used as the name that describes Jesus Christ.

Adam had the first spiritual encounter with God as a made "in our image" man.Through his grandson by Seth, man began to call on the name of God and recognise a higher power.

We are a chosen generation,a royal priesthood,an holy nation,a peculiar people; that he should shew forth the praises of HIM who called you out of darkness into HIS marvellous light 1 Peter 2:9

Conscience is an inner feeling that voices the rightness or wrongness of one's behaviour,an internal guide.
Does everyone have a conscience?
As a believer are you led by the Spirit of God?

Rms.8:14 /16 For as many as ARE LED BY the Spirit of God,they are the sons of God.
The Spirit itself beareth WITNESS with our spirit,that we are the children of God.

We see in this generation of whole denominations that have a cult like mentality.
I pray we get fruitful friendly input here.

I will respond as I can....Thank you.

Hi sister! I hope that you are well.

You have made several statements of Biblical fact in which I agree completely.

I am not sure what your point is as I can only see that you askes TWO questions......
1. Does everyone have a conscience?
2. As a believer are you led by the Spirit of God?

1. YES!
Not only do they have a general sense of right and wrong, but they also understand how their actions affect others. Conscience is sometimes described as that voice inside your head and THAT is where the battle is fought. "The war between the 2 natures. "

Romans 7:15-17....
"For I do not understand my own actions. For I do not do what I want, but I do the very thing I hate. 16 Now if I do what I do not want, I agree with the law, that it is good. 17 So now it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells within me."

2. Romans 8:14....
"For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, they are the sons of God."

ALL believers have the Holy Spirit of God in them, however, those believers who yield to God and allow the Spirit of God to control and lead them are sons, meaning, mature children of God.

? can you explain what you mean by 'this generation'
Just wondering. As I think a lot of people on here are not all of the same generation. If you meaning 'this generation' of those who are born again ? Or something else.

Everyone is at different ages and stages its not like one day, everyone born after a certain date AD is a Christian. ?!

Lanolin,
This generation is whatever this age is regardless of your generational tag.
I was born in '57 and I'm counting as high as 20 cults that have been in that time from Manson to Heaven's Gate.

Lanolin,
I was born in '57 and I'm counting as high as 20 cults that have been in that time from Manson to Heaven's Gate.
I remember some. I was born in '56. That Heavens Gate i think is the one we used to call the hail bops. Suicided and was gonna catch a ride on Haleys comet. Is that the one?

Yes, Hopefull ,there have been many in this last days.
I have watched some documentaries and I think to myself,how could these ppl be so deceived.

Is it in the person following or is the leader that is so dynamic?
Jim Jones,David Korish,Moon Sun Yun, Charles Mansion ect.

How can ppl be so deceived? I do believe we all are given the unction to worship. This is why we were created,to have fellowship with God. I cannot understand how above and average ppl get caught up in a person off this earth.

I have met some strong personalities but NONE that could sway me in a certain. NONE that could convince me to follow them

These ppl are worshippers in fundamental churches,yet they follow blindly. It's not that they may not know the word either.

Is it in the person following or is the leader that is so dynamic?
Jim Jones,David Korish,Moon Sun Yun, Charles Mansion ect.
I find many of these 'leaders' are 'undynamic' e.g. Sun Myung Moon, Charles Manson. Often a person that is 'starved for love' easily falls prey as they are at once showered with greetings and attention upon their first exposure to the group. The pressure to join becomes overwhelming...and then the 'process' begins.

oh ok, well, I only recently read about Jim Jones as that was before my time in 1976 I think. I was horrified. I didn't know so many people died/wanted to die. I read about the survivors, the ones who stayed behind, even the congresswoman who accompanied one of the congress guys who flew down there to try and get them out. She was shot several times and wounded as they tried to escape.

My neighbour lived in Guyana for a while during her childhood but I don't know if she lived there at the time of Jonestown. She was never part of that, she's a Quaker!

The cults that are active today in NZ are all monitored on this website cultwatch, but I don't pay that much attention to them. There are just too many. I hear about the weirder ones, like, Waco, and Heavens Gate, and then some of the more biblical cult type ones coming out of the US...mormons, JWs, etc..but they are actually mainstream religions here for some people.

A notorious one thats sometimes in the news is a group that live in their own pseudo commune called Gloriavale. I think there's always a danger when one group isolates themselves too much.

I find many of these 'leaders' are 'undynamic' e.g. Sun Myung Moon, Charles Manson. Often a person that is 'starved for love' easily falls prey as they are at once showered with greetings and attention upon their first exposure to the group. The pressure to join becomes overwhelming...and then the 'process' begins.

Agreed!

More often than not, a cult will promise to solve an issue in society that no one else is offering a solution to. Cults also offer a very structured lifestyle with absolute answers about what is right and wrong. The people who gravitate to a cult are "needy" people looking for someone to direct their lives for them!

Cults are usually very open, loving, and welcoming. There are almost never any obvious red flags to warn people that they may unwittingly end up in a cult. The longer they stay, the more they receive promises for health, wealth, and well-being and before they even realize it, the hook is in place.

As we are talking religious cults I can see ppl that have higher ideas about what makes a better worshipper or believer. To seek perfection and be the BEST for God is all our aspirations, but where is the line crossed?
The ones from Heaven's Gates for instance some believed in aliens,some in predictive futures,some in just bizarre random thoughts. This is how he convinced them they were going in a spaceship.

Let's look at what are recognized as big nationally renowned organized churches,not just small communes.

What are the criterias for these groups,who twist the scriptures to fit THEIR mold?

These ppl pull from folks that read and study but something is amiss!

I think the wrong kind of study to go beyond what God says to find a deeper meaning is what drives these types. It's as though salvation and following can not be that simple.....yet it is!

I know you all have wonderful thoughts,which is what this thread will most likely be,but if you can find scripture to isolate this kind of thinking ,it would be helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lanolin,

20????

Well, I have been involved in identifying and exposing what a cult is and what they teach for about 40 years now and I promise that 20 does not even scratch the surface.

What if I told you that the number is closer to 10,000!

As we are talking religious cults I can see ppl that have higher ideas about what makes a better worshipper or believer. To seek perfection and be the BEST for God is all our aspirations, but where is the line crossed?
The ones from Heaven's Gates for instance some believed in aliens,some in predictive futures,some in just bizarre random thoughts. This is how he convinced them they were going in a spaceship.

Let's look at what are recognized as big nationally renowned organized churches,not just small communes.

Jehovah's Witness is a big organization,LDS is another,some say 7 Day Adventist, bc of E. White,
I've even heard Church of Christ listed.

What are the criterias for these groups,who twist the scriptures to fit THEIR mold?

These ppl pull from folks that read and study but something is amiss!

I think the wrong kind of study to go beyond what God says to find a deeper meaning is what drives these types. It's as though salvation and following can not be that simple.....yet it is!

I know you all have wonderful thoughts,which is what this thread will most likely be,but if you can find scripture to isolate this kind of thinking ,it would be helpful.
Most cults have a charismatic Male leader who uselly claims some kind of "customary right" of a feudal lord to have sexual relations over female followers or use physical violence to sexually exploit them.

But, on the whole, they find it more efficient to dress up the exploitation as some sort of gift or therapy:
1. an opportunity to serve God,
2. an exorcism of “hangups,”
3. a fast track to spiritual enlightenment----
And only "They" are the one who is given the ability to pass this gift onto others.

One strategy used by Keith Raniere, the leader of the New York-based self-help cult NXIVM, was to tell the female disciples in his inner circle that they had been high-ranking Nazis in their former lives, and that having sex with him was a way to shift the guilt lurking in their systems conscience.

All of these people are especially alert to the manipulative uses of shame and guilt as a tool.

probably book to read about that is Kingdom of Cults by Walter Wagnerin.

Scripture come to mind is the one about false teachers or people who bring another gospel - don't invite them in.
2 Corinthians 11:4

though, the reason most are in cults is because they've never heard the truth in the first place.
Mormons have the book of mormon - a whole nother book ...and JWs have those watchtower magazines and their own version of the Bible too the New World Translation. Also they are tightly controlled by elders.

One strategy used by Keith Raniere, the leader of the New York-based self-help cult NXIVM, was to tell the female disciples in his inner circle that they had been high-ranking Nazis in their former lives, and that having sex with him was a way to shift the guilt lurking in their systems conscience.

All of these people are especially alert to the manipulative uses of shame and guilt as a tool.
Just a smidge bit of bible knowledge would have cured that reincarnation nonsense...

Hebrews 9:27 (KJV) And as it is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment:

There are so many diverse practices in the world such as new age,voodoo,hypnotism,mystics,psychics, etc. that this is the age that is probably easiest to reach with cultism.
An old saying " If you believe everything,you'll fall for anything".

I agree Major I'm unaware of the many that have started and followed cults. It is a CRIMINAL ACT followed and tracked by our alphabet men.
This last ,if that's what the group my grands fall into, will be led straight to AC without a hiccup!

We the church have sat back,folded our hands and are biding our time.......which puts us at odds with God. Have we really exposed our generation of children,those born to us,to enough of the truth that they can carry it forward? Do we OURSELVES know enough to pull someone free?

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of THE living. God. Heb.10:31

There are so many diverse practices in the world such as new age,voodoo,hypnotism,mystics,psychics, etc. that this is the age that is probably easiest to reach with cultism.
An old saying " If you believe everything,you'll fall for anything".

I agree Major I'm unaware of the many that have started and followed cults. It is a CRIMINAL ACT followed and tracked by our alphabet men.
This last ,if that's what the group my grands fall into, will be led straight to AC without a hiccup!

We the church have sat back,folded our hands and are biding our time.......which puts us at odds with God. Have we really exposed our generation of children,those born to us,to enough of the truth that they can carry it forward? Do we OURSELVES know enough to pull someone free?

It is a fearful thing to fall into the hands of THE living. God. Heb.10:31

You are 100% correct! It is easy to see how the world will accept the A/C after the Holy Spirit is removed!!!!

Back