How Do I Receive The Holy Spirit?

Right on. That's what you see with Paul in Acts 19 too.

I like referring to all the like chapter in Acts, like Acts chapter 2, 10, and 19 I am glad in The Word that when Luke wrote the Book of Acts there was not just one example, but multiple examples, of the proper steps to salvation, and that one of the main signs of being baptized with the Holy Ghost was speaking in tongues.

I like referring to all the like chapter in Acts, like Acts chapter 2, 10, and 19 I am glad in The Word that when Luke wrote the Book of Acts there was not just one example, but multiple examples, of the proper steps to salvation, and that one of the main signs of being baptized with the Holy Ghost was speaking in tongues.
AMEN !!

Charismatic's give me a chill ..
satan is very good at forgeries ..
but his forgeries have flaws ..
Charismatic.......wow that's NOT a Bible word !! It's a weak stereo type insult.......There are different types of tongues, but the initial evidence of receiving the Holy Ghost is speaking with tongues. OK smarty pants: if tongues is not the bona-fide Bible proof (which can be easily backed up scripturally) Then what is ????

In Acts chapter 10 when the Holy Ghost was first poured out upon the Gentiles, they received the Holy Ghost before being baptized in the ONLY one saving name of Jesus Christ.

I understand that concept as I ran into the same issue with my Apostolic Pastor friend. He said you can only be saved in the name of Jesus not like the others say in the name of the Father, Son and Holy Ghost.

I told him my faith was not dependent on what any man said and I speak in tongues, explain that.

He just said he does not understand everything.

I personally asked for the Holy Spirit then spent a bit longer seeking tongues. Once I saw they spake and the Holy Spirit was not going to force me then I was on my way. I had to by faith as being in a prison cell it's hard to find that Guy that does it in the Name of Jesus only.

If I was laying hands on someone though to receive the Holy Spirit, It would most definitely be in the Name of Jesus. There is no other name by which man may be saved (Acts 4) That is not to say I make a doctrine out of it or say it always must be that way as it was not that way for me, but I find it scriptural sound regardless.

Blessings.

Poor Banjo, our brother is perplexed and suffering, you all are arguing and his still hasn't had his question answered, sure brings to mind what Paul said, 1 Cor 13:1

Banjo my friend, if you are still here, I'll try to explain from Scripture so that it will make sense to you.

First you need to understand there are three words used in the Word to explain the work or action of the Holy Spirit in the lives of all humans, those three words are, with, in and upon.

The Holy Spirit is with a human to draw that person to Christ, John 14:16

When a person is born again the Holy Spirit lives in side of that person, John 20:22

When a born again believer is ready for ministry then the Holy Spirit comes upon that person Acts 1:8, 13:2

When we come to Christ as lost sinners destined for Hell and ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins and save us it is because the Holy Spirit is with us drawing us to Christ, after we are born again we have the Holy Spirit in side of us ( that is we have the Holy Spirit) so since we want to be identified with Jesus as Christian or Christ followers we are baptized, now the Word describes us as babies in Christ that need to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ to mature into children, then teenagers and finally adults 1 Jn 2:12-14. During this process of maturity we have the Holy Spirit, but He doesn't have us and He won't come upon us until we are ready to submit ourselves totally to Him, that's why Jesus told the disciples to tarry (wait) in Jerusalem for the Spirit to come upon them, if we carefully read the story we see there is a time of waiting before the Holy Spirit comes upon us for ministry, it always His timing and not ours

So to answer your question there is an illustration of receiving the Holy Spirit found in the story of Noah, the ark is a symbol or type of salvation, there was a door in the side of the ark Jn 10:7, Noah entered in and God shut the door, we read there was a window that Noah could open, the window was there for light, just like we are responsible for how much light we allow into our souls and then we read Noah sent out a dove, it came back with an olive leaf in it's beak and Noah reached out with his hand and took the dove and pulled her inside with him, the dove is used as a symbol or type of the Holy Spirit in the Word, so then it's an example for us to reach out in faith and take the Holy Spirit to us.

There is one more bird mentioned in this story, a raven, ravens eat carrion, that means there were dead bodies floating on the water, because the raven didn't come back to Noah, however we read the dove didn't find rest for her foot, and the word rest is used figuratively for a home, so, that is a lesson for us which means for a believer to have the Holy Spirit come upon them for ministry, He must be at rest, that is there is rest in the soul, his cleanup work has been accomplished, the believer is well grounded in doctrine, then the Holy Spirit has us and we can be used by Him as an instrument/tool to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

I hope that helps, I have tried to answer your question, but you have to receive in faith what the Holy Spirit is doing in your life where you are at today and learn to be patient and content whatever the circumstances may be, it's a growing process and we grow by faith and that takes time, may I suggest you continue reading the Word and allow the will of the Holy Spirit be accomplished in your life, He is faithful and will complete the work He has started.

Blessings,

Gene

Poor Banjo, our brother is perplexed and suffering, you all are arguing and his still hasn't had his question answered, sure brings to mind what Paul said, 1 Cor 13:1

Banjo my friend, if you are still here, I'll try to explain from Scripture so that it will make sense to you.

First you need to understand there are three words used in the Word to explain the work or action of the Holy Spirit in the lives of all humans, those three words are, with, in and upon.

The Holy Spirit is with a human to draw that person to Christ, John 14:16

When a person is born again the Holy Spirit lives in side of that person, John 20:22

When a born again believer is ready for ministry then the Holy Spirit comes upon that person Acts 1:8, 13:2

When we come to Christ as lost sinners destined for Hell and ask Jesus to forgive us of our sins and save us it is because the Holy Spirit is with us drawing us to Christ, after we are born again we have the Holy Spirit in side of us ( that is we have the Holy Spirit) so since we want to be identified with Jesus as Christian or Christ followers we are baptized, now the Word describes us as babies in Christ that need to grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ to mature into children, then teenagers and finally adults 1 Jn 2:12-14. During this process of maturity we have the Holy Spirit, but He doesn't have us and He won't come upon us until we are ready to submit ourselves totally to Him, that's why Jesus told the disciples to tarry (wait) in Jerusalem for the Spirit to come upon them, if we carefully read the story we see there is a time of waiting before the Holy Spirit comes upon us for ministry, it always His timing and not ours

So to answer your question there is an illustration of receiving the Holy Spirit found in the story of Noah, the ark is a symbol or type of salvation, there was a door in the side of the ark Jn 10:7, Noah entered in and God shut the door, we read there was a window that Noah could open, the window was there for light, just like we are responsible for how much light we allow into our souls and then we read Noah sent out a dove, it came back with an olive leaf in it's beak and Noah reached out with his hand and took the dove and pulled her inside with him, the dove is used as a symbol or type of the Holy Spirit in the Word, so then it's an example for us to reach out in faith and take the Holy Spirit to us.

There is one more bird mentioned in this story, a raven, ravens eat carrion, that means there were dead bodies floating on the water, because the raven didn't come back to Noah, however we read the dove didn't find rest for her foot, and the word rest is used figuratively for a home, so, that is a lesson for us which means for a believer to have the Holy Spirit come upon them for ministry, He must be at rest, that is there is rest in the soul, his cleanup work has been accomplished, the believer is well grounded in doctrine, then the Holy Spirit has us and we can be used by Him as an instrument/tool to bring glory to Jesus Christ.

I hope that helps, I have tried to answer your question, but you have to receive in faith what the Holy Spirit is doing in your life where you are at today and learn to be patient and content whatever the circumstances may be, it's a growing process and we grow by faith and that takes time, may I suggest you continue reading the Word and allow the will of the Holy Spirit be accomplished in your life, He is faithful and will complete the work He has started.

Blessings,

Gene
We are NOT born again "before" we receive the Holy Ghost, receiving the Holy Ghost is part of our salvation. John3:5 says we must be born of water (baptism in Jesus' name) and the Spirit (baptism of the Holy Ghost).
The Holy Ghost is not a spare tire or an optional gift - Romans 8:9 says without the Spirit of Christ, You're none of His.

We are NOT born again "before" we receive the Holy Ghost, receiving the Holy Ghost is part of our salvation.

Isn't that what I said????

John3:5 says we must be born of water (baptism in Jesus' name) and the Spirit (baptism of the Holy Ghost).

What version are you using that is translated that way?

This is what my KJ and Textus Receptus says,

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. John 3:5

Gene

Isn't that what I said????

What version are you using that is translated that way?

This is what my KJ and Textus Receptus says,

Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. John 3:5

Gene
My apologies...I use the King James - I did not include the whole verse.
I was picking up that you said "after" a person is born again then he can receive the Holy Ghost for ministry.......you wrote:
When a born again believer is ready for ministry then the Holy Spirit comes upon that person Acts 1:8; 13:2
Obedience to Acts 2:38 is essential : Repentance- Baptized In The Name Of Jesus Christ(for the remission of sins) and you shall receive the gift (or in-filling, baptism) of the Holy Ghost.

It is in the timing of you asking. To put it off as some automatic future event is going to keep you from ever being Baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues.
Just a few days ago, I felt a stirring of the Lord to tell my sister in the Lord that today was the day and Jesus baptized her in the Holy Spirit as I laid hands upon her head and she spoke in tongues, just as you see in the Bible. Never put off on God what He has already put on you - just ASK :)

No apologies necessary bro.

Then Peter said unto them, Repent, and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the remission of sins, and ye shall receive the gift of the Holy Ghost. Act 2:38

The key word in this verse is then, because Peter had given them the Gospel in vs 36,

Therefore let all the house of Israel know assuredly, that God hath made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified, both Lord and Christ.

In verse 37 we read they believed and were asking, "since we have killed the Messiah what are we going to do?"

Now when they heard this, they were pricked in their heart, and said unto Peter and to the rest of the apostles, Men and brethren, what shall we do?

Peter, remembering what Jesus had instructed them,

He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; Mark 16:16

Peter told them they needed to be baptized as a sign of identification of being a follower of Christ, repenting of the Jewish sacrificial system for the covering of sin and receive the Holy Spirit, No? (can't turn off the Italicizing)

Gene

It is in the timing of you asking. To put it off as some automatic future event is going to keep you from ever being Baptized in the Holy Spirit and speaking in tongues.

It is in the timing of the Holy Spirit, ...the gift of the Holy Spirit empowering the Church (coming upon) was given on the day of Pentecost, a one time event, however, any born again child of God can ask for the gift, but the timing is always up to the Holy Spirit

Evidence of receiving the gift or empowering or baptism of the Holy Spirit is the Agape love of the Holy Spirit manifested in our lives and walk with the people in the world Mark 5:43-47 (so, if a person really wants to know if they have the baptism of the Holy Spirit, then they should go ask their enemies if they see Jesus in them ...or some self-righteous pew warmer), not everyone who is empowered or baptized with the Holy Spirit speaks in tongues. 1 Cor 12:30

Gene

It is in the timing of the Holy Spirit, ...the gift of the Holy Spirit empowering the Church (coming upon) was given on the day of Pentecost, a one time event, however, any born again child of God can ask for the gift, but the timing is always up to the Holy Spirit

Evidence of receiving the gift or empowering or baptism of the Holy Spirit is the Agape love of the Holy Spirit manifested in our lives and walk with the people in the world Mark 5:43-47 (so, if a person really wants to know if they have the baptism of the Holy Spirit, then they should go ask their enemies if they see Jesus in them ...or some self-righteous pew warmer), not everyone who is empowered or baptized with the Holy Spirit speaks in tongues. 1 Cor 12:30

Gene
We're talking about the "initial" evidence of the Holy Ghost, not gifts of the Spirit or Fruit of the Spirit. Believe it or not there are alot of very good hearted, loving people that are not Spirit filled. A changed life, a good attitude, a loving spirit are NOT "initial" evidence of the baptism of the Holy Ghost. When a person is filled-----They will speak with tongues 100% of the time- No exceptions.

They will speak with tongues 100% of the time- No exceptions.

Sorry bro, can't go there with you on that, what do you do with the rhetorical question of Paul?

Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 1 Cor 12:30 ...Paul's would answer no

And when they had prayed, the place was shaken where they were assembled together; and they were all filled with the Holy Ghost, and they spake the word of God with boldness. Acts 4:31 they spoke the Word of God with boldness, they were filled with the Holy Spirit, but they didn't speak in tongues.

Here's something else to ponder, we are told there were 120 disciples, were they all in the upper room or was it just the 12, the question is, how many spoke in tongues, if it was just the 12 there is a problem because 16 languages were heard, if it was 120 then 104 didn't speak in tongues.

Scripture teaches that the coming upon of the Holy Spirit is for ministry, when the empowering is needed, yes the Holy Spirit is always with us and will never leave us, but the coming upon is for empowering of the ministry.

Gene

Sorry bro, can't go there with you on that, what do you do with the rhetorical question of Paul?

Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret? 1 Cor 12:30 ...Paul's would answer no

Your misreading that. You need to study everything Paul told the Corinthians, not select a verse here or there.

1Co 12:11 But all these worketh that one and the selfsame Spirit, dividing to every man severally as he will.

And God hath set some in the church, first apostles, secondarily prophets, thirdly teachers, after that miracles, then gifts of healings, helps, governments, diversities of tongues. Are all apostles? are all prophets? are all teachers? are all workers of miracles? Have all the gifts of healing? do all speak with tongues? do all interpret?
(1Co 12:28-30)

1Co 14:19 Yet in the church I had rather speak five words with my understanding, that by my voice I might teach others also, than ten thousand words in an unknown tongue.

For he that speaketh in an unknown tongue speaketh not unto men, but unto God: for no man understandeth him; howbeit in the spirit he speaketh mysteries. But he that prophesieth speaketh unto men to edification, and exhortation, and comfort. He that speaketh in an unknown tongue edifieth himself; but he that prophesieth edifieth the church. I would that ye all spake with tongues, but rather that ye prophesied: for greater is he that prophesieth than he that speaketh with tongues, except he interpret, that the church may receive edifying.
(1Co 14:2-5)

The whole key is keeping things in decent and in Order.
1Co 14:26 How is it then, brethren? when ye come together, every one of you hath a psalm, hath a doctrine, hath a tongue, hath a revelation, hath an interpretation. Let all things be done unto edifying.

When you come together as in Church, the Holy Spirit can divide to every man as HE WILLS
Paul said I wish you all spake in tongues...................... That means everyone can if they will seek. However in Church I would rather you speak prophecy as the Spirit wills because tongues helps nobody in Church.

Whoever speaks in tongues, let him speak to himself and to God for he speaks mysteries to God (Every believer needs this)

As the Spirit divides to every man they will operate "IN CHURCH" what they are given, decent and in Order.

Are all given tongues? NO.
Are all given prophecy? NO
Is everyone an Apostle? NO
Is everyone a Prophet, teacher or whatever? NO

IN CHURCH when you gather Together the Holy Spirit will distribute the gifts.

God has sat some "IN CHURCH" to operate in the gifts. (AS The Body)

Does that mean out of Church we can't speak tongues or give prophecy? of course not for speaking in tongues is edification to ourselves which is needed to help others and speaking directly to God which is very needed.

Just don't do it in church!!! when you gather together unless someone is known to be used to interpret and only then take turns.

gifts always follow if one is filled with the Holy Spirit, as in anointed of God.
It will be just like Acts when people were filled with the Power of the Holy Spirit. We don't have different experience than what the Bible teaches.

Holy Spirit:
Luk 11:13
If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?

God is not the Heavenly Father of everyone on Earth. You must be born again. What is born of Spirit is spirit. The Holy Spirit has a Work in every believer.

Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God. Nicodemus saith unto him, How can a man be born when he is old? can he enter the second time into his mother's womb, and be born? Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God. That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.
(Joh 3:3-6)

You must pass this process before you can call God father. Your sealed by the Holy Spirit unto the day of redemption.

Jesus was "born" again from the womb. He came into this earth with a right heart (spirit) It was later he was filled with power on high, by fire.

We don't skip steps Jesus had to go though. Same with the disciples, all were saved by Johns Water Baptism. They waited on the power though.

Luk 24:49
And, behold, I send the promise of my Father upon you: but tarry ye in the city of Jerusalem, until ye be endued with power from on high.

No power in your life, then it's time to seek and get if figured out real quick by faith. Just receive it's that easy. God does not make these things hard, it's us that make things hard.

We don't want to tell anyone they have all the Holy Spirit they will ever get by getting dunked in water. It's a great disservice to them.

blessings.

Last edited:
Please, all of you that are saying everyone must talk in tongues, stop with all of the Scriptures, Ive heard all of them hundreds if not thousands of times, I ask this because of my personal walk of faith with the Lord for these past 27 years, you will never convince me it is correct, I'm not saying I don't believe in talking in tongues, 25 years ago, as the Lord was preparing me for this ministry, I heard true talking in tongues and the interpretation, it was not only me, but the pastor, assistant pastor and elders of our church were present, I say that because in talking about the experience afterward we all "heard" the same thing, the voice of our Lord, John 10:27, we all knew in our spirit it was the Lord, we all sensed His presence, we all felt a tremendous peace and we all felt loved, which is the exact opposite of what I hear when listening to what some people call speaking in tongues.

But rather, let's talk about all of the people I have spoken with, that have their faith shipwrecked, shipwrecked because they didn't speak in tongues after hearing people tell them the same things you are saying, even as far as questioning their salvation (and you say I'm doing a disservice to people?), so what's the magic formula, tell me, they have told me the reason was they didn't have enough faith, well, they had enough faith to ask, why didn't Father give them speaking in tongues?

Second thing, if anyone needs to speak in a unknown language it's me, I've asked Father to give me the gift of speaking in tongues in the Tahitian language, many times, but it hasn't happened, however, He has supernaturally anointed our teaching ministry, the Holy Spirit has come upon us numerous times, and also, what we have heard Him say and stepped out in faith to do He has confirmed with supernatural natural miracles, He has miraculous healed both myself (very serious injuries and even some that were impossible for modern medicine to cure) and my wife too many times to count (even our meeting was a miracle), protected us from witches and warlocks trying to cast spells on us (I could go on, but like Paul said, I'm talking foolishly) so again I ask, what's the magic formula, you can't deny the evidence of the Lord working in our lives and anointing the gifts He has given us for ministry, ...and we don't speak in tongues.

Gene

Please, all of you that are saying everyone must talk in tongues, stop with all of the Scriptures, Ive heard all of them hundreds if not thousands of times, I ask this because of my personal walk of faith with the Lord for these past 27 years,

Gene, Please let me Help you here Brother. It's OK, I understand. We don't want to get to that place where we stop with all that scripture though. That scripture is designed to help us and get our thinking on straight. Just because I see something in scripture that I have asked God for, believed on it (So I thought) and yet don't have it, does not mean the scripture is wrong. There is something wrong with me and the way I am thinking and understanding it.

You have a personal Walk of faith, but is it real bible faith? We all run into by mistake the Real deal and see awesome things, but most don't know what Real bible faith is.

I have been teaching faith a long time and this week I have been spending my time in a simple easy to understand book on the subject that got me started many years back. Through the years I have let this reasoning get in the way of receiving from God and did not even know it. I teach faith, and I ought to have known better but I guess I don't if I don't take the time to renew my mind.

So let's get some facts straight:

Nobody's Faith Get's shipwrecked not speaking in tongues. If you had faith, and actually sought God on it you would be speaking in tongues. I know some folks, bless their hearts that have sought earnestly for a few years. Every time a call came up to get hands laid on them to be filled with the Holy Spirit, down they come with no results. Their faith is not shipwrecked because they are still hoping in God that someday they get what everyone else is getting.
Ten minutes with me most the time solves the issue. Not that I am special but nobody had taken the time to explain things to them.

Nobody's Salvation is in question if you don't speak in tongues. I Know some Apostolic groups say that nonsense but it's best to stay away from confused people and not listen to them. Just because groups of people are goofy, does not mean we are to pay them any attention. Someone telling me Jesus is the Brother of Satan is not going to bend me all out of shape, they get put on my goofy list with no other thought about it.

Magic Formula:

There is none, you have used it before in the past with amazing results, you just don't see that but I'll explain in a moment.

Witches and Warlocks:

I hate to break this to you, but there is no such thing. I use to believe in this also based on some very bad books I read and took hook line and sinker. In Fact in prison I had a group of occultist tell me they were going to cast spells on my christian group and send demons to our cells. I went right away to our leader my dear Brother Lockheart and explained in tears we need to pray and get ready.

He looked at me and laughed. He said.........."Mike, them witches after you? You best get to know'in Jesus Mike."

I was crushed, and I felt he did not get it. He was right though. Scripture says whosoever curses us, is cursed instead. Scripture also says give no place to the devil. If I don't give place to the devil, then no witch can do a thing. Devils are disobedient angels and witches are free to curse, vex me all day, but it means nothing. Fear of something gives the devil a place, and I certainly don't fear any hoodoo magic from some witch. Satan has no ability to give any human power that won't end up killing them. Satan and his minions don't take orders from people either.

A few Miracles does not mean be satisfied:
My son was healed of terminal cancer on the day he was suppose to be dead. No cancer found that day. I have cast out devils, laid hands on the sick and they recovered. That is no indication that I don't want everything the Word says I can have though. If Paul said I wish you all spoke in tongues and Jesus said those that believe on my name shall speak in new tongues, then good enough for me. If the Word says it's mine, then I seek until I find.

Asking God for a specific Language:
It don't work like that Brother. In fact praying in tongues the tongues can change as you get deeper into the Spirit. It says we speak mysteries to God, what that might be as Language goes can be anything not known on Earth. There are also cases ministers have spoken a foreign tongue to those that did understands through the Holy Spirit. We don't pick the language but will noticed the shift inside our spirit when and if the language changes.

Anyone that has asked for tongues and actually seek will find.
Faith never gives up. If someone gives up then they let their faith go and are only hoping. Hope won't recieve anything from God. Faith receives from God.
I had one guy get mad at me when I told him he did not seek tongues at all. He very adamantly said I don't know what I am talking about. He said for 8 weeks he was on his knee's seeking tongues and God did not give him tongues.
Bless his heart, he went a full 8 weeks of being on his knees every day. 8 weeks was about the value he put on a awesome gift. He was hoping but He was not in faith.

The so called Magic formula:
NOW Faith is the substance of things Hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. (Heb 11:1)

First Faith is NOW, and it's evidence you have what you hoped for though you don't see it yet. Now means now, not later.

Jesus said it this way.

Therefore I say unto you, What things soever ye desire, when ye pray, believe that ye receive them, and ye shall have them.
(Mar 11:24)

Everyone that has had the best Miracle of being Born again operated this very easy to understand principle. They went up to give their life to Jesus. They confessed with their mouth and believed in their heart. There was no evidence before or after, there was no certificate that just dropped out of Heaven to them after they were done getting born again. No angelic Horns blowing afterward. They just believed and knew they were saved.

After they gave their life to the Lord, Baptized, or however they did it for that church. No minister (the sane ones at least) have asked if they got born again or not. It's just a fact that if they confessed the Lord Jesus and were baptized they were saved. No questions asked, it's a done deal.
The greatest Miracle is just that easy.

Tongues is also just that easy.

We believe we receive first, then it's ours. They believe in their heart first and then confessed the Lord Jesus and were saved.

Faith says I have it, long before proof shows up. Look at Abraham who knew God was faithful and more than able to keep his promise. God changed the mans name to mean Father of many nations. Everywhere Abraham heard his name he was reminded of the promise.

So asking God for tongues, you would never say you don't speak in tongues. Not anymore than someone who gave their life to the Lord and say they don't think it worked this time, lets try again.

I had the same issue with tongues, but I don't give up if I see something in the Word I am suppose to have. I will tell my story later, but it did not come that easy until I got understanding and used the same simple principle of faith. Our heads like to get in the way and reason us out of things God has for us.

blessings.

Back