Do You Think The Bible Was Written By Men To Keep People In Line??

But how do we know for sure that it's god word? What if it's all written by people. What if they made it all up?
Why would they make it up? Why would people go through all the trouble in the old testament if God didn't exist? Why build a temple? Or sacrifice your livestock? Why make up the son of God to be crucified and risen again? Who would even come up with this stuff?

Why would they make it up? Why would people go through all the trouble in the old testament if God didn't exist? Why build a temple? Or sacrifice your livestock? Why make up the son of God to be crucified and risen again? Who would even come up with this stuff?
For the same reasons people made up other things. Maybe they had their reasons. Look at the laws now, they were made up for reasons as well. I don't know I'm speculating cuz I have questions myself. I'm just looking at different possibilities.

For the same reasons people made up other things. Maybe they had their reasons. Look at the laws now, they were made up for reasons as well. I don't know I'm speculating cuz I have questions myself. I'm just looking at different possibilities.
Why? Aren't you a Christian?

But how do we know for sure that it's god word? What if it's all written by people. What if they made it all up?
What other book ever has depth upon depth, life upon life.

"For the word of God is alive and active. Sharper than any double-edged sword, it penetrates even to dividing soul and spirit, joints and marrow; it judges the thoughts and attitudes of the heart." (Hebrews 4:12).

Those of us who are saved, who are baptized into the holy Spirit, have the whole bible written in our hearts. The same life that is in the bible (the power and truth of God) is in the believer (that is the Holy Spirit is in the believer in the power and truth of God) and testifies to the life in the bible so we know from God's Spirit in us that the bible is God's life in truth. The words when we read them come alive matching scripture upon scripture, yet we can match one scripture with a bunch of scriptures one day and take the same one scripture and match it with a bunch of scriptures another day and on and on and there is never contradictions.

"This is the covenant I will make with them after that time, says the Lord. I will put my laws in their hearts, and I will write them on their minds (Hebrews 10:16).

4But when the kindness of God our Savior and His love for mankind appeared, 5He saved us, not on the basis of deeds which we have done in righteousness, but according to His mercy, by the washing of regeneration and renewing by the Holy Spirit, 6whom He poured out upon us richly through Jesus Christ our Savior (Titus 3:5). A saved person is washed of their sins and the Holy Spirit keeps renewing life and truth in them since the Holy Spirit is fire that purifies and water that cleanses.

He who believes in Me, as the Scripture said, 'From his innermost being will flow rivers of living water.'" 39But this He spoke of the Spirit (John 7:39).

John the baptist speaking of Jesus said, "After me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire" (Matthew 3:11).

True salvation isn't just believing from knowledge because it sounds good, true salvation is believing from real faith because the truth of who Jesus is (God in the flesh) who died to pay our sin debts and raise us to life as new creations is real spiritual truth to the person and they know it as truth. The same is with the bible. We know the bible as real spiritual truth. This truth is not dogmatism of belief. Rather it is spiritual life from God.

Well first one begins to see its truth and must consider its message. The Old Testament has many prophecies that prove it is divine in its truth. It also bears witness as the law to the fact that we are all sinners. But the message of the New Testament is that of Christ Jesus and when one knows they are a sinner hears the gospel they either believe or reject Him. If one receives Him they also receive the Holy Spirit that comes and proves the Word of God to that person. No person who does not have the Holy Spirit will be able to believe the Bible in its complete truth. I would also say that this book "the bible" has been tested like no other by every sort of man or group...Its truth is without defeat..no man has been able to defeat it because it is a product of God.

Well first one begins to see its truth and must consider its message. The Old Testament has many prophecies that prove it is divine in its truth. It also bears witness as the law to the fact that we are all sinners. But the message of the New Testament is that of Christ Jesus and when one knows they are a sinner hears the gospel they either believe or reject Him. If one receives Him they also receive the Holy Spirit that comes and proves the Word of God to that person. No person who does not have the Holy Spirit will be able to believe the Bible in its complete truth. I would also say that this book "the bible" has been tested like no other by every sort of man or group...Its truth is without defeat..no man has been able to defeat it because it is a product of God.
How about the missing scriptures? The ones that people say are in the Vatican and they won't release them. What about the books written by he other prophets like Mary that were not put in the bible? What about other people like davinci and his code that were able to predict things that are happening and have happened?

I've posted this in another thread but I will post it again here. The story below made me know, without a doubt that the Bible is very important for Christians. I had never had an experience like it before or since.

I woke up one morning and heard my wife in the bathroom talking. She was on the phone and I could hear that it she was talking to her brother because she had it on speaker phone. Her brother told her to come and sit on the bed with me, and she did. Her brother said that we were together for a reason and other things. He asked me if I had any questions and I said no (which I will always regret) and then he hung up. Later my wife's brother called back and had no idea what he had said or what happened. He just knew that he had a strong urge to call her and then he sort of blacked out. God was speaking to us through my wife's brother.My wife admitted to me that a few days prior to that she had decided that reading her Bible was a waste of time and she wasn't going to do it anymore. Well, God wasn't having any of that!

Obviously not everyone has these experiences and that's okay, but just the fact that the Bible is a record of our God makes it enough to be worthy of daily reading.

Like others have said, it would be impossible for all the authors to form a coherent story as they never met.

Also, think about what happens when you try to pass a message through word of mouth, it eventually gets changed into something else. The Bible was copied over and over again probably thousands of times and ALL of the manuscripts we've found teach that Jesus is God. What are the chances that all manuscripts from all these sources just happen to to tell the same story? I'd say that the odds are pretty amazing.

It's fine to want more knowledge. I would say it's even fine to read the Bible with a critical eye as long as you keep your heart open. I'm not saying that you won't find things that look like contradictions, but keep in mind that inerrancy doesn't account for scribal errors. The main story is in tact and true.

Sorry for the rambling,
David

How about the missing scriptures? The ones that people say are in the Vatican and they won't release them. What about the books written by he other prophets like Mary that were not put in the bible? What about other people like davinci and his code that were able to predict things that are happening and have happened?
Well I am pretty well informed of the scriptures in regards to who has them and from what source? It is not possible the RCC could have secret "missing" scriptures, because they did not have control of the scriptures as they spread throughout the known world. And I have seen no evidence of Divinci being a prophet? And of course there are false prophets "just as the bible declares"

Apparently something has a veil over your ears...for example do you really think (like CW pointed out) that over 30 different authors (from all walks of life, both genders, from three continents, speaking different languages) having their experiences over a 1500 year period of time (many of whom never knew one another) could concoct a hoax or even a story that includes verifiable supernatural predictions that in fact came/come/and will come true that when their stories and writings were brought together (that in itself not being humanly possible) they all would mysteriously possess one major theme all pointing to one event in history (the Christ events) after which all point back to (even those yet to come, many of which have been actually historically fulfilled) that event? Do you realize what you are saying? What the odds are? Even just a portion of these gives us odds BEYOND Mathematical probability (1 in 10 to the 50)....it is more likely the Sun will just poof into non-existence and then re-appear...in other words it is not possible yet IT IS...

Men pushed the pens but the Spirit breathed into them those insights and events to record...then against all odds they were all brought together into one Biblios (library)

So let me put in modern secular terms...say a scientist makes an observation...over time many other scientists reveal the same discovery, and all the findings of these over 30 scientists, totally agree...Would you doubt it? NO! So why doubt this?

Apparently something has a veil over your ears...for example do you really think (like CW pointed out) that over 30 different authors (from all walks of life, both genders, from three continents, speaking different languages) having their experiences over a 1500 year period of time (many of whom never knew one another) could concoct a hoax or even a story that includes verifiable supernatural predictions that in fact came/come/and will come true that when their stories and writings were brought together (that in itself not being humanly possible) they all would mysteriously possess one major theme all pointing to one event in history (the Christ events) after which all point back to (even those yet to come, many of which have been actually historically fulfilled) that event? Do you realize what you are saying? What the odds are? Even just a portion of these gives us odds BEYOND Mathematical probability (1 in 10 to the 50)....it is more likely the Sun will just poof into non-existence and then re-appear...in other words it is not possible yet IT IS...

Men pushed the pens but the Spirit breathed into them those insights and events to record...then against all odds they were all brought together into one Biblios (library)

So let me put in modern secular terms...say a scientist makes an observation...over time many other scientists reveal the same discovery, and all the findings of these over 30 scientists, totally agree...Would you doubt it? NO! So why doubt this?
Unless it's about creation ;).

Brian, that doesn't help anyone with true anxiety.

As for the question, no. I don't believe that the Bible was written as a rule book at all and rather a story of love.

Even if the only part of the Bible we had was one of the Gospels I still think we would be fine.

Hmm...it helps me and I have 'true' anxiety :)

Maybe "severe" anxiety is better word. I memorized all those verses about anxiety, kept a small bible in my back pocket that I read every time I felt anxious and it still didn't help. I can barely go grocery shopping by myself without feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack.

Maybe "severe" anxiety is better word. I memorized all those verses about anxiety, kept a small bible in my back pocket that I read every time I felt anxious and it still didn't help. I can barely go grocery shopping by myself without feeling like I'm about to have a heart attack.

That is indeed a better word, mine is general, not severe, but it still affects me. I don't want to hijack this thread with our anxiety issues :), but if you want to discuss this topic further, please PM me.

Check out this bible verse, I am a believer in god but when I read this I started thinking...maybe the bible was written to keep people in line. Because if the world was doing the things that are mentioned in the verse below it would be a crazy world and we'd kill each other off. Here's the verse,
19 Now the works of the flesh are evident: sexual immorality, impurity, sensuality,
20 idolatry, sorcery, enmity, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, rivalries, dissensions, divisions,
21 envy, drunkenness, orgies, and things like these. I warn you, as I warned you before, that those who do such things will not inherit the kingdom of God.

That is kind of like saying.......did God create man or did man create God?

Because it was written by 43 men over 1500 years apart and every word fits like a glove. It was written by men! Men that were directed and used by the Holy Spirit to convey the wishes and desires of God for humanity.

Because it was written by 43 men over 1500 years apart and every word fits like a glove. It was written by men! Men that were directed and used by the Holy Spirit to convey the wishes and desires of God for humanity.

If the universe was created by a Big Bang, and some unbelievers suggest, than the Bible must have been created n similar fashion;
you know, words just exploded out of the mouth of men, and someone (who knows who) just grabbed some of thos words at random and...voila!...the Bible!

Back