Discernment

Discernment is the ability to make judgments as to whether something is good or evil, of the Lord or of the enemy.

1 Thessalonians 5:21-22 is about discernment.

In the New American Standard it reads:

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good; abstain from every form of evil.

King James uses the word ‘Test’ instead of 'Examine':

but test everything; hold fast what is good. Abstain from every form of evil.

Both 'examine' and 'test' are active in that it is a particular effort made, not a passive expectation that the worth of something will be apparent at first glance..

This is beyond the simple applying of what we learned from our parents (or other care giver) regarding knowing what is proper. In the Christian’s case, it is augmented by the Spirit.

As far as whether we should want this gift:

I believe that the potential for every gift of ability resides in every believer, but differences in our lives make them bear fruit to differing extents.

All believers have the Spirit which is the source of the gifts indwelling in themselves, but it takes patience (another gift) and perseverance (yet another).

It is a mercy and a measure of God’s providence that each of us does not grow our spiritual gifts evenly and each to a maximum extent. The varying textures of our gifts bind us together, with the abilities of one complimenting with the needs of those around. None exhibit all gifts to the maximum. Each of us needs to be joined to other believers so that each of us contributes according to The Spirit to the whole.

Yesterday we discussed Wisdom. Today can we discuss discernment?
Why is discernment a gift? Shouldn't we all want discernment?

Greetings CoffeeDrinker
We all have the inner witnesses of the Holy Spirit but it takes learning to yield unto Him.

Now then there is also a gift of discernment that every believer should be praying for, especially in these crazy days where you never know what is going to be stuck in a message as filler or thinner to please the people.

Pastor taught me how important it is that we truly open ourselves up to the Father and ask that He would show us what is of Him and what is not.

In today's world we have Christians running around blaming God for the devils doings and saying things that are really of God as the devils doings.

Yes mam seek discernment and developers that inner witnesses.
Blessings
FCJ

There is really only one thing to discern, and that is the truth. We may think we also discern what is not true, but in fact it is simply vacant.
As a gift, discernment is a direct knowing of what is true. It is finding the truth which releases unconditional love for it.

However, there is another way of accessing the truth, and that is by unconditional love.
So do not worry if you do not have the gift of discernment, for unconditional love will lead you to be true.

In both cases each has access to truth and love.

Discernment is a gift that will often cause conflict.
It comes into play when God's people are being or have been misled (intentionally or ignorantly). For those who are younger in the faith and or those whose foundational doctrine is weaker, discernment provides a supernatural warning or direction that they might not otherwise see.

An excellent question to ask. Yes. We should all work at being discerned.
So then, what is discernment????? It is learning to think God’s thoughts after Him, practically and spiritually; it means having a sense of how things look in God’s eyes and seeing them in some measure “uncovered and laid bare” ( Heb. 4:13).

When asked when the world world end, Jesus answered in Matthew 24:4...……...
"See to it that no one deceives you, for many will come in my name saying "I am the Christ" and will deceive many".

The #1 sign of the last days then according to Jesus Christ will be "Religious Deception".

The Lord Jesus also told us in Matthew 7:22 that ……….
Many will say to Me in that day, Lord! Lord, Was it not in Your name that we prophesy, and in Your name cast out demons, and in Your name do many wonderful works? Then I will say to them, I never knew you. Depart from Me, workers of iniquity."

Jesus went on to say in Matthew 24: 24...........
"For false Christs and false prophets will appear and perform great signs and miracles to deceive even the elect - if that were possible."

Now, can "discernment" be a gift from God? Of course it can. God can and God does what He wants to do. However, IMO I would advice that we look to what God has written for our protection and through His written Word we will be able to discern evil from good.

Discernment actually comes from the root of Wisdom. Proverbs 8:8-9 says to us...…….
“All the words of my mouth are just; none of them is crooked or perverse. To the discerning all of them are right; they are faultless to those who have knowledge”.

Then the prophet Hosea said in 14:9...…...…"
"Seeking discernment is a goal for all who desire to walk righteously: “Who is wise? He will realize these things. Who is discerning? He will understand them. The ways of the LORD are right; the righteous walk in them, but the rebellious stumble in them”.

Discernment is a gift that will often cause conflict.
It comes into play when God's people are being or have been misled (intentionally or ignorantly). For those who are younger in the faith and or those whose foundational doctrine is weaker, discernment provides a supernatural warning or direction that they might not otherwise see.

Correct my brother.

2 Timothy 4:1-4…………..
"I charge thee therefore before God, and the Lord Jesus Christ, who shall judge the quick and the dead at his appearing and his kingdom; Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all long suffering and doctrine. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but after their own lusts shall they heap to themselves teachers, having itching ears; And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables."

Now the question must be...….."What is Truth" that we would turn from so as to be deceived??????

Psalm 119:160 ......….
"
The sum of your word is truth, and every one of your righteous rules endures forever."

Daniel 10:21...……….
"
But I will tell you what is inscribed in the book of truth: there is none who contends by my side against these except Michael, your prince."

John 17:17...………..
"
Sanctify them in the truth; your word is truth."

Ephesians 1:13-14 ...........
"
In him you also, when you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation, and believed in him, were sealed with the promised Holy Spirit, who is the guarantee of our inheritance until we acquire possession of it, to the praise of his glory."

Personally I think that the time Paul was talking about has arrived.

Why is discernment a gift, because it is given by God. IT is up to us to use it though.

Shouldnt we all want discernement. Well yes, although God gives different gifts at different times of our lives and gives different gifts to each person in the body of Christ so that we can help each other. If everyone had all the same gifts we wouldnt need each other. Also new believers are developing their spiritual gifts all the time. The gifts are given not necessarily for ourselves alone but to edify and encourage others.

If you need discernment you can ask for it. God always gives us what we need not necessarily what we want, but he does like it when we ask Him, for He is the giver of all good gifts.

Hello CoffeeDrinker;

Everyone's posts are a blessing to your thread, adding to our continued learning of discernment. God's developing our ability to discern is a lifetime process and in many situations we will learn to recognize God's leading, Satan's deceptions, the flesh versuses the Holy Spirit and all else that keeps us on the right track of His righteousness.

There will be times in life we will not discern correctly but this is how God corrects and grows us. Therefore, we shouldn't be so hard on ourselves.

What has helped me is the more time (its always my desire) spent with God has helped me gain more discernment.

God bless you, sister, and thank you for your thread from many many days ago. lol!

Why is discernment a gift, because it is given by God. IT is up to us to use it though.

Shouldnt we all want discernement. Well yes, although God gives different gifts at different times of our lives and gives different gifts to each person in the body of Christ so that we can help each other. If everyone had all the same gifts we wouldnt need each other. Also new believers are developing their spiritual gifts all the time. The gifts are given not necessarily for ourselves alone but to edify and encourage others.

If you need discernment you can ask for it. God always gives us what we need not necessarily what we want, but he does like it when we ask Him, for He is the giver of all good gifts.

Agreed.

Once again a good thread and many good reply's.

Yes, discernment is God given and (IMO) one of the gifts that is given to all who seek the Holy truth, for without discernment (wisdom) I do believe it is impossible to rightly divide the truths written in the Holy Fathers letter to us and one of His commandments is (study to show thyself approved, rightly dividing the word of truth), so it seems to me that we already have this gift at Holy birth, but many fail to use it or exercise it as the apostle Paul taught we should.
Solely relying upon Sunday school or the pastors Sunday morning sermons just want cut it, for the commandment was unto each of us personally, and the Holy Father is a rewarder of those who obey His commandments with diligence.

Another gift to strive for which I do believe is just as important as discernment is "Patients", for without patients, I do believe that we will squash (greatly hinder) discernment which is of the Holy Spirit and fail to achieve the Lord's goal for us.

God Bless

JTF

Another gift to strive for which I do believe is just as important as discernment is "Patients", for without patients, I do believe that we will squash (greatly hinder) discernment which is of the Holy Spirit and fail to achieve the Lord's goal for us.
I believe you are talking about Patience.
Biblical Patience is simply being the same constantly at all times.
Nothing moves you. This is when Faith can Work.

Patience a gift? Hardly.....look.at James
knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Now in the Amp
Consider it nothing but joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you fall into various trials. 3 Be assured that the testing of your faith [through experience] produces endurance [leading to spiritual maturity, and inner peace].
4 And let endurance have its perfect result and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfect and completely developed [in your faith], lacking in nothing.

Biblical Patience is The Key to Standing.
It's Developed not Prayed in or a gift you may receive.

Blessings

I believe you are talking about Patience.
Biblical Patience is simply being the same constantly at all times.
Nothing moves you. This is when Faith can Work.

Patience a gift? Hardly.....look.at James
knowing this, that the trying of your faith worketh patience.
4 But let patience have her perfect work, that ye may be perfect and entire, wanting nothing

Now in the Amp
Consider it nothing but joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you fall into various trials. 3 Be assured that the testing of your faith [through experience] produces endurance [leading to spiritual maturity, and inner peace].
4 And let endurance have its perfect result and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfect and completely developed [in your faith], lacking in nothing.

Biblical Patience is The Key to Standing.
It's Developed not Prayed in or a gift you may receive.

Blessings
isnt patience one of the fruits of the holy spirit listed in Galatians 5:22??
In some bibles its translated as forbearance or long-suffering.

A gift is different from a fruit though.

isnt patience one of the fruits of the holy spirit listed in Galatians 5:22??
In some bibles its translated as forbearance or long-suffering.

A gift is different from a fruit though.
But the fruit of the [Holy] Spirit [the work which His presence within accomplishes] is love, joy (gladness), peace, patience (an even temper, forbearance), kindness, goodness (benevolence), faithfulness,

Gentleness (meekness, humility), self-control (self-restraint, continence). Against such things there is no law [that can bring a charge].

All Need To Be Developed !!
Fruit needs to be Developed
Gift needs to be Developed
I.E.....Free Gift of Salvation
We must Work Out or Develop our own Salvation.
Blessings
FCJ

What do you think makes a fruit different than a gift?

1 Corinthians 12:7 says...…..
" But the manifestation of the Spirit is given to every man to profit withal."

That is saying that spiritual gifts are one of the manifestations of the Holy Spirit's existance in the life of a born again believer.

Galatians 5:22-23...……..
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, longsuffering, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, temperance: against such there is no law.

That refers to the Fruit of the Spirit that are behavior attitudes which come from the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

So then, the “fruit of the Spirit” deals with attitude; gifts of the Spirit deal with "action in service."

Both are indications that the Holy Spirit is present in a person’s life.

Once again a good thread and many good reply's.

Yes, discernment is God given and (IMO) one of the gifts that is given to all who seek the Holy truth, for without discernment (wisdom) I do believe it is impossible to rightly divide the truths written in the Holy Fathers letter to us and one of His commandments is (study to show thyself approved, rightly dividing the word of truth), so it seems to me that we already have this gift at Holy birth, but many fail to use it or exercise it as the apostle Paul taught we should.
Solely relying upon Sunday school or the pastors Sunday morning sermons just want cut it, for the commandment was unto each of us personally, and the Holy Father is a rewarder of those who obey His commandments with diligence.

God Bless

JTF
IMO, the key to being able to "stand" against the wiles and tricks of Satan rests in our ability to discern every area of our lives as a Christian.

If you and I are going to live a life which does not compromise God and His written Word we must be able to know right from wrong so that we can distinguish the error of false teachings which surround us all today.

You see, false religious teaching then leads to an unbiblical mindset, which results in unfruitful and disobedient living-a certain recipe for compromise. This is IMO where a lot of Christians stumble. It has been a long standing fact that when we reject the truth of God's Word we will then fall for anything that comes along.

The people who fall into this trap actually exhibit little ability to measure the things they are taught against the infallible standard of God's Word, and they unwittingly engage in all kinds of unbiblical decision-making and behavior. In short, they are not armed to take a decidedly biblical stand against the onslaught of unbiblical thinking and attitudes that face them throughout their day.

They are then unable to "Stand".

Back