Do you see a difference?

Hi,

Just want to get everyone's opinion on Psalms 10:4. I want to know if you see a difference of meaning between these two versions of the same verse.

"The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts."(KJV)

"The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts."(NKJV)

Now, to me these versions seem to present different ideas in the last part.
The KJV seems to be saying that a wicked man does not have his thoughts always on God, as if to say that some of his thoughts are on God or could be on God. The NKJV seems to say that the wicked never think of God. I find that the difference makes things confusing as to what is actually trying to be conveyed in the word of God here. Now, if I dig deeper I could come to the conclusion that the KJV is using two ideas as a means of contrast while the NKJV is just being more direct with it's language. Although this still bothers me because if this is the case then I would come away with two different ideas depending on which version I read, if I didn't think to dig deeper. This is the problem I have with having so many different versions.

What do you guys think?

I think you think to much !!
Mykuhl look at it this way. There are 52 states in the USA. You can go from state to state and dilects change and words and meaning change to some degree but in the end it all means the same thing. It is called culture.

Those two verses say the same thing but just a little differently. Please don't get so caught up in trying to find these things or prove this or that. It is the written word of God and we all know it is best to use several versions as we grow and learn...

God Bless My friend
Jim

As i read the two verses...i do not see a different meaning. To me it is just like jim said....just a different way to say the same thing. I had that issue in the past, but as i kept meditating on the different versions...i found that they were all saying the same thing.

Blessings!

I think you think to much !!
Mykuhl look at it this way. There are 52 states in the USA. You can go from state to state and dilects change and words and meaning change to some degree but in the end it all means the same thing. It is called culture.

Those two verses say the same thing but just a little differently. Please don't get so caught up in trying to find these things or prove this or that. It is the written word of God and we all know it is best to use several versions as we grow and learn...

God Bless My friend
Jim
Jim, Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to prove this or that. It just kinda bugs me that different versions seem to say different things sometimes. It just makes understanding the true meaning more difficult. That is why I am sometimes put off by the fact that we have so many versions.

Jim, Don't get me wrong I'm not trying to prove this or that. It just kinda bugs me that different versions seem to say different things sometimes. It just makes understanding the true meaning more difficult. That is why I am sometimes put off by the fact that we have so many versions.
Ahhhhhhh Mykuhl me Friend I have been waiting for this..........lol
I really did not think you were or would get hung up in doing such a thing but it neverless the thought was to come out.

Instead of getting worked up about thee many versons - try getting all ohhhhh yeaaaaa about it and tell your self that every one dont thinks like me so there gots to be more ways of sayen things. ; )
Blessing my friend.
Hope your week end was a blessed and peaceful one
Jim

As i read the two verses...i do not see a different meaning. To me it is just like jim said....just a different way to say the same thing. I had that issue in the past, but as i kept meditating on the different versions...i found that they were all saying the same thing.

Blessings!
Just to give you an idea as to what went through my mind when I pondered the KJV version: a person because of pride doesn't seek after God and doesn't keep God on his mind at all times. He is wicked because his pride prevents him from doing so. So, in turn a righteous man seeks after God always and always keeps His thoughts on God. I don't get these ideas by reading the NKJV.

I know it can be confusing to learn the writing style of the different translations....but i believe it is so that people can find the one that best suits them, and get the most out of it.

Just like having many different flavors of ice cream...everyone can choose their favorite.:LOL:

I know it can be confusing to learn the writing style of the different translations....but i believe it is so that people can find the one that best suits them, and get the most out of it.

Just like having many different flavors of ice cream...everyone can choose their favorite.[emoji38]
But that makes it hard to find the REAL flavour of ice cream![emoji28]

Just to give you an idea as to what went through my mind when I pondered the KJV version: a person because of pride doesn't seek after God and doesn't keep God on his mind at all times. He is wicked because his pride prevents him from doing so. So, in turn a righteous man seeks after God always and always keeps His thoughts on God. I don't get these ideas by reading the NKJV.

So for you this nkjv should not be your first choice......... rofl

Hi,

Just want to get everyone's opinion on Psalms 10:4. I want to know if you see a difference of meaning between these two versions of the same verse.

"The wicked, through the pride of his countenance, will not seek after God: God is not in all his thoughts."(KJV)

"The wicked in his proud countenance does not seek God; God is in none of his thoughts."(NKJV)

Now, to me these versions seem to present different ideas in the last part.
The KJV seems to be saying that a wicked man does not have his thoughts always on God, as if to say that some of his thoughts are on God or could be on God. The NKJV seems to say that the wicked never think of God. I find that the difference makes things confusing as to what is actually trying to be conveyed in the word of God here. Now, if I dig deeper I could come to the conclusion that the KJV is using two ideas as a means of contrast while the NKJV is just being more direct with it's language. Although this still bothers me because if this is the case then I would come away with two different ideas depending on which version I read, if I didn't think to dig deeper. This is the problem I have with having so many different versions.

What do you guys think?
To me they are both saying the same thing. The NKJV is one version is don't use a lot, in fact rarely do I ever read it. I mostly use the KJV, and I also like the ESV, but I do have many others translations that I once in a while refer to.

Sounds like the kjv is the one that speaks to you the most.

For me i have come to enjoy the kjv, but like when i first get up and reading my devotions....my brain doesn't always understand it, so i will read the nlt or niv. But i do know that every one is different.

But that makes it hard to find the REAL flavour of ice cream![emoji28]
2 Timothy 2:15 KJV Notice no New in this......15 Study to shew thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
That is the way to find the "real flavour" of ice cream

Sounds like the kjv is the one that speaks to you the most.

For me i have come to enjoy the kjv, but like when i first get up and reading my devotions....my brain doesn't always understand it, so i will read the nlt or niv. But i do know that every one is different.
I used to mainly use the KJV but I hardly ever use it anymore, I generally find it harder to understand.

Back