For the sexually abused (Why didn't God protect me)

I was looking at this show (like a couple of mins ago) and a young girl on there asked, "why didn't God protect me when I needed Him the most'

and I wondered the same thing....
seeing as I myself have never been abused in any way shape or form...
but I have my own struggles and trials.. i wonder... why did it happen to her and not me ... you know?

what would you say to someone that... has been through this and asks this question?

Me, the only answer I could give is I don't understand why.

Working at at things from a different way, sometimes these days, I can ask myself, "how come God, you didn't have me killed or seriously injured years ago". I was never a genuine fast rider but in my early 20s, could do some cretinous things on two wheels. A memory is when I one night was taking someone on the back I wasn't licenced to, riding down the A5 at about 70mph and the pair of us laughing when the exhausts pipe hit the ground and we made sparks. I was an atheist then too.

Then and in a different way, I could ask why my father's parents made a decision during WWII. They usually went to one air raid shelter but that day decided to go to the other one. That day, their usual one took a direct hit and everyone inside it were killed.

OK, a few different things there and I don't mean to trivialise abuse. My part explanation is "God knows what he is doing" but I do feel that incomplete and can only say I am ignorant about some of the whys and wherefores in this wordl.

I was looking at this show (like a couple of mins ago) and a young girl on there asked, "why didn't God protect me when I needed Him the most'

but I have my own struggles and trials.. i wonder... why did it happen to her and not me ... you know?

what would you say to someone that... has been through this and asks this question?
Book of Job! You may not get an exact answer to your question.. But you will hear what Lord has to say :)

Good question! Without trivializing anyone's pain in any way, the only thing I can offer is, that's the way life is: a mixed bag. Sometimes the good die young, and the bad live long lives. Sometimes it's the other way around. And even though I read Psalm 91 where "a thousand shall fall at my right hand and ten thousand to the left, but no evil shall come near me," I know good and well, from my 58 years on this earth, that sometimes evil has indeed come near me. The longer I live, the more I realize that I don't have all the answers. But I do know that when bad things happen, I have a choice. After a time of necessary shock and grief, I can remain in it and get nowhere--meaning I'll never grow through it, and I won't be able to help someone out of a similar situation in the future--or I can go to God and ask Him to help me get over this, move on, and be useful to Him in the kingdom.

I went through some private trauma a few years back, and for a time I had PTSD because of it. I lost weight, I had almost uncontrollable "fight-or-flight" adrenaline rushes, I sometimes felt like I was teetering on the brink of losing my mind, as I tried (with excruciating effort) to keep the same cheery outlook that was normal for me. I decided early on, that I hated the feeling of utter defeat so much, and only God could get me out of it, that I went to Him in prayer and tears and song. God dished out relief to me a little at a time, as I could receive it, and I could feel my strength returning. In fact, I was strong enough to where I did not feel like disintegrating mentally, when I had a brief setback. I picked myself up, dusted myself off, went to God, and rehearsed only what I knew was true. There is nothing like the truth to show the lie for what it is.

I will never believe that God sends evil deliberately, because God and Satan do NOT work together. I believe that Christians are not immune to bad things happening in their lives. Just look at the martyrs. I also believe that we have a powerful healing available to us in horrible situations, that the world does not have--unless they come to Christ. And the world watches us (Christians) to see our reaction to the same situations they face, because they are looking for something different than the panic they are used to. I want to react in a way that gives them hope. I want the world to go after that which makes me strong, and His name is Jesus.

With adults the explanation is easy. With kids, mentally handicapped and even animals, it's not.

There are two kinds of adults in the world. Matt 12:30 Whoever is not with me is against me. God looks after His sheep Isa 40:11. MANY add Jesus to THEIR lives. MANY are NOT Christians. Free will ties God's hands. We have to understand that. When we from free will add God to our lives, His hands are tied from properly looking after us. When we from free will give God the keys to our whole house, His hands are untied.

So lets consider the worse case scenario. You are an adult in Africa and you are starving to death. How do you go from your current position to one where God actually helps you? What we do is we focus on the problem (no food) and try add God to that. Instead of losing our lives to God and have Him add food Matt 16:25. Ie. If we are starving to death we need to get on our knees and say ''God thank you for Jesus, thank you for making me, I give my life to you to do with as you please, may your will be done, even if its me dying here of starvation''. When we are Gods children.....everyone in heaven considers / looks at how God treats us / has certain expectations as they know / as we should also know that if we die, we go to be with God and sit face to face with Him drinking tea and eating scones. When that happens we will never be saying ''God you were evil to let me suffer and die as you did''. We will be saying ''thank you God for being with me in my suffering / or thank God for freeing me completely from my suffering''.

As for children, I think a 1000 pages of words are needed to properly understand how God can allow what Hitler did to Jewish children to take place. I think the main points would be ''free will for evil to do evil + God is with them in their suffering like Meshach, Shadrach and Abednego + heaven if they die''.

To begin, I am sorry that you were abused. I have never suffered as greatly as other people have, but I'm always inspired by those who have and still saw truth.

The short answer is that Christ never came to make us happy or comfortable or safe from harm. He came to make us holy.

I think back to the prisoners in Auschwitz or in North Korea or in the Middle East -- these are large groups of people of faith in God who, to them, it may seem as if God went absent. This is one of the most common argument's against God's existence; "Why do bad things happen to good people?" "How could a loving God do such a thing?"

God's purpose in our lives may call for us to live a safe and sound life or it may call for us to live in serious suffering. But what's important ultimately is that we do become holy -- that's His will.

I believe we will never be able to provide a satisfactory answer. Only God can comfort and eventually satisfy and remove the pain. I have so many questions for God for the incredible injustice, suffering all around us - the world, the people around us, ourselves. There are pains that are so intense that comfort word from others means nothing. There is a saying that " when I look to the next guy who have no feet, I am happy I have my feet but no shoe". Comparison of degree of suffering is meaningless to the one who is suffering. Personally I am dealing with a lot of pain and regret, after years of following Christ, thinking I am doing the right thing in actively participating in different ministries. Yet, my own family fell about while I am trying to save other souls. Why can not God just save my own family, make them a believer, why God always seem to use negative events to mold us. Can we have a happy ending for a change ? I can literally go insane by dwelling in these questions. I try not to think about this anymore. I recall this beautiful verse in the afternoon of 9/11 a preacher was quoting Revelation. May be only then when we are face to face with God, we will experience the ultimate peace and joy. But for now, do not question God, just solider on one day at a time. I know it is easier said then done.
Revelation 21: 1-4 " Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,” for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. 2 I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. 3 And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. 4 ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’ or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”

Isa 54:14 In righteousness you shall be established; you shall be far from oppression, for you shall not fear; and from terror, for it shall not come near you.
Isa 54:15 If anyone stirs up strife, it is not from me; whoever stirs up strife with you shall fall because of you.

The Lord gets blamed for a lot of things he did not cause. We live in a broken world, which is why we are to pray at all times, and keep our hearts set on the things above were Christ sets on the right hand of God. Doing these things will keep us in the love of God, and the Lord will not lead us into temptation. We are not ignorant of how the Devil works or his devices that are designed to devour the child of God. We have total victory over all the works of the enemy.

[QUOTE="CCW95A, post: 385622, member: 13727u

The Lord gets blamed for a lot of things he did not cause. We live in a broken world, which is why we are to pray at all times, and keep our hearts set on the things above were Christ sets on the right hand of God.[/QUOTE]

She didn't blame she just asked... " why didn't he protect me ? "

If "evil" people only harmed other "evil" people, it wouldn't be a problem.
The "innocent" suffer because we live in a corrupted world, where the evil ones are very busy and the supposedly good spend to much time sitting on their hands.
I'm sure that if I suggested that every rapist and child molester got a swift trial and a swifter hanging, that many would balk at such harsh justice. The world has this choice, either deal harshly with evil or live with it.
For the most part, our peers have chosen to live with evil.

[QUOTE="CCW95A, post: 385622, member: 13727u

The Lord gets blamed for a lot of things he did not cause. We live in a broken world, which is why we are to pray at all times, and keep our hearts set on the things above were Christ sets on the right hand of God.

She didn't blame she just asked... " why didn't he protect me ? "[/QUOTE]

The answer is clearly in scriptures. Working with a young man whom been serving the Lord, this very question was on his mind. Why did not God protect me when I was being molested by my step Father as a little boy. I cried to God day and night, and kept getting molested.

I had to actually go to God and get the answer to this mans Question. It was something He had between Him and God.

Now that I know more, I see the answer very clearly in the Word.

Pro 26:2 kjva As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.

Everything has a reason, those that said they don't know here, are really saying they did not take time to seek God for the answer. God gives wisdom to everyone that seeks him and holds it not back.

She didn't blame she just asked... " why didn't he protect me ? "

The answer is clearly in scriptures. Working with a young man whom been serving the Lord, this very question was on his mind. Why did not God protect me when I was being molested by my step Father as a little boy. I cried to God day and night, and kept getting molested.

I had to actually go to God and get the answer to this mans Question. It was something He had between Him and God.

Now that I know more, I see the answer very clearly in the Word.

Pro 26:2 kjva As the bird by wandering, as the swallow by flying, so the curse causeless shall not come.

Everything has a reason, those that said they don't know here, are really saying they did not take time to seek God for the answer. God gives wisdom to everyone that seeks him and holds it not back.[/QUOTE]

would you not consider if someone was expecting
God to protect them, and he does not, and then wants to know why he din't be considered blaming?

Last edited:
would you not consider if someone was expecting
God to protect them, and he does not, and then wants to know why he din't be considered blaming?

We don't wrestle against flesh and blood, and the girl ought to be thankful that God did not step in and protect her.

Why did not God help me is the throught that God could have done something, but did not. So, God did not care, or love me enough to help me, because God could care less about most of us anyway, and spends most his time golfing, and so misses 90% of those prayers for help.

God's fault. Could have did something, but did not.

The question is not why God did not do anything. The Question should be why could not God do anything.

People ask the wrong questions.

Wondering why someone did not help when they could is blameing. No matter how many reliegious flowers you put on top of it.

Wondering why someone did not help when they could is blameing. No matter how many reliegious flowers you put on top of it.

I think it's a reasonable question, many times anyway, to ask why God may not stop something when we know His ability. There is nothing wrong with contemplating why there is evil, what is evil, and why God grants us free will to go wrong when He knows what is right.

I'm not saying there isn't a perfectly sound answer to these -- in fact, most of us here have talked about this and seem to have an agreement on why this is...but it's still reasonable to ask and dive into, without the motives of the questions being a sense of blame.

I think it's a reasonable question, many times anyway, to ask why God may not stop something when we know His ability. There is nothing wrong with contemplating why there is evil, what is evil, and why God grants us free will to go wrong when He knows what is right.

I'm not saying there isn't a perfectly sound answer to these -- in fact, most of us here have talked about this and seem to have an agreement on why this is...but it's still reasonable to ask and dive into, without the motives of the questions being a sense of blame.

Not saying the question is not valid, though the wrong question. I ask God lots of stuff that normally turn out to be in scripture somewhere and perfectly clear.

To ask why God did not help, is saying God is at fault in some way.

The Person that did the molesting has a free will. That does not stop God from Protecting the child though, and can is more than able to do so.

So, since God could have done so, the question is not why God did not. But why God could not.

One lady we know had some guy take her 3 year old daughter who was sitting in the cart at the store. He rolled the cart outside to his van and tried to pull the child out of the cart. He pulled, moved the girl around, pulled some more and He could not just lift her out of the cart. That girl was supernatually tied to that shopping cart.

When they ran out of the store they saw the guy still trying pull the girl out of the cart and he saw them coming. He pushed the cart away, jumped in his van and took off.

The Police were able to catch him as they got a description of the van and plate.

another lady I know was watching her 5 year old play outside when the neighbors pit bull got loose and grabbed the child by the throat. She saw the whole thing and yelled, In the name of Jesus, that dog can't hurt my child.

The dog takes off with the child, jaws firmly around the neck of the child and the women ran out to chase the dog.

The dog flopped that kid all over the place shaking it's head with teeth firmly around the kids neck. The owner came out and the dog let the child go.

Not a tooth mark or even a scratch on the kid.

So the question is not why God won't, but why God can't.

Blessings.

By Faith, you have got this backwards. God CAN DO all things, but He does not do some things at some times.

Joh 16:24 kjva Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

Psa 78:41 kjva Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel.

You misunderstood what I said.......... I said God can do all things, the question is why Can't God always help?

Someone that does not take spiritual responsibility for their life, and hangs on to a no fault reliegion would not understand the question.

According to Scripture though, you ask, and recieve. I would recheck your bible.

Joh 16:24 kjva Hitherto have ye asked nothing in my name: ask, and ye shall receive, that your joy may be full.

Psa 78:41 kjva Yea, they turned back and tempted God, and limited the Holy One of Israel.

You misunderstood what I said.......... I said God can do all things, the question is why Can't God always help?

Someone that does not take spiritual responsibility for their life, and hangs on to a no fault reliegion would not understand the question.

According to Scripture though, you ask, and recieve. I would recheck your bible.

the question is why Can't God always help?
No, that is not the question. "can't" has nothing to do with the issue.

It's not that simple, the " ask and you get" flies in the face of reality. For many ask and do not get.
All is subject to the will of God. God is in no way required to cater to our wants. He is sovereign, not us.
Go check your own Bible.

There is more wisdom and mystery in a blade of grass than we can even imagine. Jesus suffered for the wicked, God too will use us to judge and protect the wicked. The lost are sanctified by us. We can not understand the blade, how can we even entertain the remotest idea that we are capable of rightly judging God. Our lives here are solely for Him and by faith we are more than overcomes. Time to act like it.

Back