Evangelism ¿ Say What

Greetings Everyone,
I thought it would be interesting to learn how everyone views this word called
Evangelism

So how about writing down what you believe Evangelism really is.

Thank You and have a Blessed Day!!

FCJ
This scripture comes to mind every time I hear or read the word "Evangelism"...

"Therefore, go and make disciples of all the nations, baptising them in the Name of the Father, and the Son and the Holy Spirit" - Matthew 28:19.

I believe that Evangelism is about proclaiming the Good News to whoever needs or wants to hear it. It's about being ready and available to share the Gospel of Jesus. I believe you also must be obedient to God's Word, study and muse on it and also be (Holy) Spirit led for when the opportunity arises.

Evangelism can take part anywhere, anytime, anyhow. It's important to meditate on God's Word in order to do it, and that what you share/preach aligns with the Word of God.

But remember;

"I (Paul) planted the seed in your hearts, and Apollos watered it, but it was God who made it grow." - 1 Corinthians 3:6.

Therefore we must remember that even though Evangelism may come at the initiation of the Evangelist but what's important is that only God can convict and convert that persons heart through the workings of the Holy Spirit and only God can make that seed (heart) grow.

Blessings.

Last edited:
Thank you Siloam Melizza
For your replies. I had hoped to get more members interested in this thread.

Reason being is quite simple.
Most folks hear the word evangelism and right off think big ministries or far off places but in All Truth......
Some of the very best evangelizing is done right in your own back yard.

Example........ throw a cook out and or picnic and invite neighbors and cashiers from your every day and some close personal friends.

Make a day of......can you believe they did that for every one day. Don't need to push religious views, I mean it's not a forum but a day of peaceful relaxing fun.

You would be amazed at all the doors that begin to open both there and then and down the road.

There are so many ways and I wanted to turn this thread in that direction.

Did you know some of the best evangelism has been done by some one just walking down the road and jumps in to help some one doing a strenuous task? Oh yes !!

The Love Of God
So thank you for your replies
Blessings
FCJ

Still wondering what is the difference between an "evangelist" an disciple of Christ. I mean I know there were given apostles, prophets, evangelist, pastor and teachers but we all are called to share the gospel so isn't that the calling of an evangelist?

Still wondering what is the difference between an "evangelist" an disciple of Christ. I mean I know there were given apostles, prophets, evangelist, pastor and teachers but we all are called to share the gospel so isn't that the calling of an evangelist?

As you said...every person is called to share the hope of the one who lives inside of them. And we all have stories and experience that can be beneficial to God getting to or touching a person's heart. Sometimes we have the ability to say or share things that can specifically relate to the person we are talking to (which is why it's so important to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit). And God sends us because the person we are talking to is having difficulty receiving from people who have never walked in the same situations they are or have been, that has left them hurt or bitter or just angry or turned off by God, because they hold Him responsible for the bad outcome of the situation.

But an evangelist has a gift to speak to multitudes and have mass results. Like Billy Graham, or Reinhart Bonke. An evangelist carries an anointing that can speak to a crowd, and is yielded to the Holy Spirit who does the convicting of people's hearts. They have a gift to draw a lot of people....but it is not necessarily by their testimony, but by the preaching of the Written Word of God.

I suppose you could say that each one of us can be used in the office of an evangelist, but that usage is normally on a personal or one on one level. Because each one of us has the Holy Spirit living in us, and those whom are yielded are used. But I believe the difference of the gift is the quantity of people saved at the same time.

Abundant kingdom Blessings to you and yours

As you said...every person is called to share the hope of the one who lives inside of them. And we all have stories and experience that can be beneficial to God getting to or touching a person's heart. Sometimes we have the ability to say or share things that can specifically relate to the person we are talking to (which is why it's so important to be sensitive to the Holy Spirit). And God sends us because the person we are talking to is having difficulty receiving from people who have never walked in the same situations they are or have been, that has left them hurt or bitter or just angry or turned off by God, because they hold Him responsible for the bad outcome of the situation.

But an evangelist has a gift to speak to multitudes and have mass results. Like Billy Graham, or Reinhart Bonke. An evangelist carries an anointing that can speak to a crowd, and is yielded to the Holy Spirit who does the convicting of people's hearts. They have a gift to draw a lot of people....but it is not necessarily by their testimony, but by the preaching of the Written Word of God.

I suppose you could say that each one of us can be used in the office of an evangelist, but that usage is normally on a personal or one on one level. Because each one of us has the Holy Spirit living in us, and those whom are yielded are used. But I believe the difference of the gift is the quantity of people saved at the same time.

Abundant kingdom Blessings to you and yours

That's true. Thank for sharing!

Hi Fish Catcher Jim,

I believe that an Evangelist is a preacher of the gospel, as has been said by an earlier responder.

'And the next day we that were of Paul's company departed, and came unto Caesarea:
and we entered into the house of Philip the evangelist,
which was one of the seven; and abode with him.'

(Act 21:8)

And He gave some, apostles; and some, prophets; and some, evangelists; and some, pastors and teachers;
For the perfecting of the saints, for the work of the ministry, for the edifying of the body of Christ:'

(Eph 4:11,12)

* These offices were Divinely appointed.
* I don't think it is correct to call individual testimony or witness to the gospel of Christ - evangelism.

Paul referred to himself as an, 'Apostle', 'Preacher', 'Teacher', yes; but I don't believe he ever called himself an Evangelist; yet he preached the good news of the gospel of the grace of God, and of the glory of Christ. Timothy was appointed as an Evangelist though:-

'But watch thou in all things, endure afflictions,
do the work of an evangelist, make full proof of thy ministry.'

(2Tim.4:5)

*What we think about this is of no importance, it is what Scripture says concerning it that matters isn't it?

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Hi Chris,
I mean no disrespect and perhaps if I read this a few more times it might help but never the less

*What exactly are you saying here?
It can read several ways so I need to understand what your saying.
Blessings
FCJ

Hi Chris,
I mean no disrespect and perhaps if I read this a few more times it might help but never the less

*What exactly are you saying here?
It can read several ways so I need to understand what your saying.
Blessings
FCJ

Hi Fish Catcher Jim,

I was in the process of deleting my post because it was ill thought out [eg., See Strong's Ref: G2099, G2097. (euaggelistēs & euaggelizō)], as you entered yours, so I will not answer your question at this time, except to say that I do not think that the word, Evangelist, is appropriate for personal testifying or personal witnessing to the gospel of Christ, I believe it is a specific role, a designated occupation.

In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Fish Catcher Jim,

I was in the process of deleting my post because it was ill thought out [eg., See Strong's Ref: G2099, G2097. (euaggelistēs & euaggelizō)], as you entered yours, so I will not answer your question at this time, except to say that I do not think that the word, Evangelist, is appropriate for personal testifying or personal witnessing to the gospel of Christ, I believe it is a specific role, a designated occupation.

In Christ Jesus
Chris
Hi Chris,
Evangelists is to a person
Evangelism or Evangelizing is to action there of doing.
Blessings
FCJ

I do not think that the word, Evangelist, is appropriate for personal testifying or personal witnessing to the gospel of Christ, I believe it is a specific role, a designated occupation.

I think there may be an important issue to discuss here.

There are those who are called to be evangelists as a major theme of their ministry.

This kind of evangelist should spend considerable time in preparation, both in reading and understanding scripture, and in understanding the needs of the unbelievers around him and how to present the gospel to meet those needs.

There are also Christians who, in the general interaction with persons around them have an opportunity to talk about what Christ has done in their life, and what He offers to people in general.

This kind of evangelist should be ready to describe how he came to know Christ, and what Christ has done in his life since.

Both are instances of evangelists.

There are some believers who feel that since they are not the first kind of evangelist, that they are relieved of being the second. These believers need to examine their motives.

May the Lord bless us with opportunities!
May we recognize those opportunities!!

so isn't that the calling of an evangelist?
In the Church the Holy Spirit gives out various gifts for the successful and proper spiritual functioning of the body of Christ.
Some to be pastors, some to be teachers, healings, faith, discernment, diverse tongues, interpretation, faith, etc, etc...

Evangelists have the gift of the gab. They just flow with the Spirit and talk Christ Jesus. Bob or Rita could witness to anybody
pretty well in any public situation. While we may all speak to another person about the gospel and share our testimony, most do
this intermittently now and then with people we get to meet.

But an evangelist is gifted to go boldly out into public places and proclaim the gospel and talk of these signs shall follow them that
believe to all and sundry.
The late great Bob Flannigan (who witnessed to me in a public shopping mall, and laid hands on me and prayed over me) was a master
gifted by God to say anything that could stop an unbeliever long enough to listen.
Bob would go up to people (in public) and say things like "One flash and your ash!" And then explain how Jesus could save them from
what was coming upon the world.

Rita walks up to people and simply asks them, "Do you Believe in God?" They respond, and she asks "Why not?" And away she goes...

The Holy Spirit gives evangelists in the Church a confidence and a zeal that the rest of us do not have in the same way. BUT there are nine
gifts of the Holy Spirit so we can all contribute to the growth and health and purpose of the body of Christ.

[B]Fish Catcher Jim[/B]
[B]Siloam[/B]
[B]Melizza[/B]
[B]Kristen Johnson[/B]
[B]loriT[/B]
[B]Cturtle[/B]
[B]Waggles[/B]

Hi there,

Into my mind comes the words of our Lord to the man who had been delivered from the possession of evil spirits in Mark 5:18,19, who dearly wanted to be with the Lord, and go where He went:-

'Howbeit Jesus suffered him not, but saith unto him,
"Go home to thy friends,
and tell them how great things the Lord hath done for thee,
and hath had compassion on thee."
And He departed, and began to publish in Decapolis
how great things Jesus had done for him:
and all men did marvel.'

(Mar 5:19,20)

* For the majority of us, that is all that we are required to do. It is not called 'evangelism', but simply witnessing, testifying to the saving power of God, in Christ Jesus.

'But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be ready always to give an answer
to every man that asketh you

a reason of the hope that is in you
with meekness and fear:'

(1Pet. 3:15)

* The Holy Spirit equips us for the task we are called upon to perform, whatever it may be.

'But unto every one of us is given grace
according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

(Eph 4:7)

'And He gave some, apostles;
and some, prophets;
and some, evangelists;
and some, pastors and teachers;
.. For the perfecting of the saints,
.... for the work of the ministry,
...... for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith,
and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
.. unto a perfect man,
.... unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children,
tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine,
by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
.. But speaking the truth in love,
.... may grow up into Him in all things,
...... which is the head, even Christ:'

(Eph 4:11-15)

* We can all, 'speak the truth in love' by God's grace, can't we? We need no epithet (re: 'Evangelist') ; other than the name of Christ which rests upon us. We can all 'manifest' it too, by our manner of life, and by the lovingkindness and grace of God which should characterise us, in Him.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Chris
[/USER]

Last edited:
'But what saith it?
.. "The word is nigh thee,
.... even in thy mouth,
...... and in thy heart:" -
(see.Deut.30:14)
That is, the word of faith, which we preach;
.. that if thou shalt confess with thy mouth - the Lord Jesus,

.... and shalt believe in thine heart - that God hath raised Him from the dead,
...... thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man - believeth unto righteousness;
and with the mouth - confession is made unto salvation.'

(Rom 10:8-10)

Praise God!

* This is the 'Word' that is in our mouths and in our hearts, this is what others receive as the overthrow of our fellowship with the Father and the Son by the Spirit: not only by our words and deeds, but by the love and grace which characterise us in Christ.

'... With all lowliness and meekness,
with longsuffering,
forbearing one another in love; ... '

(Eph 4:2)

Thank you
In Christ Jesus
Chris

Last edited:
Hi Chris I had a quiet time talk to God from the given verses: Thank so much Christ

(Mar 5:19,20)

I agreed that * For the majority of us, that is all that we are required to do. It is not called 'evangelism', but simply witnessing, testifying to the saving power of God, in Christ Jesus.
we are regarded to the Christ disciples, You are the light of the world ( Mt 5:14-16): in Mt 5: 17,' The purpose of the Law, was not abolish them, but to fulfil.'
Only the way be sanctified is through the Christ: john 14:6, Acts 4:12 and He is the King ( 1Jn 3:8).

i believe that it is so true that But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts:
and be ready always to give an answer
to every man that asketh you

a reason of the hope that is in you
with meekness and fear:'

(1Pet. 3:15)

* The Holy Spirit equips us for the task we are called upon to perform, whatever it may be.

'But unto every one of us is given grace
according to the measure of the gift of Christ.

(Eph 4:7):
'And He gave some, apostles;
and some, prophets;
and some, evangelists;
and some, pastors and teachers;
.. For the perfecting of the saints,
.... for the work of the ministry,
...... for the edifying of the body of Christ:
Till we all come in the unity of the faith,
and of the knowledge of the Son of God,
.. unto a perfect man,
.... unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
That we henceforth be no more children,
tossed to and fro, and carried about with every wind of doctrine,
by the sleight of men, and cunning craftiness, whereby they lie in wait to deceive;
.. But speaking the truth in love,
..I love that.. may grow up into Him in all things,
...... which is the head, even Christ:'

(Eph 4:11-15)

* We can all, 'speak the truth in love' by God's grace, can't we? We need no epithet (re: 'Evangelist') ; other than the name of Christ which rests upon us. We can all 'manifest' it too, by our manner of life, and by the lovingkindness and grace of God which should characterise us, Amen!!!

i am praying today that is the day, I deny myself and take up his cross and follow Jesus Christ.
and this makes me to think of Ph1:6 in our heart, the Christ who began a good works and will carry it on to the completion until the day of Christ.
He is not John Baptist, Elijah and Jeremiah but The Christ, the Son of the living God. until the day he will comes ( Mt 16:28) in accordance with in ( Mt 24:14) And this gospel of the kingdom will be preached in the whole world as a testimony to all nations, and then the end will come.

Praise His Holy Name!

In Christ Jesus
Jess

Evangelisum
the spreading of the Christian gospel by public preaching or personal witness.

We are All Called to be a witness through our lives by separating ourselves from the world and it's ways and growing more and more in Christ so as Christ can be seen in us.

Blessings

Witnessing--means testifying to what you have seen and heard.

So, I think of the lay person evangelizing people, but not being an actual evangelist. The person with the ministry like Billy Graham. So you can both evangelize and witness to someone at the same time.

I think Im correct here. If anybody really cares that much.

Back