Discerning spirits

I certainly wish
Exactly. Our beliefs are pretty different. IMO, about as different as two people can get and both still be Christians. But that is the thing, we both recognize that we're Christians. I don't think that just because his path is different than mine that he is any less assured of Heaven.
I certainly wish a lot of people would realize this. Those who already do, may they be blessed!

I certainly wish

I certainly wish a lot of people would realize this. Those who already do, may they be blessed!

And there is a huge lesson in that, one that is actually on topic. The discerning spirit works both ways. It doesn't just warn against wrong things, but draws believers together. The Holy Spirit is not just a conscience like a cricket on our shoulder or something making us feel guilty all the time. He also points the way to the light, and that is where the real importance lies.

I have a regret in my life that I did not go to Bible school when I had the chance. And now I really want to, I don't have the funds to do it. I can't get a loan because it's not expensive enough. I do read and pray about His Word and ask Him for guidence. Of course, patience is always a virtue. I'm always learning from this site from all the references given. Looking at the different aspects people give and again, asking for guidence there when I am unsure of something.

I have had an experience (that happened only twice) of overwhelming love, just all of a sudden. I felt so much peace. Now, I'm not sure if this came from God or if it just came from within me and leave. I can't deny what I felt, nor can I fully explain it.

Thanks for your encouragement, I will keep reading and studying His Word.

Christine,
Try to contact some Bible Schools and inquire about a scholarship program.

One I know for sure that has such a program is Liberty Univeristy in Lynchburg Virginia.

Several schools now have at home classes over the inet and they work really well.

Oh! This is SO encouraging! :D He truly does work in mysterious ways. maybe there's a lesson in that as well? That he is from a completely different denomination; that we shouldn't be against one another, but with each other? ^^

Listen darlin,
Go and investigate and unite with a Bible believing and teaching church that has a heart for mission work.
Ask them, the leadership if they would consider "sponcering" you to a Bible school.
Committ to them that when you are finished you will come and spend time helping them.

About 20 years ago, the church I was in did this for a young man and his family. We helped him financially, he also worked by the way, and when he finished his school, the church put him on staff as he was fluent in Spanish he brought in several hundred un-churched indivduals. He worked as an associate Pastor for a couple of years and them went to Mexico and now has a flourshing church.

“Beloved, do not believe every spirit, but test the spirits to see whether they are from God;
because many false prophets have gone out into the world.”
1 John 4:1

I have heard many people say how they "know" an occurance is from God. But the answers don't agree with Scriptures. I am not denying any claims made in this forum, but rather want to be more clear aand concise from visitors to avoid misunderstandings. I would like to go thru the list of different comments made one by one to hopefully create a more thorough and complete understanding.

1. "It was beautiful, so I knew it was from God."

Beauty is not an indication of God. Often in the Bible, messengers from God appeared very average, nothing special. In fact the Bible says, "many have unknowingly entertained angels. That suggests there was nothing outstanding about their appearance.

Morew striking is the fact that demons can appear as very beautiful creatures.

"And no wonder, for Satan himself masquerades as an angel of light."
2 Cor 11:14

I can't count how many times I've heard someone claim that they encountered a woman and because she was so beautiful they knew she was A. an angel from God or B. Mary the mother of Jesus. Beauty is not confirmation that an entity is from God.

We are instructed to test the spirits. (1 John 4:1) The following verses tell us one way we can discern:

2 This is how you can know the Spirit of God: every spirit that acknowledges Jesus Christ come in the flesh be longs to God,
3 and every spirit that does not acknowledge Jesus does not belong to God. This is the spirit of the antichrist that, as you heard, is to come, but in fact is already in the world.

Normally, I wouldn't suggest engaging an eveil spirit in conversation, but if you think it might be from God, test it. If it fails, command it in Jesus name to leave.

Great "test for spirits" as designed by GOD to separate His "chosen few" from the "many who are called," or to distinguish the "sheep" from the "goats."

* 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

* 1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

* 1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
HOW do we apply this TEST?
???
???

Great "test for spirits" as designed by GOD to separate His "chosen few" from the "many who are called," or to distinguish the "sheep" from the "goats."

* 1 John 4:1 Beloved, believe not every spirit, but try the spirits whether they are of God: because many false prophets are gone out into the world.

* 1 John 4:2 Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God:

* 1 John 4:3 And every spirit that confesseth not that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is not of God: and this is that spirit of antichrist, whereof ye have heard that it should come; and even now already is it in the world.
HOW do we apply this TEST?
???
???

Do you mean 1 Jo 4:2-3 or just 1 Jo 4:3?

I'll share a couple stories with you, if I may....hehehe " if I may".... you really can't stop me!

Story 1

Begins with my concern over things my mother used to say about God. She would say she didn't believe this or that in the Bible and I was concerned about her eternal future. My mother had even told me she didn't believe Jesus is God. She said Jesus denied that he was God.
One day I did the unthinkable (according to a lot of people) told her about 1 Jo 4:2 and how people who are condemned can't claim Jesus as their Lord and Savior. She said, "I don't know why not. They could lie."

This is where some people think I did something terrible:

I asked, " Can you say it?"

She said, " Why would I? I don't know that."

I said Try it. Say 'Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior!'"

She didn't get upset with me, but she either wouldn't or couldn't say those words.

Anyway, I stopped talking to my mother and started praying. One Day I slipped up and said something about God, and she said she would like to know what the Bible really says. I was floored becau\se she never wanted to know before!! She always told me she had already read the Bible and knew what it said.

I asked if she wanted to do a Bible study with me and for the fuirst time in my life she said, "yes' We studied every morning and one day, after I read Matthew about ask and you shall receive, etc. I paused to ask, as usual, do you have any questions or comments. She Said. "I was just thinking, I don't know what to ask for."
It was the first time in m y life my mother and I prayed together.

Afterward, I found oportunity to once again ask, "Can you say 'Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior?'"
And she said those beautiful words without hesitation!!!!

Most of the people here are probably sick of hearing this story, but I never get sick of telling it!!!!! Just so you know, I typed it really fast so as to minimize your pain LOL

Story 2

I can't remember what I was going to tell you..... but I have asked people if they can say those words, and I can predict accurately who will say it and who will refuse, after I spend time dialogging on forums with them. There are of course those who I can't say one way or another......

That statement is another one that can get people upset. But I am not trying to claim who is saved and who is not. I'm just saying the test has worked in my experience. People who deny Christ Jesus can't say those words.

I keep expecting someone who doesn't believe to say them just to spite me!!!! Especially, in a forum where they can copy and paste and not really have to say it.

But it wouldn't matter because they're saying it is not for my benefit -- it's for their's....so they know whether or not they are saved. At least that is why I said it out loud after reading these verses.

My experience has also been that those who refuse to say it when they claim they are saved get offended by my asking if they can. But those who do try and say it, say it proudly and when face to face, I can see the same fear in their eyes that I felt the first time. AND relief and joy when they find they can say it!!!!!

Why be offended? I've only experienced one person who could say it being offended, and she wasn't upset, she was gently sticking up for her fiance who refused to say the words and became very angry.

Ginger

I'll share a couple stories with you, if I may....hehehe " if I may".... you really can't stop me!

Story 1

Begins with my concern over things my mother used to say about God. She would say she didn't believe this or that in the Bible and I was concerned about her eternal future. My mother had even told me she didn't believe Jesus is God. She said Jesus denied that he was God.
One day I did the unthinkable (according to a lot of people) told her about 1 Jo 4:2 and how people who are condemned can't claim Jesus as their Lord and Savior. She said, "I don't know why not. They could lie."

She didn't get upset with me, but she either wouldn't or couldn't say those words.

Anyway, I stopped talking to my mother and started praying. One Day I slipped up and said something about God, and she said she would like to know what the Bible really says. I was floored becau\se she never wanted to know before!! She always told me she had already read the Bible and knew what it said.

I asked if she wanted to do a Bible study with me and for the fuirst time in my life she said, "yes' We studied every morning and one day, after I read Matthew about ask and you shall receive, etc. I paused to ask, as usual, do you have any questions or comments. She Said. "I was just thinking, I don't know what to ask for."

Afterward, I found oportunity to once again ask, "Can you say 'Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior?'"

Most of the people here are probably sick of hearing this story, but I never get sick of telling it!!!!! Just so you know, I typed it really fast so as to minimize your pain LOL

Story 2

I can't remember what I was going to tell you..... but I have asked people if they can say those words, and I can predict accurately who will say it and who will refuse, after I spend time dialogging on forums with them. There are of course those who I can't say one way or another......

That statement is another one that can get people upset. But I am not trying to claim who is saved and who is not. I'm just saying the test has worked in my experience. People who deny Christ Jesus can't say those words.

I keep expecting someone who doesn't believe to say them just to spite me!!!! Especially, in a forum where they can copy and paste and not really have to say it.

But it wouldn't matter because they're saying it is not for my benefit -- it's for their's....so they know whether or not they are saved. At least that is why I said it out loud after reading these verses.

My experience has also been that those who refuse to say it when they claim they are saved get offended by my asking if they can. But those who do try and say it, say it proudly and when face to face, I can see the same fear in their eyes that I felt the first time. AND relief and joy when they find they can say it!!!!!

Why be offended? I've only experienced one person who could say it being offended, and she wasn't upset, she was gently sticking up for her fiance who refused to say the words and became very angry.

Ginger

Ginger.......

Jesus Christ is my Lord and my Savior!!!

Major

Yes! Jesus Christ is my Lord and Savior!

It feels good to say it and to hear other people say it, too.
smile.png

Would anyone else like to join in proclaiming Jesus Christ as your Lord and Savior?

feel free in proclaiming the risen Christ!!!!!! :)

Story 1

Story 2

Ginger

My dad is like your mom in story one, he doesn't believe he is God, and thinks there are other ways to him.... and he kinda cheery picks the bible on certain subects.. like wives submiting to husbands and whatnot...*sigh* I guess all i can do ish pray ^^

Yes, pray,pray, pray, and watch for God to open a door of opportunity. Maybe He will send someone to your dad.

My second oldest daughter decided she didn't believe when she was in high school. She would ask me a question, challenging my faith, But as soon as I would try to explain she said she didn't want to listen.

How frustrating to be asked a question that seems to have an easy, clear answer, but the asker refuses to let you tell them!!!!!

Anyway, I prayed everyday that God would help me reach her. Then it dawned on me.....God will use whom He wants, however He wants. I started praying fore God to send someone to her, if not me anyone, because it's not important for me to be the one God uses......it's just important that God save her soul.

It wasn't long after that, I had come home from work weary. I laid down on the coach and she came home from school all excited. She told me of TWO public school teachers who shared their faith experiences with her that day ending by saying,"Isn't that cool, Mom!!!!" In that moment I realized God had answered my prayers.

Ginger

Ginger, I have gone over your comments and felt very happy in using the Scripture as basis. Yes, indeed, only God through His words can we depend on, not using the intellect and carried by emotion. Philosophy as applied to the word of God is human wisdon that He hates:

1 Cor1:19 For it is written, I will destroy the wisdom of the wise, and will bring to nothing the understanding of the prudent.

1 Cor 1:20 Where is the wise? where is the scribe? where is the disputer of this world? hath not God made foolish the wisdom of this world?

1 Cor 1:21 For after that in the wisdom of God the world by wisdom knew not God...

Emotion contrary to God's "intended meaning from His words" is very deceptive, and this is where Satan can win a person:

Jer 17:9 The heart is deceitful above all things, and desperately wicked: who can know it?

Amazing! I understand everything you're saying and just a week ago I couldn't understand a word.

I agree, fil. The heart being our human feelings and desires misleads us.

Amazing! I understand everything you're saying and just a week ago I couldn't understand a word.

I agree, fil. The heart being our human feelings and desires misleads us.

Ginger, would you consider what have now is a "miracle" from God that is "not seen" by many people?

Perhaps you read the following, but have not noticed before:

2 Cor 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal; but the things which are not seen are eternal.

Miracles are superior to "wonders" as demonstrated long time ago!

Exo 7:8 And the LORD spake unto Moses and unto Aaron, saying,

Exo 7:9 When Pharaoh shall speak unto you, saying, Shew a miracle for you: then thou shalt say unto Aaron, Take thy rod, and cast it before Pharaoh, and it shall become a serpent.

Exo 7:10 And Moses and Aaron went in unto Pharaoh, and they did so as the LORD had commanded: and Aaron cast down his rod before Pharaoh, and before his servants, and it became a serpent.

Exo 7:11 Then Pharaoh also called the wise men and the sorcerers: now the magicians of Egypt, they also did in like manner with their enchantments.

Exo 7:12 For they cast down every man his rod, and they became serpents: but Aaron's rod swallowed up their rods.

What do many people want to see and to have?

Miracles or wonders?

Ginger, would you consider what have now is a "miracle" from God that is "not seen" by many people?

Here you are a little fuzzy......are you saying, what you are preaching here is a miracle? Or that understanding the Word of God is a miracle because only those God has chosen understand?

Perhaps you read the following, but have not noticed before:
What do many people want to see and to have?

Miracles or wonders?

Oh, I read and noticed it and agree completely. In fact, I think I might have used this example yesterday when speaking about false prophets.

Here you are a little fuzzy......are you saying, what you are preaching here is a miracle? Or that understanding the Word of God is a miracle because only those God has chosen understand?

Oh, I read and noticed it and agree completely. In fact, I think I might have used this example yesterday when speaking about false prophets.

Ginger, exactly, you are on the right spiritual tract following what "God is revealing His intended message" from His words. Read this very carefully:

2 Cor 3:6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter (for the literal meaning), but of the spirit (for the spiritual meaning): for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

2 Cor 4:18 While we look not at the things which are seen, but at the things which are not seen: for the things which are seen are temporal (for the body); but the things which are not seen are eternal (for the soul).

Now the APPLICATION!

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

SALVATION is for the SOUL and not for the BODY!

DEMONSTRATION:

"Jesus Christ opened the "eyes of the man born blind."

Praise Father, Son and Holy Ghost! God is this unworthy wretches Lord and Savior! There is no life without Him. In Christ Alone! Grace plus nothing!

In Christ alone my hope is found
He is my light, my strength, my song
This Cornerstone, this solid ground
Firm through the fiercest drought and storm
What heights of love, what depths of peace
When fears are stilled, when strivings cease
My Comforter, my All in All
Here in the love of Christ I stand

In Christ alone, who took on flesh
Fullness of God in helpless babe
This gift of love and righteousness
Scorned by the ones He came to save