Does Church Attendance Equal To A High Spiritual Level?

Some church leaders say that if the church in the book of Acts could meet everyday, whats so hard about attending church x3 a week for Sunday Service, Prayer, and Bible Study.

What are your thoughts? If you are a medical doctor, a mother of x amount of kids, an accountant, in business etc, how practical is this and does God condemn you if you just cant spend your life in church?

I am also of the school of thought that says your spiritual growth is your personal responsibility between you and God, church should be attended just to confirm whats in you.

Hit me with your views

I agree... we are DEAD to the law - even pseudo-NT laws. Men like to feel power over others. Church gathering is to worship God together, learn from one another, help one another in our weaknesses, and support the needy. Yes, you can all of this on your own, but then you might be robbing someone from helping another without your presence, but none of this makes you more or less spiritual because you attend a building... there are a LOT of false preachers!

I think a lot of people would have you to believe that going to Church (a physical building) is something you do your entire life. It is not suppose to be a career but a place where you go to learn how to really go to Church (a spiritual building) and then you go out and teach others how to do the same.

Some church leaders say that if the church in the book of Acts could meet everyday, whats so hard about attending church x3 a week for Sunday Service, Prayer, and Bible Study.

What are your thoughts? If you are a medical doctor, a mother of x amount of kids, an accountant, in business etc, how practical is this and does God condemn you if you just cant spend your life in church?

I am also of the school of thought that says your spiritual growth is your personal responsibility between you and God, church should be attended just to confirm whats in you.

Hit me with your views
I agree.. However, I would be very careful to not underestimate the importance of fellowship among believers.. Paul in NT stresses often the importance of mutual encouragement and being in constant fellowship.. As long as we go to Church seeking the right things (and not taking it like a legalistic need to show our face to Lord!!), it would be great.. More the better..

I think when we really understand the importance of fellowship, we automatically will strive to spend more time in Church.. It is like we should not tell lies.. Not because it a written law, but because we don't want to tell lies. Our heart is in the direction of holiness, due to work of Holy Spirit.. Same is the case with going to Church..

Hit me with your views

Hello and great question. I'd say there are many who attend church religiously having no relationship with Christ and other who attend even more because they're so on fire for God. I believe judging at their fruit is the key however each and every book in the NT was written to churches and overseers of churches and much of the teaching centres around that relationship in the assembly so assembling face to face with other believers is important. i would hope that any Christian, would attend an assembly because of their own personal relationship with Jesus Christ and that they'd come as much as they feel possible but being in church everynight, okay if you can do it but for most of us, we've got 9-5 jobs and children to take care of which God expects us to fulfill. After all, your closest neighbour is your family and we need to put them first. Hope this has been helpful.....

Thanks all for your insight.

This question came up because there is a difference between those who serve in the church and the rest of us. If by being in church constantly they are fulfilling their call, then I also need to be at my station fulfilling my call.

Of course we should never neglect the fellowship of the brethren. But for me personally meeting x2 a week (on Sunday for church and then weekday for bible study is perfect) for me.

I just cant deal with the pressure of you feeling ungodly or unchristian simply because you are not in church on Friday, on Saturday, on Sunday....

But thanks for your views
I appreciate them.

Imagine being a medical doctor or CEO in church always.

I am ok with being there, I just think that God has soldiers in every arena in life, and its important that you don't get your call mixed up with others. Others who by being church workers are also doing their Job/Call. So if you as a medical doctor get confused then what happens to the people you are meant to heal?

Or a wife who is married but is never home in the evenings for her husband and children? Balance is key.

Imagine being a medical doctor or CEO in church always.

I am ok with being there, I just think that God has soldiers in every arena in life, and its important that you don't get your call mixed up with others. Others who by being church workers are also doing their Job/Call. So if you as a medical doctor get confused then what happens to the people you are meant to heal?

Or a wife who is married but is never home in the evenings for her husband and children? Balance is key.
Please study 1 Cor 12...

1 Corinthians 12:14 (KJV)
For the body is not one member, but many.

Several times, throughout writing this answer, I nearly wiped it all out,
because it looks like I am bragging. Well, that was not my intention.
This is just the way it is. I wish everyone had such opportunities.​

I wish I could go to my place of worship more often, but it's not going to happen until I retire. I come home too tired. But it offers many different things, not just "church," so I wish I could go.

Our Sabbath activities are:
10:30 am worship service
12:30 pm study of the book of Romans
3:30 pm teachings of various kinds, usually from the Tanakh

The weeks, depending upon the year, are like this:
Monday evening, Hebrew dance class; philosophy
Tuesday evening, two levels of Hebrew language classes
Wednesday evening, study of the book of Matthew
Thursday evening, two levels of Greek language classes
And throughout this, classes are offered on the Internet.

Wow. Looking back at this, I am ashamed. The fact is that this is based on other years; I don't even know what is being offered right now, because I only show up for the things offered on Sabbath, and even then not always for everything.
But if a church offered a schedule of services and classes, people (younger than I am) would likely be excited to go!

Thanks all for your insight.

This question came up because there is a difference between those who serve in the church and the rest of us. If by being in church constantly they are fulfilling their call, then I also need to be at my station fulfilling my call.

Of course we should never neglect the fellowship of the brethren. But for me personally meeting x2 a week (on Sunday for church and then weekday for bible study is perfect) for me.

I just cant deal with the pressure of you feeling ungodly or unchristian simply because you are not in church on Friday, on Saturday, on Sunday....

But thanks for your views
I appreciate them.

Hello, absolutely agree, there's no real right or wrong, you need to follow what God lays on your heart to do. Seen too many good Christians in the past who have felt this tremendous weight to be there all the time and their feelings of other judging. Doesn't happen in ours, family comes first an each individual decides for themselves.....

There is a new way in which we can have fellowship with one another other then having to get in our car and drive some where. The Apostle Paul knew this and operated in it, as he tells us here.

5* For though I be absent in the flesh, yet am I with you in the spirit, joying and beholding your order, and the stedfastness of your faith in Christ.
6* As ye have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk ye in him:

As we have received Christ we need to learn how also to walk in him. Walking in Christ is not using our our two feet to get us some where, but to live and dwell in the Spirit where we are never apart from each other. Sitting on the right hand of God in Christ is not a fantasy as some might think. Being able to come before the throne room of grace is also a place our two feet can not take us. God,s glory was given unto the Church for this very purpose. His Glory goes through out all time, and it is a world without end. The Book of Hebrews tells us exactly where this Glory has brought us to.

Hebrews 12:22
But you have come unto mount Zion, and unto the city of the living God. The Heavenly Jerusalem, and to the innumerable company of angels, to the general assembly and Church of the firstborn, which are written in Heaven, and to God the judge of all, and to the spirits of just men perfect. and unto Jesus the mediator of the New Covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Able.

This is Church right here. This is were we become perfect. This is the general assembly and Church of the first born. A gathering together of the saints that our two feet can not bring us to, but his Glory can, and does.

Hit me with your views

Church attendance can be paralleled to spiritual depth. But then so too can religiosity.

I am an accountant with a baby and one on the way. I go to church 4 times a week (sometimes 5).

Yes, we can grow very deep spiritually alone. But that would then lead us to more church attendance....as when we are spiritually deep we won't see it as church ''attendance'', but rather as 1. time to study the word properly with respected / qualified elders, 2. be washed by our Christian family, 3. to wash, help and share with our Christian family and 4. for the breaking of bread in remembrance of Jesus.

I am reminded of Ecc 4:9-12 9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

Hello, absolutely agree, there's no real right or wrong, you need to follow what God lays on your heart to do. Seen too many good Christians in the past who have felt this tremendous weight to be there all the time and their feelings of other judging. Doesn't happen in ours, family comes first an each individual decides for themselves.....

Great stuff Christian. I think to each their own right? I just don't see why a wife would attend church x amount of times a week, especially if husband is unsaved. I am not judging but I would rather be home cooking dinner for him, and catching up on the day, probably running a hot bath for him as well. But my Sunday church and weekly bible study, and ministry I have to carry out for God would be uncompromisable.

I do get there are seasons, and that woman who is at church always probably needs something from God, I get that. I just don't see how spending 4 days a week in church can help your family? Especially also when every meeting seems to drag on and end after 3.5 to 4 hours?

Really guys?

Several times, throughout writing this answer, I nearly wiped it all out,
because it looks like I am bragging. Well, that was not my intention.
This is just the way it is. I wish everyone had such opportunities.​

I wish I could go to my place of worship more often, but it's not going to happen until I retire. I come home too tired. But it offers many different things, not just "church," so I wish I could go.

Our Sabbath activities are:
10:30 am worship service
12:30 pm study of the book of Romans
3:30 pm teachings of various kinds, usually from the Tanakh

The weeks, depending upon the year, are like this:
Monday evening, Hebrew dance class; philosophy
Tuesday evening, two levels of Hebrew language classes
Wednesday evening, study of the book of Matthew
Thursday evening, two levels of Greek language classes
And throughout this, classes are offered on the Internet.

Wow. Looking back at this, I am ashamed. The fact is that this is based on other years; I don't even know what is being offered right now, because I only show up for the things offered on Sabbath, and even then not always for everything.
But if a church offered a schedule of services and classes, people (younger than I am) would likely be excited to go!
wow what church do you go to? Seems awesome!

Church attendance can be paralleled to spiritual depth. But then so too can religiosity.

I am an accountant with a baby and one on the way. I go to church 4 times a week (sometimes 5).

Yes, we can grow very deep spiritually alone. But that would then lead us to more church attendance....as when we are spiritually deep we won't see it as church ''attendance'', but rather as 1. time to study the word properly with respected / qualified elders, 2. be washed by our Christian family, 3. to wash, help and share with our Christian family and 4. for the breaking of bread in remembrance of Jesus.

I am reminded of Ecc 4:9-12 9 Two are better than one, because they have a good return for their work: 10 If one falls down, his friend can help him up. But pity the man who falls and has no one to help him up! 11 Also, if two lie down together, they will keep warm. But how can one keep warm alone? 12 Though one may be overpowered, two can defend themselves. A cord of three strands is not quickly broken.

King I am also an accountant by profession and study. though now I no longer actively "account for monies". all I am saying is that when I was an accountant, I just never had the time. My days were 6.00 am to 19.00pm x6 days a week when things were good. I often however worked 80 hour weeks and could easily "sleep" at work or work 48 hours straight. I never could have gone to church a lot. Sunday was a stretch already as its the only free day I had.

God has been faithful thanks to Him I don't need to do that no more. But I do have medical doctor friends or lawyers who believe their mission field is their profession. to heal and help people. should they drop it all and just attend church?

I have also a little friend outside town who runs a little missionary place. as young as she is, she feeds the people there, runs a little school, by herself! bless her. she is fulfilling her call. her mission.

Bottom line we know what our calls are and they are so different. For one you might just be a wife or a stay at home mom (which I really want to be one day).

all I am saying is that your purpose must not be mixed up.

having said that J, I think you have a great church, its a family. and that's also a blessing. I can see how growth in Christ can be accelerated in such settings.

Blessings.

Merc

King I am also an accountant by profession and study. though now I no longer actively "account for monies". all I am saying is that when I was an accountant, I just never had the time. My days were 6.00 am to 19.00pm x6 days a week when things were good. I often however worked 80 hour weeks and could easily "sleep" at work or work 48 hours straight. I never could have gone to church a lot. Sunday was a stretch already as its the only free day I had.

God has been faithful thanks to Him I don't need to do that no more. But I do have medical doctor friends or lawyers who believe their mission field is their profession. to heal and help people. should they drop it all and just attend church?

I have also a little friend outside town who runs a little missionary place. as young as she is, she feeds the people there, runs a little school, by herself! bless her. she is fulfilling her call. her mission.

Bottom line we know what our calls are and they are so different. For one you might just be a wife or a stay at home mom (which I really want to be one day).

all I am saying is that your purpose must not be mixed up.

having said that J, I think you have a great church, its a family. and that's also a blessing. I can see how growth in Christ can be accelerated in such settings.

Blessings.

Merc
Your working hours... :eek: explain all.

Hit me with your views

Church attendance does not make you more spiritual than anyone else. The fact is........church membership gives you a vote in their business meetings and that is about all it does.

However, I believe every believer should be affliated with a local assembly of believers who are like minded. The reason why a church has 3 or 4 meetings a week is so that every has an opportunity to attend a LEAST one of them because we all have strange and challenging life styles and occupations. If you want to attend ALL of them....wonderful, but at the least you have time to go to one.

I've been growing spiritually for over a year from a really weak "believer" to the very strong believer I am today and I don't even want to go to church anymore, so I don't know if that's valid. I would like to go to church but every time I visit one I am reminded of why I didn't continue going to the last one.

I still try, and it would be great for there to be a good church somewhere around where I live, but I doubt that.

I've been growing spiritually for over a year from a really weak "believer" to the very strong believer I am today and I don't even want to go to church anymore, so I don't know if that's valid. I would like to go to church but every time I visit one I am reminded of why I didn't continue going to the last one.

I still try, and it would be great for there to be a good church somewhere around where I live, but I doubt that.
You make me worry about you bud!!!

If you can't find a good church, is the church the problem?

Hebrews 10:25 (NLT)
And let us not neglect our meeting together, as some people do, but encourage one another, especially now that the day of his return is drawing near.

We will not grow past the point of our disobedience to God.

There are good churches everywhere. We need to STOP trying to find one ourselves that meets our own personal criteria for what we think is good---and ask God to lead us to a good church---then allow Him to do that.

Back