Immaculate Conception

Status
Not open for further replies.
What are you talking about? Can you clarify everything you said? I'm trying to get on the same page as you.
In your thinking you think Scripture was penned by man which it was not. Man was only the pen God used to write to us.
It does not contain the words of man.

In your thinking you think Scripture was penned by man which it was not. Man was only the pen God used to write to us.
It does not contain the words of man.

No I don't. Where did you get that idea? Didn't you read where I said I believe the Scriptures are literally the written word of God?

Is that in the Bible?
Is the New Testament canon in the Bible?

No, the Bible was canonized well after the letters and Gospels had been written. You accept it because the church has traditionally accepted it. The canon is part of the Church tradition, don't you see? Tradition is not intended to mean the proliferation of man made ideas, it is meant as the recognition of doctrines God has revealed to the Church. One such revelation was scripture.

No I don't. Where did you get that idea? Didn't you read where I said I believe the Scriptures are literally the written word of God?

If there was any other means of gaining revelation it sure passed by the Apostle Paul, as he said....

1Co 4:6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other.

If there was any other means of gaining revelation it sure passed by the Apostle Paul, as he said....

1Co 4:6 Now, brothers and sisters, I have applied these things to myself and Apollos for your benefit, so that you may learn from us the meaning of the saying, "Do not go beyond what is written." Then you will not be puffed up in being a follower of one of us over against the other.

Any other means it not of God.

Can you clarify? not the passage, but your statement.

ATTENTION EVERYONE:

Moving forward, can we avoid trying to put words into each others' mouths and besmirching those we disagree with? It does no good. I would love to see this happen in every thread from now. We're adults. Let's act like it.

Can you clarify? not the passage, but your statement.

Believing anything outside what was written would be considered hearsay.

There was infighting among the Christian about who they liked best, Paul, Apollos, or Cephas. These were brought on by false brothers trying to cause fractions among the believers. Diotrephes was most likely one of them. Paul tells them to not go beyond and believe anything than what had been written.

Believing anything outside what was written would be considered hearsay.

There was infighting among the Christian about who they liked best, Paul, Apollos, or Cephas. These were brought on by false brothers trying to cause fractions among the believers. Diotrephes was most likely one of them. Paul tells them to not go beyond and believe anything than what had been written.

I understand now.
In a way, I agree with you. If we don't have written evidence for something, perhaps it ought not be accepted.

However, by accepting Sola Scriptura, that's precisely what you are doing--I don't think you mean to, but that's what it is. But even further, while the Bible does not teach Sola Scriptura (though of course it does teach Scriptural validity), it does teach Church authority, and it was Church authority, as guided by the Holy Spirit, that we now have a Bible--a compiled, canonized book of God's written word.

But does that mean God didn't't say it? What logic is there in trusting only God's written word and not his other teachings?

Christians only believe was has been written in the Word of God. Anything else you are only outside of the truth.

ROM 4:3= For what does the Scripture say? "And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."

ROM 10:11= For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed."

GAL 4:30= But what does the Scripture say? "Cast out the bondwoman and her son, For the son of the bondwoman shall not be an heir with the son of the free woman."

MAT 22:29= But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures, or the power of God.

LUK 24:27= And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

JOH 5:39 "You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me;

ACT 17:2= And according to Paul's custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

JOH 20:30= Many other signs therefore Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

ROM 1:16= For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith;as it is written, "But the righteous man shall live by faith."

1JO 5:13= These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life.

Christians only believe was has been written in the Word of God. Anything else you are only outside of the truth.

ROM 4:3= For what does the Scripture say? "And Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness."

ROM 10:11= For the Scripture says, "Whoever believes in Him will not be disappointed."

GAL 4:30= But what does the Scripture say? "Cast out the bondwoman and her son, For the son of the bondwoman shall not be an heir with the son of the free woman."

MAT 22:29= But Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not understanding the Scriptures, or the power of God.

LUK 24:27= And beginning with Moses and with all the prophets, He explained to them the things concerning Himself in all the Scriptures.

JOH 5:39 "You search the Scriptures, because you think that in them you have eternal life; and it is these that bear witness of Me;

ACT 17:2= And according to Paul's custom, he went to them, and for three Sabbaths reasoned with them from the Scriptures,

JOH 20:30= Many other signs therefore Jesus also performed in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book; but these have been written that you may believe that Jesus is the Christ, the Son of God; and that believing you may have life in His name.

ROM 1:16= For I am not ashamed of the gospel, for it is the power of God for salvation to everyone who believes, to the Jew first and also to the Greek. For in it the righteousness of God is revealed from faith to faith;as it is written, "But the righteous man shall live by faith."

1JO 5:13= These things I have written to you who believe in the name of the Son of God, in order that you may know that you have eternal life.
Not a single one of those scriptures says we should reject the teachings of God which are outside of the Bible.

"Keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us" (2 Thess. 3:6).

"So then, brothers and sisters, stand firm and hold fast to the teachings we passed on to you, whether by word of mouth or by letter." (2 Thess. 2:15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back