How do you memorize Bible verses?

I am really cute.......I am really cute.......I am really cute..........I am really cute...............I am really cute..........I am really cute......

Hey, it really worked!!!!!!!!!!!!
There is "delusion" and "denial" that goes with genuine belief.

I use the old mnemonic method...say out loud and write it down seven times in a row...then for one entire day keep taking it out and read it out loud...this technique uses mind, eyes, ears, muscles, nerves, and emotion...then trust that when you need it the Spirit WILL bring to your remembrance all He has taught you (and indeed He will even at the oddest times)

Thank you Brother Paul I really like the method you suggested and I am going to pick it up ASAP. So would you recommend I do just one verse a day? I mean one is better than none but I'm just curious if this method is most effective with one verse at a time rather than multiple? :)

From Pieces To Peace
The most rewarding way I have ever experienced is to simply read them over and over.
Example a scripture stands out and you want to get it deep into your heart.

Write it out and read it over and over.
Place a written copy all throughout your home.
Then when you walk by it, pick it up and read it out loud.

Use it in prayer and think on it much.

Now then remember there is a huge Difference between Head Knowledge and Having God's Word Deep Within Your Heart.

Just because you can quote a scripture from memory does not mean it will work for you or that it is in your heart.

When it comes to the Written Word of God, head knowledge can be very Useless if it is not deep in your heart.

How can you tell the difference?
Easy.......
Head Knowledge will not be backed by True Biblical Faith and will leave you questioning things. Such as will God do this or if God does not come through on this I won't make it and so on.

When the Word (scripture) is deep in your heart then nothing can move or sway you and doubt and unbelief won't be found in you.

Another example.
Head knowledge only.
.....you quote your scripture and begin to stand and our enemy begins to put doubt in you and questions begin to rise.
Now with head knowledge only, you begin to think about these things and doubt begins to grow and you have nothing (no solid faith or strength) to stand on.
You don't get the results hoped for.

Now then ... same situation but this time you have His word deep in your heart.
The enemy comes and begins with the thoughts, the difference here is now you have Faith that can rise up and cast the doubt and unbelief out of your head and chase the enemy away.
Now you can stand strong and waver not.

Look at this...Scripture tells us this over and over.

For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith.

Scripture went to the heart.
Heart means center or Spirit
Scripture did not say doubt in your head, mind or head knowledge But said In Your Heart.

Why?
Because if Faith is built up strong in your Spirit then it can chase the doubt and the enemies trickery out of your head and get the desired results.

Head knowledge only, has no faith to back it and will quickly fall prey to doubt. It can not stand and your spirit man is as a stick figure with a puffed up head.

No, we need to build our spirit man up with Faith which is as our Spiritual Muscles.

This is why Scripture instructs us to meditate on His Word. Keeping it in our Mouths, Eyes and Ears. This will build up the Spirit Man and Gives you Faith you can stand on.

So choose wisely how and why you want to memorize scripture.
Don't be deceived into head knowledge only.

Blessings my Friend
In His Grip
FCJ

I read the Bible regularly and I'm quite familiar with the stories. I can remember a sequence of events but I need some tips on how to study the bible in such a way that I will remember verses that are really important.
1. I rely on the Holy Spirit who gives verses and words to speak at the correct time.
2. A small concordance or Nave's Topical Bible will help as these books arrange verses under topic/subject headings.
So if you want to look up husband, or Samson, or sacrifice, for example, a concordance lists verses pertinent to these entries.

Reading your New Testament, psalms and proverbs over and over again also helps. This will give a good grasp of the basics about
who Jesus is, why he came, and what he accomplished. The epistles are about how we are to live this as new people transformed by the power of the gospel.

3. Witness to people. Preach the gospel. Practice makes perfect.

Thank you Pieces to Peace for posting this thread. I know FCJ wants to get back to the original point, but, the comments have really brought a smile to my face. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's getting older and has memory problems. Maybe, you could amend the post to 'asking anyone under 50':):):)

Thank you Pieces to Peace for posting this thread. I know FCJ wants to get back to the original point, but, the comments have really brought a smile to my face. Thank goodness I'm not the only one who's getting older and has memory problems. Maybe, you could amend the post to 'asking anyone under 50':):):)

Did you know your mind gets better with age?
Just a thought to ponder upon :)

You're welcome Annie and a thank you to everyone who's shared their jokes about struggling to remember stuff.

You know a few days ago I had bought a pair of shoes and I was struggling to reach for my wallet with the shoe-box in my hand, so I put the box down. I pull out my wallet; put the receipt in; put my wallet back in my pocket and leave without the shoes. Five minutes later I walk back into the store (looking like a dumb-dumb) and grab the shoe-box sitting in the middle of nowhere.

Seems to me like age is of no help when your brain decides it's just not going to function that day. :confused:

For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

So one can either accept God's word and act on it
Or
Make jokes which are words that are working against you.

It's simply your choice
Blessings
FCJ

Actually, repetition does help with memory. Constant reading of Scripture puts the basic truths in one's mind. A person may not be able to give the exact chapter and verse but they know what the Scripture says and can apply it to their life. And before anyone says "Oh but if you don't know the exact chapter and verse it doesn't count"... for many centuries the Bible didn't have chapters and verses...people just knew what it said.
I perhaps can't quote exact chapter and verse...but I know what the books of 1st and 2nd Timothy say because I have read them through repeatedly several times.
(My memory isn't that bad...I just joke about it.)
I recently saw something interesting (I think it was on Fox News) some sort of medical fellow was talking about memory. He said many, many people complain about their "bad" memory these days (like me)...even young people. He said he doesn't really think the issue is our minds. We live in an instant society, no one reads, ponders and meditates anymore. We're constantly bombarded by TVs, cell phones, computers, tablets, pads. We are so distracted and rushed by the trivial that we don't take time out to focus on the important.

Well to stay on topic with the OP I would like you all to know God has helped me memorize three verses so far. These verses are not random but each one God used to speak to me about a different situation. :)

Following the advice on this thread I wrote the verses down multiple times; I wrote them on post-it notes and put em up in my room and I read them out loud a couple of times a day. TQ for all the tips

Here are the verses (written from memory):
Isaiah 41:10
Fear not for I am with you; Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Matthew 5:43,44
You have heard the law that says 'Love you neighbor and hate your enemy', but I say love your enemies; pray for those who persecute you.
Matthew 25:40
The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'

Well to stay on topic with the OP I would like you all to know God has helped me memorize three verses so far. These verses are not random but each one God used to speak to me about a different situation. :)

Following the advice on this thread I wrote the verses down multiple times; I wrote them on post-it notes and put em up in my room and I read them out loud a couple of times a day. TQ for all the tips

Here are the verses (written from memory):
Isaiah 41:10
Fear not for I am with you; Be not dismayed for I am your God. I will strengthen you; yes, I will help you. I will uphold you with my righteous right hand.
Matthew 5:43,44
You have heard the law that says 'Love you neighbor and hate your enemy', but I say love your enemies; pray for those who persecute you.
Matthew 25:40
The King will reply, 'Truly I tell you, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me.'
Congratulations From Pieces To Peace

Hi, to each one his own...if I may add to this topic... It is a must to meditate of Gods word but if you will ask me if I "intentionally" memorize my answer is No. My experince is that whilemreading the Holy Spirit will speak a certain story or verse and I will dig deeper into that as the Spirit leads. I trust the Holy Spirit to reveal His words, from one scripture to,another. Paul said that the things of God is know to the Spirit of God and throught that I can remember the thought, idea of the what God is saying. I can rcall the writer and books at time but chapters and verse I don't. Jesus said that one of the work of the Holy Spirit is to bring to remembrance all the things we habe heard. Again, this is in my case. Godbless everyone and enjoy reading the word of God

Actually, repetition does help with memory. Constant reading of Scripture puts the basic truths in one's mind. A person may not be able to give the exact chapter and verse but they know what the Scripture says and can apply it to their life. And before anyone says "Oh but if you don't know the exact chapter and verse it doesn't count"... for many centuries the Bible didn't have chapters and verses...people just knew what it said.
I perhaps can't quote exact chapter and verse...but I know what the books of 1st and 2nd Timothy say because I have read them through repeatedly several times.
(My memory isn't that bad...I just joke about it.)
I recently saw something interesting (I think it was on Fox News) some sort of medical fellow was talking about memory. He said many, many people complain about their "bad" memory these days (like me)...even young people. He said he doesn't really think the issue is our minds. We live in an instant society, no one reads, ponders and meditates anymore. We're constantly bombarded by TVs, cell phones, computers, tablets, pads. We are so distracted and rushed by the trivial that we don't take time out to focus on the important.

YOu said.........
"We're constantly bombarded by TVs, cell phones, computers, tablets, pads. We are so distracted and rushed by the trivial that we don't take time out to focus on the important.".

That is so very, very true. I think that we are all involved in "Information Overload" more then we are in forgetfulness.

YOu said.........
"We're constantly bombarded by TVs, cell phones, computers, tablets, pads. We are so distracted and rushed by the trivial that we don't take time out to focus on the important.".

That is so very, very true. I think that we are all involved in "Information Overload" more then we are in forgetfulness.

Depends upon where a person's priorities are. Not everyone is immersed in these things. Many people are immersed in the Word of God. And not just students :)

But for the rest of the Believers who are out there acting like the world... I pray they wake up soon before it is to late.

Depends upon where a person's priorities are. Not everyone is immersed in these things. Many people are immersed in the Word of God. And not just students :)

But for the rest of the Believers who are out there acting like the world... I pray they wake up soon before it is to late.

Amen. Sometimes "late" comes way to early for some.

Back