CULTS--A Systematic Teaching

Hi Major

Thank you for the post. There are few things statements that you made that stuck out to me.

One of them is the following:
"Therefore, a Christian cult will deny one or more of the fundamental truths of Christianity while still claiming to be Christian."

I have visited many churches and even done research on some of them online.

My question is, are there any churches that teach ALL of the fundamental truths of Christianity?

Is there any church that does not add to the Word of God or have traditions or subtract from the Word of God?.
Hello Faith. Thanks for the question.

You asked.........
'are there any churches that teach ALL of the fundamental truths of Christianity?"

Absolutely!!! I would even go so far as to say that most "Christian Protestant" church's teach Bible doctrine.
If any church is not following Bible doctrine then you can be sure that it is not a Protestant Christian church.

Now.....there is a difference between CULTS and "HERETICAL" organizations that call them selves churches..

Now the key to that statement is of course......"What is a Christian Protestant Church"????

THAT is what you will have to determine through investigation and observation.

Then you asked me...........
"Is there any church that does not add to the Word of God or have traditions or subtract from the Word of God?"

Again.....absolutely there is! Exceptional Bible teaching, Bible doctrine believing churches are all over the land. Go and visit. After the service go and ask the Pastor........Do you preach any way to heaven except by the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and NOTHING ELSE???? If he is a solid preacher of the Word of God, I promise you that he will shake your hand and thank you for asking and will say YES! There will be NO exceptions, and no excuses and maybes. If you do not get that kind of responce...keep LOOKING!

Then you sated............
"If a cult is one that denies one or more of the fundamental truths of Christianity or adds to the bible, then it is reasonable to conclude that all churches are cults".

NO!. That is circular reasoning. A CHURCH is a group of Christians who have come together around the Bible Doctine of the Lord Jesus Christ. A genuine Christian church is founded on the life, death, resurrection, and Gospel of Jesus Christ. It bases its doctrine and teachings on the Bible plus nothing else!!!!

A CULT is "any religious group which differs significantly in one or more respects as to belief or practice, as defined in the Bible and its doctrines. A CULT will ALWAYS ADD to what the Bible teaches us about what it takes to get to heave.

Last edited:
Cults replace the Bible with their own literature. There is no such thing as false doctrine as doctrine is truth, therefore it is a false teaching and a lie. What the church teaches is doctrine if it comes from the Bible, this does not mean that men won't misunderstand it or make some mistake in presenting it. We are not yet perfect. It is important to be open to correction when you are shown you have made a mistake.

Hello Faith First;

Just like Major I also serve as Pastor, officially for the last 16 years. I wanted to respond to your good questions from my experience with people who have asked me the same questions.

If you are researching churches that you have visited, it's better to make an appointment and meet one on one with the Pastor. I responded to people who have visited the local Churches I served and also questioned our fundamental Truths of Christianity.

They witnessed first hand my answers face to face, choice of words, eye contact and overall body language. I thanked them for meeting with me and I make it very clear that meeting in person goes a lot further than researching the local Church on the internet website or Google.

A Church that teaches the fundamental Truths of Christianity is not flawless. Yes, there are preachers and teachers who have added, or subtracted from the Word of God. God gives the Word to the Pastor, Preacher or teacher and they do make mistakes, therefore, this is why it's so important that the responsibility of the Pastor sustain their personal discipleship (remain studious) so they don't let down their guard of teaching Sound Christian doctrine.

Faith First, you cannot just dismiss the conclusion that all Christian Churches are cultic. What does God say about His Churches? I'm sure He would question all Christians about His command, that we are to pray for one another including the Pastor. When we don't pray, hold the Pastor and each others accountable in His Church, then we're all just as responsible for disobedience.

This is why it's very, very important to pray incessantly for the Pastor, Preacher or teacher. They are still men who can let down their guard, don't stay sharp in their study and before you know it, they're not teaching sound fundamental Truths of Christianity.

8 years ago I once dealt with a man who had his own apologetics of the Truths of Christianity. He wanted me to make him an Associate Pastor, give him a monthly salary just like that! I pointed out his error in many areas. He got defensive and made a remark about my wife and the women should all know their place in the Church. They should all be home, barefoot and taking care of the house and family. One problem, he couldn't look me in the eye when defending his doctrine. God was there protecting the sheep and His servant. After that conversation he never came back.

A Pastor is a Shepherd who should remain in study but also protect God's sheep. Many wolves in sheeps clothing slither their way into the Church and festor into a cult.

This is my experience with the questions you ask that are presented to me by those searching, visiting and current members. I learned through the years as a Pastor, Preacher and teacher, we are imperfect humans but by staying focused on the Truths of Christianity, God will sustain His True Church on all four corners of the earth. For the churches who let down their guard and become cultic, woe to them.

God bless you, Faith First, your family and your desire to seek Him first.

LOL............Been there and done that!......more than once

Cults replace the Bible with their own literature. There is no such thing as false doctrine as doctrine is truth, therefore it is a false teaching and a lie. What the church teaches is doctrine if it comes from the Bible, this does not mean that men won't misunderstand it or make some mistake in presenting it. We are not yet perfect. It is important to be open to correction when you are shown you have made a mistake.

I agree.

It is one thing to teach a lesson or a class and make a mistake and then be corrected by the Bible. That person, then f a real believer will accept the correction, correct it and move on. It is another thing to PURPOSEFULLY teach something that is not in the Bible and when corrected refuse to acknowledge the error and continue in the false narrative.

Hello Dave;

I agree and just wanted to add that when a Pastor, Preacher or teacher is open to correction instead of exposing pride and ego, it makes a good witness to the disciple.

It's also important to remember when young people make mistakes with God's Word to be gentle when correcting them, instead of using a sharp tone or talking down to them. Another one of my mistakes from the past. YIKES!

God bless you, brother.

STUDY OF THE CULTS # 6.

Identifying the Most Well-known Cults.

Now before going any further into this section, allow me to say at this point that is absolutely impossible to list all the existing Cults in operation today.

If you are interested in knowing who they are I would suggest the following productions.........
Eerdmans Handbook to the History of Christianity
Kingdom of the Cults, Walter Martin
Larsen's Book of Cults, Bob Larsen

What I can do is list some of the more well-known cults and maybe some that you did not suspect being a Cult.
Now please take notice........This is NOT done to cause anyone consternation or to start an argument. It is simply a list of organizations which by their OWN teachings fall into the category of a Cult. If YOU are in one of these, then my advice is not to get angry with ME but YOU do the home work and study to find out where the problem lies. That folks is call CONVICTION through EDUCATION.

First of all.....What is Biblical, Doctrinal Christianity????

1. Jesus Christ is the Key Person. He is introduced in A.D. 30-33 in the area of Palestine. He is found in the written Bible.
2. God is said in that Bible to be THREE Persons in One Godhead. Father-Son-Holy Spirit.
3. He created everything out of nothing. He is eternal. He is changeless, holy, loving and perfect.
4. He, Jesus is the 2nd Person of the Godhead. He has existed eternally. He is the agent of Creation. He is the Messiah.
5. The Holy Spirit is the 3rd Person of the Trinity. He is a Person not a force or energy to be told what to do. He teaches us.
6. Salvation is only by the grace of God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ PLUS NOTHING WHAT SO EVER!
7. Believers in Christ go to heaven at death. UN-BELIEVERS go to the Lake of Fire at death.

1. HINDUISM.

This is the oldest organized religion in the world. It has approx. 1 billion followers which are mostly in India. It has NO SINGLE FOUNDER and was established approx. 2000 BC.

It has NO single creed and recognizes NO final truth or universal revelation.

GOD is said to be one impersonal, unknowable, ultimate reality known as BRAHMAN, VUSHNU, SHIVA.

Hindus may worship many other gods as well as family idols, and religious days.

Hinduism is one of the fastest growing cults in America. They are very agressive in airports, on the streets and in malls and especially in colleges.

There are several branches which include some that you may not be aware of...........

1. BUDDHISM. Buddhism is both an offshoot of Hinduism and a result of a response to Hinduism.
2. Hare Krishna.
3. Transcendental Meditation

2. Basic Beliefs

1. REINCARNATION. Death and then reborn as a lower class - CASTE
2. YOGA. Controle of the body and emotions
3. IDOLATROUS
4. They believe in 3 ways to Salvation.
A. Works
B. Knowledge
C. Devotion

3. LIFE - AFTER DEATH = Nirvana. = The final stage where the soul is emancipated from the chain of re-births.

4. PANTHESTIC.

1. Man is part of God
2. God is nature.
3. They do not recognize sin as a moral decision or has guilt. "Sin is an illusion".

STUDY OF THE CULTS # 6.

Identifying the Most Well-known Cults.

Now before going any further into this section, allow me to say at this point that is absolutely impossible to list all the existing Cults in operation today.

If you are interested in knowing who they are I would suggest the following productions.........
Eerdmans Handbook to the History of Christianity
Kingdom of the Cults, Walter Martin
Larsen's Book of Cults, Bob Larsen

What I can do is list some of the more well-known cults and maybe some that you did not suspect being a Cult.
Now please take notice........This is NOT done to cause anyone consternation or to start an argument. It is simply a list of organizations which by their OWN teachings fall into the category of a Cult. If YOU are in one of these, then my advice is not to get angry with ME but YOU do the home work and study to find out where the problem lies. That folks is call CONVICTION through EDUCATION.

First of all.....What is Biblical, Doctrinal Christianity????

1. Jesus Christ is the Key Person. He is introduced in A.D. 30-33 in the area of Palestine. He is found in the written Bible.
2. God is said in that Bible to be THREE Persons in One Godhead. Father-Son-Holy Spirit.
3. He created everything out of nothing. He is eternal. He is changeless, holy, loving and perfect.
4. He, Jesus is the 2nd Person of the Godhead. He has existed eternally. He is the agent of Creation. He is the Messiah.
5. The Holy Spirit is the 3rd Person of the Trinity. He is a Person not a force or energy to be told what to do. He teaches us.
6. Salvation is only by the grace of God through faith in the Lord Jesus Christ PLUS NOTHING WHAT SO EVER!
7. Believers in Christ go to heaven at death. UN-BELIEVERS go to the Lake of Fire at death.

1. HINDUISM.

This is the oldest organized religion in the world. It has approx. 1 billion followers which are mostly in India. It has NO SINGLE FOUNDER and was established approx. 2000 BC.

It has NO single creed and recognizes NO final truth or universal revelation.

GOD is said to be one impersonal, unknowable, ultimate reality known as BRAHMAN, VUSHNU, SHIVA.

Hindus may worship many other gods as well as family idols, and religious days.

Hinduism is one of the fastest growing cults in America. They are very agressive in airports, on the streets and in malls and especially in colleges.

There are several branches which include some that you may not be aware of...........

1. BUDDHISM. Buddhism is both an offshoot of Hinduism and a result of a response to Hinduism.
2. Hare Krishna.
3. Transcendental Meditation

2. Basic Beliefs

1. REINCARNATION. Death and then reborn as a lower class - CASTE
2. YOGA. Controle of the body and emotions
3. IDOLATROUS
4. They believe in 3 ways to Salvation.
A. Works
B. Knowledge
C. Devotion

3. LIFE - AFTER DEATH = Nirvana. = The final stage where the soul is emancipated from the chain of re-births.

4. PANTHESTIC.

1. Man is part of God
2. God is nature.
3. They do not recognize sin as a moral decision or has guilt. "Sin is an illusion".

Hello Major;

I have to address someone who emails a Sunday devotion each week. He will start off with Scripture and then add a Hindu or Buddhist philosophy.

Hello Major;

I have to address someone who emails a Sunday devotion each week. He will start off with Scripture and then add a Hindu or Buddhist philosophy.

You do know what philosophy is, right?

It is a blind man, in a room painted black, trying to find a black cat!

Are you aware that Julia Roberts converted to the Hindu cult and Tiger Woods is a Buddest?

I am not being argumentative in any way. Only a poster of facts. Anyone of the Hindu faith must at some time sit down and look at reality and their situation. They teach that the goddess of wealth and prosperity is "Lakshmi". If that is the case, then why in the world is India one of the poorest nations in the world after 5000 years of their religion???

A search of the internet will tell us that "Calcutta India" is the nastiest city in the world. If the Hindu faith has any validity that a man can be poor in one life and wealthy in the next, then how many reincarnations does it take to achieve that position?
Most Indians are cane-cutters and live in houses not fit to be lived in with more rats than fleas on a dog, but cows and rats live a life of luxury.. It is a miserable country!!!!

STUDY OF THE CULTS # 6.............Identifying The Cults - JEHOVAN WITNESSES

The founder was a man named Charles Taze Russell in 1884. He established a priniting press business named.....
"The Watchtower Tract Society" in 1885.

The Jehovah Witnesses' are a CULT!

1. They deny that Jeus is the Christ

A. They teach and believe that Jesus Christ is a CREATED being.
B. They teach that Jesus is actually that arch angel Michael.
C. They teach that Jesus became the Jewish Messiah at His baptism.
D. They teach that Jesus is the Son of God, but that He is NOT God the Son.
E. They teach that the resurrection of Jesus was "Spiritual".

2. They teach the DENIAL OF THE TRINITY.

A. They teach that the Trinity is a false unbiblical doctrine of Satan.

3. They teach the denial of the Holy Spirit.

A. They teach that the Holy Spirit is a "Force" and not a Person.

4. They teach and deny the bodily Resurrection of Jesus.

A. They say that the resurrection of Jesus was spiritual and never took place.

5. The Jehovah Witness doctrine is that there is NO existence after death.

A. There is NO heaven.
B. There is NO hell.

6. Only 144 Thousand will inhabit the earth.

A. NO heaven but the 144 K will live on the earth.
B. There is NO record in the organization on Who is included or HOW one gets to be included.
C. WOMEN are NOT included in the 144 K.

7. The JW'S deny the end Coming of Christ.

A. They teach that Jesus came in 1914........sorry folks, we all missed it.
B. They teach that there was an invisible Rapture in 1918.

8. They Teach that salvation is ONLY through the Watchtower Society.

9. They reject Blood transfusions.

A. The Bible tells the JEWS to not EAT blood for health reasons. They changed the word from EAT to TRANSFUSSION.

Please take Note..........There is absolutely nothing anywhere in the Word of God to validate this teaching.

STUDY OF THE CULTS #6 continued...........The Latter Day Saints or MORMONS.

Founded in 1830 by Joseph Smith. It is headquartered in Salt Lake City Utah.

Its key manifestos are "The Book of Mormon" - "Doctrine and Covenants" - "Pearl of Great Prince", the KJV BIBLE/J. Smith's Inspired Version.

1. WHO Is God?

A. Mormons teach that God the Father was once a man who lived on another planet and became God.
B. Mormons teach that this god has a physical body.
C. The Mormons reach that their god also has a wife who has a physical body as well.
D. Mormon tradition teaches that God increases in knowledge and, consequently, God does not have absolute and total knowledge.
E. Mormons teach that their attained godhood, He then organized this present world by placing both eternally preexistent, inorganic
matter and the preexistent primal intelligences from which human spirits are made.
F. For Mormonism, God, like man, is merely another creature in the universe.

2. WHO Is JESUS

A. Mormons also believe that Jesus was a god, but not God Himself
(Mormon Doctrine, p. 547; Articles of Faith, p. 35; Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, p. 372).
B. Mormons teach that Jesus is a separate god (being) from the Father who is Elohim. He was CREATED as a "spirit" child by His Father and Mother and is the elder brother of all humans.
C. Mormons teach that the body of Jesus was created through a sexual union between Elohim and Mary.
D. Mormons teach that Jesus and Lucifer are brothers.
E. Mormons teach Jesus was Married and a Polygamist
“ .......in my lecture on Marriage, at our last Conference, that Jesus Christ was married at Cana of Galilee, that Mary, Martha, and others were his wives, and that he begat children…If Jesus begat children, he only did that which he had seen his Father do.”
(Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 2, p. 210)

“It will be borne in mind that once on a time, there was a marriage in Cana of Galilee; and on a careful reading of that transaction, it
will be discovered that no less a person than Jesus Christ was married on that occasion. If he was never married, his intimacy with Mary and Martha, and the other Mary also whom Jesus loved, must have been highly unbecoming and improper to say the best
of it.”
((Orson Hyde, Journal of Discourses, vol. 4, pp. 259-260)

3. WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT

A. The Holy Spirit is a god seperate from the Father and the Son.
B. Mormons teach that the Holy Spirit is a FLUID like substance by which the Father exercises his influence.

4. HOW IS ONE SAVED

A. Mormons teach that we are saved through faith in Jesus Christ.
B. Mormons then teach that in addition to faith in Christ a man has to good works.
C. Mormons also teach that to be saved we must “keep the commandments of God which will cleanse away the stain of sin".
D. Mormons also teach that in addition to faith in Christ, keeping the law, a man must be water baptized.
E. Mormons teach that there is NO eternal life in heaven without being a Mormon Church Member in good standing.
F. Mormons believe that a person can receive salvation after they have died. Mormons perform these acts by proxy for people who
have died by water baptism.

5. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DEATH

A. Mormons teach that everyone goes to one of Three seperate heavenly called Kingdoms!
1. celestial, = These are they whose bodies are celestial, whose glory is that of the sun, even the glory of God, the highest of all,
whose glory the sun of the firmament is written of as being typical.
(Doctrine and Covenants 76:70)
2. terrestrial = And again, we saw the terrestrial world, and behold and lo, these are they who are of the terrestrial, whose glory
differs from that of the church of the Firstborn who have received the fulness of the Father, even as that of the moon differs from
the sun in the firmament.
(Doctrine and Covenants 76:71)
3. telestial = And again, we saw the glory of the telestial, which glory is that of the lesser, even as the glory of the stars differs
from that of the glory of the moon in the firmament.
(Doctrine and Covenants 76:81)

B. Mormons do not believe in the Lake of Fire.

As you can see, the Mormon church has radically changed the Bible by ADDING activities that are not found in that Bible.
The short answer then to the question of, are Mormons a Christian denomination? NO, not in any way! It is a CULT!

STUDY OF THE CULTS #6 continued...........ISLAM/MUSLIMS

1. The Foundation Writings

A. Founded in approx. 610 AD. from the writings of Muhammad.

B. Those writings are found in a book called the Quran.

C. Muhammad is a self described prophet who said that he received the Quran from the angel Gabriel and revealed in stages over a
period of 23 years.

D. Key*** ***The contemporaries of that time, and historians who investigated this, confirm that Muhannad could not read or write.
That forces the obvious question......who then wrote the holy book of the Muslims?

E. The answer of course is a scribe or a secretary. Then the question must be, .....since he could not read or write, how could he know
what he recited to his scribe was correctly written down??? I hope that everyone reading this can see how this opens the door for
CORRUPTION.

F. WHY is that an important statement??? Because the Quran itself says that the Biblical Law of Moses, Psalms, and the Gospel
record (the Injil) are considered to be "Corrupted".

2. Who Is God?

A. God (ALLAH) is one God. God revealed the Quran to Muhammad through his angel.

B. God is a severe judge and is not depicted as loving or gracious.

3. Who Is Jesus?

A. To the Muslim, Jesus is on of up to 124,000 prophets sent by God to variouse cultures at various times. Moses and Abraham
being in the same class.

B. Jesus was born of a virgin BUT is not the Son of God but the son of Joseph.

C. Jesus was not sinless nor was He divine or God Himself.

D. Jesus did not die and was not crucified.

E. Jesus will return again to live and then die.

4. Who Is The Holy Spirit?

A. The Quran refers to Jesus as the spirit of God. Muslim scholars see/teach the angel Gabriel as the Holy Spirit.

5. Salvation - What Must A Man Do To Go To Heaven?

A. All humans are basically good, but fallible and need guidence.

B. The balance between GOOD and BAD deeds determine eternal destiny in paradise or hell.

C. God's mercy "may" tip the balance but it is arbitrary and uncertain.

D. The Koran says to kill infidels.
Note: an “infidel” means “a person who does not believe in a religion that you believe".

6 The Afterlife.

A. Muslims believe in a resurrection of bodies on a final day of reckoning and rewards.

B. Muslims believe in an eternal paradise for those who believe in Islam.

C. Muslims believe that eternal hell is for all NON-Muslims.

STUDY OF THE CULTS ---#6, Identifying Cults ...........ARMSTRONGISM or WORLD WIDE CHURCH OF GOD.

1. FOUNDER

A. Herbert W. Armstrong in 1934.
B. Mr. Armstrong had a severe bi-polar disporder.

2. WRITINGS/PROPUCTIONS

A. "The Philidelphia Trumpet" magazine.
B. Malachi's Message.
C. Key of David, TV program.
D. "Plain Truth" magazine.

3. WHO IS GOD?

A. They reach that there is one infinite and eternal God.
B. They deny the Trinity as a family of individuals persons.

4. WHO IS JESUS?

A. Jesus is God incarnate.
B. Mr. Armstrong taught that Jesus would return in 1975.
C. The teaching of this group is that Jesus was not physically resurrected.
D. Mr. Armstrong taught that Jesus is the only one who has been "born again".

5. WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?

A. The Holy Spirit is an impersonal force.

6. HOW IS ONE SAVED?

A. Salvation is by the grace of God through faith in Christ, but the Old Test. Sabbeth days and feast days and diet must be kept.
B. The followers can not eat pork or shell fish or non-kosher food.

7. WHAT IS THE AFTERLIFE?

A. Resurrected believers will live on the earth.
B. The World Wide Church of God/Armstong's do not believe in a literal hell.
C. They do not believe in immortality of the soul.

While Mr. Armstrong was preaching on the radio, he was committing incest with his youngest daughter. He had actually taken her to a hotel room on occasion and cruelly raped her.
[This is well documented in several places, including the divorce proceedings with his second wife, Ramona.]

Herbert Armstrong taught that the white English-speaking peoples (primarily the USA, UK, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand) descended from ten lost tribes of ancient Israel.

Armstrong wrote:
“The sole value of human life lies in the human spirit and the potential of being begotten of God, later to be born VERY GOD, a child in the GOD FAMILY”.
Source: (Herbert W. Armstrong, Mystery of the Ages, Pasadena, CA: Worldwide Church of God, 1985, 92).
Implicit in this statement is the idea that men will become gods.

Recently, the WCG has undergone many changes which are now toward a more Biblical view. We as Christians need to pray for the leadership to continue that move.

Hello Faith. Thanks for the question.

You asked.........
'are there any churches that teach ALL of the fundamental truths of Christianity?"

Absolutely!!! I would even go so far as to say that most "Christian Protestant" church's teach Bible doctrine.
If any church is not following Bible doctrine then you can be sure that it is not a Protestant Christian church.

Now.....there is a difference between CULTS and "HERETICAL" organizations that call them selves churches..

Now the key to that statement is of course......"What is a Christian Protestant Church"????

THAT is what you will have to determine through investigation and observation.

Then you asked me...........
"Is there any church that does not add to the Word of God or have traditions or subtract from the Word of God?"

Again.....absolutely there is! Exceptional Bible teaching, Bible doctrine believing churches are all over the land. Go and visit. After the service go and ask the Pastor........Do you preach any way to heaven except by the shed blood of the Lord Jesus Christ and NOTHING ELSE???? If he is a solid preacher of the Word of God, I promise you that he will shake your hand and thank you for asking and will say YES! There will be NO exceptions, and no excuses and maybes. If you do not get that kind of responce...keep LOOKING!

Then you sated............
"If a cult is one that denies one or more of the fundamental truths of Christianity or adds to the bible, then it is reasonable to conclude that all churches are cults".

NO!. That is circular reasoning. A CHURCH is a group of Christians who have come together around the Bible Doctine of the Lord Jesus Christ. A genuine Christian church is founded on the life, death, resurrection, and Gospel of Jesus Christ. It bases its doctrine and teachings on the Bible plus nothing else!!!!

A CULT is "any religious group which differs significantly in one or more respects as to belief or practice, as defined in the Bible and its doctrines. A CULT will ALWAYS ADD to what the Bible teaches us about what it takes to get to heave.
Hi Major

Based on my research and the churches that I have visited, it definitely does look like Protestant churches in general are the most biblical.

However, are there any that are 100% biblical?

The reason why I am asking is because I sometimes have discussions with my Catholic friends and their stance is that there are no churches that are sola scriptura and they like to provide various reasons why:

This is some of their reasons:
- They talk about infant baptism by Protestant churches. I know that this is done by the Methodist, Lutheran and Presbyterian church.
- They talk about the celebration of Easter by Protestant churches. Jesus died during Passover, but we celebrate Easter. Easter is the goddess of fertility represented by the egg and was celebrated by the ancient Romans. The Roman Catholic included it as part of Christianity. Passover and Easter are not always on the same date and the date for Easter is determined by the Roman Catholic Church.
- Some Methodist churches support woman ordination which is unbiblical.

Is there a Protestant church that does not have infant baptism and that does not celebrate Easter or any practice/belief that cannot be found in the bible? How do I counter-argue my Catholic friends?

I visited a Lutheran church many years ago and saw a statue of “Jesus” and when I asked them about it. They said that they do not bow down to the statues like the Catholics; it is just a form of decoration and do not see having it has a sin. However, it is a violation of the second commandment and are not Catholics criticized by some Christians for having statues?

Therefore I guess the Methodists, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches are also cults although they are Protestant?

I have not been able to convince my Catholic friends that it is possible for a church to be sola scripture because they use various reasons as to why no church sola scriptura.
It looks like there is no Protestant church that is sola scriptura and therefore all churches including Protestant churches are cults.

Hi Major

Based on my research and the churches that I have visited, it definitely does look like Protestant churches in general are the most biblical.

The reason why I am asking is because I sometimes have discussions with my Catholic friends and their stance is that there are no churches that are sola scriptura and they like to provide various reasons why:

This is some of their reasons:
- They talk about infant baptism by Protestant churches. I know that this is done by the Methodist, Lutheran and Presbyterian church.
- They talk about the celebration of Easter by Protestant churches. Jesus died during Passover, but we celebrate Easter. Easter is the goddess of fertility represented by the egg and was celebrated by the ancient Romans. The Roman Catholic included it as part of Christianity. Passover and Easter are not always on the same date and the date for Easter is determined by the Roman Catholic Church.
- Some Methodist churches support woman ordination which is unbiblical.

Is there a Protestant church that does not have infant baptism and that does not celebrate Easter or any practice/belief that cannot be found in the bible? How do I counter-argue my Catholic friends?

I visited a Lutheran church many years ago and saw a statue of “Jesus” and when I asked them about it. They said that they do not bow down to the statues like the Catholics; it is just a form of decoration and do not see having it has a sin. However, it is a violation of the second commandment and are not Catholics criticized by some Christians for having statues?

Therefore I guess the Methodists, Lutheran and Presbyterian churches are also cults although they are Protestant?

I have not been able to convince my Catholic friends that it is possible for a church to be sola scripture because they use various reasons as to why no church sola scriptura.
It looks like there is no Protestant church that is sola scriptura and therefore all churches including Protestant churches are cults.

You asked me..........
"However, are there any that are 100% biblical?"

That is an impossible question to answer. I belong to a Southern Baptish church. I retired from that church and to the best of my knowledge we practiced total Bible doctrine.

We did not observe Easter with Eggs and rabbits and candy. We did nto have Christmas trees in the Church. We did not honor Halloween as anything other than just another day.
We never baptized an infant and never did it without the parents approval.

About the only thing we did not do was FOOT WASHING and that is actually NOT a Bible doctrine at all.

As far as countering your Catholic friends......You must focus on the Lord Jesus Christ plus nothing to be saved.
MOST Catholics do not understand...."ALL have sinned and come short of the approval of God" because they reject that they must be BORN AGAIN.

A great number do not even know what that means much less than it applies to everyone. YOU must focus of Jesus and the Word of God. Example............Ask =

"Why do YOU think that you make the sign of the cross yourself with your right hand".???
Can you show me where in the Bible that Scripture is that tells you to do that?

Another question might be......."Why do YOU think that Mary never sinned"? (Immaculate Conception)
Can you show me anywhere in the Bible that Scripture that validate that teaching?

Now, you must realize that ALL Catholic believers take "Traditions of Men" just as valide as the Word of God so there will be a built in respnce from them to you.

STUDY OF THE CULTS #6......Identifying Cults--------Seventh Day Advantists

1. FOUNDER.
The Seventh-day Adventist Church had its roots in the Millerite movement of the 1830s by William Miller.
Prominent figures in the early church included Hiram Edson, Ellen G. White, her husband James Springer White.
After William Miller’s failed prophecy of Christ’s Return in 1843, and then 1844, Mrs. White invented the “Investigative Judgement” teaching to try and explain away this failure and also to gain control over Miller’s followers.

2. KEY WRITINGS/PRODUCTION.

1. The writings of Ellen G. White are used to correct all Bible theology

3. WHO IS GOD?

1. God is the father of all creation.
2. They say officially that YES, they believe in the Trinity.

4. WHO IS JESUS?

1. Seventh-dayAdventists claim to recognise the full deity of Jesus Christ, that He is truly God, and indeed He is. They are in full agreement with the historical Christian Church on this point. The tragedy is that they are still tainted with the Arian heresy that Jesus Christ is Michael. Seventh-day Adventists will be quick to inform you that Jesus is Michael the Archangel, but that He is called “Michael” in heaven.

2. Seventh-day Adventists teach that Jude 9 refers to Christ, although Michael is plainly identified as an Archangel (or “chief of the Angels,” a translation Seventh-day Adventists claim is not correct).

5. WHO IS THE HOLY SPIRIT?

1. The early teachings from Ellen G. White was that the Holy Spirit was a manifestation of the presence or power of the Father or the Son. Adventists emphasized the separate and distinct personalities of the Father and the Son.

6. HOW IS ONE SAVED?

1. Faith in the Lord Jesus Christ.
2. Keeping the Law/Sabbath

7. WHAT HAPPENS AFTER DEATH?

1. They teach ANNIALIATIONISM. = NO "lake of Fire"

8. OTHER BELIEFS/PRACTICES

1. "Investigative Judgment".
This is a teaching born of a failed prophecy, namely, that instead of coming to earth visibly in 1844, as predicted----Christ entered into the second apartment in heaven, there to begin a work of final atonement, which would blot out a believer’s sins only after “Investigative Judgement” of the sinner.

This teaching is the opposite of the full atonement taught by the Christian Church, and also mocks at the words of our Saviour from the Cross, “It is finished!” (John 19:30). Hebrews 10:12 also states, “But He, having offered ONE sacrifice for sins FOR ALL TIME, sat down at the right hand of the God.” Christ paid fully for our sins, atoning for them fully. No Scripture teaches otherwise.

2. Sabbath Keeping.
1. Sunday Worship is the "mark of the Beast".
2. Saturday is the Sabbath.
3. SABBATH KEEPING is a test of loyalty to God and is the ultimate deciding factor in salvation.

3. No eating of MEAT. COFFEE. TEA. TOBACCL+O. ALCOHOL.

4. The 144,000 in the Revelation are all S.D.A. followers.

5. They teach in "soul sleep".

6. The book of Daniel was not unsealed untill 1844 when Mr. Miller then predicted the 2nd Coming of Christ.

7. There are TWO sources of authority=
A. The Bible.
B. Ellen G. White. Her writings are used to define correct theology.
C. Mrs. White is the final doctrinal authority in the church.

As you can clearly see, there are many things that a person MUST DO to please God in this religion. ALL of these are easily found by simply doing a google search to verify.

In closing this, may I say that Seventh-Day Adventism is a diverse movement, within the world of Christianity, and not all SDA groups hold to all the doctrines mentioned above. But all Seventh-Day Adventists should seriously consider the following:
a recognized prophetess in their church was a teacher of aberrant doctrine, and their church has its roots in the failed prophecies of William Miller and Ellen G. White.

So, should a Christian attend a Seventh-day Adventist church? Due to the penchant of Adventists to accept extra-biblical revelation and the doctrinal issues mentioned above, I would strongly encourage believers to not get involved in Seventh-day Adventism.
Yes, a person can be an advocate of Seventh-day Adventism and still be a believer. At the same time, there are enough potential risks to warn us against joining a Seventh-day Adventist church.

Well if you believe He is the Son of God and died for our sins and that He is 100% God and 100% man, then you can understand why He rose from the dead. If you think He was just a man, then I can see why you would doubt anyone's testimony on just a man rising from the dead.
Someone had said, 'if you can believe Genesis 1:1 then no following miracle would be too tough to believe.'.

Last edited:
However, are there any that are 100% biblical?" there will always be a difference in doctrinal teaching. the Pentecostals teach the baptism of the Holy spirit is the evidence of speaking in lounges. the Baptist do not some groups of Baptist teach osas/ eternal security , other Baptist do not.. but none of the above makes them a cult or a false religion.... imo a cult is anything contrary to the Bible. there will always be doctrine differences

I would ask in reply, "In doctrine or in practice?"

James 3:2
For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.

1 Corinthians 13:12
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.

Back