Do you believe in possibility of miraculous healing through faith

Status
Not open for further replies.
From the NIV Biblical Theology Study Bible... "Scholars almost universally agree that this section is a later attempt, perhaps by a second-century scribe, to rectify the perceived problem of v. 8 (see note on v. 8). The earliest and best manuscripts do not have these verses; they are unknown to a number of early church fathers; and the vocabulary and style differ from the rest of Mark."

Agreed!

The only thing is however......there the long version is in the Bible and is in ALL the translations.

Agreed!

The only thing is however......there the long version is in the Bible and is in ALL the translations.

I think it's appropriate to include it in every translation as long as there is a footnote or some other notation that states that it is most probably a later addition to the gospel.

From the NIV Biblical Theology Study Bible... "Scholars almost universally agree that this section is a later attempt, perhaps by a second-century scribe, to rectify the perceived problem of v. 8 (see note on v. 8). The earliest and best manuscripts do not have these verses; they are unknown to a number of early church fathers; and the vocabulary and style differ from the rest of Mark."
Think that we all seem to be in agreement that the sign gifts were given to just the Apostles to confirm the Gospel and Lord Jesus!

Think that we all seem to be in agreement that the sign gifts were given to just the Apostles to confirm the Gospel and Lord Jesus!

The so-called "sign gifts" are described only in the "long ending" of Mark. That in itself should make it unreliable as Scripture.

Mark 16:17-18, "These signs will accompany those who believe [not just apostles]: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages; they will pick up snakes with their hands[!], and whatever poison they drink will not harm them[!]; they will place their hands on the sick and they will be well.”

Picking up [venomous] snakes and drinking poison are dangerous behaviors that could result in death. Nobody, then or now, should indulge in these supposed Scriptural practices!

It's interesting that driving out demons, speaking new languages, and placing hands on the sick are the only practices that are accepted, while the others are not (by sane people). What other parts of Scripture should be ignored?

The so-called "sign gifts" are described only in the "long ending" of Mark. That in itself should make it unreliable as Scripture.

Mark 16:17-18, "These signs will accompany those who believe [not just apostles]: In my name they will drive out demons; they will speak in new languages; they will pick up snakes with their hands[!], and whatever poison they drink will not harm them[!]; they will place their hands on the sick and they will be well.”

Picking up [venomous] snakes and drinking poison are dangerous behaviors that could result in death. Nobody, then or now, should indulge in these supposed Scriptural practices!

It's interesting that driving out demons, speaking new languages, and placing hands on the sick are the only practices that are accepted, while the others are not (by sane people). What other parts of Scripture should be ignored?

Why should any part of scripture be ignored? All scripture is inspired of God (2Tim 3:16).

A gift is a gift. God chooses who, how, when and where. God knows the why. What we can understand comes form God through his word and through the Holy Spirit.

1 Corinthians 12 and 14 speak of a diversity of gifts

• Working of Miracles
  • Discerning of Spirits
  • Tongues
  • Interpreting Tongues
  • Prophecy
  • Many other gifts generalized

God hasn't chosen to give certain gifts at this time. Does that mean he will not in the future? I happen to believe a time is coming in which he will again.

Why should any part of scripture be ignored? All scripture is inspired of God (2Tim 3:16).

A gift is a gift. God chooses who, how, when and where. God knows the why. What we can understand comes form God through his word and through the Holy Spirit.

• Working of Miracles
  • Discerning of Spirits
  • Tongues
  • Interpreting Tongues
  • Prophecy

God hasn't chosen to give certain gifts at this time. Does that mean he will not in the future? I happen to believe a time is coming in which he will again.

There is more evidence that the "long ending" of Mark's gospel is a later addition to the Gospel, probably added by a zealous scribe. It is debatable about whether this addition should be considered scripture, which is why the great majority of translations add it with a caveat. If "all scripture is inspired by God" then why do certain denominations add the apocrypha to their Bibles and some don't? Also, when Paul wrote to Timothy there was no New Testament,

God gifts are not limited by time, so I believe that all the gifts (except those in Mark 16) are present in the body of Christ, a.k.a., the church at the present time.

• Working of Miracles
  • Discerning of Spirits
  • Tongues
  • Interpreting Tongues
  • Prophecy

Hello CPerkins;

Well said, and it aligns with my personal conviction.

Brothers and sisters, my Spiritual gift is Helps from 1 Corinthians 12:28 but I always argued and separated this from the miraculous healing through faith.

Through the years God has grown and matured me in the areas of my life that needed correcting. BIG TIME! But my personal choice to read the Word and Text References did help me learn being a disciple of Christ.

Then by the prompting of the Holy Spirit I was led to an open heart of all Scripture that is God breathed reference 2 Timothy 3:16-17. With all Scripture that is God breathed is not one dimensional nor limited to the Spiritual gift of healing.

I realized that the Spiritual Gifts, talents, skills and abilities given to all of us can result in miraculous healing through faith. Again, I argued this for many years but God is infinite and can use one Scripture to connect to another. Our ordained gifts given to us by God isn't just to bless another, but can also "heal" others.

Miraculous healing through faith include miracles of rekindling and reconnecting relationships that were estranged for some time, miracles of a long-time love, forgiveness, physical or Spiritual healing within, or between family, or a friendship that somehow broke down, something that we would not have expected.

I truly believe God is anointing gifts, especially during these times. Let's all continue to stand firm in our faith and studies.

God bless you all, brothers and sisters, your families and Merry Christmas.

Paul and Peter did healings themselves in Acts, correct?

There is more evidence that the "long ending" of Mark's gospel is a later addition to the Gospel, probably added by a zealous scribe. It is debatable about whether this addition should be considered scripture, which is why the great majority of translations add it with a caveat. If "all scripture is inspired by God" then why do certain denominations add the apocrypha to their Bibles and some don't? Also, when Paul wrote to Timothy there was no New Testament,

God gifts are not limited by time, so I believe that all the gifts (except those in Mark 16) are present in the body of Christ, a.k.a., the church at the present time.
we who deny sign gifts are for today do see all of the other gifts still in operation, as we need those gifted to teach, exhort/encourage, give, lead etc!

Hello CPerkins;

Well said, and it aligns with my personal conviction.

Brothers and sisters, my Spiritual gift is Helps from 1 Corinthians 12:28 but I always argued and separated this from the miraculous healing through faith.

Through the years God has grown and matured me in the areas of my life that needed correcting. BIG TIME! But my personal choice to read the Word and Text References did help me learn being a disciple of Christ.

Then by the prompting of the Holy Spirit I was led to an open heart of all Scripture that is God breathed reference 2 Timothy 3:16-17. With all Scripture that is God breathed is not one dimensional nor limited to the Spiritual gift of healing.

I realized that the Spiritual Gifts, talents, skills and abilities given to all of us can result in miraculous healing through faith. Again, I argued this for many years but God is infinite and can use one Scripture to connect to another. Our ordained gifts given to us by God isn't just to bless another, but can also "heal" others.

Miraculous healing through faith include miracles of rekindling and reconnecting relationships that were estranged for some time, miracles of a long-time love, forgiveness, physical or Spiritual healing within, or between family, or a friendship that somehow broke down, something that we would not have expected.

I truly believe God is anointing gifts, especially during these times. Let's all continue to stand firm in our faith and studies.

God bless you all, brothers and sisters, your families and Merry Christmas.
I know Gid still can heal today, and do miracles, but see VDERY little evidence among those who claim it the loudest today!

There is more evidence that the "long ending" of Mark's gospel is a later addition to the Gospel, probably added by a zealous scribe. It is debatable about whether this addition should be considered scripture, which is why the great majority of translations add it with a caveat.

That is a longer discussion and I'm not certain I would want to discuss it in a thread regarding gifts and healing.

If "all scripture is inspired by God" then why do certain denominations add the apocrypha to their Bibles and some don't?

I can't answer for other denominations. I strive to look to God's word for truth. While the Bible was written by the hands of many men we are told that they were inspired of God. When Christ was tempted with bread, he told Satan that man should not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God (Deut 8:3, Mat 4:4). Every word of God is pure (Prov 30:5).

As to the canon of scripture that is another longer discussion.

Also, when Paul wrote to Timothy there was no New Testament,

The New Testament church had Christ who is the Word (logos). The instructions that we have received as the New Testament while not written yet, were spoken of by eye witnesses giving accounts of Christ, the apostles had miraculous gifts giving evidence of their inspiration from God. The evidence was very clear to those living at that time. Today we have the New Testament.

Is there any scripture that says that every gift will be present in every age of the church? I'm not aware of any.

Hello YeshuaFan;

Thank you for sharing your interesting thoughts. Please elaborate where I blue-lighted.

God bless you, YeshuaFan, your family and Merry Christmas.
The word of faith proclaim that they have been raised up to display thbise sign gifts today, but see little to no actual evidence for any healings or miracles in their midst!

That is a longer discussion and I'm not certain I would want to discuss it in a thread regarding gifts and healing.

I can't answer for other denominations. I strive to look to God's word for truth. While the Bible was written by the hands of many men we are told that they were inspired of God. When Christ was tempted with bread, he told Satan that man should not live by bread alone but by every word that proceeds out of the mouth of God (Deut 8:3, Mat 4:4). Every word of God is pure (Prov 30:5).

As to the canon of scripture that is another longer discussion.

The New Testament church had Christ who is the Word (logos). The instructions that we have received as the New Testament while not written yet, were spoken of by eye witnesses giving accounts of Christ, the apostles had miraculous gifts giving evidence of their inspiration from God. The evidence was very clear to those living at that time. Today we have the New Testament.

Is there any scripture that says that every gift will be present in every age of the church? I'm not aware of any.
The sign gifts seem to be waning even at end of pauls life, as he did not heal Timothy!

• Working of Miracles
  • Discerning of Spirits
  • Tongues
  • Interpreting Tongues
  • Prophecy

All of these gifts are "alive and well" in 2020.

All of these gifts are "alive and well" in 2020.

Not sure what you mean by "all"

If you mean that all of God's children have various gifts of the Spirit, then I agree.
If you mean that every gift is present in the world today, then I'm not sure how you can know that especially sense most of the gifts are very general in nature.

I'm sure that every gift that men need to do the work of God is present today. We are told we can ask for specific gifts. We are also told about the body of Christ here and that each of us have different functions within that body.

Not sure what you mean by "all"

If you mean that all of God's children have various gifts of the Spirit, then I agree.
If you mean that every gift is present in the world today, then I'm not sure how you can know that especially sense most of the gifts are very general in nature.

I'm sure that every gift that men need to do the work of God is present today. We are told we can ask for specific gifts. We are also told about the body of Christ here and that each of us have different functions within that body.
No sign gifts today, as no real Apostles today here to have them!

No sign gifts today, as no real Apostles today here to have them!

The sign gifts seem to be waning even at end of pauls life, as he did not heal Timothy!

God tell us about spiritual gifts outside of Mark 16. Spiritual gifts are present today. In what forms they are present I only have my own experiences to draw on with any comfort. I know God has given me faith and some other gifts. I do not know of any true faith healers, but does that mean there are no [spiritual gifts[/B], no.

Sign Gifts is a term coined outside of the Bible and I prefer God's words whenever possible.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back