Do you use orignal languages in bible study and teaching?

CPerkins

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dec 5, 2020
Seattle, WA
We should be thankful that with internet and bible software just about anyone can dig into the Hebrew and Greek texts well enough to learn something new!

I agree. Many do not have the ability in one way or another to go out and purchase the many resources available. Also there are those unaware of the resources available.

Thank God for this blessing.

Nov 18, 2020
Macomb Michigan
I agree. Many do not have the ability in one way or another to go out and purchase the many resources available. Also there are those unaware of the resources available.

Thank God for this blessing.
The only real danger is that one can think there are "experts" now with using these resources, and still hard work to really learn and use Greek and hebrew!

• Praying
Reactions: CPerkins
Jan 18, 2021
Milw. Wisconsin.
At times though there are nuances in the Hebrew and Greek words that just cannot be fully fleshed out in English translations!

I would agree but that is not the case with a few select. They change the whole government of God by changing or adding to one word …The #1 culprit is the world “apostle” which simply in English means "sent one" with no other meaning added .

.Sent one in the Hebrew is not left in its original the meaning is clear. One sent with the will of another

In that way if the word is used correctly Abel were the first recorded apostle as sent with and by God. And also Abel is the first witness that died serving the faith.as a martyr. The word martyr in that way is simply the word “witness” with no other meaning added .Saints that die are given a higher authority falsely by many .All believer die a witness to the work of Christ that does work in us. .. According to some an apostle is a word connected to a succession of a hierarchy of venerable men. (law of the fathers a pagan foundation ) The more power that they can add to word the better chance of mankind seeking their approval and not God who; lovingly commands us to study in order to seek His approval

The way many miss use the word apostle they simply are called an Abomination of desolation. Making the word of God without effect Its power to seek the approval of God is made desolate. A repeat performance of the garden of Eden. “You shall not surely die” look at me and live who needs to seek after the things not seen(faith)

Nov 18, 2020
Macomb Michigan
I would agree but that is not the case with a few select. They change the whole government of God by changing or adding to one word …The #1 culprit is the world “apostle” which simply in English means "sent one" with no other meaning added .

.Sent one in the Hebrew is not left in its original the meaning is clear. One sent with the will of another

In that way if the word is used correctly Abel were the first recorded apostle as sent with and by God. And also Abel is the first witness that died serving the faith.as a martyr. The word martyr in that way is simply the word “witness” with no other meaning added .Saints that die are given a higher authority falsely by many .All believer die a witness to the work of Christ that does work in us. .. According to some an apostle is a word connected to a succession of a hierarchy of venerable men. (law of the fathers a pagan foundation ) The more power that they can add to word the better chance of mankind seeking their approval and not God who; lovingly commands us to study in order to seek His approval

The way many miss use the word apostle they simply are called an Abomination of desolation. Making the word of God without effect Its power to seek the approval of God is made desolate. A repeat performance of the garden of Eden. “You shall not surely die” look at me and live who needs to seek after the things not seen(faith)
There is Apostle of Christ, who were inspired to speak and write foreth theology, and apostles in the since of modern day missionaries!

Dec 19, 2014
New Zealand
www.literatelibrarian.com
No because I then have to learn the whole language and speak it as well, to get the meaning. I think it's easier with a good translation to get the Bible than confuse myself further.

What I do find good is to read about the culture and historical context of the Bible in those times and the land, customs, foods, etc. So learning how they lived in those times that the Bible was written.

I do have a lonely planet Hebrew phrase and dicitionary, but I haven't used it much. It's interesting to dip into now and then, but I find a good Bible Dicitionary can help me with unfamiliar words and phrases.

Nov 18, 2020
Macomb Michigan
No because I then have to learn the whole language and speak it as well, to get the meaning. I think it's easier with a good translation to get the Bible than confuse myself further.

What I do find good is to read about the culture and historical context of the Bible in those times and the land, customs, foods, etc. So learning how they lived in those times that the Bible was written.

I do have a lonely planet Hebrew phrase and dicitionary, but I haven't used it much. It's interesting to dip into now and then, but I find a good Bible Dicitionary can help me with unfamiliar words and phrases.
The New Bible Dictionary 3rd edition is a good one!

Feb 4, 2021
Chattanooga, Tennessee
Sometimes only the original language can bring out a significant fact. When I was studying Hebrew in seminary, we translated the story of Joseph from the Hebrew. One thing I discovered was that Potipher was Pharaoh's "chief executioner" (head of security), and the title of Joseph's jailer was "chief executioner". This clarifies the relationship between Joseph and his jailer--the jailer was Potipher! Potipher had never believed his wife's charges against Joseph, but custom dictated that he take action against the accused slave.

Nov 18, 2020
Macomb Michigan
Sometimes only the original language can bring out a significant fact. When I was studying Hebrew in seminary, we translated the story of Joseph from the Hebrew. One thing I discovered was that Potipher was Pharaoh's "chief executioner" (head of security), and the title of Joseph's jailer was "chief executioner". This clarifies the relationship between Joseph and his jailer--the jailer was Potipher! Potipher had never believed his wife's charges against Joseph, but custom dictated that he take action against the accused slave.
Even in that was Providence, as Pharoah trusted in Potipher enough to allow him to spare Joseph life!